ADVERTISEMENT

Conant at Lincoln-Way East

WIU78

Dec 27, 2006
Saw this pairing and could reflect on where the LWE programs first year as an all junior program made the playoffs. Got DESTROYED in Hoffman Estates. Coach Zvonar has made the playoffs every year since thankfully to a great community suppport system. Looking at the records for Conant I don’t see any mention of injuries to reflect a late season swoon? 2001 was a long time ago and I believe Lincoln-Way East has improved some since that first and only meeting. Anyone have the Conant story this season? Scouting reports and trends would be appreciated. Just hope the Griffins can compete. ( CrossBones reference).

Conant played an extremely soft schedule for their 0-4 start. Walked into the Fremd game with some arrogance. That mixed with some questionable play calls gave Fremd their only win of the season. That started the steep decline before they figured it out just enough in week 9 to get the pivotal 5th win. If LWE loses this game I would be absolutely shocked.

Conant played an extremely soft schedule for their 0-4 start. Walked into the Fremd game with some arrogance. That mixed with some questionable play calls gave Fremd their only win of the season. That started the steep decline before they figured it out just enough in week 9 to get the pivotal 5th win. If LWE loses this game I would be absolutely shocked.

Just a typo, but they started 4-0 and then lost 4 straight before winning Friday night to qualify. The did play a super soft schedule the first four games. Week 5 they played their huge rivalry game against Hoffman Estates and lost 45-44 on a field goal on an untimed down due to defensive penalty at the end.

Next week they went up against Palatine and lost 42-10. That's the game that really shook their confidence. Then they did lose to a winless Fremd team 21-20 and dropped a 14-6 game to Barrington before beating Schaumburg handily. So except for a 32 point loss to Palatine their losses were close games.

They run a slashing veer offense Ala Cary Grove, only throwing when they need to. QB isn't the greatest passer. We played Glenbrook South who ran the same thing but has a good throwing QB and it makes all the difference. Lineman not especially big, but they do run block very well. HC has a state championship on his resume from Lake Zurich, but hasn't gotten Conant past the first round yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: PowerI66
HC ran mostly Wing-T @ LZ, with good success.
A little shotgun here and there (pistol was the preferred scheme).
But it ALWAYS seemed he had good athletes in the backfield that also ran track. Tons of speed - and toughness.

Stortz’s (HC @ Conant - previous HC @ LZ) baby, however, was his team’s defense.
He really had it rolling on the defensive side @ LZ. Always great LB play.

Just a typo, but they started 4-0 and then lost 4 straight before winning Friday night to qualify. The did play a super soft schedule the first four games. Week 5 they played their huge rivalry game against Hoffman Estates and lost 45-44 on a field goal on an untimed down due to defensive penalty at the end.

Next week they went up against Palatine and lost 42-10. That's the game that really shook their confidence. Then they did lose to a winless Fremd team 21-20 and dropped a 14-6 game to Barrington before beating Schaumburg handily. So except for a 32 point loss to Palatine their losses were close games.

They running a slashing veer offense Ala Cary Grove, only throwing when they need to. QB isn't the greatest passer. We played Glenbrook South who ran the same thing but has a good throwing QB and it makes all the difference. Lineman not especially big, but they do run block very well. HC has a state championship on his resume from Lake Zurich, but hasn't gotten Conant past the first round yet.
Correct. 4-0, not 0-4

Agree. I’m thinking running clock after the first half. Only way it stays close is if Conant can get a few first downs with their triple option offense and keep the clock running.

Reactions: Panthers1211
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT