ADVERTISEMENT

Craig Anderson Interview

So far I haven't seen anywhere about IHSA or ISBE surveying parents or putting parents on some form of a task force to determine educational needs going forward. Maybe I have missed it. But have seen other states doing that with these task forces. They should listen to the people too, the ones paying the taxes and fees. I suspect an overwhelming majority would be telling them to go forward as we were and let the athletes play with fans. But everyone is tied down to a state government that is OK with playing the "we just don't know yet" card. A card that is going to played until it's way too late to make the public happy.

Thoughts on flipping spring and fall sports? A concern for me is that IF (and I stress a big IF) a magic "second wave" comes and everyone irrationally freaks out again- and closes school in winter/spring, it would mean football is lost even longer. I think you gotta go for it and play through now.

Reactions: Gene K.
The idea to flip (which has been brought up already for NCAA and other state HS association) is that the "2nd wave" will knock out school again Fall/winter. So perhaps you can do spring sports in August to October, then do football in spring once the "2nd wave" is handled, March-June. Winter sports? Who knows.

best option is to flip baseball and Football only, not the full Spring sports. Lacrosse, Track, Softball, baseball etc. competing in Fall 2020 means no season in Spring 2021 while football may compete Spring 2021 (condensed season) & Fall 2021 (full 9 game slate) once IHSA gets back on track (hopefully). Of course two football seasons in one calendar year excites many, but other sports could be wiped out for a full calendar year.

Reactions: Gene K.
best option is to flip baseball and Football only, not the full Spring sports. Lacrosse, Track, Softball, baseball etc. competing in Fall 2020 means no season in Spring 2021 while football may compete Spring 2021 (condensed season) & Fall 2021 (full 9 game slate) once IHSA gets back on track (hopefully). Of course two football seasons in one calendar year excites many, but other sports could be wiped out for a full calendar year.

From a shared coaches and space aspect you would have to flip baseball and outdoor track with football. But none of it matters if we are not in school.

From a shared coaches and space aspect you would have to flip baseball and outdoor track with football. But none of it matters if we are not in school.
If there is any flipping I feel it’s going to have to be an all or none deal. They won’t make football players have to choose to give up track. And more importantly, a lot of small schools would have coaches unable to coach both seasons at the same time.

And given his statements on the IHSA fiscal concerns, I am fairly certain that any cancellation of fall sports would lead to a condensing of all three seasons and jamming them all into spring 2021. They just can’t forego the revenue from all the state series from a particular season so they will find a way to cram them all in over the spring.

The idea to flip (which has been brought up already for NCAA and other state HS association) is that the "2nd wave" will knock out school again Fall/winter. So perhaps you can do spring sports in August to October, then do football in spring once the "2nd wave" is handled, March-June. Winter sports? Who knows.

Honestly, this would be too unfair to spring sports athletes. The chance they'd lose their sports season a second school year in a row would be too great to inflict on them, I think.

I agree. I also was disappointed to see they have no real intention of figuring out how sports could work with e-learning. Have to stop comparing what NCAA does to hs sports. If we are in a phase that allows 50 people to gather but are in a hybrid remote learning, should allow sports to happen. If this is what it will be like for a bit, then figure it out so your IHSA can still function and give kids opportunities.

Anything other than just doing regular season timelines will create chaos. If the ISBE allows some local discretion for school (which it sounds like they are hinting at per their Step 1 transition plan released Fri night), IHSA has a duty to allow the districts to provide some opportunities. It may not be one size fits all.

Regarding Andersen's hope of getting things in this fall. Some more info has come out regarding kids not being affected nor transmitting the virus with much concern. This time backed by WHO. Will our government and local leaders follow this? Doubtful

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT