ADVERTISEMENT

Best case scenario for your team

MS4EVER

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2004
This is my dream playoffs for MS.

Round 1 - Find a way to beat The Brook and stay healthy. (Meeting Bones a plus)

Round 2- Pretty please don’t make us go to Belleville!! I’ll take the undefeated team any day.

Quarters- Beating GBS once a year is great. Twice in a year amazing!! Or the Hitters @ beautiful Duchon Field

Semifinals- After Beast dispatches Warren, they are so beat up that we are on equal ground with them.

Championship- Hollywood of course!!

The chances of this happening are probably not great, but I can dream.
Anyone else have a dream?

Last season, before the year began, I predicted MC to finish the regular season 6-3 and make the quarters. They did just that. Full disclosure I had them losing to SR in week one and not Ignatius in week 5, but it all played out to 6-3. I thought 2022 would be a special season for MC with all they brought back and this was before they added Manning. So far it’s been just that. The bar has been set by them, State or bust. Anything lower would be unacceptable for the players and coaches and disappointing for the fans.

I preface this by saying this is a "wishful thinking" type scenario.

First things first: beat a battle-tested Geneva in Chicago. That whole town, I'm sure, wants revenge.

Then head north and face a Prospect team seeking revenge as well. Btw, if SR advances, does she have a chance? You've seen the Knights live, I assume?

Somehow have STCN lose b4 the quarterfinals (highly doubt it). Or deal with reality and win a close one in St. Charles.

Pray DGN or The Bourbonnais finds a way to defeat favored MC. Or face MC and pull off an upset in Chicago.

Be so damn confident and clicking on all cylinders, that Hersey or WN doesn't stand a chance.

Last edited:
1st Round - beat DGS while Naperville North beats Marist(this will be important later)

2nd Round - Beat Minooka while York beats Naperville North

Quarterfinals - Thank to Naperville North we get York at home instead of at York, Dominik Ball runs wild and scores 4 TDs springing the upset

Semi-Finals - Unfortunately we'd have to travel to Loyola, but we'll see what happens. Outside of the Glenbrook South game Palatine's starting defense has only given up 14 to SCN and 10 to Conant - the other 6 opponents the starters held them under 7 or less. So it's not a great chance, but it's a chance. The last time PHS played Loyola in the playoffs it was a 24-22 loss in the 2015 semifinals - so it's not outside the realm of possibility as this team is better than that 2015 squad.

Last edited:
I preface this by saying this is a "wishful thinking" type scenario.

First things first: beat a battle-tested Geneva in Chicago. That whole town, I'm sure, wants revenge.

Then head north and face a Prospect team seeking revenge as well. Btw, if SR advances, does she have a chance? You've seen the Knights live, I assume?

Somehow have STCN lose b4 the quarterfinals (highly doubt it). Or deal with reality and win a close one in Chicago.

Pray DGN or The Bourbonnais finds a way to defeat favored MC. Or face MC and pull off an upset in Chicago.

Be so damn confident and clicking on all cylinders, that Hersey or WN doesn't stand a chance.
Prospect has size, speed and some ballsy play calling. In order to beat them St. Rita will have to limit the big plays. Sounds simple but their QB is so good. It’s funny because I don’t think he is super fast or has a big arm. He just makes plays. He probably throws better on the run than dropping back. And his receivers are smart enough to help him out in those situation’s. If SR can keep it low scoring I think they win. But if they get in the shoot out no way.

given that I'm hearing about some key injuries to BR, it sounds like making it to the second round is their best case

Round 1- dispatch Plainfield Central while WN spanks Willowbrook.

Round 2- a revenge of last year's round 2 against Hononegah, or make the short trip to Normal Comm.

Quarters- Hope it rains like hell and pull out a stunner at home against WN.

Semis- Pray to the football gods for a miracle against Batavia or Hersey.

Finals- Cross our fingers that MC is too banged up for a good ground and pound

I know this is supposed to be best-case scenario, but realistically I see us losing to WN in quarters.

Prospect has size, speed and some ballsy play calling. In order to beat them St. Rita will have to limit the big plays. Sounds simple but their QB is so good. It’s funny because I don’t think he is super fast or has a big arm. He just makes plays. He probably throws better on the run than dropping back. And his receivers are smart enough to help him out in those situation’s. If SR can keep it low scoring I think they win. But if they get in the shoot out no way.
Appreciate the info! Let's get by Geneva and see what happens.

Reactions: MS4EVER
Going into the season I thought this team might be 5-4. I thought we would lose to MC and SR, I figured Willowbrook and Naz could be two more loses. I honestly looked at Benet as a toss up. So I figured you had to be perfect against the other 4 opponents (SP,SV,DP, and SL). We got to 6-3 and have mixed emotions about where we are at right now.
With all that being said, I look at our playoff draw and honestly believe we could lose to Antioch on Friday. I also see a path to the state championship game. The thing I love about this time of year is the optimism that things could break your way and you could go on a magical run. I’ve seen it with my team, albeit never to the ultimate goal of a state championship. I’ve seen it in other teams and wish we could experience that someday. Friday starts a journey that I believe keeps us all coming back every year at this time of year loving the playoffs. Good luck to you and yours and Go Dons!!

STN

Round 1 - @ STN vs Maine West - Need to Stay Healthy

Round 2 - @ Hoffman Estates - STN will pull away

Round 3 - @STN Prospect - expect points, but more by STN

Semi’s - @ STN - MC. STN can win, but they need an ice storm of a biblical nature upon kickoff, high winds and MC to play with their shoes tied together. Anything can happen. Looking at the top of this bracket, it seems probable that these two meet. MC will be play at home until this game. MC has their best team ever…the best in Illinois…but anyone can have a bad day.

Finals - STN vs Batavia - won’t be as easy as last week (LOL)….if you haven’t seen that game, find it and watch it. Wow!

STN wins 7A

Speaking of last week….If you haven’t been to a game at Batavia, make it a point to go to one. Incredible atmosphere, the “red light” district is very cool and super intimidating. Great and classy fans… this is football at its finest! Concessions get a B-. The ladies working it get an A+ (I’m single)

It’s still the most unreal games I’ve seen in HS football.

Worst case….life’s been crappy of late…so I choose to keep this positive.

JCA

Extreme Best Case....get to the state title game where I don't see a victory over SHG.

Realistic Best Case....beat Provi in Round 2 (anything after would be gravy). Have to believe R-B will have a nice advantage over the Provi/JCA winner with their easier path. Then, St. Francis will have a nice advantage in the semis over whomever they face. The Spartans have a dream draw.

Round one: defeat anyway, anyhow an inspired Geneva team.
Round two: Before Prospect, at home, gets too ahead (see 1st half performances of SR v Benet, Naz, PC and even NND for sources of my concern) pull out the 2006 playbook and personnel and keep Prospect's offense off the field and live to see another week
Quarters: Same 2006 street fight strategy vs STCN and contain Surges as best they can and sneak out a win
Semis: Rematch vs MC. If 2006 playbook and personnel are clicking, I'll take the 32 points (35-3 MC in week one) if anyone is interested. Fight MC for 4 quarters and let the chips fall where they may. If there is no miracle to be had that day, bounce up, dust the uniforms off and shake and bro hug your rivals and wish them well in the finals, but....ah, nevermind, long road to hoe before even contemplating the seemingly impossible.

Sterling

Best Case: Find a way to knock off Sycamore in the quarters.

Worst Case: They don't take their round one game seriously and lose to St. Viator.

Reactions: SGW08
JCA

Extreme Best Case....get to the state title game where I don't see a victory over SHG.

Realistic Best Case....beat Provi in Round 2 (anything after would be gravy). Have to believe R-B will have a nice advantage over the Provi/JCA winner with their easier path. Then, St. Francis will have a nice advantage in the semis over whomever they face. The Spartans have a dream draw.
SF will need to clean up things significantly. But I do think people are overreacting to the IC loss…SF was a pick 6 being called back at the 1 yard line (which was an objectively bad call) from being up 21-6 in the first half against IC, which likely would have put them in the drivers seat to operate a different, more conservative game plan in the second half, likely changing the outcome…Being at that game, a 2 score lead felt insurmountable for either team.

I say that to say this, SF can beat anyone in 4A, but they have shown that they can also beat themselves better than any other team in the bracket, and they’re still young at many positions. They will likely face Rochelle in the quarters at Rochelle, and I have seen much crazier things happen than that upset. If they stay disciplined and clean up the penalty yards even somewhat, they’ll be a tough out for anyone. They wouldn’t be the favorite against R-B, JCA or Provi, but an upset of any of those teams would not shock me one bit. And they will likely learn lessons from the IC loss that they wouldn’t have if they would have pulled the game out late and won.

But if they don’t clean up the flags and don’t stay more disciplined on both sides of the ball, people anointing them to the semis before the games are played makes me nervous, as Rochelle at home is not a gimme game. Rochelle has a great running back, a stout line and they’re tough….and SF is absolutely capable of beating themselves, as they have proven this past Friday.

With all that being said, McMillen is a very good coach with a strong staff around him, and I am confident a loss will wake the players up and I hope to see a more disciplined, more focused SF team in the playoffs.

Reactions: Nevada Dude
SF best case: beat the teams they should until the semis, then have a few bounces go their way against one of the aforementioned 3, and pull off the upset. Then head to Champaign and see what happens against a loaded and hungry SHG team.

MS4EVER:

I don't ever underestimate opponents, but judging LA's opponents, I believe the Ramblers could advance past the first round and perhaps make it as far as the quarterfinals.

I do fear LA running into York if we make it this far.

Reactions: Gene K.
Boylan can’t beat Sycamore?
Boylan has every chance
Sterling

Best Case: Find a way to knock off Sycamore in the quarters.

Worst Case: They don't take their round one game seriously and lose to St. Viator.
Sterling has always competed well with Sycamore when they were in the NIB 12, and in playoffs, I know they are good but are they better than past Sycamore teams?everyone is talking like they are untouchable but honestly they have not played anyone real tough, Morris, but is Morris that good? They have not played anyone that tough either and got beat by good teams. No disrespect to either teams, they are both good programs but I definetly think Boylan and Sterling have a chance at beating them. That said, I havint seen them play this year so I could be way off,

Reactions: boylanfan33
I don’t have a team but have adopted a conference.

Lake Zurich-Best case they can get to the semis where they run into Hersey which isn’t a great matchup for them. It won’t be easy as Wheaton North is waiting in Round 2 but this is a best case so I will say the semi-finals in 7A.

Libertyville-They figure out a way to beat Yorkville and Moline before getting pasted by Hersey. Realistically it is one and done.

Stevenson-Beat Warren in the 1st round, Huntley in Round 2 but get pounded by LWE in the quarters.

Warren-Beat Stevenson in the 1st round, Huntley in Round 2 and keep it close against LWE in the quarters.

Wow. And that was without #6 for 3 quarters.
It was the first time I've seen him play. He was very impressive in the little bit of time he played. This has to be the best offense Lynch has had. The QB is excellent, and he has numerous weapons to throw to. The backup RB from Marist looked good too. It's just a complete and diverse offense.

I also noticed how the defense kicked it up a notch or two in the second half. The pass rush was lethal. And Arrington in the secondary delivered numerous big hits. Good luck to the rest of 7A against the Caravan.

When they ran Manning up the middle twice and didn't gain positive yardage, I thought it was poor play calling. But now I realize that it was a setup. On the third attempt, Loyola over-committed and Manning cut right for an 18-yard touchdown.

When they ran Manning up the middle twice and didn't gain positive yardage, I thought it was poor play calling. But now I realize that it was a setup. On the third attempt, Loyola over-committed and Manning cut right for an 18-yard touchdown.
Plus the long runs up the middle between the guards and tackles that we grew up playing and watching is really coming to an end, especially with no lead blockers. Yes, they do still occur but the game has just changed so much....it’s a speed game, spread out, RPO. Plus the linebackers now are so damn fast...even the Dline have a burst across the entire line we didn’t see years ago.

Reactions: Silver Rain
SF will need to clean up things significantly. But I do think people are overreacting to the IC loss…SF was a pick 6 being called back at the 1 yard line (which was an objectively bad call) from being up 21-6 in the first half against IC, which likely would have put them in the drivers seat to operate a different, more conservative game plan in the second half, likely changing the outcome…Being at that game, a 2 score lead felt insurmountable for either team.

I say that to say this, SF can beat anyone in 4A, but they have shown that they can also beat themselves better than any other team in the bracket, and they’re still young at many positions. They will likely face Rochelle in the quarters at Rochelle, and I have seen much crazier things happen than that upset. If they stay disciplined and clean up the penalty yards even somewhat, they’ll be a tough out for anyone. They wouldn’t be the favorite against R-B, JCA or Provi, but an upset of any of those teams would not shock me one bit. And they will likely learn lessons from the IC loss that they wouldn’t have if they would have pulled the game out late and won.

But if they don’t clean up the flags and don’t stay more disciplined on both sides of the ball, people anointing them to the semis before the games are played makes me nervous, as Rochelle at home is not a gimme game. Rochelle has a great running back, a stout line and they’re tough….and SF is absolutely capable of beating themselves, as they have proven this past Friday.

With all that being said, McMillen is a very good coach with a strong staff around him, and I am confident a loss will wake the players up and I hope to see a more disciplined, more focused SF team in the playoffs.
What was the nature of the majority of the penalties?

Plus the long runs up the middle between the guards and tackles that we grew up playing and watching is really coming to an end, especially with no lead blockers. Yes, they do still occur but the game has just changed so much....it’s a speed game, spread out, RPO. Plus the linebackers now are so damn fast...even the Dline have a burst across the entire line we didn’t see years ago.
You need to watch NV play offense. Dive right, dive left……with a fullback. Don’t mind that there is speed to burn at the wideout position. They are a decoy.

What was the nature of the majority of the penalties?
Holding / False Start / Block in the Back / Pass Interference (offense and defense) / Chop Block / Illegal Motion…you name it they got it. Had to be 150+ penalty yards.

They had the aforementioned pick 6 called back by a block in the back on the 1 not even close to the play, and then had a holding call on a 50 yard go-ahead touchdown in the 4th quarter on a block that didn’t impact the play.

Leaving 14 points on the board in a game like that is a back breaker. The most frustrating SF game I’ve ever watched because it felt like from early in Q2 to the end of Q3 SF kept knocking on the door to get a two score lead and just couldn’t execute at IC’s goal line (multiple drives starting inside IC’s 5 to being 1st and goal from the 40+ because of penalties), letting IC hang tight until they broke a screen loose on a play midway through the 4th quarter.

Holding / False Start / Block in the Back / Pass Interference (offense and defense) / Chop Block / Illegal Motion…you name it they got it. Had to be 150+ penalty yards.

They had the aforementioned pick 6 called back by a block in the back on the 1 not even close to the play, and then had a holding call on a 50 yard go-ahead touchdown in the 4th quarter on a block that didn’t impact the play.

Leaving 14 points on the board in a game like that is a back breaker. The most frustrating SF game I’ve ever watched because it felt like from early in Q2 to the end of Q3 SF kept knocking on the door to get a two score lead and just couldn’t execute at IC’s goal line (multiple drives starting inside IC’s 5 to being 1st and goal from the 40+ because of penalties), letting IC hang tight until they broke a screen loose on a play midway through the 4th quarter.
I just saw the number…they had *17* (yes that is correct) penalties in the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT