ADVERTISEMENT

Does JCA allow early graduation?

mc140

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Or are these kids with drawing this week to graduate early from their local public school?

If true I’m hoping JCA is letting them graduate early. If they leave and enroll early at a Public School then bail to Illinois they are officially not JCA Alums....if that matters to them. This is an issue that Catholic schools have never allowed, mostly because of the 4 yr Religion requirements, but I think they need to start allowing, especially to students with high GPA and in good standings in all their classes. Hell make it an incentive!

It was my understanding that if one does not complete the 4 year religious studies requirement leaving at Semester would be without a diploma.
That may no longer be the case but was until recently and likely still may be.

Could they allow it with Summer school before senior year?
If so I’m guessing it would have been done numerous times by now but I’ve never heard it done at a Catholic school. Some of these players are a bit too excited to leave. Stay and finish, last semester of your senior year is a memorable one!

If so I’m guessing it would have been done numerous times by now but I’ve never heard it done at a Catholic school. Some of these players are a bit too excited to leave. Stay and finish, last semester of your senior year is a memorable one!
Exactly. I had enough credits to graduate after 1st semester senior year, but played baseball. And frankly, senior year was an absolute blast!

While I agree with you, if you are a D1 football player at a power five school, you want to participate in spring practice, especially if other recruits are. Don't want to fall behind right out of the gate.

While I agree with you, if you are a D1 football player at a power five school, you want to participate in spring practice, especially if other recruits are. Don't want to fall behind right out of the gate.

Most of these kids end up red shirting regardless of enrollment time.

Reactions: ClownBaby
Definitely see the upside and think it should be allowed across the board, like I said above make it an incentive if they have high GPA and are on track. D’s and below, No! But if they aren’t in the school’s immediate plans and they plan to redshirt you, then finish out your school year. Justin Lynch finished his senior year at MC and was the starter at Temple by the end of the year. Kenenna Odeluga saw the field a bit for Illinois as a true freshman. They will leave about a week after graduation and start summer workouts so they will be given their time to shine. Just my two cents on it.

Enrolling early also helps on the academic side. You can get a start on your credits which allows for a lighter course load offer the 4 years when you have a full season. If they redshirt it gets them closer to a masters in 5 years with summer work.

Considering the ubiquity/omnipresence of Newman (Neuman?) Centers across college campuses, couldn't they provide the missing semester to the early enrollee during the Winter /Spring semester? Or for new Illini, St.Thomas More as a transfer credit?

Reactions: mullin17
The interesting technicality here is what do they do with inbound public school transfers? Come in as a senior and you need to take 8 religion courses? It seems to be a cash grab more than anything for the school.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
The interesting technicality here is what do they do with inbound public school transfers? Come in as a senior and you need to take 8 religion courses? It seems to be a cash grab more than anything for the school.
A bylaw/grad requirement certainly addresses. But yeah - there is some hypocracy. Or do a summer project - earn the credit. It's not any surprise if you are an early grad/spring ball caliber of player.

Seems like they could satisfy the requirement on an online basis if they believed it to be necessary.

I always said this. How can they let in transfers but then not let kids graduate early due to the religion aspect. These 2 are probably leaving JCA this week, finishing via home school options and enrolling in January. There's all types of ways around it these days. They just keep it hush hush until after the season.

Reactions: McCaravan
I always said this. How can they let in transfers but then not let kids graduate early due to the religion aspect. These 2 are probably leaving JCA this week, finishing via home school options and enrolling in January. There's all types of ways around it these days. They just keep it hush hush until after the season.
Not sure how hush hush it is as Anderson told a reporter in a post game interview

Catholic schools do not allow this....
Let’s correct this slightly, Catholic schools in Illinois do not allow early graduation. The OP has the most Valid point that the school is making a cash grab. I had a long discussion with Catholic school admins on this topic about 9 years ago and then about 5 years ago and was told, “no university with integrity would request a HS student athlete to graduate early and begin their college years ahead of schedule”. They cited there was No Way Notre Dame or Michigan would ever request this type of behavior(we know this is now untrue). They are not helping the Student Athlete by retaining them in HS, they are actually limiting them from earning advanced degrees. It’s time the the Illinois Catholic schools to catch up and allow kids that are willing to do the work to join their colleagues that are going the early enrollment route.

After last year’s quick-decision, policy-changing environment, the admins can’t argue that change takes a lot of time.

It’s a no-brainer that an internet-delivered class can satisfy any requirement. Any admin pushback is just being needlessly obtuse.

Gents, there is an individual that will be the first to graduate in December from a Private school in the state of Illinois. Mr. Kaden Kobb from Fenwick will be taking part in early graduation this month & heading to Ball State in Jan. This plan was put in place a couple of years ago. Game changer.

Gents, there is an individual that will be the first to graduate in December from a Private school in the state of Illinois. Mr. Kaden Kobb from Fenwick will be taking part in early graduation this month & heading to Ball State in Jan. This plan was put in place a couple of years ago. Game changer.
Great news!

If true I’m hoping JCA is letting them graduate early. If they leave and enroll early at a Public School then bail to Notre Dame they are officially not JCA Alums....if that matters to them. This is an issue that Catholic schools have never allowed, mostly because of the 4 yr Religion requirements, but I think they need to start allowing, especially to students with high GPA and in good standings in all their classes. Hell make it an incentive!

FIFY. Is this better or, well, do you get my point? ;)

WADR to "the plan", it's not advanced astrophysics. The schools just wanted more tuition. All of em the same.

Reactions: mchsalumni
Let’s correct this slightly, Catholic schools in Illinois do not allow early graduation. The OP has the most Valid point that the school is making a cash grab. I had a long discussion with Catholic school admins on this topic about 9 years ago and then about 5 years ago and was told, “no university with integrity would request a HS student athlete to graduate early and begin their college years ahead of schedule”. They cited there was No Way Notre Dame or Michigan would ever request this type of behavior(we know this is now untrue). They are not helping the Student Athlete by retaining them in HS, they are actually limiting them from earning advanced degrees. It’s time the the Illinois Catholic schools to catch up and allow kids that are willing to do the work to join their colleagues that are going the early enrollment route.
ND started accepting early enrollees in 2006, so they must have not been paying attention.

Reactions: jwarigaku
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT