ADVERTISEMENT

Class 8a Projected Bracket

LA will not have an easy 1st round matchup if they actually have to play Belleville east in the 1st round that team has a ton of hidden talent and is not a true 5-4 team and wouldn’t shock me if they spoil a high seed playoff run early
I sort of agree here. Their def is the strength of that team, which isnt shocking knowing who their coach is. They also have two really good d lineman that have of late been playing both ways. Vinson at qb adds a completely different element to their off. East has been tested against some top 8a teams. If the east team that shows up vs is the one that took eville to 2-ot, it could be alot closer than ppl think. But its also possible the team that lost to ofallon shows up too

I sort of agree here. Their def is the strength of that team, which isnt shocking knowing who their coach is. They also have two really good d lineman that have of late been playing both ways. Vinson at qb adds a completely different element to their off. East has been tested against some top 8a teams. If the east team that shows up vs is the one that took eville to 2-ot, it could be alot closer than ppl think. But its also possible the team that lost to ofallon shows up too
They have 4 wins. One was against a 7-1 collinsville. The other 3 are against teams that are 1-7, 1-7 and 0-8. They will get win 5 against another 1-7 team. Also not sure they have really been tested by some of the top 8A teams but we will see the first week of the playoffs. No way they compete with LA.

Okay
They have not faced a team like Loyola. It isn’t the same so stop comparing eville or any other 8A teams they played so far. I guarantee you it won’t be the same competition. It’s not the same period. Do they have a shot? Yes! But it’s a long shot at best, most likely Loyola by 30 points. IMHO. I will say it again this is my opinion. We shall see if it even gets to this game. 😊
All I ask is
If I am wrong call me out.
If I am right tell everyone! 👍

Reactions: chiliconcarne
They have 4 wins. One was against a 7-1 collinsville. The other 3 are against teams that are 1-7, 1-7 and 0-8. They will get win 5 against another 1-7 team. Also not sure they have really been tested by some of the top 8A teams but we will see the first week of the playoffs. No way they compete with LA.
They have played two top 10 8a schools in ofallon and eville. One they lost by 36, the other by 1 in double overtime. Im not predicting it will be a game that comes down to the wire, but if they play well, they can certianly avoid a running clock.

Okay
They have not faced a team like Loyola. It isn’t the same so stop comparing eville or any other 8A teams they played so far. I guarantee you it won’t be the same competition. It’s not the same period. Do they have a shot? Yes! But it’s a long shot at best, most likely Loyola by 30 points. IMHO. I will say it again this is my opinion. We shall see if it even gets to this game. 😊
All I ask is
I'm not predicting a close game. We were talking about a running clock

They have played two top 10 8a schools in ofallon and eville. One they lost by 36, the other by 1 in double overtime. Im not predicting it will be a game that comes down to the wire, but if they play well, they can certianly avoid a running clock.
Nope!
You are absolutely delusional. IMO
Did you not watch any 8A? Is it just me or has anyone been paying attention? I have been to 3-4 &5A games and I am sorry but it isn’t the level of play of 7A or 8A period end of discussion. Anyone willing say the truth will admit it. Yes you may in some cases with the best teams in those classes possibly be able to stay close for a half but in the 2nd half it’s a blood bath 99% of the time. Stop it already. Loyola would absolutely demolish them.
Running clock!

Nope!
Did you not watch any 8A? Is it just me or has anyone been paying attention? I have been to 3-4 &5A games and I am sorry but it isn’t the level of play of 7A or 8A period end of discussion. Anyone willing say the truth will admit it. Yes you may in some cases with the best teams in those classes possibly be able to stay close for a half but in the 2nd half it’s a blood bath 99% of the time. Stop it already. Loyola would absolutely demolish them.
Running clock!
What are you talking about? I haven't said anything about 3-5a teams.

Nope!
Running clock!
You know better, @corey90. There is a reason they play the game. Last year everyone thought C-G was gonna get running clocked by All Gas. Didn’t happen. No one saw Lockport at this time last year as the champion. That’s why they play the game. To dismiss a playoff team because of perception is a slippery slope. Not saying Belleville can hang but to myopically say no chance is just that….myopic.

Reactions: jha618
You know better, @corey90. There is a reason they play the game. Last year everyone thought C-G was gonna get running clocked by All Gas. Didn’t happen. No one saw Lockport at this time last year as the champion. That’s why they play the game. To dismiss a playoff team because of perception is a slippery slope. Not saying Belleville can hang but to myopically say no chance is just that….myopic.

Respectfully, I’m with Corey on this one. LWE, MC and Loyola play insane schedules as well. The speed is different and you can’t adjust to that at halftime.

York is a very good team this year (Go Dukes), but I have a feeling their SOS will expose the after the 1st round.

It’s a different game when you play it week on and week out. I think the scariest 20-something seed is Marist btw…look at their schedule.

Who you play makes a massive difference. Minooka last year is a great example. Lockport and CG played in great conferences last year. Their competition made them even more successful.

SOS is everything…and yes, you have to have talent and good coaching as a base.

Respectfully, I’m with Corey on this one. LWE, MC and Loyola play insane schedules as well. The speed is different and you can’t adjust to that at halftime.

York is a very good team this year (Go Dukes), but I have a feeling their SOS will expose the after the 1st round.

It’s a different game when you play it week on and week out. I think the scariest 20-something seed is Marist btw…look at their schedule.

Who you play makes a massive difference. Minooka last year is a great example. Lockport and CG played in great conferences last year. Their competition made them even more successful.

SOS is everything…and yes, you have to have talent and good coaching as a base.
I agree on the premise. But to disregard anyone is a fools errand this time of year. Loyola and Beast are far and away the best and most complete teams. Those teams don’t always win is my point.

Okay
All I ask is
EastSide smacked them silly.

Piggybacking off @olderbytheminute post in the other thread… Right now it looks like the break even is 5 teams with a 4-5 record getting in based on no upsets. 8A would have 30 teams with 5 wins (Conant, Belle E, Rich Twp winning week 9) based on IHSA current rankings (GBE and Andrew in 7A).

Based on current playoff points, the only 8A 4-5 teams with enough playoff pts would be OPRF and Barrington (5th/last 4-5 to get in) per olderbytheminute’s post in other thread which I see as well, making 32 teams and keeping Glenbard East and Andrew in 7A.

Last edited:
I am just giving my opinion. Enough said. It’s my opinion and I am sure if others are truthful they will speak up.

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
I am just giving my opinion. Enough said. It’s my opinion and I am sure if others are truthful they will speak up.
I respect that 100%. I’d take LWE or LA if asked to give a final matchup or the two best teams. But we all know how these things end up.

I respect that 100%. I’d take LWE or LA if asked to give a final matchup or the two best teams. But we all know how these things end up.
This I will also agree with. I am not saying any of this is a sure thing. It HS football. All we have to go by at this point are their records, competition they played, what we have seen this year, coaches record of success and past year’s record of success. That’s it now let’s see what happens and who is left standing. 👍

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
This I will also agree with. I am not saying any of this is a sure thing. It HS football. All we have to go by at this point are their records, competition they played, what we have seen this year, coaches record of success and past year’s record of success. That’s it now let’s see what happens and who is left standing. 👍
And we are all excited to see what happens. That’s the best part. Good luck to the Griffins. They certainly look nasty.

Reactions: corey90
My take on this which may or may not happen because games still has to be played. BE is a different team since the played O’Town and Eastside. Do I think it will be a running clock yes. But then again who knows this is high school football injuries or a big let down could happen either way. But right now I think a running clock I could be wrong and hopefully I am but I have to go with the 618.

Last edited:
Reactions: jha618
They are both ranked in the top 10 in the latest 8a poll
That poll is very questionable. Pollsters tend to look only at win/loss record. I can’t see either of those teams making the quarterfinals. Neither would finish in the top 3 in the 8A conferences like CCL, DVC, WSC, SWSB

That poll is very questionable. Pollsters tend to look only at win/loss record. I can’t see either of those teams making the quarterfinals. Neither would finish in the top 3 in the 8A conferences like CCL, DVC, WSC, SWSB
I'm not trying to get in to a debate about where either of them would finish outside the swc. They are both ranked in the 8a polls. Thats what i based my comment on

I am not sure either of those is a top 10 team in 8A. O’Fallon probably top 15. EVille likely 20-25.
I didn't think they were top ten a few weeks back, but then I actually watched a few of their games. Both were better than expected, especially O'Fallon. O'Fallon is huge along the line (both sides) and they have plenty of speed and skill. Very good QB and a game breaker WR in Jalen Smith (6' 3 190). They are capable of beating all but five teams in 8a. I wouldn't want to play them.

If you look at all the 4-4 teams in 8A a number of them likely fall this week which could mean a few fringe enrollments in 7A move up - Rice, Glenbard East, DG North Andrew Lincoln Park look to all be likely candidates.

Of the 8 4-4 teams, on paper I only see 3 that would be favored to win. If all three win - Rich Twp, Conant, Belleville East, that would leave one open spot - potentially a 4-5 team?

Should be a fun week 9!

Reactions: Panthers1211
If you look at all the 4-4 teams in 8A a number of them likely fall this week which could mean a few fringe enrollments in 7A move up - Rice, Glenbard East, DG North Andrew Lincoln Park look to all be likely candidates.

Of the 8 4-4 teams, on paper I only see 3 that would be favored to win. If all three win - Rich Twp, Conant, Belleville East, that would leave one open spot - potentially a 4-5 team?

Should be a fun week 9!
I did the same thing in the Brother Rice thread and agree with you.

Should be a fun week 9!

Right now if all better records beat worse records in week 9, my count and what I also interpreted from olderbytheminutes #s is that the over/under right now is FIVE 4-5 teams that will get in, with Glenbard East largest school in 7A… Plainfield North smallest in 8A.

8A doesn’t look like it will get 32 5-win teams as mentioned here by others (30 5-win teams is current estimate), and theoretically 7A and 6A looks to have have enough 5-4 teams to cover 8A…

BUT where it gets fun is that 1A-5A combined don’t appear to have enough 5 win teams so, those 7A schools that slid up to 8A, now get bumped down - specially by OPRF and Barrington based on current playoff points (and in turn bumping Andrew and Glenbard East back to 7A). Barrington just barely hits the cutoff though.

This is football, so well see what upsets happen and how many to shake up the above “bogey” scenario. All it takes is 1 net upset and Barrington won’t make playoffs as a 4-5, and Glenbard East would move to 8A as the smallest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT