ADVERTISEMENT

D1 Football in Chicago??

ClownBaby

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2006
Convince me this wouldn’t be a total disaster like their basketball program. Also what ever happened to Lewis adding football?

Delusional.......they average 100 fans for a basketball game.
There are more fans at St. Christina 5th grade hoops game.

The Hoops team plays 8 home games (6 vs NAIA or D3)

23 road games because they need the money from the home team to support athletics.

March 1st CSU AT Gonzaga........how's that gonna go?

Reactions: ClownBaby
Someone is getting bad advice if they think this is a good, realistic idea...is it really that easy for NIU? Or even Northwestern? Who is going to attend games?

Reactions: mullin17
What kind of money does it take to start a D 1 program ? Anyone have a guess ?

What kind of money does it take to start a D 1 program ? Anyone have a guess ?
Not much when you can be the preseason non con victory game for Power 5’s and the late season filler game for the SEC every year.

Reactions: mullin17
Their D1 soccer program plays home games at Brooks High School and The Kroc Center on 119th. Maybe they should slow down. They may be a decent D2 school with some facility upgrades, but their campus needs some improvements, and there is the matter of campus safety. They should focus on improving their current athletic teams before considering adding football. However, watching Central Michigan and Chicago State's football teams waiting on the side at Gately for the 9:00 am Chicago Bulls Prep vs. Julian game to end would be funny.

Last edited:
NIU had the lowest per game average attendance in the FBS at 9,198 per game in 2022.

NIU has had tremendous success in the last twenty years - Orange bowl, MAC champions, bowl game after bowl game - yet they can’t draw flies. What makes Chicago St. think their nascent program is going to draw enough fans to support a D1 program? Can they out-recruit the MAC, B1G, etc for talent? I doubt it.

Add that CSU’s basketball program has traditionally been one of the worst programs in the country and this entire D1 football seems like a pipe dream given hoops is a lot easier to sustain than football.

Why not try D3 first and develop a rivalry with UChicago before taking on Bama, Florida or Georgia?

Reactions: Gene K.
NIU had the lowest per game average attendance in the FBS at 9,198 per game in 2022.

NIU has had tremendous success in the last twenty years - Orange bowl, MAC champions, bowl game after bowl game - yet they can’t draw flies. What makes Chicago St. think their nascent program is going to draw enough fans to support a D1 program? Can they out-recruit the MAC, B1G, etc for talent? I doubt it.

Add that CSU’s basketball program has traditionally been one of the worst programs in the country and this entire D1 football seems like a pipe dream given hoops is a lot easier to sustain than football.

Why not try D3 first and develop a rivalry with UChicago before taking on Bama, Florida or Georgia?
Well IMO it will never happen. They better think D3 or bust. It’s a joke to think anything more. Let’s see if the new Bears stadium happens. Some of you guys have this is done deal. I won’t believe it until I see it. This is Chicago and the entire city is corrupt, anything can happen and will happen in my opinion.

Well IMO it will never happen. They better think D3 or bust. It’s a joke to think anything more. Let’s see if the new Bears stadium happens. Some of you guys have this is done deal. I won’t believe it until I see it. This is Chicago and the entire city is corrupt, anything can happen and will happen in my opinion.
At risk of taking a diarrhea-paced trip to the restroom, could the Bears be waiting out the mayoral election and be ready to deal with the next one?

The tight wad Bears are not spending all that money just for show. Arlington Heights will be the new stadium for the Bears.
If they can get the city/state to pay for the renovation at Soldier Field again then they could flip the Arlington heights property

If they can get the city/state to pay for the renovation at Soldier Field again then they could flip the Arlington heights property
But why it makes the franchise so much more valuable to own your own stadium. There are so many revenue streams the Bears currently miss out on the only way they stay at Solider Field is if the city renovated the stadium then is willing to sell the stadium to them.

Their D1 soccer program plays home games at Brooks High School and The Kroc Center on 119th. Maybe they should slow down. They may be a decent D2 school with some facility upgrades, but their campus needs some improvements, and there is the matter of campus safety. They should focus on improving their current athletic teams before considering adding football. However, watching Central Michigan and Chicago State's football teams waiting on the side at Gately for the 9:00 am Chicago Bulls Prep vs. Julian game to end would be funny.
What I would pay to see the red coats work a college game

• Love
Reactions: RichieRebel
But why it makes the franchise so much more valuable to own your own stadium. There are so many revenue streams the Bears currently miss out on the only way they stay at Solider Field is if the city renovated the stadium then is willing to sell the stadium to them.
I agree but we are talking about the Bears. I think hiring Warren will change the business model and he will make sure they do what you described

They just hired an extremely seasoned executive that was part of MN stadium deal. They are in good hands.
The same seasoned exec that handled Covid season so poorly… IK IK, my thing with him if it so dangerous for you student athletes how can your son participate else where?

The same seasoned exec that handled Covid season so poorly… IK IK, my thing with him if it so dangerous for you student athletes how can your son participate else where?
Pretty sure it was not his decision to make alone. The university presidents and ADs had a huge say in that decision. They were his boss

Pretty sure it was not his decision to make alone. The university presidents and ADs had a huge say in that decision. They were his boss
If he’s that great of an exec and it wasn’t his decision maybe he should’ve convinced them otherwise? Idk he handled it poorly with changing the rules for Ohio State but then didn’t change the rules for Illinois in basketball. I doubt many in Rosemont really care.

If he’s that great of an exec and it wasn’t his decision maybe he should’ve convinced them otherwise? Idk he handled it poorly with changing the rules for Ohio State but then didn’t change the rules for Illinois in basketball. I doubt many in Rosemont really care.
It is not like they were the only conference to initially cancel the season. Convincing university presidents to agree on anything is easier said than done. He did ink a massive tv and add the LA market in his short stint. Some good, some bad.

KW was excellent for the B1G. He positioned them moving forward as a top 2 conference and there isn’t a close 3rd. He’s leveraged a big payday to each of the member schools. Go ahead and complain about covid, if that’s the only bad thing about KW, then the Bears made an absolute hell of a hire.

Regarding Chi State offering D1 football. I agree I don’t see it likely, but I’m all for it if they can make it work. Just gives our student athletes another chance at a free education!

---

Regarding Chi State offering D1 football. I agree I don’t see it likely, but I’m all for it if they can make it work. Just gives our student athletes another chance at a free education!
I don't think a free education at Chicago State is worth much. Many of the players could get a free education at a significantly better school.

Chicago State could be like Valpo in football, that is about it. Football outside of the Power 5 is not about attendance it's about enrollment.

Reactions: AmbroseBlack

They play on Tuesdays and wednesdays.

No offense to any on the list, but what knowledge does Tom Thayer, a NBA Referee, HS Football Coach, and Mamma's Boy have on running a D-1 football Program?

The list of advisory and working group committee members (as of Jan. 26, 2023) is as follows:
  • Vaughn Bryant, Executive Director of Metropolitan Peace Initiatives, former NFL player
  • James Capers, current NBA official
  • Dante Culbreath, Simeon High School football coach
  • Tai Duncan, Licensed Chicago Attorney
  • Ricardo Estrada, CEO of Metropolitan Family Services
  • Howard Griffith, two-time NFL Super Bowl Champion, Illinois All-American, and current Big Ten Network analyst
  • Michael Holmes, CSU Vice President for Administrative Services
  • Larry Huggins, organizing member of the Chicago Football Classic
  • Dr. June Price-Shingles, CSU Faculty Athletic Representative
  • Melanie Sillas, Executive Director of the CSU Foundation
  • Essence Smart, CSU Student Board of Trustees representative
  • Rhonda Smith, CSU Director of Financial Aid
  • Cory Thames, CSU Board of Trustees Representative
  • Tom Thayer, member of the 1985 Chicago Bears Super Bowl team and current Bears radio analyst
  • Vada Williams, CSU Student-Athlete Advisory Committee representative
  • Otis Wilson, member of the 1985 Chicago Bears Super Bowl team

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT