ADVERTISEMENT

Coal City 0 R. Burton 30 FINAL

RB is very good. CC picked the worst time to play their worst but RB is dominating every aspects of the game.

Is CC having an off night or is RB that much better? Certainly didn't see this coming.

Coal City did today what Wilmington did when they played...RB went on the scoring drive, stalled, kicked fg. 3-0 Rockets.

Coalers went on the march, got first & goal, 2nd down td called back for holding...stalled, solidly booted fg attempt missed.

Game basically over at that point...rest of game was a lot of Coaler play that just wasn't right...timing just off, a slip here & there...And then they basically abandoned what got them there when they got behind, Jezik power running setting up play action...very different look with Jezik running draw plays when the Coalers went full-time shotgun...

One thing I never thought I would see...late 3rd quarter, RB started just power running & eating clock...and just slamming the ball down the Coalers throats for first downs...

I heard so much about Rittenhouse with St. Francis, yet RB's QB looked so much better today...even if it was because his receivers kept catching the ball...

Great season Coalers...good luck next week RB...

Coal City did today what Wilmington did when they played...RB went on the scoring drive, stalled, kicked fg. 3-0 Rockets.

Coalers went on the march, got first & goal, 2nd down td called back for holding...stalled, solidly booted fg attempt missed.

Game basically over at that point...rest of game was a lot of Coaler play that just wasn't right...timing just off, a slip here & there...And then they basically abandoned what got them there when they got behind, Jezik power running setting up play action...very different look with Jezik running draw plays when the Coalers went full-time shotgun...

One thing I never thought I would see...late 3rd quarter, RB started just power running & eating clock...and just slamming the ball down the Coalers throats for first downs...

I heard so much about Rittenhouse with St. Francis, yet RB's QB looked so much better today...even if it was because his receivers kept catching the ball...

I knew any team that could beat IC was very good, and RB is very good. Might be the biggest team I've seen all year, regardless of class. Their lines are absolutely huge. They greatly outsized CC. Throw in the muddy track and the bigger team has that much more of an advantage. They pretty much shut down Jezik, who seemed to have trouble making cuts on the muddy playing surface. RB is just very impressive. The big TE made numerous plays. They had a number of quality RB's and mixed it up very well. And the QB made all the necessary throws. Their defense was also very impressive. Good luck to Murphysboro against these guys in the championship.

Reactions: Gene K.
Watched R-B last week and thought they would give CC some problems but I never expected this kind of score. Tough game, sometimes you just run into a buzz saw. Congrats to CC and looking forward to watching R-B on Friday night.

You beat me to it! Is this his first state championship game? I really didn’t follow him after he left McHenry but no he was quite successful.
After he left McHenry he went to Glenbrook South and had them in post season ten of the twelve seasons he was there..In the last four seasons since he left...they've won 12 games and made the playoffs once at 5-4..and lost..There are just some coaches out there that just win wherever the go...I think the Rockets should roll over Murphysboro...but then you never know...but congrats to Coach Noll and the Rockets. I remember when they won the 2A title in '92 knocking off Central A & M...

Agree, RB was the better team. I just think CC would have fared better with a steady dose of Jezik and playing smash mouth.

Yeah in an ideal scenario Jezik gets 4 ypc and grind it out. Not sure that was there today. CC had to be balanced to move the ball, but R-B was just too good.

Reactions: McEvergreen
I never thought I would say this but I wished we played IC up there today lol. CC had no answer for RB. They are a very good team, I think they could win 5A. Hats of Rockets. Go win 4A

I never thought I would say this but I wished we played IC up there today lol. CC had no answer for RB. They are a very good team, I think they could win 5A. Hats of Rockets. Go win 4A
Great season for CC. Ran into a buzz saw today. That #35 was amazing. Not very big but wow. Thanks to @Coalertown44 for his hospitality again. He’s had me at his house twice and made my son feel so welcome that he likes it more than me. Great team and great year

The SF Qb also had a cast on his non throwing hand and hadn't played for a few weeks.

Great season for CC. Ran into a buzz saw today. That #35 was amazing. Not very big but wow. Thanks to @Coalertown44 for his hospitality again. He’s had me at his house twice and made my son feel so welcome that he likes it more than me. Great team and great year
Absolutely got beat by a better team today. You and Zach are great people and are always more than welcome in the garage

Reactions: USD24
RB has never won 4A and winning 5A is not possible for them. Rochester, Rita and several others RB could not beat. RB is a good 4A team. CC may not have won 3A.

RB has never won 4A and winning 5A is not possible for them. Rochester, Rita and several others RB could not beat. RB is a good 4A team. CC may not have won 3A.
I guess it’s a fluke that CC made the semi finals? CC got beat by a better team yesterday. CC also played their worst game of the season. This was a very talented and fun team to watch. Richmond Burton up front is very physical. They had a great game plan and came off the bus ready to go.

I guess it’s a fluke that CC made the semi finals? CC got beat by a better team yesterday. CC also played their worst game of the season. This was a very talented and fun team to watch. Richmond Burton up front is very physical. They had a great game plan and came off the bus ready to go.

Coalers are not a fluke this year. You don't have a dominant season like they had for it to be a fluke, coming off a season where you were disappointed losing to the same RB team in the quarters.

The danger out there, however, may be that ICE becomes the 3A/4A equivalent of the 2A/3A Sangamon Valley (Paxton, Seneca) or 2A/3A Prairieland Blue (Farmington, Elmwood-Brimfield) where the majority of the conference is a class smaller. With 5 of the 8 ICE schools being 3A, even though they may be a quality 3A, people are going to start wondering about strength of schedule. Scheduling Morris will help. But going ahead this will be the question for Manteno & CC...are they the big boys in a tiny conference? Who would have thought this a few years ago when Herscher, Peotone & RC were in the upper 600 enrollments?

Do I foresee expansion of ICE if districts don't happen? I don't know. But CC & Manteno definitely need to have good non-conference schedules...

Hats off to RB as they were the best team on the field. Talking about the field, it looked on video as it was pretty torn up with not to good of footing. Did that affect CC's running game?

Hats off to RB as they were the best team on the field. Talking about the field, it looked on video as it was pretty torn up with not to good of footing. Did that affect CC's running game?
No not really but Richmond-Burtons defense did lol. They just flat out fly to the ball

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT