ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Talk: West Suburban Silver Conference

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Just a place to break down the 2023 West Suburban Silver conference race.

Top teams to watch in the West Suburban? Sleeper teams to watch? Player of the Year in the conference? Game of the Year? Lets talk West Suburban Silver conference for 2023 here.

Of course, any title talk for the WSC Silver always starts with Glenbard West. IMO, the Hitters are the favorite once again; I think Julius Ellens and Joey Pope have big years at running back.

I think LT will probably be GW’s main challenger. I know the Lions lost some key guys from last year, but coach Beutjer seems to finally have the program rolling again. I can also see Hinsdale Central bouncing back from a rare down year.

I’d expect both DGN and York to take some steps back. Both the Trojans and Dukes lost a lot to graduation.

OPRF has been in a rut lately, not having qualified for the state playoffs since 2018. But we all know the Huskies always have plenty of athletes; it’s a matter of being more consistent.

Proviso West has a few quality players, but simply lacks the depth and numbers to compete against the other WSC Silver schools.

Reactions: WBWarriorWatcher
I’ll go in the order I believe they should be ranked.

York is the defending WSC Silver champions, and are in a great position to repeat. In my opinion, York is perhaps the best coached program in the conference, and it shows in the growing size of their program. Their playoff win over Marist was the most impressive playoff win this conference has had in a long time.

Glenbard West will be tough, but this junior class will not be able to replace what graduated. They’ll make the playoffs, but likely a mid seed and be a 2nd round exit.

LT will be good, and a playoff team. They have a good QB, and will be an experienced team. However, last season their Varsity barely got by a not-very-good HC team, and their Sophs won after getting 5 TDs taken off the board by penalties. So - I’m not sold.

DGN will also likely make the playoffs, but will be heavy on Juniors. Lansu is good, but the game may be a little fast for the sophomore at the beginning of the season.

HC will also be a playoffs, bouncing back from a year plagued with injuries. Like DGN, HC will be relatively young on the offense, but unlike DGN, their youngsters have Varsity experience. Sophomore R Contreras started at QB vs York, PW, and GBN last year. Junior’s Salem and McGarry started every game on the OLine last year, and McInerny had two late season starts at receiver. Then there will be 2 third year Seniors at big roles, with M Ortiz in the OLine, C Contreras at Receiver.

OPRF is always a tough out, and may be the spoiler for someone at the end of the year. They lose a couple really good RBs to graduation, but somehow seem to reload each year. If they make the playoffs, it’ll be by the skin of their teeth. The 2 out of conference games will help, but outside of PW, I don’t see another conference win.

Proviso West will have a tough year. The conference is elevating, but PW is not. It’s going to be a huge struggle for the Panthers to get through the season.

I’ll go in the order I believe they should be ranked.

York is the defending WSC Silver champions, and are in a great position to repeat. In my opinion, York is perhaps the best coached program in the conference, and it shows in the growing size of their program. Their playoff win over Marist was the most impressive playoff win this conference has had in a long time.

Glenbard West will be tough, but this junior class will not be able to replace what graduated. They’ll make the playoffs, but likely a mid seed and be a 2nd round exit.

LT will be good, and a playoff team. They have a good QB, and will be an experienced team. However, last season their Varsity barely got by a not-very-good HC team, and their Sophs won after getting 5 TDs taken off the board by penalties. So - I’m not sold.

DGN will also likely make the playoffs, but will be heavy on Juniors. Lansu is good, but the game may be a little fast for the sophomore at the beginning of the season.

HC will also be a playoffs, bouncing back from a year plagued with injuries. Like DGN, HC will be relatively young on the offense, but unlike DGN, their youngsters have Varsity experience. Sophomore R Contreras started at QB vs York, PW, and GBN last year. Junior’s Salem and McGarry started every game on the OLine last year, and McInerny had two late season starts at receiver. Then there will be 2 third year Seniors at big roles, with M Ortiz in the OLine, C Contreras at Receiver.

OPRF is always a tough out, and may be the spoiler for someone at the end of the year. They lose a couple really good RBs to graduation, but somehow seem to reload each year. If they make the playoffs, it’ll be by the skin of their teeth. The 2 out of conference games will help, but outside of PW, I don’t see another conference win.

Proviso West will have a tough year. The conference is elevating, but PW is not. It’s going to be a huge struggle for the Panthers to get through the season.
I was under the impression that York returned a ton? They were very good last year and agree very well coached. I’m interested in seeing dgn and Lansu to see if he’s the real deal. He’s been hyped up for quite a few years now when he was sneaking into edgy’s camps in jr high.

OPRF is one of those programs that should be better than they are. They just seem to be 5-4, 6-3 with a good win or two each year. Remind me of Evanston.

Proviso Unfortunately may need to find a new home. They don’t have the players there to beat schools that have the players and resources these other schools have. When was the last time they were good? Booboo Thompson?

I was under the impression that York returned a ton? They were very good last year and agree very well coached. I’m interested in seeing dgn and Lansu to see if he’s the real deal. He’s been hyped up for quite a few years now when he was sneaking into edgy’s camps in jr high.

OPRF is one of those programs that should be better than they are. They just seem to be 5-4, 6-3 with a good win or two each year. Remind me of Evanston.

Proviso Unfortunately may need to find a new home. They don’t have the players there to beat schools that have the players and resources these other schools have. When was the last time they were good? Booboo Thompson?
PW made the playoffs 4 years in a row under Coach Famous Hulbert from 2009-2012. Boo Boo was late 90's...good reference though.

I can’t remember the last time OPRF was 6-3. Recently they’ve been a 4-5/5-4 team, and on the wrong side of the playoff bubble. I can’t put my finger on what the issue is, as they have the same resources as everyone else in conference

“LT will be good, and a playoff team. They have a good QB, and will be an experienced team. However, last season their Varsity barely got by a not-very-good HC team, and their Sophs won after getting 5 TDs taken off the board by penalties. So - I’m not sold.”

I want more info on the 5 TD’s taken off the board by penalties!!

York is setup well with many
Of course, any title talk for the WSC Silver always starts with Glenbard West. IMO, the Hitters are the favorite once again; I think Julius Ellens and Joey Pope have big years at running back.

I think LT will probably be GW’s main challenger. I know the Lions lost some key guys from last year, but coach Beutjer seems to finally have the program rolling again. I can also see Hinsdale Central bouncing back from a rare down year.

I’d expect both DGN and York to take some steps back. Both the Trojans and Dukes lost a lot to graduation.

OPRF has been in a rut lately, not having qualified for the state playoffs since 2018. But we all know the Huskies always have plenty of athletes; it’s a matter of being more consistent.

Proviso West has a few quality players, but simply lacks the depth and numbers to compete against the other WSC Silver schools.
GBW lost most of its OL and key OL transferred to Glenbard South. not sure how they will run crazy like they did last year. maybe do a lot of wildcat.

Lyons will be good talent on both sides.

York has key skilled players back on both sides of the ball and should contend

Reactions: Panthers1211
I want more info on the 5 TD’s taken off the board by penalties!!
There may be some hyperbole in my statement 😂. But having been at the Sophomore game (played on a Monday for some reason) HC’s defense was good, giving up 2 scores, as I recall. Their offense had at least 2 TDs taken off - one for a questionable OPI, and another called out of bounds when it was clearly in bounds. One of those games where - in my opinion - the better team did not win.

Either way, this rising junior class is not as talented as the graduating class from what I’ve seen.

LT's year to win the silver.
WSS
1.. LTHS
2. York
3. Glenbard West
4. Downers North
5. Hinsdale Central
6. Oak Park
7. Proviso West (In two years Proviso East and West will combine all sports)

York is setup well with many

GBW lost most of its OL and key OL transferred to Glenbard South. not sure how they will run crazy like they did last year. maybe do a lot of wildcat.

Lyons will be good talent on both sides.

York has key skilled players back on both sides of the ball and should contend
I thought Joey Pope just graduated. No?

WSS
1.. LTHS
2. York
3. Glenbard West
4. Downers North
5. Hinsdale Central
6. Oak Park
I’ve heard on here before about the merging of the Proviso’s if that happens what would the conference do? Love the new stadium at PE but seems like waste if they merge.

WSS
1.. LTHS
2. York
3. Glenbard West
4. Downers North
5. Hinsdale Central
6. Oak Park
Has that been decided or are you just speculating?

Agree with ya’ll, Glenbard East is the perfect fit both geographical and football wise, plus right next to both Willowbrook and Addison Trail HS.

RB has 32 sports and can compete with everyone in the gold, plus the are an original member of the WSC.

They also are close to all of the schools.

Willowbrook has had some state champ wrestlers since. At least 2: Congenie and Jessen. And usually has 2-3 state qualifiers that place here and there. It’s a solid program.

I’ve heard nothing of a Proviso merge, but it makes sense. If that were to happen I’d hope for the conference to look to expand even bigger (DVC maybe) and realign with 3 divisions drawn up more along enrollment sizes.

Some of the schools in the conference have quite a discrepancy in actual “in building” enrollment and the total enrollment that includes out-placed students. With enrollments that range from the largest (Morton at +-8000) to 1300 things could be sorted better with a few more schools invited in.

2023 Silver projection:
1.LT
2.York
3.GW
4.DGN
5.HC
6.OPRF
7.PW

2023 Gold projection:
1. WB - Can Palecki reach this unrealized potential that some see? Young team that will be ready for the giants at playoff time. Will be an interesting watch.
2. DGS - Word is they just poached our AD. What else are they looking for?
3. HS - looks to be a bounce back year
4. Leyden - some size here, what do they do with it?
5. Morton - when will this program rise?
6. Proviso East
7. Addison Trail - the new conference schedule might help them. Might not.

Reactions: Alexander32
Willowbrook has had some state champ wrestlers since. At least 2: Congenie and Jessen. And usually has 2-3 state qualifiers that place here and there. It’s a solid program.

I’ve heard nothing of a Proviso merge, but it makes sense. If that were to happen I’d hope for the conference to look to expand even bigger (DVC maybe) and realign with 3 divisions drawn up more along enrollment sizes.

Some of the schools in the conference have quite a discrepancy in actual “in building” enrollment and the total enrollment that includes out-placed students. With enrollments that range from the largest (Morton at +-8000) to 1300 things could be sorted better with a few more schools invited in.

2023 Silver projection:
1.LT
2.York
3.GW
4.DGN
5.HC
6.OPRF
7.PW

2023 Gold projection:
1. WB - Can Palecki reach this unrealized potential that some see? Young team that will be ready for the giants at playoff time. Will be an interesting watch.
2. DGS - Word is they just poached our AD. What else are they looking for?
3. HS - looks to be a bounce back year
4. Leyden - some size here, what do they do with it?
5. Morton - when will this program rise?
6. Proviso East
7. Addison Trail - the new conference schedule might help them. Might not.
Matt Rowland too. Set the record for fastest pin in 3A Finals match in 22 seconds.

For those of you talking about it- Proviso has consolidating its football programs in its next board meeting agenda on 8/8. No real information given in the board book.

Reactions: RD_Watcher
Why would they have the meeting in August then. I think the numbers are so bad that they have to. I think otherwise this would be a spring board meeting topic.

Wondering if Proviso indeed becomes just one football program, would that open up an opportunity for Riverside-Brookfield to rejoin the WSC? IMO, that's a much better fit geographically than the Upstate Eight, where the Bulldogs are scheduled to go next year.

Then again, if Proviso is merging for football only, the WSC would be at an odd number in terms of numbers with 15 should they invite RB.

Reactions: RD_Watcher
Wondering if Proviso indeed becomes just one football program, would that open up an opportunity for Riverside-Brookfield to rejoin the WSC? IMO, that's a much better fit geographically than the Upstate Eight, where the Bulldogs are scheduled to go next year.

Then again, if Proviso is merging for football only, the WSC would be at an odd number in terms of numbers with 15 should they invite RB.
R-B will basically be in an eastern division of the U8, with their old suburban prairie mates +2 (Fenton, Ridgewood, Elmwood Pk, Glenbard South, West Chicago, Glenbard East). Wego is a bit of an outlier but the mileages are comp to either Gold or Silver.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT