ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago Christian

Dr.Greg

May 29, 2001
Can anyone give me any info on Chicago Christian. Our school ( Rockford Christian) plays them week two.

Thanks

Can anyone give me any info on Chicago Christian. Our school ( Rockford Christian) plays them week two.

Thanks
#2 Johnathon Griffin is a beast on both sides of the ball, their offense is a heavy dose of him and using him in order to disguise plays. I know from experience.

As nice as the area is out there I'm shocked CC hasn't had some more success in football.They have a similar fate as another South Suburban school but CC made the playoffs more.

They were a solid small school program about 10-15 years ago. Not sure what happened exactly. Same with Walther Lutheran. They’ve both fallen on hard times.

Chgo. Christian had a 9-0 team earlier this millennium just before the head coach, Mark Vander Kooi, went over to the LW district where he is now AD at East. The Knights beat a South Suburban Blue team that year in a non-con. Their baseball team in 2017 took 3rd place in the 2A tournament.

Many years they lost in round 1 by very slim margins or got beat in round 2 in close games.They beat Evergreen Park or played them close back in 95 & 96.They also almost beat St.Laurence 1 year which looking at the histories of the 2 schools you never would have believed it.They beat Bremen a playoff team twice their sizes well as Tinley Park badly twice.They beat Eisenhower badly & almost beat them the year after.All very impressive for The Knights!!! 2008 was their last great year

When Mark left, the program took a a big hit. He has a great football mind.

Reactions: mullin17
They had a great QB that broke some NCAA records at Ferris State, he had a quick cup of coffee with the Jets. Broke camp with them last year as a TE but was later released I believe

Chgo. Christian had a 9-0 team earlier this millennium just before the head coach, Mark Vander Kooi, went over to the LW district where he is now AD at East. The Knights beat a South Suburban Blue team that year in a non-con. Their baseball team in 2017 took 3rd place in the 2A tournament.
Upon closer checking (no longer relying solely on my memory), the CC team I had in mind was 8-1 regular season (loss to 13-1 Don Beebe's Aurora Christian who finished 2nd in 3A to Bloomington CC and playoff loss to B Mac in Round 1).

Last edited:
Upon closer checking (no longer relying solely on my memory), the CC team I had in mind was 8-1 regular season (loss to 13-1 Don Beebe's Aurora Christian who finished 2nd in 3A to Bloomington CC and playoff loss to B Mac in Round 1). Joe Hamstra was actually CC Head Coach at the time, with Vander Kooi as OC?
Hamstra’s kid I assume? Was a heck of a RB at CC in late 90’s-2000.

The Knights 2005-2008 teams were the best era in CCHS history under Head Coach Mark Vander Kooi.
Led by All-State Quarterback Alex Haan the Knights team beat numerous local and larger programs. As a side note, the 2007 coaching staff also included current NFL Quarterback Coach Jeff Christensen. It was a golden era at CCHS Football. As the years passed, as with many private schools, declining enrollment has played a key roll in fielding a competitive team. Head Coach Nick Cook is playing a key roll in getting the CCHS Knights Football Program back on track. Numbers are up and the excitement is increasing. GO KNIGHTS! Hey Edgy!

Upon closer checking (no longer relying solely on my memory), the CC team I had in mind was 8-1 regular season (loss to 13-1 Don Beebe's Aurora Christian who finished 2nd in 3A to Bloomington CC and playoff loss to B Mac in Round 1). Joe Hamstra was actually CC Head Coach at the time, with Vander Kooi as OC?

I know they flirted with the idea of coming to the Catholic League

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT