ADVERTISEMENT

Early round “state championships”

Mateesen14

Nov 14, 2003
As I was filling out my bracket challenge. I was going back and forth between Wilmington and Bishop Mac, knowing I was going to pick one of those two teams to win it all…I am probably very wrong in this scenario, but was wondering if anyone can think of early round match ups in the past where the “consensus” top two teams in a class met early in the playoffs(the argument doesn’t work if the winner of that matchup didn’t end up winning state)

It happens fairly frequently, especially in the lower classes. 1A is typically the Nuic regional in one bracket with the winner as the clear favorite at state.
For a long time, 3A was dominated by the North bracket, but the south has won the past couple times.

In 2016, Belleville Althoff and Rochester met in the quarterfinals. Althoff had won in the 2015 quarterfinals 46-42 before losing in the championship to Phillips. Rochester won this time 48-47, after trailing by 19 in the 3rd quarter. They went on to win their semi-final by 28 points and the 4A championship by 24.

This is dating me, but in 1990 in 4A JCA played Morris on the opening Wednesday game. Both were undefeated and I believe Morris was ranked nationally. JCA won 36-10 and went on to win the state championship.

Reactions: rjjtwest and JAYC14
As I was filling out my bracket challenge. I was going back and forth between Wilmington and Bishop Mac, knowing I was going to pick one of those two teams to win it all…I am probably very wrong in this scenario, but was wondering if anyone can think of early round match ups in the past where the “consensus” top two teams in a class met early in the playoffs(the argument doesn’t work if the winner of that matchup didn’t end up winning state)
CG and PR…which seems like every other year.

Reactions: atrain97
I can’t get into the brackets other than 8A. I have finished that but how do I get to 7A and beyond on the Pickit?

Easily, the 2013 2nd round game at Gately, St. Rita v Mt. Carmel. The Caravan won 20-15. Not only did I argue at the time that it was the two best teams in 7A but the two best teams in the state.

Mt. Carmel went onto defeat Downers Grove North 7-0 (Rain, 30mph winds) in the infamous ‘DGN won’t get past the 50 yard line game’ but then won the semi and championship by a combined score of 64-7.

In 8A, Naperville Central beat Loyola Academy 13-10 for the state championship. St. Rita defeated Loyola (their last victory over them) 31-19 in week 9 with Penn out for Loyola.

Quads in that block of years really set up the SR v MC matches early but that was the year that both were the legitimate (while understanding and appreciating other school’s fans’ arguments) #1 and #2 teams in the state happening in R2. That MC defense was special. Grab a tape of them that year to show your front seven how it is supposed to look.

Easily, the 2013 2nd round game at Gately, St. Rita v Mt. Carmel. The Caravan won 20-15. Not only did I argue at the time that it was the two best teams in 7A but the two best teams in the state.

Mt. Carmel went onto defeat Downers Grove North 7-0 (Rain, 30mph winds) in the infamous ‘DGN won’t get past the 50 yard line game’ but then won the semi and championship by a combined score of 64-7.

In 8A, Naperville Central beat Loyola Academy 13-10 for the state championship. St. Rita defeated Loyola (their last victory over them) 31-19 in week 9 with Penn out for Loyola.

Quads in that block of years really set up the SR v MC matches early but that was the year that both were the legitimate (while understanding and appreciating other school’s fans’ arguments) #1 and #2 teams in the state happening in R2. That MC defense was special. Grab a tape of them that year to show your front seven how it is supposed to look.
This is the year I thought of too. The defensive front was exceptional that year. And the last drive of that round 2 game MC went Jumbo package and had Richardson & Smith as lead blockers for Domer. It was an old school rough and tumble drive.

Reactions: RockSoup
While both are contenders, they would not be considered the "consensus" picks to win 7A
Until we see Rita at full strength, I believe the consensus pick is TBD. Except for ESTL, no one else has a player like that on their roster.

KB is the type of player who can make a two-touchdown difference in a game. Can run 75 yards for a touchdown on a simple toss play. With a guy of that stature, the energy and momentum shifts in his teams favor on a frequent basis.

Is there any input on his work ethic from St Rita fans? He is, without a doubt, a phenomenal talent.

Reactions: RockSoup and USD24
Until we see Rita at full strength, I believe the consensus pick is TBD. Except for ESTL, no one else has a player like that on their roster.

KB is the type of player who can make a two-touchdown difference in a game. Can run 75 yards for a touchdown on a simple toss play. With a guy of that stature, the energy and momentum shifts in his teams favor on a frequent basis.

Is there any input on his work ethic from St Rita fans? He is, without a doubt, a phenomenal talent.
Everything I heard and seen from the stands is that he is a hard worker.

As far as the type of person he is, some things that stood out to me were:

His Soph year when he was on varsity, Marian Central Catholic Sophs had to come in on a Monday to play the SR Sophs. He stood and watched his teammates from freshman year and his classmates in some miserable weather the whole game after he had finished his varsity practice. I thought that was cool.

This year I’ve seen him being extremely into the Nazareth game from the sideline, coaching up the Soph RBs when they got their starts on Varsity this year, seen him at St. Rita hockey games, seen him talking to all the 7th and 8th graders that come out to the football games. It left me with the impression that he’s fully engaged and enjoying his HS experience. And I think he’s humble and hard working.

I stopped speculating on when he will be on the field this year.

2004 they put MC and SR against each other in the first round with MC winning in OT 20-14. Providence was the favorite that year and MC faced them in the semi finals and lost going for 2 points and the win but PC, MC and SR were the three best that season

Reactions: RockSoup
You give me Batavia and Mt. Carmel to win 7A, I'll give you the other 30 teams. Let me know how much you want to bet.
Batavia and MC are really solid teams, but not dominant in any sense, based on the games I've seen.

I'd take that bet with a potential BR, Wheaton North, a club that took Batavia to overtime, and a title game on the horizon.

MC is a team you can take against the field in 7A next year.

Reactions: missingwalter
2004 they put MC and SR against each other in the first round with MC winning in OT 20-14. Providence was the favorite that year and MC faced them in the semi finals and lost going for 2 points and the win but PC, MC and SR were the three best that season
CCL had a fantastic year in 2004. PC and MC were defeated by BR. BR was defeated by SR and LWE. BR later defeated Rita in the prep bowl and complete the season with a 12-2 record.

That BR club has to be considered among the state's real title contenders. Only a few teams had a legitimate chance to win state, and this team was one of them.

This is dating me, but in 1990 in 4A JCA played Morris on the opening Wednesday game. Both were undefeated and I believe Morris was ranked nationally. JCA won 36-10 and went on to win the state championship.
Mike Wright was on that Morris team I believe. He later matriculated at NW on the Rose Bowl run.

Reactions: USD24
There have been many years in the 5A bracket where I’ve felt there were at least 4 teams in the North bracket that would beat the south bracket runner up that makes it to the state game.

Driscoll v Wilmington 2004 quarterfinals stands out
Unbelievable game to be at. The atmosphere and quality of competition was something else. Wilmington had their chances in the game, but it wasn't meant to be that night. I'll never forget the look on the Wilmington players faces as they walked off the field.

Reactions: rocketnation
You’re probably right, I likely bought into ACs schedule more than I should have, as well as, knowing very little about 1a.

You’re probably right, I likely bought into ACs schedule more than I should have, as well as, knowing very little about 1a.
Aurora Christian had a division one quarterback the last two times they played Lena and couldn’t keep it close.

I am of the opinion that their schedule makes them a scary 1A playoff team, is completely overrated.

If when you play good teams in the regular season and are completely over matched, that doesn’t mean anything. Back when they were winning state titles they were beating ST Francis, Marmion, IC, etc. Not the case anymore and they are completely over matched when they play those schools at the current moment.

Last edited:
Aurora Christian had a division one quarterback the last two times they played Lena and couldn’t keep it close.

I am of the opinion that their schedule makes them a scary one a playoff team, is completely overrated.

And if when you play good teams in the regular season and are completely over matched, that doesn’t mean anything. Back when they were winning state titles they were beating ST Francis, Marmion, IC, etc. Not the case anymore and they are completely over matched when they play those schools at the current moment.
100% agree. I've seen Aurora Christian play the past couple of seasons against Chicago Christian. They are a good ,solid team but don't appear to be State championship material . This is not the AC teams of the past

Driscoll v Wilmington 2004 quarterfinals stands out
Wilmington's other example would be 2016, when IC pasted everyone on the way to the title but the Wildcats scored 14 points in the quarterfinal game at IC, while IC only gave up 14 total points in the other 4 games...

E. St. Louis vs Glenbard North in 2016 2nd round match up (I think). Those were clearly the two best teams in 7a that year and it was an entertaining game that should have been the championship game. There was a bit of controversy at the end, but ESL won the game on a last second, come from behind, hail mary touchdown to Jeff Thomas. Hell of a game!

Reactions: flyerforlife
This game will be closer than years past but only because LW isn’t what they used to be. LW still by 3 scores.

LW vs Forreston the following week will be the state championship for 1A.

100% agree. I've seen Aurora Christian play the past couple of seasons against Chicago Christian. They are a good ,solid team but don't appear to be State championship material . This is not the AC teams of the past
LW wins 54 to 7. Yikes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT