ADVERTISEMENT

East St. Louis week 9

This year is great example of why it only allows 5A-size East St. Louis to play 6A and not play 7A or 8A.
The two other playoff teams from their league are going to be 7A Edwardsville and 8A Belleville East.
Schools in a conference are partners and partners want to see each other succeed, preferably not at the cost of hurting each other.
By making EStL play 6A, it obviously increases the chances of Edwardsville having great success in 7A and Belleville East the same in 8A.
Placing EStL in 7A or 8A creates a Lord of the Flies situation in which league partners are eating each other.
Obviously, other conferences in the state have multiple teams in the same class as playoff rematches happen all the time.
But in cases involving public schools, a team moving up one or more classes intentionally to avoid other teams in the same conference obviously puts the school moving up at a disadvantage but does not harm conference partners in the bigger class.
If Rochester for example moves up from let’s say 4A to 6A, then Rochester is making it harder on itself and not harming league partners who might also be in 6A.
The EStL case is unique in that if the Flyers move up to 7A or 8A, they are harming their conference partners rather than themselves.
Finally, EStL is moving up from 5A to 6A where there are no conference partners located.
Playing 6A is best for the conference as a whole in the play.
And heck, one of the reasons I suspect the Chicago Catholic League/East Suburban Catholic has the four/team conferences is to maximize the number of teams in playoffs.
It makes sense for the CCL/ESCC to do that, and it also makes sense for the conference to do what it is doing with EStL.
I dont follow the Rochester comp. How are they not harming their 6a conf playoff partners if they move up to 6a?

Ignore the Rochester exsmple. It’s bad and stupid of me.
But the conference doing what is best for all teams in the league is what conferences are supposed to do.
And in this case with EStL such an outlier in terms of being unbelievably good, the league decision would seem to be the right one.
At least the Flyers play up one class.
you guys can probably make a short list of public schools that dominatedvtheir class year sfter year for a period of time and don’t play up a class.
I am one who thinks a 1a state title is every bit as important as an 8A title so I see why L-W plays 1A every year.

Eville is not winning 7A ... just saying.
Agree so with that logic how are they knocking Eville out of anything by playing 7A? or 8A same logic Belleville East isn't going to win anything. It's not like the Catholic leagues where you can have multiple champions. The SWC only chance of a champion is whatever class ESTL is in.

Agree so with that logic how are they knocking Eville out of anything by playing 7A? or 8A same logic Belleville East isn't going to win anything. It's not like the Catholic leagues where you can have multiple champions. The SWC only chance of a champion is whatever class ESTL is in.
I agree that those other teams in EStL’s conference won’t win 7a or 8A state titles. But depending on how fast they could draw the Flyers in their bracket, they might have a better chance of winning a game or two before being outclassed by a 7a or 8A foe.
What we can agree on is that the 7a and 8A brackets will be easier overall with the Flyers in 6a.
Obviously Edwards like could draw a Mt. Carmel early on and be out.
And Belleville E. Could draw Lincoln-Way East early on and be out.
But not having the Zglyers in their playoff class is is one team in the tourney that Belleville E. And Edwardsvile have no chance of beating.
Which actually brings up the point that some of Edgy’s participants seem to feel that the state title is not just the biggest goal but the only goal.
I suspect they are programs in the state every year having magical seasons to go 6-3 or 5-4 or 7-2 and win one playoff game vs. a chicago public league team due to luck of the draw and then get creamed in round 2 and the players and coaches and parents and student fans are thrilled with their season.
It’s possible that some 7a and 8A team this year is going to be thrilled with a playoff win because they didn’t face EStL. And if/when they get KO’d in the next round, they will still feel the season was a success.
Wil Rochester or Mt. Carmel or Lincoln-Wsy East feel great with a Round 2 loss? Obviously not.
But if the 256 playoff teams only 16 will make it to ISU and I m guessing that -50-175 of the teams will consider the season wonderful just to be playing Halloween weekend or into November.

Reactions: CIMRY90
I think it was more about post season success and not just winning state. You would want your conference to have as many wins in the playoffs as possible and spreading your conf teams around in multiple classes helps that.

Last edited:
I think it was more about post season success and not just winning state. You would want your conference to have as many wins in the playoffs as possible and spreading your conf teams around in multiple classes helps that.
👍

I agree that those other teams in EStL’s conference won’t win 7a or 8A state titles. But depending on how fast they could draw the Flyers in their bracket, they might have a better chance of winning a game or two before being outclassed by a 7a or 8A foe.
What we can agree on is that the 7a and 8A brackets will be easier overall with the Flyers in 6a.
But not having the Zglyers in their playoff class is is one team in the tourney that Belleville E. And Edwardsvile have no chance of beating.
Which actually brings up the point that some of Edgy’s participants seem to feel that the state title is not just the biggest goal but the only goal.
I suspect they are programs in the state every year having magical seasons to go 6-3 or 5-4 or 7-2 and win one playoff game vs. a chicago public league team due to luck of the draw and then get creamed in round 2 and the players and coaches and parents and student fans are thrilled with their season.
It’s possible that some 7a and 8A team this year is going to be thrilled with a playoff win because they didn’t face EStL. And if/when they get KO’d in the next round, they will still feel the season was a success.
Wil Rochester or Mt. Carmel or Lincoln-Wsy East feel great with a Round 2 loss? Obviously not.
But if the 256 playoff teams only 16 will make it to ISU and I m guessing that -50-175 of the teams will consider the season wonderful just to be playing Halloween weekend or into November.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Let's be honest - there are probably at most 50 programs in the state for whom a state title is a legitimate, serious aspiration. Everyone else will of course want to win a state championship, but just getting to the playoffs is an accomplishment, and every win they get is that much more of a treat. My high school team went 1-26 in my three years with varsity. For us to have even made the playoffs would've been cause for wild celebrations.

Reactions: Gene K.
7A and 8A though are 1-32. So they could easily end up opposite sides of the bracket. Not like 1-6A. So I don't think its right that you limit kids to a certain level of competition when they want to face stronger opponents.. Its like the CCL agruement people have when theres 4/5A teams facing 8A all season then get to play smaller schools. ESL is playing 7/8A and Nat'l ranked opponents then facing small schools. I get what you're saying but still. I feel like it brings attention to the conference negatively not positively. Last I agree with that for the majority of programs Playoffs and winning a game or 2 is the goal. But what about ESL's goal of playing the top teams to prove to themselves that they are the best.

Reactions: flyerforlife
I think the reason they play those brand name schools is because of the limitations imposed on them. Look at this schedule: https://www.maxpreps.com/il/east-st-louis/east-st-louis-flyers/football/schedule/

Only Eville has a SLIGHT chance in the conference. West and Alton ... Pa-Lease. Not even a glimmer of hope to compete with the JV team.

2019 was the year it went into effect - after that, they played airplane games.

Dick move by Eville to take the Flyers' WQeek 9 game, IMO.
I can't be the only one who hopes Eville gets taken to the woodshed by De Smet. Imagine ducking the only legitimate comp in your conference only to take a beating from a school ESL has handled with ease in the past. I'll take De Smet -20.5

[2023] De Smet Jesuit (St. Louis, MO) 38 (87%), [2023] Edwardsville (IL) 21 (13%)

Reactions: corey90
I can't be the only one who hopes Eville gets taken to the woodshed by De Smet. Imagine ducking the only legitimate comp in your conference only to take a beating from a school ESL has handled with ease in the past. I'll take De Smet -20.5

[2023] De Smet Jesuit (St. Louis, MO) 38 (87%), [2023] Edwardsville (IL) 21 (13%)
Who exactly did Edwardsville duck? And does anyone actually know what happened between Eastside and DeSmet or is there just hearsay and speculation? I’d like to know myself as all that I’ve heard is rumors.

Who exactly did Edwardsville duck? And does anyone actually know what happened between Eastside and DeSmet or is there just hearsay and speculation? I’d like to know myself as all that I’ve heard is rumors.
Desmet called ESL the last week in May and said sorry but Eville is a better fit and canceled the game. The crazy part is CBC is open week 9 and wanted to play Eville but not ESL. With the way Desmet beat CBC, I’m sure Eville is quietly regretting that decision.

ESL and Eville play Week 8. No conference game was canceled. THEY STOLE A GAME, that is my issue - Esl was to play DeSmet in Week 9.

Reactions: jha618
Desmet called ESL the last week in May and said sorry but Eville is a better fit and canceled the game. The crazy part is CBC is open week 9 and wanted to play Eville but not ESL. With the way Desmet beat CBC, I’m sure Eville is quietly regretting that decision.
Any idea on the actual reason why though? A “better fit” doesn’t really say a whole lot, especially when they’ve played in recent years. Any more story that touches beneath the surface of what ever the issue was? On one hand, rumors have been that DeSmet was scared. On the other hand, rumors have been that DeSmet was upset about ESL allegedly attempting to recruit DeSmet players. And wasn’t Edwardsville originally supposed to play Cardinal Ritter before switching for the DeSmet game?

*edit* I just double checked and Edwardsville was originally scheduled to play Cardinal Ritter on October 20 (week 9).

Last edited:
Any idea on the actual reason why though? A “better fit” doesn’t really say a whole lot, especially when they’ve played in recent years. Any more story that touches beneath the surface of what ever the issue was? On one hand, rumors have been that DeSmet was scared. On the other hand, rumors have been that DeSmet was upset about ESL allegedly attempting to recruit DeSmet players. And wasn’t Edwardsville originally supposed to play Cardinal Ritter before switching for the DeSmet game?

*edit* I just double checked and Edwardsville was originally scheduled to play Cardinal Ritter on October 20 (week 9).
Edwardsville was never playing Cardinal Ritter as they had a home and home with SLUH. Better fit meant they didn’t want a loss going into the playoffs. Thought they had a better chance with Eville. They made it to the Semis last year and wanted to get over the hump this year. I will call it strategic more than fear. The top WR for Edwardsville last year was a transfer from Desmet so that has nothing to do with it. Prior to Reed becoming the Head Coach at Desmet, there was absolutely no interest in playing ESL. ESL was a Reed deal.

Remember, this is the same Coach that refused to play Lutheran North when at JB as a conference opponent.

Edwardsville was never playing Cardinal Ritter as they had a home and home with SLUH. Better fit meant they didn’t want a loss going into the playoffs. Thought they had a better chance with Eville. They made it to the Semis last year and wanted to get over the hump this year. I will call it strategic more than fear. The top WR for Edwardsville last year was a transfer from Desmet so that has nothing to do with it. Prior to Reed becoming the Head Coach at Desmet, there was absolutely no interest in playing ESL. ESL was a Reed deal.

Remember, this is the same Coach that refused to play Lutheran North when at JB as a conference opponent.
Edwardsville was definitely scheduled to play Cardinal Ritter, but as far as DeSmet, what you’re saying is that this was basically on the new coach? I see.

Edwardsville was definitely scheduled to play Cardinal Ritter, but as far as DeSmet, what you’re saying is that this was basically on the new coach? I see.
Edwardsville was never scheduled to play Ritter from Ritter's stand point. I am very confident in that statement. As far as the other statement, I provided the information, you can conclude whatever you like.

Edwardsville was never scheduled to play Ritter from Ritter's stand point. I am very confident in that statement. As far as the other statement, I provided the information, you can conclude whatever you like.
Yeah, they were definitely scheduled to play. And that conclusion has nothing to do with what I like. That’s what your information appears to insinuate, which is completely fine either way. I was just curious if there was more detailed information available.

Dick move by Eville to take the DeSmet game from Flyer, but it was a Bitch move by Reed to back out of the agreement to play Flyer.

Yeah, they were definitely scheduled to play. And that conclusion has nothing to do with what I like. That’s what your information appears to insinuate, which is completely fine either way. I was just curious if there was more detailed information available.
So are you saying Ritter didn't have a home and home with SLUH?

So are you saying Ritter didn't have a home and home with SLUH?
I’m saying that they scheduled a game with Edwardsville. Obviously, there was some kind of mistake made or miscommunication and they had to cancel, which led to Edwardsville needing a new opponent which obviously became DeSmet.

Except the state treats it like a "lower" championship than they otherwise could play for. ESTL can compete with any team in the state. If they want to try they should be allowed to. Say Eville wins 7A after losing to ESTL by 30 in the regular season. I would feel like I ducked them and didn't deserve the title.
I think the opposite. If that hypothetically did happen it makes e side look that much better. Plus then the conference wins two titles in a year. It’s a good look for the SWC in my eyes.

I think the opposite. If that hypothetically did happen it makes e side look that much better. Plus then the conference wins two titles in a year. It’s a good look for the SWC in my eyes.
And now that we are on the state-championship topic and looking that much better, I have a question that is way way way way way premature, but it popped into my mind this afternoon, so here it is and if this has ever happened, that would be pretty darn amazing to me.
Question: Has any IHSA state championship team ever defeated eventual state champions from TWO other classes during the season?"
This was my Mt. Carmel thought for the day because they kind of have a gimme tonight. The team has already beaten East St. Louis and still has to play Loyola and could win that game.
Then, if East St.L., Loyola and Mt. Carmel all go on to win state titles, to me, that seems like a historical performance.
But obviously, I am looking miles and miles ahead.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT