ADVERTISEMENT

Easiest Path to semi’s in 6A, 7A and 8A

Mateesen14

Nov 14, 2003
Playoffs will never be power ranked and some teams get the shaft(Undefeated Washington playing 5-4 Provi). Wondering if anyone has identified a relatively easy path to the Semi’s.

Don’t know much about Yorkville or Normal West, but looks like Richards will be heavy favorite to reach Semi’s in 6A south.

Don’t know much about Yorkville or Normal West, but looks like Richards will be heavy favorite to reach Semi’s in 6A south.

I think that 6A bracket is interesting. I was surprised at the top quartile of the North from someone like a Phillips perspective - their road is brutal. Start with a tough Lake Forest who has beaten LZ and Stevie only to likely get Prairie Ridge and then Cary Grove (doubt they’ve seen triple option all year).

On the other hand, the bottom half on North it seems someone like Antioch avoids all this and toughest games are against Lakes - a rematch / conf opponent and maybe Niles ND who doesn’t have a particularly great win to date

Reactions: CG Fan
I think that 6A bracket is interesting. I was surprised at the top quartile of the North from someone like a Phillips perspective - their road is brutal. Start with a tough Lake Forest who has beaten LZ and Stevie only to likely get Prairie Ridge and then Cary Grove (doubt they’ve seen triple option all year).

On the other hand, the bottom half on North it seems someone like Antioch avoids all this and toughest games are against Lakes - a rematch / conf opponent and maybe Niles ND who doesn’t have a particularly great win to date
You beat Phillips by passing the football , run teams haven't had much success in recent years, especially the wing/option teams.

Looking at the 7A brackets, I feel Wheaton-Warrenville South has a good path to get to the semifinals. The Tigers should handle Belleville West, then beat either Hononegah or Buffalo Grove in the second round. Quarterfinal matchup would be against either Rolling Meadows or Normal Community likely, and I like WWS' chances there as well. A run to the 7A semis is very possible and would let the rest of the state know that the Tigers are back as a power after three straight 2-7 seasons.

Looking at the 7A brackets, I feel Wheaton-Warrenville South has a good path to get to the semifinals. The Tigers should handle Belleville West, then beat either Hononegah or Buffalo Grove in the second round. Quarterfinal matchup would be against either Rolling Meadows or Normal Community likely, and I like WWS' chances there as well. A run to the 7A semis is very possible and would let the rest of the state know that the Tigers are back as a power after three straight 2-7 seasons.
I was thinking the same about West.

my take on easiest paths

6a: Richards
7a: Batavia
8a: no real easy paths, but BEast probably has the easiest road.

Reactions: Tain33
Playoffs will never be power ranked and some teams get the shaft(Undefeated Washington playing 5-4 Provi). Wondering if anyone has identified a relatively easy path to the Semi’s.

Sorry to bust you guys bubble, But this is the playoffs there is NO easy path, Upsets are brewing in any given game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K. and Tain33
Apparently St Chuck North’s head coach thinks they will steamroll to the semis

Damn you stole my thunder!!

SCN has the easiest path to the semis fellas. Just go find their coaches twitter account and he'll let you know they're headed there. No big deal that he's never made it past the 2nd weekend, but this year with that juggernaut 6-3 team that beat only 1 playoff qualifier is somehow headed to the semis.

WWS will be lucky to make the quarters. This new DuKane conference was a little weak this year IMO. I expect it to be stronger in years to come but other than Batavia I don't see anyone making any noise.

I think all DuKane teams will win their first game in 7A, after that it's a crap shoot.. I'm sending some good Karma toward STE, I believe in miracles..

Reactions: markmacaluso

why is it you think lake forest is any better than cls, or nd, or stiggy?
kaneland probably plays the tougher schedule than any of these teams. cg, pr play each other, the better one makes the top seed. but, looking at kaneland, st iggy, nd, or kenwood for that matter they beat fenwick, if kenwood plays phillips, this is a toss up. anyone of those teams in the top bracket plays nd or st iggy for that matter is in a dog fight.
same with the south brackets. you have teams that match up well against each other, you have teams that play to eithers strengths and weaknesses.
great football to be played. if you think just because of name recognition they win. you are mistaken.
there are no slouches in the south. rock island always tough, Yorkville same as kaneland they beat each other up. and springfield beat shg. toss up, you need to play/beat each team in front of you no matter when or where.
the only solace you get if you lost, is that the team that beat you goes all the way.

SCN has the easiest path to the semis fellas. Just go find their coaches twitter account and he'll let you know they're headed there. No big deal that he's never made it past the 2nd weekend, but this year with that juggernaut 6-3 team that beat only 1 playoff qualifier is somehow headed to the semis.

WWS will be lucky to make the quarters. This new DuKane conference was a little weak this year IMO. I expect it to be stronger in years to come but other than Batavia I don't see anyone making any noise.

Just watched the video on his Twitter! He must have had too much to drink by that point in the playoff show to allow that to be live streamed from his account.... but it is still there so maybe not a valid excuse anymore?! Anyone who watches that and doesn’t have some desire to see them lose early is a better man than I.

In his defense my bracket does have STN making it to semi's. Just saying. Could be wrong, But I think they will make it.

Homewood-Flossmoor has a path paved with lucky shamrocks. They should be a final four team.Signed IG88. We are the best in Red. By the way our first round game is sold out.

Based on that video, did StCN throw the game against WWS looking for a better path through the playoffs? If not, I would think the rematch against WWS would get them more excited instead of assuming they would win the second time around.

Based on that video, did StCN throw the game against WWS looking for a better path through the playoffs? If not, I would think the rematch against WWS would get them more excited instead of assuming they would win the second time around.

SCN didn’t throw anything they just lost. I’m sure WWS would be excited for the rematch since they get one of their best offensive players back this week.

This isn’t a classic blow you off the field WWS team they play really good defense and special teams with a pretty average offense that doesn’t turn the ball over. They won’t play any team that can’t beat them but at the same time they are capable a beating anyone if they play well. If they look past Belleville they will lose, but if they stay focused and don’t shoot themselves in the foot they will be a tough out.

SCN didn’t throw anything they just lost. I’m sure WWS would be excited for the rematch since they get one of their best offensive players back this week.

This isn’t a classic blow you off the field WWS team they play really good defense and special teams with a pretty average offense that doesn’t turn the ball over. They won’t play any team that can’t beat them but at the same time they are capable a beating anyone if they play well. If they look past Belleville they will lose, but if they stay focused and don’t shoot themselves in the foot they will be a tough out.

I have a ton of respect for WWS and you typically have to bring your A game to beat them regardless of record. I just thought it was strange for a conference opponent to mention Semi's when they have to play a team they lost to in the Quarters if they are lucky to make it that far. Nothing is guaranteed in the playoffs.

I have a ton of respect for WWS and you typically have to bring your A game to beat them regardless of record. I just thought it was strange for a conference opponent to mention Semi's when they have to play a team they lost to in the Quarters if they are lucky to make it that far. Nothing is guaranteed in the playoffs.

LTHS - It goes beyond strange that a coach would put a video on twitter stating they are "going to the semis" before playing their first playoff game. Especially for a team that is 6-3 and a program that hasn't done anything in their playoff history. Among many adjectives that could be used to describe his actions, I would use classless and moronic. Who knows if they will even get to play against WWS again, as both teams would have to win their first two games for this to happen. Sure this is possible, but as CB pointed out, WWS won't play any team that can't beat them in the first two rounds, but I believe they are also capable of beating any of the teams they may play in those rounds. I believe the same can be said about SCN. Regardless how things play out, it's shocking to me that a coach would choose to put that on social media. For me, it adds some validity to some of the negative comments that have been posted about the SCN program by several posters. Programs tend to reflect the behaviors of their coaches.

What's with the PC crowd? He feels like they're going to the semi's and let the world know. I commend it. Go head coach. Now he has made a challenge for his team, let's see if they respond.

What's with the PC crowd? He feels like they're going to the semi's and let the world know. I commend it. Go head coach. Now he has made a challenge for his team, let's see if they respond.

I have no problems with his confidence or challenging his team. Doing it in a public way in my mind and dismissing the other 7 teams in his quadrant is the problem. As a parent, I would not want my son or daughter playing for a coach who acts like this.

Bones needs
i guess being humble and respectful isn’t important anymore.

Reactions: King MJ
i guess being humble and respectful isn’t important anymore.
I guess I've seen much worse from coaches that didn't get a mention. I see people whining daily about being PC in much more important issues, just to see people demand this guy not say his team should make the semi-finals. If teams are that offended, put it up on your board in the locker room and make SCN pay for such arrogance. If they beat you, then silencio.

I believe Naz has the easiest path to the semis in class 7A. Andrew, Lincoln Way central in the 2nd round ( most likely) and then Simeon in the quarter finals.

I guess I've seen much worse from coaches that didn't get a mention. I see people whining daily about being PC in much more important issues, just to see people demand this guy not say his team should make the semi-finals. If teams are that offended, put it up on your board in the locker room and make SCN pay for such arrogance. If they beat you, then silencio.
Has nothing to do about political correctness, it’s about being a teacher and leader of young men. I bet the highly successful coaches from programs like WWS and LWE wouldn’t say that, only a wanna be. I guess we’ll see

A very progressive coaching style, an I am one of you approach for the students, video game room, and a style unto his own. Why not? Read about the guy first....that and he is young.

I believe Naz has the easiest path to the semis in class 7A. Andrew, Lincoln Way central in the 2nd round ( most likely) and then Simeon in the quarter finals.

Playing Simeon in the quarters is an easy path, eh?

A very progressive coaching style, an I am one of you approach for the students, video game room, and a style unto his own. Why not? Read about the guy first....that and he is young.

If they were 9-0 then maybe so. Respect the teams that beat you period. Especially the team that beat you the night before!

Different approach is great. He has developed a lot of individual talent, but the team has consistently lacked discipline.

Last year his team was arguably the most talented team in 7A, yet St. Rita ran roughshod over them in the playoffs.

This year with a less talented team and no high-quality regular season wins (Sorry SCE), he is talking trash. Sorry, no sympathy here.

Is it the coaches goal to move players along to be ready at the next level? Does Homewood-Flossmoor not fill the bill as the south sides St. Charles North? A little loose discipline wise but developing talent for the next level? Sorry for all the questions.

Is it the coaches goal to move players along to be ready at the next level? Does Homewood-Flossmoor not fill the bill as the south sides St. Charles North? A little loose discipline wise but developing talent for the next level? Sorry for all the questions.

Since only 6% of high school seniors go on to play football in college (at all levels), I don't think a high school coach's primary goal is to move players along to the next level. The coaches that I played for were excellent in teaching the aspects of the game, but were also very good at teaching life lessons that I have utilized through all aspects of my life, including work, family and coaching that I have done. That's the value that I believe a good coach can bring to his players. I'm not sure how dis-respecting potential playoff opponents is considered a progressive style of coaching or is teaching the players anything of value. To me, he comes off like a complete a'hole.

It's one thing to show confidence and, I would even be ok with someone showing some cockiness, if they had actually done anything in their history to warrant it. SCN has played 4 teams that qualified for the playoffs this season and lost to 3 of them. They have never been past the second round of the playoffs. Not much to hang your hat on from an accomplishment standpoint. As Bones points out, the best way to shut up someone who likes to talk is to beat them on the field. The teams that this coach dis-respected will have the chance to do that.

It's a new day. The social media age. People post everything. If teams feel disrespected then "learn them some respect" and when you beat them tell him to put some respeck on your name.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with his methods. I'm saying the correct response is to beat them.

Reactions: go dogz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT