ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone confirm........

All.... That's a difficult question to answer because of a few variables. The Mustangs new two year enrollment cycle is 1161. They are not multiplied. Looking at the past 10 years that number would of put them when the 256 playoff qualifiers were announced in class 5A postseason play. In 2018 (not looking at others schools 2019 changes in enrollment) St. Rita at 1161 would of been the seventh largest school in the 5A playoffs.

When official classifications come out for all of the schools before the season starts (I haven't done the breakdown math on everyone) they could start out as one of the smallest schools in 6A. But as the IHSA will tell you that doesn't necessarily mean when those postseason qualifiers are listed a school will be classed the same when they started the season.

It's an eight piece puzzle (eight classes) for many schools who are on the low or high enrollment cut line. As the season nears completion schools small and large are eliminated from postseason play. This in turn creates shifts up and down for playoff schools which can change what class they will play in.

If I had to guess though should the Mustangs qualify for the playoffs taking in those past IHSA numbers that 5A is likely. Ratsy

All.... That's a difficult question to answer because of a few variables. The Mustangs new two year enrollment cycle is 1161. They are not multiplied. Looking at the past 10 years that number would of put them when the 256 playoff qualifiers were announced in class 5A postseason play. In 2018 (not looking at others schools 2019 changes in enrollment) St. Rita at 1161 would of been the seventh largest school in the 5A playoffs.

When official classifications come out for all of the schools before the season starts (I haven't done the breakdown math on everyone) they could start out as one of the smallest schools in 6A. But as the IHSA will tell you that doesn't necessarily mean when those postseason qualifiers are listed a school will be classed the same when they started the season.

It's an eight piece puzzle (eight classes) for many schools who are on the low or high enrollment cut line. As the season nears completion schools small and large are eliminated from postseason play. This in turn creates shifts up and down for playoff schools which can change what class they will play in.

If I had to guess though should the Mustangs qualify for the playoffs taking in those past IHSA numbers that 5A is likely. Ratsy
Thanks Ratsy. If 5A then they have to be in the mix with Montini, JCA, Sterling, Highland etc. assuming they get that might 5 wins

Thanks Ratsy. If 5A then they have to be in the mix with Montini, JCA, Sterling, Highland etc. assuming they get that might 5 wins

All.... Yep including SHG. But someone is going to get the "beast" of football. ESL (not being allowed to petition up) at 1262 will be on the bubble. They could be 5A or 6A when the playoff teams are announced. If 5A and a SHG/ESL comes about I plan on some hard pregame partying with the Flyer folks. Ratsy

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
Wow, now that’s an I interesting possible class!
SR
Montini
JCA
Sterling
ESL
SHG
Highland

Not sure how it exactly plays out, but with stupid quads or 1 - 16 north & south situation going on here, I believe SR, Sterling and Bronco would be battling for the "north" championship with the winner playing ESL, JCA, SHG or Highland? That if and only if SR makes the playoffs.

I do want SR to stay in 5A and see what happens, but there's a apart of me that would want them to petition up to 7A, so 1 - 32 seeding rules the day.

Reactions: tomloner
Yikes, if we throw a couple more Beasts into 5A and than 5A will be considered the most Elite Class followed by maybe 8A, 7A then 4A or 6A.

Then all the JC guys can say to MC63 "Oh MC won another State Title, but it didn't really count because it wasn't in 5A", "you might wanna push that Trophy toward the back of the case". :p

Yikes, if we throw a couple more Beasts into 5A and than 5A will be considered the most Elite Class followed by maybe 8A, 7A then 4A or 6A.

Then all the JC guys can say to MC63 "Oh MC won another State Title, but it didn't really count because it wasn't in 5A", "you might wanna push that Trophy toward the back of the case". :p

You need to exhale ... slowly.

In 2019, Sterling might take a step back from the last 3 seasons. They have a lot to replace. Time will tell.

Not sure why that is a topic but okay. I guess you are saying in 7A accuracy is not required. Oh well, was just curious.
Just saying that a 7A team is fine with playing ESL, which is "playing up."

A once-in-a-lifetime 5A team sees ESL as their second-round opponent will likely want to make sure everything is in order.

There will be more scrutiny. Hell, you have conference teams making some claims about recruiting and those are larger schools.

Just saying that a 7A team is fine with playing ESL, which is "playing up."

A once-in-a-lifetime 5A team sees ESL as their second-round opponent will likely want to make sure everything is in order.

There will be more scrutiny. Hell, you have conference teams making some claims about recruiting and those are larger schools.

Got it. I see your point.

All.... If the Flyers end up in 5A when the postseason rolls around there are going to be some really ugly games for many of their opponents. If my friends from Jerseyville leaked into the playoffs like last year at 5-4 and opened up playing them, ESL could start all of their "b team. They will create havoc in the "southern" bracket of 16 for sure. Ratsy

Unfortunately I would look for Highland to be down for this coming year and possibly 2020 as well.

They will be solid up front(return 4/5 starters) allowing for them to compete in the MVC. As well as solid coaching. They just don’t have anywhere near the athletes they have had recently to compete come playoff time.

this is one of my all time favorite board arguments - as el viel antagoniste. That is: while accepting the assumption and starting point that the higher the class, the better the top teams; there was no room for an exception to the rule that a 5a team could not be the best in state.

this is one of my all time favorite board arguments - as el viel antagoniste. That is: while accepting the assumption and starting point that the higher the class, the better the top teams; there was no room for an exception to the rule that a 5a team could not be the best in state.

Of course the 5A champ might be the best team in the state.

I never,ever said anything to suggest otherwise.

For the hundredth time, it doesn't seem fair for a team to play a 7A schedule throughout the season, and then, win the 5A tourney and make a big deal out of it.

Can anybody understand that? Try Kevin, try..

For the hundredth time, it doesn't seem fair for a team to play a 7A schedule throughout the season, and then, win the 5A tourney and make a big deal out of it.

Yeah
I never got that. If they were good enough to play and beat teams in a higher class then why allow them to play down in the playoffs and beat up on some smaller teams. It’s like letting a Varsity team play a Sophomore team.

What isn't fair about playing a tough regular season schedule? Why shouldnt a 5A school make a big deal about winning a 5A title? Regardless of who they play during the regular season, they are a 5A school.

What isn't fair about playing a tough regular season schedule? Why shouldnt a 5A school make a big deal about winning a 5A title? Regardless of who they play during the regular season, they are a 5A school.

Every championship should be celebrated. It's a major accomplishment regardless of class.

If they compete well at a higher level, they've obviously got a better pool of talent, they have invaluable experience, the team is likely more sophisticated. They likely have a larger roster.

Yes, all of that is within the rules, but where's the big achievement?

If they compete well at a higher level, they've obviously got a better pool of talent, they have invaluable experience, the team is likely more sophisticated. They likely have a larger roster.

Winning is an accomplishment. Several teams have everything you mentioned and don't win. The best "team" doesn't always win therefore, it is an accomplishment to win. Based on your logic, because MC won an 8A championship, anything below it wasn't an achievement. Once you demonstrate the ability to win at the highest level, anything below is should be expected. MC has the ability to petition to 8A every year! The fact that they don't put them in the same category as JC based on your Philosophy.

The big accomplishment is winning a state championship! JCA was a combined 4-14 the two years prior to this season. What about that indicates they compete at a higher level? They got beat by 5 TD's this year by 3 separate teams. They won the 5A championship on the last play of the game. I would say they were in the class they belonged.

Stop diminishing the accomplishments of 15-17 year old kids.

Reactions: pjjp

LMAO....REALLY....!!!

I thought it was completely obvious that I was just poking fun at you. And, just in case it wasn't completely obvious, I put the :p there at the end.

As far as playing a 7A schedule and then play in the 5A tourney, that's why I liked the original system they had when there was only 4 classes. Your enrollment number was heavily based on the average enrollment of your regular season opponents. You beat 9 teams with an average enrollment of 1600, so now your post season enrollment is now 1600.

Winning is an accomplishment. Several teams have everything you mentioned and don't win. The best "team" doesn't always win therefore, it is an accomplishment to win. Based on your logic, because MC won an 8A championship, anything below it wasn't an achievement. Once you demonstrate the ability to win at the highest level, anything below is should be expected. MC has the ability to petition to 8A every year! The fact that they don't put them in the same category as JC based on your Philosophy.

I never, ever said or implied that titles below 8A aren't impressive.

When will you and Kevin learn to read?

At least you don't give me that old, "I was only kidding" nonsense when backed into a corner.

At least you don't give me that old, "I was only kidding" nonsense when backed into a corner.

Maybe you should re read what you wrote.

Who cares...Peter Tork died. :(

So if I am interpreting this right, of JC's 14 titles, the only one for which you would say "what's the big achievement?" Is 2018. Prior to 2005 we had football enrollment where your class was dictated by your regular season opponent enrollment and 2007 was class 6a which fit in with our 2007 schedule.

It seems like a strange line to draw for what is considered an achievement. But hey, 13 out of 14 ain't bad.

Reactions: pjjp and Gene K.
So if I am interpreting this right, of JC's 14 titles, the only one for which you would say "what's the big achievement?" Is 2018. Prior to 2005 we had football enrollment where your class was dictated by your regular season opponent enrollment and 2007 was class 6a which fit in with our 2007 schedule.

It seems like a strange line to draw for what is considered an achievement. But hey, 13 out of 14 ain't bad.

Under the circumstances, you have a lot to brag about. Congratulations.

th

That's all I can say to your logic.

Under the circumstances, you have a lot to brag about. Congratulations.

Well, there are now 4 Carmelites on staff at Joliet Catholic and a 5th who is an alum, lives in Joliet and is very active in school activies.
Surely that worthy of celebration!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT