ADVERTISEMENT

Destruction of 6A Brought to You by the SW Conference

No
I am just saying any team is beatable. ESL might be the best team in the state but all I am saying the road would be harder in the higher classes. If for no other reason their is a ton of good teams this year in 7 & 8A.

which is understood. I am saying that is his opinion. I am an ESL guy and I am not ready to make that claim just yet however if he is, I can respect his opinion.

Last edited:
Call me crazy but I kinda feel like Glenwood and Prairie Ridge both have shot at them. EStL is the clear favorite but I think those teams are way better then people think and can pull the upset.
I picture ESL trouncing Glenwood and PR doing the same to Deerfield. Beyond that all I know is I’ll be parked in easy chair facing a screen with a turkey leg in one hand and an old fashioned in the other.

Reactions: Wolffan64
Then you haven’t been watching the right teams in Ohio and Georgia for the past 35-40 years. ESL is a great team but no chance they are the best team anyone has seen in 40 years when including those two states. ESL is dominating games right now, but let’s not be prisoners of the moment, I think there’s a couple teams who could hang with them.
Where did I say they are better than anyone has seen? I said better than what I have seen.

I saw the Gerry Faust Moeller teams in the 70s/80s.

I saw the St. Ignatius teams of the 80s. The McKinley, St. X and Glenville teams in the 90s.

I’ve been watching IHSA since 1995. I go to games every weekend. I was at the JCA/RB game. I saw plenty of MS games in the 2000s. I have seen some of the best MC, JCA, and DVC teams.

I don’t need to justify my opinion. And that is what it is. What is yours?

I don’t need to justify my opinion. And that is what it is. What is yours?
My opinion is that ESL is a top 5 program in Illinois and they are a great team this year. They are not the best team to play in Illinois in the past 10 years. I believe a few teams this season would be able to keep a game close with ESL and when the game is close, anything can happen.

Also I believe football in the Southeast is a different monster. I believe the top teams in Georgia would be able to handle ESL.

You have your opinion and I have mine. That’s why they’re opinions and not facts.

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
My opinion is that ESL is a top 5 program in Illinois and they are a great team this year. They are not the best team to play in Illinois in the past 10 years. I believe a few teams this season would be able to keep a game close with ESL and when the game is close, anything can happen.

Also I believe football in the Southeast is a different monster. I believe the top teams in Georgia would be able to handle ESL.

You have your opinion and I have mine. That’s why they’re opinions and not facts.

so which ESL game did you watch this year?

No
I am just saying any team is beatable. ESL might be the best team in the state but all I am saying the road would be harder in the higher classes. If for no other reason their is a ton of good teams this year in 7 & 8A.
We can only play who they allow us to. As always, the Flyers never get their due credit. Anytime someone (Chicagoland folks) has an opinion, it’s subjective. If we win state this year people will say...it was 6A. No real competition. That’s just the way it goes for the school with the most wins in the state of Illinois. Hate us or love us, the underdogs on top this year.

We can only play who they allow us to. As always, the Flyers never get their due credit. Anytime someone (Chicagoland folks) has an opinion, it’s subjective. If we win state this year people will say...it was 6A. No real competition. That’s just the way it goes for the school with the most wins in the state of Illinois. Hate us or love us, the underdogs on top this year.
Y'all just get to dominate 6A for the next decade before a change is made

The only team I respect up north is Mt Carmel. They put us out the quarterfinals 2 years in a row. Until we can close out great programs like that, we are not the best. We just have a good team this year.

Tez - aren’t all opinions subjective? That’s why they’re opinions and not facts. I don’t want to take anything away from ESL, I have stated multiple times in threads that ESL plays any and all comers and doesn’t hide from anyone. I just don’t agree with the statement that no one in 6A, 7A or 8A is beating ESL this season. And that they’re firepower is too much for anyone.

Have to agree with you there. What’s the point of an all inclusive top 30 poll when it’s dominated with 7A and 8A schools? It stands to reason that higher enrollment turns out more talent. Those are the facts. You wouldn’t rank a D3 school in the same poll as D1 so why is high school different?

So one game? If so, it makes sense.
Yes one game, I don’t watch a ton of ESL games but it is what it is. Why does my opinion that there are other teams that could play with them bother you? It takes nothing away from their great season and upcoming 6A title.

Agree 100%. I only have what I have seen to form an opinion. I haven’t seen Warren, Marist, or BR. Can they hang with East Side? Absolutely. But based on what I have seen they are the best I’ve seen.

Have to agree with you there. What’s the point of an all inclusive top 30 poll when it’s dominated with 7A and 8A schools? It stands to reason that higher enrollment turns out more talent. Those are the facts. You wouldn’t rank a D3 school in the same poll as D1 so why is high school different?

D3 and D1 has absolutely nothing to do with enrollment. No way can you compare the two. Naz has only 500 students right? Why are we going there. Let’s not get it confused. Both 7A and 8A are generally tougher than 6A. A great team in either of those classes can win state in the other.

Tez - aren’t all opinions subjective? That’s why they’re opinions and not facts. I don’t want to take anything away from ESL, I have stated multiple times in threads that ESL plays any and all comers and doesn’t hide from anyone. I just don’t agree with the statement that no one in 6A, 7A or 8A is beating ESL this season. And that they’re firepower is too much for anyone.
Lol they won’t beat us this year. We played 2 8A teams, 1 7a team and currently are running the table in 6A. If we win state....(no one in 6A,7A or 8A is beating them) would be a true statement.

Reactions: caravan8
Yes one game, I don’t watch a ton of ESL games but it is what it is. Why does my opinion that there are other teams that could play with them bother you? It takes nothing away from their great season and upcoming 6A title.

To be clear it don’t bother me at all. I welcome your opinion. I asked which game just so I can see what you are basing your opinion on. MC beat Marmion 6-0 this year. I am sure there are opinions based on that game. I am not hear to say who is right or wrong. I just like to understand how the opinion was formed. This is a good forum discussion.

Reactions: caravan8
Even more food for thought, why make a Chicagoland top 30 of you have teams in southern Illinois that would be ranked higher than some Chicago schools? It should be an IHSA top 30.

Reactions: Gene K.
Lol they won’t beat us this year. We played 2 8A teams, 1 7a team and currently are running the table in 6A. If we win state....(no one in 6A,7A or 8A is beating them) would be a true statement.
. I like it. Good luck to ESL the rest of the way.

Reactions: Tez711
If ESL played up in 7 or 8A the road would be much different for your beloved Flyers.
I don’t even know why I respond to such non-sense because they will never play.

Hmmm, you do realize that we put up 66 on NC in their house with their entire season on the line???? NC came out amped as ever talking all types of trash to our players. Last two scores were by our second string offense.

Did the “Beast” put a running clock on NC at a time when they had even less to lose??

Even more food for thought, why make a Chicagoland top 30 of you have teams in southern Illinois that would be ranked higher than some Chicago schools? It should be an IHSA top 30.
USA Today has ESL ranked #4 in the Midwest, the only other school ranked in the top ten is LWE at #7. I don’t think anyone would have a problem if ESL was ranked #1 in the Chicago land area. Obviously, there’s more football to be played, but if they win the Championship I’m not sure if there’s much argument there.

My fantasy would be the top four class champions play for the undisputed title. 7A vs 5A... 8A vs 6A, winners play for it all! that is a match up most would love to see...

USA Today has ESL ranked #4 in the Midwest, the only other school ranked in the top ten is LWE at #7. I don’t think anyone would have a problem if ESL was ranked #1 in the Chicago land area. Obviously, there’s more football to be played, but if they win the Championship I’m not sure if there’s much argument there.

My fantasy would be the top four class champions play for the undisputed title. 7A vs 5A... 8A vs 6A, winners play for it all! that is a match up most would love to see...

If we had a dome anywhere in the state to hold such an event, that would be great. IMO, without a dome, weather would be too much of a factor anytime after the regular scheduled finals weekend.

Nice discussion here, but just think if ESL had ended up in 5A. They would run more than the table, and you'd need a more descriptive word than blowout!!!

Nice discussion here, but just think if ESL had ended up in 5A. They would run more than the table, and you'd need a more descriptive word than blowout!!!
in 2021 esl will be playing all 5a opponents in the regular season. should be very uninteresting

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT