ADVERTISEMENT

Cary Grove vs Crete - who you got? If CG wins - in convo for best team in state?

Voodoo Tatum 21

Gold Member
May 18, 2016
ok.

We have two threads really heating up. The CG guys are like that hall monitor nobody wants to see walking down the dorm room when your up to no good. Therefore we need to get back to some football.

CAry Grove is undefeated. They have only had a couple of tough games in the playoffs with two very very good teams in Phillips and Niles Notre Dame and the rest (including regular season) they have manhandled (PR is a rivalry which they won and we throw those games out anyways)

Crete - I don’t know much about but I’m guessing will be an underdog but we have seen what happens sometimes with underdog teams that are clicking and healthy and the right time (yes you Loyola).

I’ve got CG by two TDs. You ya got?

On a second “what if” question. If CG were to win and go 14-0, where do you rank them? I can make a case for right at the top with BR (if BR wins) or I can also make a case for outside of the top 5 even if they finish 14-0. Where do you rank them and why assuming they win?

Last edited:
3 or 4, definitely not at the top. If BR wins they are assured top billing, Naz 2 if they win. Naz has to be at the top if they win and BR loses, with LA 2.

3 or 4, definitely not at the top. If BR wins they are assured top billing, Naz 2 if they win. Naz has to be at the top if they win and BR loses, with LA 2.

Agree a BR win would put them at my #1 but Naz did lose to Marist. I know everyone hates the transitive but with both of Marists losses coming to BR - how can Marist be below Naz?

Cary Grove will have beat NC by two TDs (granted the NC D had the consistency of a wet sponge this year) and NC was neck and neck with Marist 35-32. Also beat a top flight Phillips team And Niles Notre Dame.

If everyone holds serve / I think I would have it
BR
CG
Tie - Marist/Naz
Loyola
LWE.

Truth be told. I think LWE in a three game series - beats CG, Naz, Marist 2 out of 3 times and maybe 3 out of 3. Loyola - well we saw what can happen in a one game take all format!

Now where do you put Montini? Only loss is to BR and Montini beat Loyola!! I have a hard time putting them above LWE though. Swap Loyola?

Agree a BR win would put them at my #1 but Naz did lose to Marist. I know everyone hates the transitive but with both of Marists losses coming to BR - how can Marist be below Naz?

Cary Grove will have beat NC by two TDs (granted the NC D had the consistency of a wet sponge this year) and NC was neck and neck with Marist 35-32. Also beat a top flight Phillips team And Niles Notre Dame.

BR
CG
Tie - Marist/Naz
Loyola
LWE.

Truth be told. I think LWE in a three game series - beats CG, Naz, Marist 2 out of 3 times and maybe 3 out of 3. Loyola - well we saw what can happen in a one game take all format!

Now where do you put Montini? Only loss is to BR and Montini beat Loyola!! I have a hard time putting them above LWE though. Swap Loyola?

I don't put MCHS in the top 5. Maybe 6 or 7? I could see 8 or 9 too, even with a win.

Reactions: Gene K.
I don't put MCHS in the top 5. Maybe 6 or 7? I could see 8 or 9 too, even with a win.

Yeah I was thinking 6 or 7 behind LWE. I don’t like it when a 13-1 Montini (assuming a win this week) is ranked below a team they beat (Loyola) But sometimes it’s ok... Loyola really clicking on all cylinders these past 3-4 games in their playoff run and I think they could beat anybody right now - they en fuego right now.

BR
CG
Tie - Marist/Naz
Loyola
LWE.

Agree with everything you posted here.

After watching Marist 2x and Montini vs rice —Marist by 10+ over montini.
Marist has a legit run pass threat QB. In the game I watched montini pass game was very poor (granted brother rices defense is nasty) and Marist QB is a legit dual threat. Also Marist Dline is excellent. They were all over NAZ / JJ and gave rice fits this past weekend.

The montini over Loyola is a definite shocker with how Loyola is currently playing.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
Agree with everything you posted here.

After watching Marist 2x and Montini vs rice —Marist by 10+ over montini.
Marist has a legit run pass threat QB. In the game I watched montini pass game was very poor (granted brother rices defense is nasty) and Marist QB is a legit dual threat. Also Marist Dline is excellent. They were all over NAZ / JJ and gave rice fits this past weekend.

The montini over Loyola is a definite shocker with how Loyola is currently playing.

If you only saw the BR-MCHS game, it's not a good representation of my Broncos. BR wins that game 10 out of 10 times, really, but they were just shellshocked early and not able to recover.

CG wins this Saturday. I’m staying out of the rankings discussion. That LA over LWE caused a massive destruction of my left brain and my whole logic and reasoning ability is still broken.

What happens if Bones gets his wish and....

* Loyola beats BR
* Northstars upset Naz
* Crete beats CG
* JCA topples Montini.

What shitpile of a season end statewide rankings do we have then? It would just be suckola.

If LA wins, are they #1?

I'm so confused too...

A 3 loss team #1 overall in the state? I can’t get my mind around that. Total suckola.

When the 3 loss MS team that took the 8A title in 2016 did they end up number one? I’m pretty sure they did not. I think the undefeated ESL team was ahead of them and maybe Prarie Ridge as well?

@Voodoo Tatum 21,

What do you do if Naz hangs the running clock Saturday evening in Memorial stadium?

A 3 loss team #1 overall in the state? I can’t get my mind around that. Total suckola.

When the 3 loss MS team that took the 8A title in 2016 did they end up number one? I’m pretty sure they did not. I think the undefeated ESL team was ahead of them and maybe Prarie Ridge as well?

@Voodoo Tatum 21,

What do you do if Naz hangs the running clock Saturday evening in Memorial stadium?

Great question. Is thst assuming BR holds serve and wins? If so - I think I would still have an undefeated 14-0 BR at the top and Naz would make a strong case for the 2 slot at 13-1. If Its a tight game between BR/Loyola and CG wins by 3 scores plus - then Loyola/CG fighting it out for 3 and 4 slots. But what to do with LWE? I think they take both CG and Naz in real life - but they didn’t win the game they were supposed to so that costs you in the polls!

MCHS,

I can’t disagree with you. That loss was difficult to watch and the play was so out of their usual. I don’t mean that they didn’t score or didn’t hold the Marist offense at bay, but rather they looked out of sync and almost for a lack of a better description playing scared like it was 2017 all over again. Sometimes perhaps you just can’t get the ghosts out of the head. Agreed it would make for interesting conversation! Then again it won’t happen because the SCN guys already have the formula to beating Naz as point out in the Naz SCN thread!

If BR wins it doesn't matter. If Br loses, we have a conversation.

It would still make me nervous to anoint them #1 after the beatdown they took from Marist.

There is no way CG is able to run with this CM team. Too much team speed all over the field. Richards was shocked by their speed and couldn’t keep up. CG will be able to score but CM will have big plays all over the field, all game. CM by at least 2 scores. So, no, they won’t be in the top 8 at the end.

CG by 10. Crete won’t stop CG running game. CG will chew up clock with long drives keeping CM offense off the field. CMs speed will be a difference maker though.

There is no way CG is able to run with this CM team. Too much team speed all over the field. Richards was shocked by their speed and couldn’t keep up. CG will be able to score but CM will have big plays all over the field, all game. CM by at least 2 scores. So, no, they won’t be in the top 8 at the end.

You must not have seen CG play Phillips.

CAry Grove is undefeated. They have only had a couple of tough games in the playoffs with two very very good teams in Phillips and Niles Notre Dame and the rest (including regular season) they have manhandled (PR is a rivalry which they won and we throw those games out anyways)

Don't forget the taking to the woodshed of Naperville central.

You must not have seen CG play Phillips.
Based on what I've seen from Phillips this season, I don't know if I'd put them on CM's level the way the are playing now. I could be wrong but I think CM is much more dynamic. CM seems to be more of a dual threat offense while Phillips from the games I've seen is much more 1-dimensional.

Thanks for the thread Voodoo. For the record, I was that guy in the dorm room up to no good. As far as picking a winner for this game, I think I've been pretty consistent in not going down that path and letting the Trojans just go out and play. Crete has a hot hand and CG found some late game magic against the Dons. After last weekend, anything goes. I would just hope that CG plays like they did with Phillips, score when you have the ball and control the tempo. Keep Crete's offense off the field.

Thanks for the thread Voodoo. For the record, I was that guy in the dorm room up to no good. As far as picking a winner for this game, I think I've been pretty consistent in not going down that path and letting the Trojans just go out and play. Crete has a hot hand and CG found some late game magic against the Dons. After last weekend, anything goes. I would just hope that CG plays like they did with Phillips, score when you have the ball and control the tempo. Keep Crete's offense off the field.

Ok I get not wanting to pick the game,....but just for a second - let’s assume CG wins and wins big. Where do you rank them for the state wide all classes poll? I kinda hijacked my own thread a little as I just don’t know where CG goes, #2? #1 if BR loses? #6 because in real life I don’t think CG beats LWE? Does LWE get a top 5 slot even with them not playing this weekend? Not sure that’s happened before!

Ok I get not wanting to pick the game,....but just for a second - let’s assume CG wins and wins big. Where do you rank them for the state wide all classes poll? I kinda hijacked my own thread a little as I just don’t know where CG goes, #2? #1 if BR loses? #6 because in real life I don’t think CG beats LWE? Does LWE get a top 5 slot even with them not playing this weekend? Not sure that’s happened before!
If they win big, I think they belong top 5 but there are schools I believe should possibly rank higher than CG regardless of their final destination in the playoffs. Meaning I’d rank CG behind teams I don’t think they could beat. Naz, Loyola, BR, LWE and SCN in no particular order. Who am I forgetting? I think CG gives Marist a good test based on common opponents. But then again what the hell do I know? I’m just an old Pink Floyd fan moonlighting as a high school football junkie.

If they win big, I think they belong top 5 but there are schools I believe should possibly rank higher than CG regardless of their final destination in the playoffs. Meaning I’d rank CG behind teams I don’t think they could beat. Naz, Loyola, BR, LWE and SCN in no particular order. Who am I forgetting? I think CG gives Marist a good test based on common opponents. But then again what the hell do I know? I’m just an old Pink Floyd fan moonlighting as a high school football junkie.

I don't know if I would put SCN in that same discussion, let's see what happens on Saturday. The rest? IDK, but I know I would love to see it decided on the field. If CG wins, then they shouldn't be ranked any lower than 3, 4 at the lowest.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
I don't know if I would put SCN in that same discussion, let's see what happens on Saturday. The rest? IDK, but I know I would love to see it decided on the field. If CG wins, then they shouldn't be ranked any lower than 3, 4 at the lowest.

I agree with atrain - I think CG wins a tight one over STCN!

IF BR loses, and both Naz and Cary win...

You'd forget about Marist's beating on Naz....while Cary beat NC, a team Marist struggled with? Might you be Mr Beth Long?

You obviously have not seen Cary play.

Reactions: atrain97
Agree on CM speed however CG drives eat up lots of clock - 5-6 minute drives . CM offense won’t be on the field enough times to make big plays. If CM gets some big stops on D then maybe they pull this out.

IF BR loses, and both Naz and Cary win...

You'd forget about Marist's beating on Naz....while Cary beat NC, a team Marist struggled with? Might you be Mr Beth Long?

Follow the entire thread and you'll see I hedged on that in a later post.

Where’s the DSR? That will be the forum Supreme Court final say on the end of season rankings!! I love to speculate about it though! Would love to know where they slot LWE.

Can someone get that group organized for one frikkin ranking this season? It must be like hearding cats!

Hey man, no problem. It's just another brick in the wall!

LWE gets the Alabama treatment this year IMHO. They were too good for too long to have a single loss to an 8A finalist hurt them. They finish 3rd behind LA/BR regardless of outcome of that game.

From there it gets a bit tricky in my mind. If Naz Can win dominantly I’d slot them at #4. Anything less and I’d have a hard time putting them ahead of Marist.

Assuming CG wins they feel like a #5/6.

My assumed end of season rankings sit at:

BR
LA
LWE
Marist
Naz
CG
SCN
HF
Montini
CM