ADVERTISEMENT

Caravan sports program #1 for state Catholic schools; #3 overall;

Surprised to see no Rice or Rita. If not at the top, almost always contenders. What has Marist done?

Last edited:
Surprised to see no Rice or Rita. If not at the top, always perennial contenders. What has Marist done?
This Niche group takes all sports into consideration. Marist Girls Softball and Girls/Boys Volleyball have won State titles in recent years

Reactions: Jenny27
Have also been in the 8A semi-finals or better consistently for roughly ten years.. if only the governor didn't send Carnell Tate away..
They have had a very successful football program, poster was asking why they were on there over BR and SR and I was saying Marist has recent State Championships on the schools resume that sets them apart from the other mentioned schools.

I think Tate was leaving regardless...he could have came back his Junior and Senior but he stayed. Too good of a National Opportunity to excel down there. They took Houston Griffith and Verdis Brown from MC about 6 years back....that senior year team lost in the semis...if they had those two playing still...well who knows I guess.

Montini at #5 was a bit surprising! A+grade! Now it's time for varsity football to get back on track.
Up until recently you could pencil them in for taking State in wrestling. Then the football championships....and the baseball title people forget about from a few years back.

Up until recently you could pencil them in for taking State in wrestling. Then the football championships....and the baseball title people forget about from a few years back.
That baseball team would have been a real state title contender the next year as all their starting pitchers were back as well as 90% of the team hitters. Covid pandemic took that year away from them. They still have some good wrestlers but not like it was before. Girls softball, basketball, and volleyball teams are always very good also.

Reactions: McCaravan
JCA should be right behind MC.
I have some major questions about the method used to determine this. Perhaps JC should be right up there with MC, perhaps not. What really perplexes me is the extremely high rating for PC. If this was 8-15 years ago I’m buying that when they were still a football perennial top 15 team and in the midst of a baseball three peat and on the tail end of their wrestling dominance.

Today? They are trending the right way for football and should be a beast soon, but are just starting off on that path again. Baseball still excellent. Other than that, I believe they have had some decent girls basketball, hockey, and perhaps softball teams of late, but nothing to make me consider them a top 10 athletic program in the last decade. Maybe I’m not remembering something right.

But when it is talking about participation numbers and things like that in the calculations, it really doesn’t seem to be focused on season outcomes anyway.

Have also been in the 8A semi-finals or better consistently for roughly ten years.. if only the governor didn't send Carnell Tate away..
Carnell Tate had multiple division 1 offers halfway through his freshman year of high school. Pretty sure Tate would have ended up in the exact same spot he’s in had he stayed at Marist. Look at Dupree at Mt. Carmel and the number of offers he’s received staying in Chicago. Sometimes I question these jumps these kids at that caliber at a young age and how it improves their situation.

He ended up missing out on 3 regular season games and whatever playoff games may or may not have happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silver Rain
Exactly. Niche rankings are a joke. All done by surveys, user online feedback, etc. No real data and investigating is done to do rankings. Can't take too much into anything Niche puts out.

Impressive to see LWE #1 in state all schools. I think if you’re in the top 25 your school is doing pretty darn good.
It’s impressive, but not surprising. Having two kids in HS sports the last 6 years and following most HS sports LWE seems to be a problem all the time.

Best Private High Schools According to Niche

On the above linked Niche list of the best private high schools in Illinois, MC comes in at 39, one spot behind Daarul Uloom Islamic School and its 32 students in Peoria. But, hey, perhaps you can find solace that Rice is #88 and DLS is #97 on that list.

On the following Niche list of best Catholic high schools in Illinois, MC is #15, ahead of RIta at #22: https://www.niche.com/k12/search/best-catholic-high-schools/s/illinois/

Take everything Niche says with huge grains of salt.

Last edited:
U.S. News & World Report isn't doing much better. Some schools fabricate data to boost their ranking, and dozens of others, citing fairness concerns, have dropped out entirely.

Last edited:
Niche relies on "surveys" from "parents" to help rate schools. Rankings can be manipulated based on what/how areas are weighted. How do you leave New Trier off the list? And Benet should be higher, they are excellent in most sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: USD24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT