ADVERTISEMENT

Bolingbrooks new football field

Kevin JCHS 81

Jul 16, 2005
Bolingbrooks new field if I can Inbed this correctly.

WARNING: turn your sound down or the background wind noise will be bad.

Reactions: Relist8
Alot is being made about how "hot" the black turf will be this summer etc. All I can tell you is that they also are installing the cool turf deal which has the green pellets....SIU just installed the same deal and I was really surprised how well it worked at SIU....didn't get feet burn and didn't feel the heat rise from the pellets like the usual black rubber pellets so....not saying it won't have issues but all I can tell you is that I definitely felt a difference with the new green pellets.

Looks cool. I would have to watch a game there first to see what it looks like during gametime.

Does Bolingbrook wear black jerseys at home?

Looks cool. I would have to watch a game there first to see what it looks like during gametime.

Does Bolingbrook wear black jerseys at home?

I thought about the same thing on film. Yes, sometimes black and sometimes red.

Black uniforms on a black field in the night. It might be like the Brook defense hiding in the dark??

The O might feel hits coming from nowhere.

Reactions: Yard_dog71
Our field has the green pellets. Although it’s green turf, not black, the pellets do make a difference. Ours is a sand, cork, green pellet mix, very little of the black pellets.

The sophomores noticed a difference playing on a non-green pellet field for a 7-on-7. They could feel their feet “burning” during the middle of the day.

But games that will be played at night and Da Brook wearing black uniforms would be a sight.

A few years back doing research for our own field, came across this new technology, fiber optic blades of grass:
Imagine being able to turn a football field to a soccer field, change color of turf from game to game.

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
This is awesome and I hope more schools follow suit with being creative with their fields, uniforms, etc. If I was an incoming student at the Brook, this alone would create great interest in me wanting to play football.

What other schools would you want to paint their field one of their primary team colors?

Can you please provide some examples on why you aren’t a fan of it?
I completely understand the merits of turf, but I prefer football be played on grass. Now, besides not being played on grass or looking like grass you have it look like football is being played on blacktop. I think it is going to hinder the viewing experience, makes the job more difficult for the referees, and creates a substantial advantage for the home team. Overall, I think it's just very kitsch and I don't care for it. I don't think it's going to change anyone's mind. Just voicing my opinion on it.

I completely understand the merits of turf, but I prefer football be played on grass. Now, besides not being played on grass or looking like grass you have it look like football is being played on blacktop. I think it is going to hinder the viewing experience, makes the job more difficult for the referees, and creates a substantial advantage for the home team. Overall, I think it's just very kitsch and I don't care for it. I don't think it's going to change anyone's mind. Just voicing my opinion on it.
I too was a grass guy. Took me a while to get accustomed to grass being a thing of the past. Then I liked green turf. But in the midst of me hating on Boise State's blue turf it dawned me that the only reason turf was green was because grass was green. Since it isn't grass there really isn't a reason for green turf. May as well change it up if you want.

I think black is less adventurous than other colors though. Glad they chose it over red or white or silver/grey.

I am with you 100%. This looks ridiculous and I have never been a fan of turf either. But, I guess if you have to have it, make it green and one color green. Not this stuff that is 5 yards Kentucky blue grass and 5 yards of fescue. That looks dumb too.

But this field looks like some little arsonist came along and lit a match to it. Lol. They might as well get some type of spray that smells like smoke and burnt grass and apply it to this field. Make it smell they way it looks.

A pink field would have given the opponents an advantage.

Is Bolingbrook going to use a red pigskin? or glow in the dark pigskin??

Last edited:
makes the job more difficult for the referees, and creates a substantial advantage for the home team.

I’m struggling to see how the field color makes our job more difficult. Or how the home team gets an advantage on the field. Green teams go all green on green turf. I’ve yet to see a player sneak past me and the 11 defenders because of his blending with the turf

Interesting side play though. A college team did have a player lay down in the same colored end zone of their jerseys and try to hide on a kick off to then have a backwards pass thrown to him. It didn’t work and was deemed illegal but kind of funny nonetheless

I’m struggling to see how the field color makes our job more difficult. Or how the home team gets an advantage on the field. Green teams go all green on green turf. I’ve yet to see a player sneak past me and the 11 defenders because of his blending with the turf

Interesting side play though. A college team did have a player lay down in the same colored end zone of their jerseys and try to hide on a kick off to then have a backwards pass thrown to him. It didn’t work and was deemed illegal but kind of funny nonetheless
An interesting article on the matter at the college level: https://www.foxsports.com/college-f...give-boise-state-competitive-advantage-080111

A point that stood out to me was the numbers. I think that would have been a bigger issue before the IHSA made the same rule. I also think backdrop matters, night game vs day game (you mentioned all green on green, but at night the backdrop would be black). Like I said before though, I think. We won't know until the season.

And for the players sneaking past you, I'm sure there are some coaches, fans, and players who would argue a player has "snuck" past a ref before. :D

Power166,

You made some great points I agree with.

Are there any other high schools in other states with a black field?

A point that stood out to me was the numbers. I think that would have been a bigger issue before the IHSA made the same rule. I also think backdrop matters, night game vs day game (you mentioned all green on green, but at night the backdrop would be black). Like I said before though, I think. We won't know until the season.

I’m sure Bolingbrook is pretty upset with the unfortunate timing of Edison coming out with that damn light bulb ruining their night time, ninja inspired competitive advantage.

I get not liking the field, but I think it’s a real reach to say that players/officials will not be able to easily see a large object moving in a well lit open area several yards away from them regardless of color of field not contrasting with backdrop and uniform color

I’m sure Bolingbrook is pretty upset with the unfortunate timing of Edison coming out with that damn light bulb ruining their night time, ninja inspired competitive advantage.

I get not liking the field, but I think it’s a real reach to say that players/officials will not be able to easily see a large object moving in a well lit open area several yards away from them regardless of color of field not contrasting with backdrop and uniform color
Did I say not easily see? I'm pretty sure I used the words hinder and advantage. I also put the words in bold in my last post that matter the most if you look back at it. I can always be wrong, and that's ok too.

It’s all a bunch of “get off my lawn!” responses....people will get used to it and life goes on.

It’s all a bunch of “get off my lawn!” responses....people will get used to it and life goes on.
And you're coming here with a "get off my lawn" response about the "get off my lawn" responses. Not all change is good and simply "getting used to things" doesn't make them right or OK by everyone. People are entitled to their opinions and others are entitled to disagree. I personally think it looks ridiculous. Others may disagree with me and that's fine.

And you're coming here with a "get off my lawn" response about the "get off my lawn" responses. Not all change is good and simply "getting used to things" doesn't make them right or OK by everyone. People are entitled to their opinions and others are entitled to disagree. I personally think it looks ridiculous. Others may disagree with me and that's fine.

It’s not a big deal...but anyways.

I do hope the crew remembers their white bean bags and are not using their black ones!

Reactions: Chief321

I disagree with you but like you said you have your opinion and I have mine. That’s what I like about this board. That said you will have to get use to it because it’s not going away. Just saying.

Neither are the shootings in Chicago. Doesn't mean I have to "get used" to them either.

I believe you will seem many more schools moving to their colors so maybe you will never get used to it but your definitely going to see more of them. Field color isn’t important to me but I get ya LHSALUM.

Like some of you that commented I prefer a green field but the Brook's new field looks kind of cool. And I'm fairly certain the players on both teams will think it's a cool field to play on. So what do they care if a bunch of old farts like us don't like it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT