ADVERTISEMENT

Best game of 1A-8A

For offense the Williamsville game.

for defense (and I love defense) LWE vs Warren.

Tje defense was stellar but I had LWE winning before the end of the first half. As far as sheer crazy see-saw entertainment, 3A delivered.

3A easily.

I must be missing something about the 8A game. When LWE went up 6-0, I thought it was pretty much over. The only chance Warren had was some freak play that led to a score. When LWE went up 12-0. it was over. At no point in that game did it appear as if the Warren offense had any of chance of scoring. What did they end up with.....3 first downs?

3A because 8A the outcom wa
3A easily.

I must be missing something about the 8A game. When LWE went up 6-0, I thought it was pretty much over. The only chance Warren had was some freak play that led to a score. When LWE went up 12-0. it was over. At no point in that game did it appear as if the Warren offense had any of chance of scoring. What did they end up with.....3 first downs?
This

I'ma defense kinda guy. I liked the 8A game. The intensity was unrivaled and the anticipation of who was going to be the team to break a long one was big. Then when Warren got that fumble and almost returned it...

3A was second. Really exciting game, but due to the lack of defense.

For offense the Williamsville game.

for defense (and I love defense) LWE vs Warren.
I love defense as well, but I am going to say something that may irritate both East and Warren folks. Both offenses showed an amazing lack of imagination. Someone said it earlier, they seemed to *play not to lose*.

I understand this but even with bad conditions, there is a way to exercise creativity. East and Warren both have great defenses, but an unwillingness to exercise imagination increased defensive prowess.

I love defense as well, but I am going to say something that may irritate both East and Warren folks. Both offenses showed an amazing lack of imagination. Someone said it earlier, they seemed to *play not to lose*.

I understand this but even with bad conditions, there is a way to exercise creativity. East and Warren both have great defenses, but an unwillingness to exercise imagination increased defensive prowess.
Spot on.

3a was great. Sadly, I can’t think of a finals Saturday that has had a larger gap between anticipation of on paper great matchups and the actual entertainment value offered.

While there were certainly some great performances, I don’t think there was any real drama in the fourth quarter of any game Saturday.

That , to me, was the biggest surprise of the weekend that was so highly anticipated.

Last edited:

30-40 mph winds and heavy rains will have an effect on any offense. The conditions got progressively worse as the game went on. And when you have a great defense like those two teams do, why go out if your way to do something different?

30-40 mph winds and heavy rains will have an effect on any offense. The conditions got progressively worse as the game went on. And when you have a great defense like those two teams do, why go out if your way to do something different?

Completely agree Newt

Good coaches would look at the conditions and the opponents defense and game plan accordingly. And both teams have great coaches.

On the contrary, LWE played to win - Coach Z's plan was to score 3X - he knew 3 scores (even if all were FG's) would win the game - 9 points was all he wanted to make it a 2 score game for them. Why risk going away from that approach just to put up more stat #'s and points and risk allowing the same.

Agree with Newt and TMJ Grady. If Warren had converted the first FG and taken the lead who knows where this game could have gone. Just missing by what 3 feet at most wide? LWE hits two long FG’s and goes up 6-0. The situation forced Warren to pass the ball...after a season of what..100 passing attempts was the dagger in those conditions for the Devils. Both teams just missed on long routes once that could have been scores. I will go with two great coaches at Warren and LWE doing what was required to win. Sure glamor points would be nice but they don’t put any bonus score up for level of difficulty. I feel Coach Zvonar and Pallissard with experience for that environment, did what was needed. In 2005 East had Maine South on the ropes and tried for the perfect should I say cute plays and almost allowed a determined Hawks team to capture the title. That was a great game by the way going to OT. LWE passed almost 200 times this season and was capable to do so in this game if it would have become necessary vs. Warren. Give Warren a year to plan and learn from 2019 and you will see a
better outcome with their great coaching staff going forward. AJ Henning if healthy in the playoffs last year could have had 3 titles? I like the LWE approach the last 10 years who have reinvented the offense to match the talent available. The constant with the Griffins has been defense...the commodity Warren already has and will be a force in the future for the Devils.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT