ADVERTISEMENT

CCL/ESCC Weekly Power Rankings (Week 3)

ESCC fan

Nov 15, 2003
Because I miss my weekly ESCC Predictions thread, I thought I'd start a new weekly "power rankings" thread that really is meant to serve as a place to discuss the previous week's results. Note these rankings are likely way off as I am not up on things nearly as much as many others on this board. Just my own thoughts.

1. Loyola (3-0): Have yet to face a real challenge. Will learn a lot this week.
2. Mount Carmel (3-0): Their Week 1 win lost a bit of its shine after LA blew Rita out. But this is still a very dangerous team.
3. Brother Rice (3-0): Tough to peg the Crusaders after two blowouts and a forfeit. Will see what they can do this week against the Ramblers.
4. Marist (3-0): Rounding out the Blue comes Marist. They've been fine. Only knock is that they *only* beat Naz by two TDs. Big test this week.
*** Pretty wild gap between the Blue and Green. Blue teams beat the Green by a combined score of 162-47 this past week***
5. Rita (1-2): Things become tough here. Despite the record, I think Rita (even without KB) is the best team outside the Blue. They should be able to win out (especially if they get KB back).
6. JCA (3-0): The old Hilltoppers are back. What a big showdown this week against Providence.
7. Providence (2-1): Impressive win against star-studded Fenwick. Can they challenge for an Orange title?
8. Fenwick (2-1)
9. Ignatius (3-0): I am a believer in Iggy's defense. I think this team can go 8-1 this season riding its staunch defense.
10. Marmion (3-0): The Cadets have a couple really nice wins against Bishop Mac and Montini. They could be a dark horse.
11. Naz (0-3): Not the Naz of prior years. Pivotal game this week vs 0-3 ND.
12. Montini (2-1)
13. St. Patrick (2-1): Shamrocks with a nice win over MCC.
14. Carmel (2-1): After a really nice win vs Lake Forest, the Corsairs struggle against Mighty Leo. How does that happen?
15. ND (0-3): Holding out hope the Dons can turn the ship around. Needs to start this week against the Roadrunners.
16. St. Laurence (1-2)
17. Benet (0-3)
18. Marian Central Catholic (1-2)
19. De La Salle (2-1)
20. St. Viator (1-2)
21. Marian Catholic (2-1)
22. Leo (1-2)
23. DePaul (2-1)

Last edited:
I hear what your saying about the SR win for the Caravan losing a bit of its shine, I thought the same initially but take into consideration it was @ Rita home field, huge crowd, historic rivalry game being renewed after 4 years, 18 players making their first start...still a solid victory factoring in all that.

Reactions: Gene K.
A penny for my thoughts so here’s my two cents with a CCL/ESCC top 10...

1) Loyola
2) Mount Carmel
3) Marist
4) Joliet Catholic
5) Brother Rice
6) St Rita
7) Providence
8) St Ignatius
9) Fenwick
10) Marmion

Reactions: ESCC fan
I hear what your saying about the SR win for the Caravan losing a bit of its shine, I thought the same initially but take into consideration it was @ Rita home field, huge crowd, historic rivalry game being renewed after 4 years, 18 players making their first start...still a solid victory factoring in all that.
Maybe its semantics with the "returning starters" but didn't these kids listed below start in the spring? Either way, youth is being served on this MC team and they have some very talented juniors and sophomores making great contributions (OL, Dupree, Novickas, etc.)

Tomaszewki
Boersma
Lewis
Whaley
Arrington
Harris
Bossie
De Rosa

And then Thompson - I know he's on the IL so doesn't count as a returning starter right now.

My 2 cents (its all i have)

1. Loyola: Too big. Too strong. Too fast. Too mean.
2. Mount Carmel: While I think the Caravan are great, the gap between Loyola and the rest of the ESCC/CCL is quite wide
3. Marist: A better body of work than their rival Rice.
4. Brother Rice: Here's their chance to show what they are. Even in a loss, they can answer a lot of questions.
5. Joliet Catholic: The Hilltopper machine is HUMMING.
6. Saint Rita: The Ponies will not lose a game for at least the next 8 weeks
7. Providence: The Celtics with a GREAT win over Fenwick that perhaps saved their season. They will be the most dangerous 5-4 team going into the playoffs.
8. Fenwick: Fenwick's luster has lost a little of its shine after last week, but the Friars have the pieces for a deep November run.
9. Saint Ignatius: For a non football school, they sure play a style that is a problem for opposing teams.
10. Marmion: Big test against Ignatius this week.

There is a big drop off after the top 10 teams. I'm not going to rank them but I will put my thoughts on each program:

Marian Central: Some very sound individual talent, but absolutely no program depth.
Carmel: Will the real CoM please stand up? This week will tell us a lot
Leo: How did they almost beat Carmel at Carmel?
Marian Catholic: I don't see a potential win in their next 6 games
Nazareth: A must win this week against ND week for any playoff hopes
Notre Dame: A must win this week against Naz for any playoff hopes
DePaul: It was a fun first 2 weeks. At best, 1 more win is attainable
Benet: They still have a winding path to the playoffs, but they haven't shown much so far.
Saint Laurence: Brutal schedule ahead. Start prepping for the Prep Bowl
Montini: How the mighty have fallen. I don't know how they get to 5 wins
Saint Patrick: The Shamrocks have a path to 5, but they have no margin for error
De La Salle: The poor Meteors are always stuck in that 3-4 win range.
Saint Viator: The path to 5 looks bleak in that they are going to have to beat an ND or an Ignatius while going undefeated in the Purple.

Reactions: ESCC fan
All.... Off topic. Did the Hurricanes ever get a week four game? Jacksonville out of the CS8 has opened up because of covid protocol with their game at Lanphier. Road trip! Ratsy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT