ADVERTISEMENT

Death of football...

I think they (Illinois Legislature) should be more concerned with keeping businesses and people in the state before they stick their nose where it doesn't belong.

Oh wait - they always stick their nose where it doesn't belong.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chic...ban-proposal-illinois-20180124-story,amp.html

Proposed ban on tackle football for kids 12 and under, this will be a major blow to a sport that has already seen a big decline.

WE have a state that is billions of dollars in debt, is as corrupt as the day is long and THIS is what our congressmen and women are spending their time on?

I agree something needs to ultimately be done but I have a hard time with Ms. Sente spending time on this.

The Dave Duerson Act? Somehow I don’t think he would have wanted his name attached to that.

Reactions: newcom
I would also change this Thread title from "death of football...." to "Evolution of football....."
It's a nice notion that we think we're going to save brains by raising the age limit, but it's really just going to delay the inevitable.

It's a nice notion that we think we're going to save brains by raising the age limit, but it's really just going to delay the inevitable.
Are you referring to the inevitable being CTE? So everyone that plays contact football will inevitably get CTE?

Are you referring to the inevitable being CTE? So everyone that plays contact football will inevitably get CTE?
It seems to me that CTE is really more prevalent with guys that play college and pro where the game is downright violent. How many kids under the age of 12 actually make through the high school level? Let's focus on fixing the real problems in this state.

A bunch of garbage. Concerned for our kids safety? Where is the outcry of banning hockey, lacrosse or soccer (yes soccer, I read the other day over 250 former players that are having cognitive issues due to soccer, of course we do not publicize this) all these sports are known to have brain injury risks. Why is the line drawn at just football not and not beyond?
"Lock your kids and do not let them outside Act" makes more sense to me. ridiculous

Was it the Illinois lawmakers or grammar school football that made this state uninhabitable?
Should've voted Sugrue, a St Laurence Viking, when you had the chance.

It seems to me that CTE is really more prevalent with guys that play college and pro where the game is downright violent. How many kids under the age of 12 actually make through the high school level? Let's focus on fixing the real problems in this state.
Agree with you on fixing the real problems in this state. Everyone does. However, disagree completely about your college/pro statement. Know many college and some pro....sharp as a tack. Millions have played the game at the high school, college and pro level. The percentage that have CTE.....will/is still incredibly low. Some of these older guys with cognitive issues were playing on astro turf, poor safety rules, poor equipment, poor practice habits and doing a lot of drugs. A LOT of drugs. Sample tests from generations of athletes from all sports will give us a better understanding, but that won't come for a long time. Any neurologist, former player...would tell you the same. There is still a lot of work to be done. There are people that have CTE and cognitive brain issues that never played a contact sport or worked in an environment that would cause head trauma. There's former pro football players, hockey players....etc. that played pro for over a decade and have no cognitive issues. Yellow journalism doesn't help and fogs the real science and data. There are many people doing good work everyday on this. Football, hockey, MMA, boxing....are not going away or going to die.......but they will evolve as we learn more.

Reactions: mmca
We need all of those little football players with Vince McMahon’s new football league. Somebody has to be the new He Hate Me.

Reactions: UlbKA91
Football kills how many kids a year??? 0

Guns kill how many kids a year? 500?

State is how many billions in the red???

Yeah, lets worry about football

It is my understanding that more youth players are injured playing soccer than tackle football.

Could that be because there are roughly three times as many youths playing organized soccer than are playing organized football?

Among athletes ages 5 to 14, 28 percent of percent of football players, 25 percent of baseball players, 22 percent of soccer players, 15 percent of basketball players, and 12 percent of softball players were injured while playing their respective sports

Could that be because there are roughly three times as many youths playing organized soccer than are playing organized football?
National youth in Tackle football- 3.3% (has declined, but holding at that rate the last few years)
National youth in Flag football- 2.6% (rising every year)
National youth in soccer- 8.9% (declining every year since 2008)

Safe to assume youth football (tackle and flag) is majority boys- 5.9% and youth soccer is 50/50 or even slanted towards girls.

So no. More boys in some form of football at the youth level (6-12 years old) than participating in soccer.

National youth in Tackle football- 3.3% (has declined, but holding at that rate the last few years)
National youth in Flag football- 2.6% (rising every year)
National youth in soccer- 8.9% (declining every year since 2008)

Safe to assume youth football (tackle and flag) is majority boys- 5.9% and youth soccer is 50/50 or even slanted towards girls.

So no. More boys in some form of football at the youth level (6-12 years old) than participating in soccer.

Citation please?

I would also change this Thread title from "death of football...." to "Evolution of football....."
The Thread Title is perfect for this article because that’s exactly what these politicians are trying to do is kill this amazing sport

Citation please?

Washington Post. There's several sources to get that info. All of the numbers are about the same. All show a decline in youth participation in all sports. All sight multiple reasons for the youth decline. (specialization, time, video games, cost.....etc.)

Life, Liberty, Pursuit of Happiness. Still think the government has the right to interfere with the decision to play football or not?

Washington Post. There's several sources to get that info. All of the numbers are about the same. All show a decline in youth participation in all sports. All sight multiple reasons for the youth decline. (specialization, time, video games, cost.....etc.)
I think alot of the youth nowadays just hate contact in general...

America has witnessed a war on masculinity over the past three decades perpetrated by well-intentioned over-parenting, the agenda-driven entertainment industry, dangerous political correctness, and deliberate political strategy. This is the opening paragraph from a Washington Times article by Christian Kachel.

I believe this Dave Duereson law would fall well within the subject of this authors article. I find it hard to disagree with what the author is talking about. This law also causes me pause with the continued invasion into people’s lives by the government.

http://amp.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/nov/12/kachel-america-emasculated-war-manhood/

Football will go the way of boxing eventually IMO. State (especially IL) need not get involved.

Let's hope this isn't the beginning of the end for high school football. It's the only sport left, with maybe the exception of track, that gives kids from all walks an opportunity to make the team and show their talent. You look at a sport like baseball where parents invest thousands of dollars in these travel teams preparing kids for high level competition and coaches have their own rules about who does or doesn't make the cut mainly based on favoritism.

Let's hope this isn't the beginning of the end for high school football. It's the only sport left, with maybe the exception of track, that gives kids from all walks an opportunity to make the team and show their talent. You look at a sport like baseball where parents invest thousands of dollars in these travel teams preparing kids for high level competition and coaches have their own rules about who does or doesn't make the cut mainly based on favoritism.
That's what is great about wrestling as well. If you beat everybody at your weight class, you wrestle, plain and simple.

“No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session.”

Gideon J. Tucker

Reactions: eireog
Football kills how many kids a year??? 0

Guns kill how many kids a year? 500?

State is how many billions in the red???

Yeah, lets worry about football
Guns don't kill...people do. I have never seen or heard of a gun firing itself. Besides, opioids are a far worse problem than guns in Illinois and nationally and kill more people than guns and car crashes combined. Where have you been?

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/3/23/14987892/opioid-heroin-epidemic-charts

Reactions: mylittlearcher
Sente is completely out of touch with the emerging zeitgeist.
Make no mistake: It's a war on masculinity.

I have not yet been able to read the actual proposed legislation. However, a couple of questions pop quickly to mind:

Apparently someone has been watching youngsters who hit like college players....would someone please send a Lovie recruiter to watch those practices, cause if 5 year olds are currently hitting like college kids in Illinois the Illini need to start recruiting them...

Are the cops going to start driving around arresting kids playing pick-up tackle football?

Did you ever get to play flag football in p.e. class? I probably saw more cheap head shots in p.e. flag football daily than a team could have in tackle all season- at least the kid wacking the other in the head has to hit him in the helmet rather than directly on the skull...and I went to a school that did not play football...

Are unorganized games which also involve great physical contact banned ... the game which initially comes to mind was called smear the @#$%& (guy with the ball)...

Is rugby banned below 12 as well?

I set up the youth league in my hometown, and watched play at all levels. 5 year olds can barely stand up in pads & helmets at the beginning of the season. For little kids, flag football might as well be 7on7, since linemen don't have a lot to do with flag. Now the slower, bigger kids won't play because they can't do as much and will just increase the obesity statistics...

CTE is a relatively new concern, and until someone does a study that finds football is more dangerous than rugby, hockey, and wrestling for such long term injury will I take such concerns seriously.

Now, if this law morphs into forcing everyone to buy new Riddell helmets, boosting the economy, maybe its a good thing for the economy...but really a bad way to do it...

This was our PR release to our youth tackle football league

XXXXX acknowledges the current Dave Duerson Act that is being presented before Illinois Lawmakers to prevent children under 12 years of age from playing tackle football. We as a board directly oppose this measure on many levels both politically and fundamentally in regards to the sport. Tragically, Dave Duerson took his own life in 2011. After his death it was determined that he suffered from CTE(Chronic Traumatic Encephalopothy) which several studies have shown is linked to or can be caused by repeated head contact. Dave Duerson played football for 20 years at a very high level at a time with far inferior helmets and no restrictions on time allowed per week of actual live hitting. The overwhelming majority children that start playing football prior to age 12 will play for only 8 to 9 years of their lives. Only roughly 6% of high school football players move on to play at the collegiate level.

This legislation is very well meaning and protecting our children is every parents first priority, as well as XXXX's priority within the game. This legislation however is based on unfortunate demise of several high profile professional football players with more than 20 years in the game at a time when the game was itself more violent, and in combination less sophisticated equipment. We feel the benefits that playing football teaches our children far outweigh the risks involved with this or any other sport where an injury can occur. XXXX will have an action plan ready to go if there are any significant changes in laws concerning contact sports.

Reactions: Bowie50 and Quags57
Among athletes ages 5 to 14, 28 percent of percent of football players, 25 percent of baseball players, 22 percent of soccer players, 15 percent of basketball players, and 12 percent of softball players were injured while playing their respective sports
How is an injury defined in the study you reference? Please send a link the study.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT