ADVERTISEMENT

CPL Pick’em Road Trip Wisconsin Edition

Schwab54

Nov 13, 2016
We should be hitting week 5 of the IHSA season. A big week of crossover matchups in the CPL but instead I am breaking down football matchups out of state, 2020 sucks! Well this week we hit Wisconsin and let me tell you some of these matchups sound right out of the CPL.

Sauk Prairie vs Baraboo
I have an uncle who once a year goes out and hunts prairie dogs. Despite the names these things aren’t actual dogs and are more of a squirrel type animal. I know nothing about Baraboo but it sounds super CPLish. Can just imagine heading out to Gatley on a Thursday at 3:30, getting myself a couple of Gatley Dogs and enjoying a Baraboo vs Orr game. I’d probably take Orr in that matchup but Sauk Prairie ain’t no Orr!
Baraboo by 17

Reedsburg vs Portage
As a White Sox fan it’s been a rough few days. And Reedsburg makes me think of all the Reeds who played for the Sox. AJ Reed was awful, Addison Reed was just okay and was traded for Matt Davidson even worse, and the original Reed, Jeremy Reed. After batting .400 in double A I thought he would be great. But as the Sox did with most prospects who could have been good he was dealt. And who did they receive for him? Sweaty Freddy. Portage is a neighborhood in Chicago and while normally that would be enough to get the win, but today I pick Sweaty Freddy!
Reedsburg with a late FG for the W!

New London vs Xavier
I will never pick Britain to beat Americans in football!
Xavier by 50

Winneconne vs Freedom
While I truly love Winneconne after just picking London to lose I must follow up with Freedom for a 35 point win!

Howard’s Grove vs Random Lake
Random Lake is super confusing. How is that a name? Why hasn’t anyone changed it? Are there so many lakes in Wisconsin that they found one more and had run out of names? Are there so few lakes in Wisconsin that when someone stumbled in to this one they said “wow super random that there would be a lake here.” I have so many questions and I need answers! But the main question is who do I need to talk to to get a 4:15 game at Eckersall between Random Lake and Back of the Yards?
To start a positive relationship to make the game a reality I will pick Random Lake by 14

Horicon/Husisford vs BIG FOOT
There are many rules to CPL Pick’em. You always pick Senn, the Phoenix are always rising, you always pick the Fenger Fingers, Michelle is always a beacon of light. But one of the rules that isn’t talked about enough is that if a team has a hyphen they are always the pick! But a slash is not a hyphen. On the other hand Big Foot is clearly the GREATEST HIGH SCHOOL NAME OF ALL TIME! That’s just a fantastic name. Though they really did drop the ball why in the world are they the Big Foot Chiefs? Horrible team name, just be Big Foot, Big Foot Sasquatches also acceptable. If they don’t have Big Foot on their helmets they really dropped the ball on this one!
Big Foot by 100

Oregon vs Beaver Dam
Oregon vs Oregon State, for a long time that looked like a game we would not be happening, but the PAC 12 reversed course, followed the word of my man Sir Yacht and the PAC is back Jack! While a schedule isn’t out yet I don’t believe hopefully we get Oregon vs Oregon State. In the meantime we get Oregon vs the Beavers! Not sure if they’re the fastest team in America anymore but Penei Sewell is one bad man!
Ducks 45 Beavers 30

Germantown vs Hamilton
Germans playing football in America? That seems like a bad move. On the other hand we have Alexander Hamilton. If we know one think about Hamilton is that he’s not throwing away his shot and he’s worth $10
10-0 Hamilton

Fond Du Lac vs Kaukauna
If there’s one thing any good CPL fan knows it’s that Ghosts rule CPL football. Ghost of a lawn chair, ghosts of someone’s Mountain Dew, ghost of the ghost! It’s all about the ghosts and cmon man but that’s another story. Well no idea about Fond Du Lac but zero chance the Kaukauna Ghosts are losing! Give them the state title it’s OVER!
Ghosts by 200

My guy @Schwab54 has outdone himself with these picks. The Thursday afternoon Orr - Baraboo game is brilliant. I tip my hat to you good sir. I also appreciate the shout out. Unfortunately, no Thursday CPL matchups, but the fine state of Wisconsin is off and running! Get to the fish fry early, because we have some barn burners this week!

Sauk Prairie vs Baraboo
Look, Baraboo is one of those names you see on an Interstate Exit sign and wonder about. Who lives there? Where do they work? What goes on there? What do they do there for fun? You ask the questions every time, but you never take the time to stop. No need. You know what they do in Baraboo? They wait all week for Friday Night Lights.
Take the Boo

Reedsburg vs Portage
Fenger!

New London vs Xavier
Even Old London doesn't have a chance against Xavier in in this one.
Take XXX

Winnemac vs Freedom
Sorry, even a team named after a legendary CPL Stadium can't beat the sweet, sweet, taste of Freedom.
America in a rout

Sounds like one of those elite Lake County subdivision battles. Nothing beats the heated competition when these two decorate their "Welcome To...."subdivision entrance signs. "Oh look Muffy, Howard's Grove has an animatronic spider that shoots cotton candy webs! We are going to need to improve our comical skeleton display!" Chuckle Chuckle. Ugh.
Spiders > Skeletons in holiday displays. Take the Grove.

Best game on the board. A Slash vs. BIG FOOT. Seriously, this is a true CPL Pick'em. Could go either way. Per @Schwab54's post, I looked up Big Foot's helmets. Unfortunately, no Squatch on the helmets. BUT, the coaching staff wears Vests! Not full sweater vests, a la Ditka, but vests!. Never bet against coaches in Vests!
FOOT!

Oregon vs Beaver Dam
Sorry Beavers, No way I bet against a team that enters the game behind a pantsless duck on an Harley.
Harley is Wisconsin. Take the Badgers....er the Ducks!

Germantown vs Hamilton
Freedom and Hamilton in the Same Pick' Em? Goes to show that no matter what we go through, America always finds a way to overcome and be victorious in the end.
Take the guy that fought next to George Washington!

Fond Du Lac vs Kaukauna
Fondue is easily the most overrated food. Or is it a food style? Or is the cooking utensils? All I can tell you is that if I go to a restaurant, I expect someone to cook my food for me. Why should I pay full price if I have to do all the work? While I'm at it, I also hate those old school pizza places where I have to go up and order, then wait for my food, while I have to go to the bar and fetch my own beer every time. 100% unacceptable. And don't give me any of the "the pizza is worth it" crap, I can get my own food at home. I pay for the service. With all of that said, there is no way I would pick against a town with a cheese brand named after it, OR a team named the Ghosts!
Kaukauna rolls!

Last edited:
......Hey Yo

You know who I am, but you don't know why I'm here. Well chico, I am here to take a little survey. It's real, real simple, you're either with us or you're against us. So did anybody here come to read CPL high school football (crowd goes wild)...Well chico, they ain't playing because Wisconsin is where the big boys play this week. (Crowd starts booing and throwing things to the ring because there are no Thursday 4:15 battles). On to the picks, and I don't mean my toothpick which I will throw at you very shortly unless you shut up.

Sauk Prairie vs Baraboo

You know what chico, all of you idiot fans boo the NWO every week out here. Well you all are just a bunch of losers, just like Baraboo will be this week. What kind of name is Baraboo? Is that supposed to be scary? Sounds like a weird form of the gummy bears I hate. Sauk Prairie rolls this week 38-21

Reedsburg vs Portage
Portage, Wisconsin!!!!!!!!! Wolfpac in da house!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know when Big sexy was in the back throwing a few back with my main man Scott, we passed a couple of Porta Potties. Well, it turns out that the name Portage was spray painted on the side. That's because Portage is a bunch of crap, and they will always be crap. Reedsburg lays the hammer down 42-7

New London vs Xavier
Ode a lay!!! A viva la raza!!! You know doze boys from England be talkin about that black and white, but more importantly than all that, the brothers from Xavier be rowdy rowdy and BOWDY BOWDY! K-dog has been the United States champion, but he ain't never been the British champion. Oh wait, that's because there is no British champion homie. Xavier wins 31-28 in a close match that almost ends in a time limit draw.

Winneconne vs Freedom
You know back when I was tag teaming with my brother Ricky, we took WCW by storm. No one could stop the Steiner Brothers. We were the best team since the Fabulous Freebirds. Us Michigan boys say let freedom ring. This goes out to all my FREEks out there. Big Poppa Pump is your hookup, holla if you hear me!!!! Freedom wins 24-0.

This match scheduled for one fall and a 60 minute time limit is for the World Wrestling Federation Championship!!!! Well, that line was uttered countless times by a wrestling legend. The one, the only, Howard Finkel. We truly lost a wrestling legend earlier this year when he passed away. His spirit lives on and runs through the veins of Howard's Grove. The Howard Finkles (not Ray Finkles) roll 27-3.

Hulkamania ended so many matches with the big foot and the leg drop. To many fans though, one of the biggest moments in WWE history was when Hogan missed with the big leg drop. He hit the big boot, but couldn't hit the leg drop. The Ultimate Warrior hit the big splash to end the title reign of Hulkamania. Well, Horicon Husisford doesn't have the same power. They get taken down by the Big Foot 34-31.

Oregon vs Beaver Dam
Wrestling has had its share of bad gimmicks. One of the absolute worst of all time came in 1999 when Headbanger Mosh went out on his own after Thrasher was injured. The Headbangers were weird enough, but when Mosh was turned into Beaver Cleavage, that was a new low. The WWF hit home runs with so many superstars in the late 1990's, but Beaver Cleavage might have been their biggest swing and miss. That is what happens tonight as Oregon beats Beaver Dam 13-0.

Germantown vs Hamilton
My name is Alexander Hamilton!!!! My name is Alexander Hamilton!!! And there's a million things I haven't done. Well, one of them is win a football game. For anybody that watched WCW in its prime, you know that one of the true superstars of the company was Das Wunderkid Alex Wright. Man could that man dance after he hit a move, and the babes loved him so much. Germantown hits the German suplex for the win and celebrates with German Chocolate Cake after the game. 21-20

Fond Du Lac vs Kaukauna
When I see the name Kaukauna, I start to think about all of the great Samoan and Tongan wrestlers that have stepped into the ring. The Rock is obviously a classic. Meng and the Barbarian, managed by the great Jimmy Hart as part of the Dungeon of Doom. Rikishi Phatu. Well, fond du lac tastes like crap and Rikishi is the master of the stink face, so that means Fond Du Lac will be stinking all not long. Kaukauna erupts in a huge 36-2 victory (a great CPL score).

These are all literary masterpieces.

And this traveling CPS pick’em thread is becoming my weekly fix.

Can you guys/gals apply to run the CPS please?
I will take on this challenge. I promise plenty of MAC style midweek action. Harlan vs. Corliss on a Tuesday afternoon at Stagg Stadium? You got it good sir! Crane vs. Juarez on Wednesday night at Eckersall? Done. Tilden vs. Carver on a special Thursday at noon. The people demand it!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT