ADVERTISEMENT

CPL Pick Em Week 6: Big City Nights

Thereturnofcmonman

Oct 4, 2019
When Kiss wrote their famous hit Rock and Roll All Nite, they were obviously talking about the CPL football schedule. I wanna rock and roll all nite and party every day. CPL football allows us to do this. Thursday, Friday, Saturday (so many day games, so many night games). One long 3 day party! Let's rock on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Westinghouse Warriors at Lincoln Park Lions--Saturday, 4:00 at Lane: Patty Smyth! What a music legend! So many great hits, way too many to mention here in this thread. But, if you want a winner for this game, just go to a Scandal classic! Shooting down the walls of heartache, bang, bang, I am the WARRIOR! One day, Westinghouse will learn that their entrance music should be the Ultimate Warrior's theme. No way anyone in the game will run as fast as he did though.

ITW Speer Pride at Steinmetz Silver Streaks--Saturday, 12:00 at Lane: Ray Stevens time........Hello everybody, this is your action news reporter with all the news across the nation. Reporting live from the mean green field on the northwest side. Pardon me sir, did you see what happened? Yeah, I diddd. I was walking over to the imaginary concession stand to get myself a snow cone. When right out of the blue, the game started. I didn't even see the guy that was supposed to return the kick. He came out of nowhere from the stands and streaked up and down the sideline. I hollered up at Ethel and yelled "DON'T LOOK ETHEL." It was too late. The game was already over. Metz with a big win!

Orr Spartans at Clark Eagles--Friday, 4:15 at Rockne: Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the future. Or is that the athletes on the grass at Rockne stadium. Probably both. The Steve Miller Band had so many better hits than Fly Like an Eagle. Swingtown, Jungle Love, Abracadabra, Take the Money and Run. Take your money, put it on Orr, and then run away with your winnings!

Hyde Park Thunderbirds vs. Dunbar Mightymen--Saturday, 4:00 at Eckersall: Time for some Manfred Mann and his Earth Band! Come all without, come all within! You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quinn! Well, it's time for the sequel! Come all without (a ticket), come all within (to Eckersall), you'll not see nothing like the MIGHTYMEN!!! Dunbar wins easily.

Sullivan Tigers vs. Mather Rangers--Thursday, 4:15 at Winnemac: In the eyes of a ranger, the unsuspected stranger, had better know the truth of wrong from right. Cause the eyes of the ranger are upon you; any wrong you do he's gonna see (the refs sure won't), when you're in Texas look behind you, cause that's where the Ranger is gonna be! Well, if they are in Texas, they aren't at Winnemac. Kevin Sullivan and the Dungeon of Doom get a big win!

Dusable Panthers vs. CMA Bronzeville Eagles--Saturday, 10:00 at Eckersall: There's a road I'd like to tell you about, lives in my hometown. Lake Shore Drive the road is called, and it'll take you up or down. From rats on up to riches, 15 minutes you can fly. Pretty blue lights along the way, to help you right on by. And the blue lights shining with a heavenly grace, help you right on by. Well, Lake Shore Drive now has a new name with DuSable in it, but the Dusable bus is gonna be too busy jamming and will forget where the game is being played. CMA Bronzeville gets a much needed win.

Kelly Trojans vs. Gage Park Owls--Friday, 4:15 at Stagg: Anytime I can think about the Little River Band, it is a good day. I love their song Night Owl, such a good jam. Problem for Gage Park is that this game isn't at night. Owls like to sleep during the day. Therefore, the Kelly Green is gonna get a huge win at Stagg on Friday afternoon.

Game of the Week: Marine Bulldogs vs. Roosevelt Rough Riders--Saturday, 10:00 at Winnemac: Last night you told her, you could never hold her, cause a Cowboy's just got to be free. Her heart was breakin, yours was achin, but you saddled up to follow your dreams. Coffee on the campfire, wind thru the barbed wire. You huddle close to the flame. Though she's far behind you, the night wind reminds you, it just keeps on whisperin her name. You can make a run for the border, try to hide in the hole in the wall. But don't you know your arms are achin to hold her, and cowboy even though you're riding tall, you're riding for a fall. There are so many references to this barnburner in Chris Ledoux's ballad, but the Rough Riders are definitely riding for a fall. Marine wins a very sloppy game.

When Kiss wrote their famous hit Rock and Roll All Nite, they were obviously talking about the CPL football schedule. I wanna rock and roll all nite and party every day. CPL football allows us to do this. Thursday, Friday, Saturday (so many day games, so many night games). One long 3 day party! Let's rock on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Westinghouse Warriors at Lincoln Park Lions--Saturday, 4:00 at Lane: Patty Smyth! What a music legend! So many great hits, way too many to mention here in this thread. But, if you want a winner for this game, just go to a Scandal classic! Shooting down the walls of heartache, bang, bang, I am the WARRIOR! One day, Westinghouse will learn that their entrance music should be the Ultimate Warrior's theme. No way anyone in the game will run as fast as he did though.

ITW Speer Pride at Steinmetz Silver Streaks--Saturday, 12:00 at Lane: Ray Stevens time........Hello everybody, this is your action news reporter with all the news across the nation. Reporting live from the mean green field on the northwest side. Pardon me sir, did you see what happened? Yeah, I diddd. I was walking over to the imaginary concession stand to get myself a snow cone. When right out of the blue, the game started. I didn't even see the guy that was supposed to return the kick. He came out of nowhere from the stands and streaked up and down the sideline. I hollered up at Ethel and yelled "DON'T LOOK ETHEL." It was too late. The game was already over. Metz with a big win!

Orr Spartans at Clark Eagles--Friday, 4:15 at Rockne: Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the future. Or is that the athletes on the grass at Rockne stadium. Probably both. The Steve Miller Band had so many better hits than Fly Like an Eagle. Swingtown, Jungle Love, Abracadabra, Take the Money and Run. Take your money, put it on Orr, and then run away with your winnings!

Hyde Park Thunderbirds vs. Dunbar Mightymen--Saturday, 4:00 at Eckersall: Time for some Manfred Mann and his Earth Band! Come all without, come all within! You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quinn! Well, it's time for the sequel! Come all without (a ticket), come all within (to Eckersall), you'll not see nothing like the MIGHTYMEN!!! Dunbar wins easily.

Sullivan Tigers vs. Mather Rangers--Thursday, 4:15 at Winnemac: In the eyes of a ranger, the unsuspected stranger, had better know the truth of wrong from right. Cause the eyes of the ranger are upon you; any wrong you do he's gonna see (the refs sure won't), when you're in Texas look behind you, cause that's where the Ranger is gonna be! Well, if they are in Texas, they aren't at Winnemac. Kevin Sullivan and the Dungeon of Doom get a big win!

Dusable Panthers vs. CMA Bronzeville Eagles--Saturday, 10:00 at Eckersall: There's a road I'd like to tell you about, lives in my hometown. Lake Shore Drive the road is called, and it'll take you up or down. From rats on up to riches, 15 minutes you can fly. Pretty blue lights along the way, to help you right on by. And the blue lights shining with a heavenly grace, help you right on by. Well, Lake Shore Drive now has a new name with DuSable in it, but the Dusable bus is gonna be too busy jamming and will forget where the game is being played. CMA Bronzeville gets a much needed win.

Kelly Trojans vs. Gage Park Owls--Friday, 4:15 at Stagg: Anytime I can think about the Little River Band, it is a good day. I love their song Night Owl, such a good jam. Problem for Gage Park is that this game isn't at night. Owls like to sleep during the day. Therefore, the Kelly Green is gonna get a huge win at Stagg on Friday afternoon.

Game of the Week: Marine Bulldogs vs. Roosevelt Rough Riders--Saturday, 10:00 at Winnemac: Last night you told her, you could never hold her, cause a Cowboy's just got to be free. Her heart was breakin, yours was achin, but you saddled up to follow your dreams. Coffee on the campfire, wind thru the barbed wire. You huddle close to the flame. Though she's far behind you, the night wind reminds you, it just keeps on whisperin her name. You can make a run for the border, try to hide in the hole in the wall. But don't you know your arms are achin to hold her, and cowboy even though you're riding tall, you're riding for a fall. There are so many references to this barnburner in Chris Ledoux's ballad, but the Rough Riders are definitely riding for a fall. Marine wins a very sloppy game.
This game is personal. 4 of us either worked at Orr or went there. We plan on a true beat down of them this weekend. This is the one game you can mark as a lock for a win.

This game is personal. 4 of us either worked at Orr or went there. We plan on a true beat down of them this weekend. This is the one game you can mark as a lock for a win.
Coach Percy! If you don't mind, which of your coaches worked at Orr and when? Personal reason for asking!

I coached Track n Cross country from 2010-16. Head Coach Simmons coached Football n Track 07-10. Receivers Coach Whitaker graduated in 07. Line coach Johnson worked security 07-09.

Reactions: Gene K.
Is it Wednesday already? Pre game practice for a load of CPS teams. Time to get those kicking games tightened up!...er......um....who am I kidding? There is (virtually) no kicking in the CPL! We go for 2 BABY!!

Westinghouse Warriors at Lincoln Park Lions--Saturday, 4:00 at Lane:
If you ever had the pleasure of attending a Detroit Lions football game in the Pontiac Silverdome, you would have heard the Lion Roar sound effect played incessantly. Of course, in the acoustics in the Silverdome made it sound like a toilet flush, which was probably more appropriate for the Lions. This week, the Lincoln Park Lions are going to flush the first 5 games of the season and win their first one!
Lincoln Park!

ITW Speer Pride at Steinmetz Silver Streaks--Saturday, 12:00 at Lane:
I'm guessing Hugh Hefner is the most famous Steinmetz alum. Dude rarely wore anything but a bathrobe around the Playboy mansion. With a noon start, Hugh's alma mater will roll out of bed and roll over the Speer.
Take the Silver Streakers!

Orr Spartans at Clark Eagles--Friday, 4:15 at Rockne:
Coach Percy says this one is personal and guarantees a win for Michelle. Orr is having a down year. Isn't it common knowledge that you throw out the records in a rivalry game? Plus, a rivalry game with a 4:15 start? My God, you'll be able to feel the excitement for miles...
ORR!

Hyde Park Thunderbirds vs. Dunbar Mightymen--Saturday, 4:00 at Eckersall:
“What’s the word? Thunderbird. How’s it sold? Good and cold. What’s the jive? Bird’s alive. What’s the price? Thirty twice.” Greatest Ad jingle ever. Though, when I got to college, it was thirty, nine times, I always appreciated a delicious bottle of Thunderbird, (or 2 when it was 2 for $5)
Give me that old school citrus flavor! Give me Hyde Park!

Sullivan Tigers vs. Mather Rangers--Thursday, 4:15 at Winnemac:
Winnemac is such a great stadium to hit up on a beautiful Thursday fall afternoon. Not only is the stadium nice, the park is great, and it is a short walk to Lincoln Square for some post game revelry. For the record, it also works on a Saturday morning where you can grab a great breakfast in Lincoln Square and then walk to the stadium for a 10am start. Of course, none of this Mathers if my wife has already made plans.
Sullivan!

Dusable Panthers vs. CMA Bronzeville Eagles--Saturday, 10:00 at Eckersall:
Nothing screams double forfeit like 0-5 vs 2-3 at Eckersall for a 10am start. NOT SO FAST MY FRIENDS! Dusable will discover their offense this week and win their first one!
Dusable!

Kelly Trojans vs. Gage Park Owls--Friday, 4:15 at Stagg:
Do you remember that Tootsie Roll TV commercial where the owl tries to find out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? One....Two....Three...Chomp... It takes 3.... Damn, that was a good ad. Simple, to the point, and delicious!
Take the Owls? Who? The Owls! Who? The Owls!

Game of the Week: Marine Bulldogs vs. Roosevelt Rough Riders--Saturday, 10:00 at Winnemac:
There is no way any other Pick 'em on the planet has this one as your Game Of The Week. This is why you come her folks! Roosevelt didn't play in the 2021 spring season. They were replaced by Taft's JV team, which went undefeated and won the conference. Roosevelt is back with 2 Forfeit wins. Marine hasn't scored since Game 1. The weather will be cloudy, but warm, just like the biscuit sandwiches at Bang Bang Pie Co across the park.
Let's Ride Rough Riders!!

I need a Kennedy/ North Lawndale preview.
You asked? You shall receive! CPL BONUS PICK OF THE WEEK!

Kennedy vs North Lawndale. Thursday night at 7:15 under the lights at Rockne. If anyone has ever been to Rockne Stadium, you'd know that the Lawn is not exactly a priority, both around the stadium and on the field. In fact, there are these weird fenced off areas on either side of the visitor stands that are all overgrown. Abandoned cars, tall grass...Straight out of a horror movie type of stuff. Of course, the real horror movie is in the men's bathroom under the visitor stands. Trust me on this one. With all of that bad mojo, there is no way I can take a team with Lawn in their name.
Take the Missile Pigs!

Last edited:
So good. This classic Scorpions song inspires me to do a SECOND CPL BONUS PICK OF THE WEEK! (Based on another classic Scorpions' Song....The Zoo!

Pritzker Jaguars vs Chicago Academy Cougars @ Chicago Academy Friday 4:15

Two teams with mascots that you could see in the zoo. Jaguars and Cougars. Typically in the big cat enclosures. Divided from the general public by moats, and fences. The type of enclosures that people drop their kids into, and then get the ensuing hijinks plastered all over social media. To be honest, not the best place to see a game. The stadium is behind the old Wright College. Tight seating. Not a lot of space to move around. When you leave this one at halftime, walk down to the Belmont Tap for a cold one and a sandwich.
Go Cougs!

I coached Track n Cross country from 2010-16. Head Coach Simmons coached Football n Track 07-10. Receivers Coach Whitaker graduated in 07. Line coach Johnson worked security 07-09.
My son Keith was a CPD school resource officer at Orr for a few years. He got injured in a scuffle with a student, and tore his bicep muscle off the bone around 2016-2017. He was out for a year and never went back to Orr. I remember distinctly that he spoke very highly of the coaches and teachers at Orr. Good luck to your team Coach Percy!

The value of free association is that it gives us unfettered access to the unconscious mind. Calling up spirits from the depths, like consulting a Ouija board or a deck of Tarot cards, can induce a hypnotic state that reveals future football scores to the receptive mind. Remember, though, that anyone using our predications to wager money with a bookie has to pay us a vig of 10%.

Westinghouse Warriors at Lincoln Park Lions In keeping with this week's theme of music and football, this matchup conjures up that golden oldie "The Lion Sleeps Tonight," by the Tokens. When they aren't chasing gazelles across the savannah, lions are pretty lazy, sleeping up to 20 hours a day. And if the lions are sleeping, the opposing team can scamper into the end zone untouched. Especially if it's Westinghouse. Another team may not make it without getting mauled, but you can be sure if it's Westinghouse.

Orr Spartans at Clark Eagles The 4:15 start time is just one of the things that make this game seem like an extended stay at the Hotel California. The other is that Coach Percy and three guys on his staff have a deep connection to Orr that hasn't receded with time. As the song says, "You can always check out of Orr, but you can never leave." Coach is predicting a beatdown but his team may be beaten like a drum.

Hyde Park Thunderbirds vs. Dunbar Mightymen This game's prognostication comes to us from the great Texas blues band The Fabulous Thunderbirds. Mighty Dunbar may be mighty, but the Thunderbirds will get in some licks and prove to be, if not invincible, then at least "Tuff Enuff." Get down after the game with Chicago's best blues band, Morry Sochat and the Special 20s. Morry Sochat is a master of the blues harmonica.

DuSable Panthers vs. CMA Bronzeville Eagles Known for its marching band and music department, DuSable will try to give the jazz to neighborhood rival CMA in the coveted Saturday morning slot. The Chicago Military Academy is an interesting approach to education, and you would expect the team to be well drilled and disciplined. Yes, I know that 10 o'clock is early, but attendance at a morning game is a test of your devotion to the league.

I don't think this thread is widely read. A Suburban Conference fan said last week that the city's magnet schools are not considered public schools, the craziest thing I've ever read on Edgy.

Gene reads it, though. Gene, what a terrible thing your son had to go through. I hope he recovered use of his arm.

I don't think this thread is widely read. A Suburban Conference fan said last week that the city's magnet schools are not considered public schools, the craziest thing I've ever read on Edgy.
Not enough people appreciate CPL football. Period. The only time they mention it is when they complain about CPL teams taking up places in the IHSA playoffs. And like every year, I invite all of them to Stagg Stadium for a 4pm Thursday game between 2 teams that dress 14 kids. No fans in the stands. No bands. No cheerleaders. Only 3 referees show up. 1, maybe 2 coaches for each team. No trainers. Good chance of no locker room. Fields lined every 10 yards. Mismatched uniforms. Linemen wearing single digits and Quarterbacks wearing 53. Not one kid with a Hudl account for highlights.

Admittedly, it isn't great football, but it is football for the love of the game. Coaches that put the needs of the kids first and work hard to get them the benefits that playing football provide.

Enough of that. CPL BONUS PICK OF THE WEEK #3
Ag Science vs Gary Combover 7:15 TONIGHT at Gately

If we are talking about The Scorpions, we have to mention their biggest song, Rock You Like a Hurricane. I have no idea what the actual difference is between a Hurricane and an Ag Science Cyclone, but it doesn't seem like it would be much. Hold on to your Gately Dogs, because the Winds of Change will be blowing tonight! Take the Cyclones!

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. Can't believe we are already staring down the first weekend of October. 3 more weeks and many of these programs will be shutting it down for the year wondering if they will be able to put together a team again for next season! Don't worry about the future focus on the now! Let's get to the action...

Westinghouse Warriors at Lincoln Park Lions--Saturday, 4:00 at Lane:
When I hear Warriors I think basketball and winning. When I hear Lions I think football and losing, lots of losing. Well until this year at least, now I think about knee caps and a crazy coach that seems like he might get things figured out in Detroit for once. You know who's not figuring football things out? Lincoln Park they are regressing quite quickly. Give me the House.

ITW Speer Pride at Steinmetz Silver Streaks--Saturday, 12:00 at Lane:
One would hope the local school Streaks take great offense to this game. It was Speer's creation that plummeted their attendance numbers and left the school in shambles. Metz getz revengz

Orr Spartans at Clark Eagles--Friday, 4:15 at Rockne:
If Coach Percy is guaranteeing it you know it's about to go down. Michelle gives Orr the 50 burger.

Hyde Park Thunderbirds vs. Dunbar Mightymen--Saturday, 4:00 at Eckersall:
Had a buddy that rolled around in a thunderbird back in the 90s. We always called it his thunder chicken, because it couldn't really fly. Doesn't have anything to do with the game other than nothing beats good chicken. Give me Hyde Park

Sullivan Tigers vs. Mather Rangers--Thursday, 4:15 at Winnemac:
Tigers and Rangers is way more of a baseball matchup then it is football. But not in CPS, it doesn't mather the matchup. Rangers win.

Dusable Panthers vs. CMA Bronzeville Eagles--Saturday, 10:00 at Eckersall:
Mmmmm, Saturday at 10 am. Leads us to the old adage "if there's no one there to see the game, was it really a game?" Double Forfeit, no one saw it coming.

Kelly Trojans vs. Gage Park Owls--Friday, 4:15 at Stagg:
The wooden horse rolls into Gage Park? You know WHO loves tall wooden structures? Owls WHO, I mean do! Gage Park takes it

Game of the Week: Marine Bulldogs vs. Roosevelt Rough Riders--Saturday, 10:00 at Winnemac:
"See" above. Double Forfeit again!

6-0 with 324 pts scored this year and avging 54.3 pts a game. Not bad for a small school that no one has heard of. Only 143 pts to break Simeon 2010 CPS scoring record of 466pts in 9 games.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT