ADVERTISEMENT

Death of football...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chic...ban-proposal-illinois-20180124-story,amp.html

Proposed ban on tackle football for kids 12 and under, this will be a major blow to a sport that has already seen a big decline.

personally, i think you stop it after the age of 16 and you will not have a problem. no more college football and definitely no more professional football.
this way these kids heads will recover.
this quote absolutely killed me.
“As the science and the data move forward and progress, so must we, and we now turn our attention to CTE,” Sente said. “Children as young as 5 are playing tackle football. … They are taking hits in practice and at games, with forces that are similar to what college players are taking.”
bhwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha what load of crap. i am telling these libbies have lost all touch with reality.

“No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session.”

Gideon J. Tucker
“There is no law against bad laws,” said of of my favorite people and recently retired lobbyist, Dick Lockhart, aged 92. Dick always introduced himself as Illinois’ oldest unindicted lobbyist. He was also a German POW, captured during the Battle of the Bulge.

(Any history teachers in the Chicagoland area who would like him to speak at your school, contact me. Dude is very sharp and was in Springfield daily until the end of the Fall session.)

Reactions: USD24
And the number one high school sport the totaled the most concussions was....

GIRLS SOCCER

https://science.howstuffworks.com/l...rain/girls-high-school-soccer-concussions.htm

Where is the public outcry? When will parents stop putting their children in danger?

I better see our diligent and concerned politicians all over this, as I will be expecting legislation to 'ban' the high risk exposures of the menacing sport known as 'soccer'.
Thank God for our good intentioned and fast acting members of Illinois congress, who have taken time out of their busy schedule to 'tackle' this issue. As they will now no longer allow parents to put our youths at risk. Thank You!

Reactions: Brad0710
Guns don't kill...people do. I have never seen or heard of a gun firing itself. Besides, opioids are a far worse problem than guns in Illinois and nationally and kill more people than guns and car crashes combined. Where have you been?

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/3/23/14987892/opioid-heroin-epidemic-charts

People use guns to kill people. If that kid in Florida didn't have such a weapon, he couldn't have killed so many people. Don't give me that business about cars and baseball bats being used to kill -- all baloney.

People use guns to kill people. If that kid in Florida didn't have such a weapon, he couldn't have killed so many people. Don't give me that business about cars and baseball bats being used to kill -- all baloney.
Whoa, where did this come from? I was comparing the amount of deaths from means other than guns. Those people from opioids and auto accidents are just as dead. If you want to look at numbers and if numbers are important to you, more people do die from opioids than from guns and auto accidents combined. if numbers are important, then opioids is a larger problem. That is my ultimate point.

We'll never know how many people would have been killed down there in Florida if there had been another weapon chosen. In my mind, one death is too many. How many calls did the Sheriff's Department and other departments need before they decided this kid was a danger? How many warning signs were missed?

I must remind you, the deadliest school shooting in US history occurred at Virginia Tech on April 16th, 2007 in which 33 people were killed. Hand guns were used in that assault. Those people from Virginia Tech are just as dead.

I don't want to start a gun/anti-gun argument. Sooner or later someone will bring politics into it and there goes the thread. But you are right. People use guns to kill people. The guns themselves don't do the work.

Personally I have no use for an AR-15 or any other semi-automatic weapon. This isn't a problem that is easily solved or one that has one solution. To me there are several causes as to why our society is here. But, I am not going to get into that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Relist8

Timothy McVeigh says hello

Guns don't kill...people do. I have never seen or heard of a gun firing itself. Besides, opioids are a far worse problem than guns in Illinois and nationally and kill more people than guns and car crashes combined. Where have you been?

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/3/23/14987892/opioid-heroin-epidemic-charts

People use guns to efficiently kill other people. Without gun s, there' be far fewer murders. Why are we the only developed nation with so many murders? It's the guns, buddy. People take opiods themselves ... they shoot bullets at other people. Why does anyone need an assault weapon, anyway? There is no good reason. BTW, the NRA doesn't represent dupes like you, they represent gun and ammunition manufacturers. They scare the overly gullible into buying more and more guns.

People use guns to efficiently kill other people. Without gun s, there' be far fewer murders. Why are we the only developed nation with so many murders? It's the guns, buddy. People take opiods themselves ... they shoot bullets at other people. Why does anyone need an assault weapon, anyway? There is no good reason. BTW, the NRA doesn't represent dupes like you, they represent gun and ammunition manufacturers. They scare the overly gullible into buying more and more guns.
So, now I am a dupe? Why the name calling? Why are you so angry at me? I don't agree with you and that makes me a dupe? Come on man.

You need to look at the big picture and let go of the tunnel vision. People who abuse opioids affect everyone around them. How many people, do you think, are shot by others who are either using alcohol or drugs? I don't know what the stat is, but I would guess it is the majority. Thirty-three thousand people were killed by guns in the US in 2016 and two thirds of those were suicide. So, 22,000 people used those guns on themselves, not anyone else. Those are the facts. During the same time period 60,000+ people in the US perished from the misuse of opioids. Those are the facts. You can have your beliefs, but you can't have your own set of facts. Opioids are a much larger problem, period.

Roughly 11,000 people in the US are killed in DUI accidents. That isn't just alcohol. It's driving while under the influence. How many of those people who were drinking were also using opioids? I'll bet there is a generous percentage. And you are really going to sit there and say people who misuse opioids only harm themselves? You are not even making a rational argument. They are a danger to everyone.

I am not an NRA member. I don't feel a need. But the people doing these school shootings aren't NRA members either. Just a point. And I am hearing the membership in the NRA is going to grow. Just saying.

Please stop with the "if we didn't have guns" argument. That isn't a rational argument either. There is no way in God's earth we are getting rid of them and it isn't even realistic to think that way. Maybe we should look for unicorns while we are at it. So, you might say outlaw guns. Ok fine, then what? Do you really believe that will get them off the streets? Most of the law-abiding citizens will turn them in. But some people, who were otherwise law-abiding won't. Then you will be creating an entirely new class of felons. Of course the criminals won't. That is why they are criminals, boys and girls.

We tried something similar to that 100 years ago. It was a little bill called the Volstead Act which led to prohibition. How did that work out? Did you know alcohol sales and consumption actually increased in the 1920s when that law went into effect? The scary thing is that people back then actually believed that if you make alcohol illegal people would stop drinking, That kind of thinking is dangerously naive. Oh, by the way crime increased exponentially in the 1920s as well. Also, people who were not otherwise criminals, drank too. So, a new class of law breakers was created.

That same thing will happen if ever the time came for us to outlaw guns. Outlawing guns is never going to happen here. But even if it did how would you get them all off the streets? What would your plan be? I am very interested to hear your thoughts on that. People want the guns gone but they have no idea how to do it because it can't be done. You aren't naive to believe if you just outlaw the guns everyone is just gonna come rushing forward to turn them all in and we will all have a Kumbaya moment? That kind of thinking is dangerous.

About the only way you could do it would be to have law enforcement and the military go house to house knocking on doors to confiscate the guns. Wow, what an idea. Just like the Gestapo and the Nazis did when they were looking for weapons and Jews. Yeah, that's gonna work.

Murder in this country is a societal problem. You can blame the guns all you want. I choose to blame the people who misuse those guns.

So, now I am a dupe? Why the name calling? Why are you so angry at me? I don't agree with you and that makes me a dupe? Come on man.

You need to look at the big picture and let go of the tunnel vision. People who abuse opioids affect everyone around them. How many people, do you think, are shot by others who are either using alcohol or drugs? I don't know what the stat is, but I would guess it is the majority. Thirty-three thousand people were killed by guns in the US in 2016 and two thirds of those were suicide. So, 22,000 people used those guns on themselves, not anyone else. Those are the facts. During the same time period 60,000+ people in the US perished from the misuse of opioids. Those are the facts. You can have your beliefs, but you can't have your own set of facts. Opioids are a much larger problem, period.

Roughly 11,000 people in the US are killed in DUI accidents. That isn't just alcohol. It's driving while under the influence. How many of those people who were drinking were also using opioids? I'll bet there is a generous percentage. And you are really going to sit there and say people who misuse opioids only harm themselves? You are not even making a rational argument. They are a danger to everyone.

I am not an NRA member. I don't feel a need. But the people doing these school shootings aren't NRA members either. Just a point. And I am hearing the membership in the NRA is going to grow. Just saying.

Please stop with the "if we didn't have guns" argument. That isn't a rational argument either. There is no way in God's earth we are getting rid of them and it isn't even realistic to think that way. Maybe we should look for unicorns while we are at it. So, you might say outlaw guns. Ok fine, then what? Do you really believe that will get them off the streets? Most of the law-abiding citizens will turn them in. But some people, who were otherwise law-abiding won't. Then you will be creating an entirely new class of felons. Of course the criminals won't. That is why they are criminals, boys and girls.

We tried something similar to that 100 years ago. It was a little bill called the Volstead Act which led to prohibition. How did that work out? Did you know alcohol sales and consumption actually increased in the 1920s when that law went into effect? The scary thing is that people back then actually believed that if you make alcohol illegal people would stop drinking, That kind of thinking is dangerously naive. Oh, by the way crime increased exponentially in the 1920s as well. Also, people who were not otherwise criminals, drank too. So, a new class of law breakers was created.

That same thing will happen if ever the time came for us to outlaw guns. Outlawing guns is never going to happen here. But even if it did how would you get them all off the streets? What would your plan be? I am very interested to hear your thoughts on that. People want the guns gone but they have no idea how to do it because it can't be done. You aren't naive to believe if you just outlaw the guns everyone is just gonna come rushing forward to turn them all in and we will all have a Kumbaya moment? That kind of thinking is dangerous.

About the only way you could do it would be to have law enforcement and the military go house to house knocking on doors to confiscate the guns. Wow, what an idea. Just like the Gestapo and the Nazis did when they were looking for weapons and Jews. Yeah, that's gonna work.

Murder in this country is a societal problem. You can blame the guns all you want. I choose to blame the people who misuse those guns.

I admit that getting rid of assault weapons wouldn't be easy -- it could take 30 years. But, then, in 30 years our society would be a whole lot safer than if we did nothing.

You don;t have a legitimate need for an assault weapon. Period.

Your arguments about opiods are legitimate, but guns and drugs are not an "either/or" situation. Attack both problems.

I admit that getting rid of assault weapons wouldn't be easy -- it could take 30 years. But, then, in 30 years our society would be a whole lot safer than if we did nothing.

You don;t have a legitimate need for an assault weapon. Period.

Your arguments about opiods are legitimate, but guns and drugs are not an "either/or" situation. Attack both problems.
Yes, I'll go along with that. We can do more than one thing. I am not happy with what's going on. But I don't think government and outlawing guns is the only answer. My main point to the original poster was, I believe opioids are a problem that's worse based on the number of deaths. I never said we don't have a problem with irresponsible gun owners. we do.

The one thing we have to remember is that outlawing semi-automatic weapons isn't necessarily going to get them off the streets. We will have them still.

In the end, we need to have an adult, responsible, logical discussion about this and leave emotions at the door. People need to calm down, think clearly and come up with logical workable solutions.

I also believe we need to harden targets these cowards prey on. I have never seen one of these nuts go into a police station or somewhere else that is secure and attempt to shoot the place up.

I am not for arming all teachers either. Maybe and I say maybe some with law enforcement or military experience. Pretty much anyone can learn to shoot a weapon. It takes time and practice. But, how are you going to train and give them tactical experience? That is the real problem. But those with experience, yeah maybe. Pay them $10,000 more a year or $1,000 additional dollars to do so. I'd pay for that with my taxes. What is the price for keeping teachers and kids safe? But for me, the jury is still out on that thought.

Reactions: Gene K.
No one is trying to take all your guns. If you want a gun to defend your home and/or a gun for hunting -- fine. No one can take them.

It's the mass murder weapons that alarm us.

Yes, as I said, it could take decades to get rid of most of them ... but then, your grandchildren will be much safer down the road.

That's it.

If they can get the budget balanced and the pension mess fixed, as well as taxes lowered.... then go ahead, start messing with youth football..

No one is trying to take all your guns. If you want a gun to defend your home and/or a gun for hunting -- fine. No one can take them.

It's the mass murder weapons that alarm us.

Yes, as I said, it could take decades to get rid of most of them ... but then, your grandchildren will be much safer down the road.

That's it.
What exactly is a "mass murder weapon"??
Anything used to kill more than a few people at once could be a "mass murder weapon". A semi auto pistol, a shotgun, a truck, a bomb, a knife, a hammer,
"Mass murder weapon" is the latest term leftists use to scare people so they can enact more useless laws that only punish lawful people.

Reactions: mmca
Anything used to kill more than a few people at once could be a "mass murder weapon". A semi auto pistol, a shotgun, a truck, a bomb, a knife, a hammer,
"Mass murder weapon" is the latest term leftists use to scare people so they can enact more useless laws that only punish lawful people.
Be careful with the political aspect of this. When politics come in on this board, the life of a thread is less than that of a housefly. I want this thread to stay here. But I do agree with your assessment on catch phrases and words.

I calmly made my case by simply using facts. Facts can't be refuted. There are far too many people making this an emotional argument. That doesn't work for me. Either we are going to be adults, or we're not. We're going to come up with a workable solution, or we're not and nothing will be done, as usual.

With that said, I don't believe for a minute some of the people out there don't want to take all guns away from people. I don't believe it because those people can't be trusted. The reason some people are saying "we don't want to take all guns away," is because that immediate goal would be nixed right away. So, they will do it in increments. They are not stupid.

The thing that aggravates me is how uninformed some people are when it comes to this. If you are a person seeking information about guns, healthcare, etc. the worst place to start is news channels and the newspapers. No one reports news or information without an opinion. And they all get their facts wrong. Their goal is to push their political agenda and disseminate as many so-called facts and information picked by them so as to push that agenda. Trusting these people is naive and dangerous.

Something else people don't realize. Politicians from both parties own guns. It isn't exclusive to one party. In the last 10 years both parties have had complete control and nothing has been done about guns. So if you want to blame politicians, blame all of them.

That is as close as I am getting to politics. But if anyone thinks outlawing any gun will make us all safer they are dreaming.

Last edited:
In my opinion I sincerely doubt this is the end of football. I think the legislation in and of itself will have little impact on the popularity of football. Instead, I think the real threat comes from the options of other relatively new sports, namely lacrosse and even rugby (Nequa Valley practices at least every Monday at Just For Kicks in Plainfield).

I'm not sure it's a big loss in terms of development to not let kids play tackle football until age 12. I happen to have had the opportunity to be acquaintances with Sean Drendel, head coach of Naperville North, and he's said that there's really no need for kids to be playing tackle football before then anyway. Absolutely just an off the cuff remark he made. He'd rather kids play all sports and develop their athleticism and then he'll take it from there once they get to high school. This is not verbatim and I don't want to paint him into a corner - he may not feel that way anymore and certainly, his opinion could have changed. I know at one time his fifth-grade son was not playing tackle football.

I wonder, though, if what I suppose is actually true. I tend to think the biggest threat to football is new sports like lacrosse and increased participation in hockey gaining popularity. What I don't know is if that is something unique to the western suburbs or not.

Wheaton South, which from 1994 to 2014 went to, on average, the championship game every two years (winning seven and losing three), is suffering from much lower numbers these days than during that 20 year period.

Like a lot of people, I don't particularly like the government telling us what we can and can't do but in the end analysis, I don't think it'll wind up being much to overcome.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bowie50
If you are a person seeking information about guns, healthcare, etc. the worst place to start is news channels and the newspapers.

Not so fast. The news and editorial sections of your very own Chicago Tribune run frequent articles and thought pieces in support of the gun industry. In addition, they choose at least two pro-gun letters-to-the-editor for every one supporting sanity.

Don't forget Fox News.

Again, the old trick where a gun whacko equates an everyday item with a mass murder weapon (for you information - a gun that fires large amounts of bullets quickly). Trucks are for transportation -- hammers for construction. Guns for killing. Yes, you can use all sorts of things to kill, but not many can kill large amounts of people quickly. Try attacking a crowd with a hammer or knife. You won't get too far. Try a drive-by killing with a hammer. You'd probably fall out of the car. In your case, it might be worth it.

MC:

With all due respect, I must disagree.

In 2016, the U.S. witnessed 38,000 gun deaths. When I engage in conversation with anti-gun alarmists, I typically cite statistics from sources of which my Left-wing acquaintances place enormous faith. According to the New York Times and Time, of the 38,000 persons killed by a firearm in 2016, an astounding 2/3 (slightly over 24,000 by my math) took their own life. Arithmetic is not my province, but I found it interesting both publications cited a real number, 38,000, when broadcasting the gun-related deaths, but chose to use a fraction to describe the number of individuals who took their lives by a firearm.

I won't spend too much time elaborating on precisely why both publications used a fraction to detail the number of suicides, I could spawn a small library in this undertaking, but it is obvious: It would betray the hypocrisy in both publications' political positions. A rare admission for both publications, both the Times and Time chose to obscure the dramatically higher number of people taking their own life to bolster their anti-gun stance.

What I find so disturbing about gun control advocates is the tendency to suggest gun-control laws will only lower fatalities. In your post, you infer a restriction or ban on automatic weapons (assault weapons) would have prevented only some deaths Parkland, Florida.

If that kid in Florida didn't have such a weapon, he couldn't have killed so many people.

Am I to assume you are suggesting some of the fatalities caused by Cruz's actions while armed with an automatic weapon are acceptable, but some are not? Are you implying if Cruz had been armed with a revolver and killed fewer it is acceptable?

My point here is many continue to blame firearms and laws ostensibly enacted to prevent such macabre crimes are signed into law with the knowledge they will have minuscule effect at best. They type of weapon and the capacity of the cartridge are completely irrelevant. Since the 1960, this country has seen over 22,000 gun-control measures signed into law and violent crime has continued to rise.

Dare I ask: With over 22,000 gun-control laws on the books, shouldn't at least one worked by now?

If our "holier-than-thou" lawmakers were serious about combating crime, I'd like to see them use firearms in legislation responsibly. If our elected officials were as conscientious as they would have us believe, perhaps they could take a cue from state lawmakers in Texas or Florida and enact laws which penalize offenders for a minimum of 20 years behind bars for committing a crime with a firearm. The much-maligned NRA has never opposed such laws; in fact, they support both states' actions.

Criminals can read and they do acquaint themselves with established civil and criminal law.

Last edited:
Not so fast. The news and editorial sections of your very own Chicago Tribune run frequent articles and thought pieces in support of the gun industry. In addition, they choose at least two pro-gun letters-to-the-editor for every one supporting sanity.

Don't forget Fox News.
Please re-read my post. I was including all of the media, not a select few as you have. They all have their spin. Opinions are like a-holes...everyone has one and they all stink.

Reactions: Gene K.
MC:

In 2016, the U.S. witnessed 38,000 gun deaths. When I engage in conversation with anti-gun alarmists, I typically cite statistics from sources of which my Left-wing acquaintances place enormous faith. According to the New York Times and Time, of the 38,000 persons killed by a firearm in 2016, an astounding 2/3 (slightly over 24,000 by my math) took their own life. Arithmetic is not my province, but I found it interesting both publications cited a real number, 38,000, when broadcasting the gun-related deaths, but chose to use a fraction to describe the number of individuals who took their lives by a firearm.

I won't spend too much time elaborating on precisely why both publications used a fraction to detail the number of suicides, I could spawn a small library in this undertaking, but it is obvious: It would betray the hypocrisy in both publications' political positions. A rare admission for both publications, both the Times and Time chose to obscure the dramatically higher number of people taking their own life to bolster their anti-gun stance.

What I find so disturbing about gun control advocates is the tendency to suggest gun-control laws will only lower fatalities. In your post, you infer a restriction or ban on automatic weapons (assault weapons) would have prevented only some deaths Parkland, Florida.

Am I to assume you are suggesting some of the fatalities caused by Cruz's actions while armed with an automatic weapon are acceptable, but some are not? Are you implying if Cruz had been armed with a revolver and killed fewer it is acceptable?

My point here is many continue to blame firearms and laws ostensibly enacted to prevent such macabre crimes are signed into law with the knowledge they will have minuscule effect at best. They type of weapon and the capacity of the cartridge are completely irrelevant. Since the 1960, this country has seen over 22,000 gun-control measures signed into law and violent crime has continued to rise.

Dare I ask: With over 22,000 gun-control laws on the books, shouldn't at least one worked by now?

If our "holier-than-thou" lawmakers were serious about combating crime, I'd like to see them use firearms in legislation responsibly. If our elected officials were as conscientious as they would have us believe, perhaps they could take a cue from state lawmakers in Texas or Florida and enact laws which penalize offenders for a minimum of 20 years behind bars for committing a crime with a firearm. The much-maligned NRA has never opposed such laws; in fact, they support both states' actions.

Criminals can read and they do acquaint themselves with established civil and criminal law.
Who is this guy? I wish you had posted all of this at the beginning. We could have saved me and us a lot of time. I happen to agree with you. But I never looked deep enough in the articles you sited. It never occurred to me that these publications were using real numbers to fit their narrative but fractions when it didn't. This is excellent work. I seriously doubt you will get much push back on this post. Very well said.

Reactions: MWittman
MC:

With corresponding all due respect, how can anyone not be an anti-gun alarmist when you cite 38,000 gun deaths in 2016? No other developed country has even a slight fraction of that amount.

The number of suicides is irrelevant to your argument. Without a gun, the victim would have more time to reconsider their impending action, and many, I'm sure, would.

This stuff about the New York Times and Time is irrelevant, as well. What about the Wall Street Journal, Fox News and the darling of the gun crowd, yes, your own Chicago Tribune. Let's not forget Chuck Todd of Meet the Press who tosses softballs to gun supporters.

Many of those 22,000 gun laws are weak, redundant, or unworkable. Despite what many believe, gun laws in Illinois are very lax thanks in part, to the black caucus in Springfield.

The much maligned NRA? Wow. They fight to let mentally handicapped people purchase guns. They fight to keep gun ownership information private. They sit idly by while Alex Jones denies that Sandy Hook ever happened or that Lakeland kids made up some of the horror they witnessed? Maligned? C'mon on. They employ Dana Loesch to spread nasty nonsense.

Most "lefties" have no problem with yo9ur owning a gun for hunting and/or protection. To claim that we want to take all guns is crazy. We could argue that assault weapons are a gateway to flame throwers or cannons. What about a billionaire who wouldn't mind owning a fighter jet. Sounds crazy? Check with your people first for craziness.

The law we would like to see would forbid the manufacture, sale or possession of any multi-firing weapons. Any gun, regardless of nomenclature, that fires ammunition rapidly.

I can hear it now. "That won't work!" Sure, not in the near future. But in 20 years, though, American society could be rid of these terror weapons. But so what if it takes multiple decades? At least, by 2040 or so, the mess would be cleared up and your grandchildren won't have to duck in class.

Finally, you actually wrote, Am I to assume you are suggesting some of the fatalities caused by Cruz's actions while armed with an automatic weapon are acceptable, but some are not?

That statement was beneath you.

[QUOTE="LTHSALUM76, post: 156061, member: 1798" Opinions are like a-holes...everyone has one and they all stink.[/QUOTE]

How old are you?

15?

[QUOTE="LTHSALUM76, post: 156061, member: 1798" Opinions are like a-holes...everyone has one and they all stink.

How old are you?

15?[/QUOTE]
What is wrong with you? Why are you getting personal and coming down on me? All I am doing is disagreeing with you and providing facts. You are pushing your political and personal agenda.

As for my quote...the first time I heard it said that way was from Howie Long. He was a grown man at the time and so was I.

Why all the anger directed at me?

anyway, Carol Sente has withdrawn her push to ban tackle below age 12 for the time being... I am not sure if guns were involved :)

With corresponding all due respect, how can anyone not be an anti-gun alarmist when you cite 38,000 gun deaths in 2016? No other developed country has even a slight fraction of that amount.

The number of suicides is irrelevant to your argument. Without a gun, the victim would have more time to reconsider their impending action, and many, I'm sure, would.

This stuff about the New York Times and Time is irrelevant, as well. What about the Wall Street Journal, Fox News and the darling of the gun crowd, yes, your own Chicago Tribune. Let's not forget Chuck Todd of Meet the Press who tosses softballs to gun supporters.

Many of those 22,000 gun laws are weak, redundant, or unworkable. Despite what many believe, gun laws in Illinois are very lax thanks in part, to the black caucus in Springfield.

The much maligned NRA? Wow. They fight to let mentally handicapped people purchase guns. They fight to keep gun ownership information private. They sit idly by while Alex Jones denies that Sandy Hook ever happened or that Lakeland kids made up some of the horror they witnessed? Maligned? C'mon on. They employ Dana Loesch to spread nasty nonsense.

Most "lefties" have no problem with yo9ur owning a gun for hunting and/or protection. To claim that we want to take all guns is crazy. We could argue that assault weapons are a gateway to flame throwers or cannons. What about a billionaire who wouldn't mind owning a fighter jet. Sounds crazy? Check with your people first for craziness.

The law we would like to see would forbid the manufacture, sale or possession of any multi-firing weapons. Any gun, regardless of nomenclature, that fires ammunition rapidly.

I can hear it now. "That won't work!" Sure, not in the near future. But in 20 years, though, American society could be rid of these terror weapons. But so what if it takes multiple decades? At least, by 2040 or so, the mess would be cleared up and your grandchildren won't have to duck in class.

Finally, you actually wrote, Am I to assume you are suggesting some of the fatalities caused by Cruz's actions while armed with an automatic weapon are acceptable, but some are not?

What is with this "your Chicago Tribune" stuff? What does that even mean? Speaking of the Tribune, did you happen to see the recent article about how other countries keep their schools safe. There was a generous percentage that had guards...armed.

I guess I have to remind you again since you never responded to my initial post citing this fact. The deadliest school shooting in the United States. took place at Virginia Tech in which 33 people were killed. That was done with hand guns. What is your answer to that? Also, you have never mentioned a word on the complete failure by authorities. You would rather just blame the NRA, which is easier and takes less thought. All you are doing there is pushing your narrative. How many of these shooters are NRA members? You failed to address that before too.

You are naive to think banning a certain kind of weapon is going to completely take it off the streets. That is pie-in-the-sky stuff. My opinion is, the number of semi-automatic weapons would actually increase because the number on the black market would grow. The real danger is that when these guns are sold on the black market, there is no way to track them. As I said before, the only people who would turn their weapons are in are the law abiding citizens. I am not sure why that doesn't get through to you. The idea of banning a certain weapon won't work now or in the future. But, whatever.

You want to ban "multi-firing weapons?" Fully automatic weapons are already banned. A fully automatic weapon is one that fires several rounds by simply holding the trigger down. All other weapons fire only one round with each pull of the trigger. All weapons are multi-firing if you pull the trigger each time and there is ammo in the magazine, unless you are still using a musket. Just so you know, an AR-15 requires a pull of the trigger for each round fired.

I have said this many times. Well over 90% of the people on this dusty procession of determination of banning weapons have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to firearms, don't own any and are simply using "catch-phrases" in describing weapons. The idea of an AR-15 being called an assault weapon is also incorrect depending on who you ask. I prefer to call it what it actually is...a semi-automatic weapon.

It isn't up to you or me to determine what anyone "needs." We are not a country of "needs."

Do yourself a favor and look a little harder at this again. His writing has a question mark after it. Therefore, it is not a statement but a question. He wasn't "stating" anything. If you don't know the difference between a question and a statement, I can't help you. You need to take your time when responding to someone who disagrees with you instead of flying off the handle and making an emotional response.

MC:

I have to break this down, and, although it is not necessary because I do find we have a cordial relationship, you know this is delivered with due courtesy.

how can anyone not be an anti-gun alarmist when you cite 38,000 gun deaths in 2016? No other developed country has even a slight fraction of that amount.

Well, of the 38,000, approximately 24,000 are suicides and, regrettably, very few of those deeply, emotionally injured people can be salvaged. What the Left does is to casually toss out the "38,000" number, irresponsibly attach the vague description the death was the result of a firearm to lead their gullible followers into believing guns are a plague and a threat to decent society. If it is not a firearm, it could be pills, drink, a rope, gas, opening the veins, or jumping in front of a bus. Tragic, yes, but one of the many dangers in society we can not prevent. Moreover, the Left may talk about mental illness, a conversation we need, but they never talk about stripping kitchens of knives or outlawing the sale of rope.

It is relevant; it is actually very relevant. Do we not break down the cause of auto accidents, train wrecks, or aircraft disasters separately? Each incident has a cause, some different than others. Incidents in which innocents die in autos are caused by faulty fuel lines; and others are caused by drivers operating a vehicle while under the influence. Some aircraft crash because of pilot error, bad weather, or hijacking. Some trains slip off the rails. They must be treated differently. While I'm on the subject, I'd like to add most Left-leaning publications never make any mention over the number of accidental firearm deaths.

I chose those publications because they are respected in some circles as indisputable sources of facts, figures and statistics. The citations I offered were done in good faith. As far as the WSJ, I read it every day, cover to cover, and find it filled with varying opinions encompassing both sides of the political spectrum. It is, in fact, the only American news source I read. I do not watch Fox at all, nor do I read the Tribune or Sun Times. I find both of Chicago's newspapers are stand-ins for journalism and simply bellow Left-wing groupthink.

Of over 22,000 gun-control laws, most are weak? What are you looking for? With all due respect, I hear this argument all the time: When gun-control laws fail to achieve the expressed goal of reducing or eliminating gun violence, the Left perforce repeats the need for more gun-control laws.

The much maligned NRA? Wow. They fight to let mentally handicapped people purchase guns. They fight to keep gun ownership information private. They sit idly by while Alex Jones denies that Sandy Hook ever happened or that Lakeland kids made up some of the horror they witnessed? Maligned? C'mon on

Democrats have pushed for ex-cons and prison inmates to have the right to vote. I own four firearms, all of which have been disabled and sit handsomely on my office wall behind glass. In my view, they are trophies and decorative items. I am not a firearm owner otherwise; I do not have a FOID card; and I have only fired a weapon once. Just no interest, but others have the right to own a firearm without their personal information broadcast in public. Look at the hue and cry over online security breaches: People were screaming over Internet hacks in which their personal information was exposed. Why should gun owners have their personal information revealed simply because they own a firearm?

I watched Sandy Hook unfold and was horrified. Alex Jones is a crank with zero credibility. As a comparison, MSNBC's hero, Rachel Maddow, an utter crackpot, habitually retails absurd Russia conspiracy theories on his evening show, and not a word is voiced as he brainwashes his audience with propaganda and outright lies about alleged collusion with Russia.

Before we go on, I want to remind you both you and I witnessed Watergate evolve. The Senate Committee on Watergate was established in February 1973. Scarcely four months into the probe, the panel had secured the cooperation of a White House aide and had obtained testimony from dozens leading even the brain dead to know Nixon was guilty.

We are closing in on one year, and Mueller (a good man caught up in a mess), has secured a handful of guilty pleas, all of which are entirely unconnected to the 2016 presidential election, but Maddow is out howling every night, vomiting up this nonsense on cable television. I don't own Jones, the Right has to contend with him, but Maddow is the Left's version of Jones. He just has a larger platform on MSNBC to hawk his fictions and apocalyptic visions.

They employ Dana Loesch to spread nasty nonsense.

Loesch enunciates reasoned arguments to preserve the right of gun owners.

On the contrary, the Left reflexively seizes on mass shootings and with an unholy glee is perfectly comfortable trotting out lawmakers with gruesome images of dead children to emotionally blackmail citizens to invite them to their anti-gun cause. Pretty sickening tactic, but when you have no argument and seek an end, its "anything goes" for the anti-gun crowd.

Most "lefties" have no problem with you owning a gun for hunting and/or protection. To claim that we want to take all guns is crazy. We could argue that assault weapons are a gateway to flame throwers or cannons. What about a billionaire who wouldn't mind owning a fighter jet. Sounds crazy? Check with your people first for craziness.

I disagree. The Left is singularly determined to repeal the Second Amendment. Period. While you can argue allowing the unrestricted sale of automatic weapons is a gateway to flame throwers or cannons, I can easily argue the slow infringement on legal gun ownership is a gateway to a full repeal of the Second Amendment. Despite this, I have never heard anyone say flame throwers, mortars or cannons should be part of the conversation. In contrast, I routinely hear the Left call for a repeal of legal gun ownership, and it's growing.

Billionaires like their toys...........and, for clarity, I did not vote for the blowhard New York real estate developer, but I would have never voted for the serial prevaricator from Park Ridge.

This on top of the other 22,000 gun-control laws?

This is an awfully vague demand. It would have to include very specific language, which I don't think many on your side of the political divide would be willing to add.

But in 20 years, though, American society could be rid of these terror weapons. But so what if it takes multiple decades? At least, by 2040 or so, the mess would be cleared up and your grandchildren won't have to duck in class.

I heard the same argument in the 60s and crime has only increased.

Here is my offer to you: I pledge to you my support to repeal the Second Amendment for a period not exceeding three years beginning January 1, 2019. By the Left's rationale, gun crime will be virtually non-existent at midnight January 1, 2019.

If, by chance, there is a single death by a firearm over the three-year period, we revive the Second Amendment and repeal every gun-control law on the books at any level. Agreed? It seems to be a fair trial period.

I've had countless exchanges with you over the last 15 years. I've never been snide.

Last edited:
How old are you?

15?
What is wrong with you? Why are you getting personal and coming down on me? All I am doing is disagreeing with you and providing facts. You are pushing your political and personal agenda.

As for my quote...the first time I heard it said that way was from Howie Long. He was a grown man at the time and so was I.

Why all the anger directed at me?
[/QUOTE]

Why would I care what Howie Long said about anything? If he jumped off the Empire State Building, would you follow him?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT