ADVERTISEMENT

Best away playoff games.

USD24

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Joliet
One of my favorite aspects of the playoffs is getting the opportunity to go on the road and play at schools/towns where you have not played. Over the years, i have been to many playoff games at many venues. Some of my favorite include.

Metamora-great central Illinois town that really gets behind their team. Had a blast in 2018 going down there in the first round. Friendly people who were great hosts.

Morris- Witnessed some great JC/Morris matchups here. I remember being in line to get into the stadium hours before the infamous Dergo game. What an atmosphere that night was.

Geneseo-Went to Geneseo as a grade schooler to watch them play Montini in the semi-finals I believe. Was my first real taste of small town football. The whole town was there, signs were in every lawn as you drove to the stadium. They absolutely destroyed the Broncos that day and I remember leaving that town in shock. That was what high school football was all about.

LaSalle/Peru- hands down the best road playoff atmosphere I've ever experienced. Huge tailgating scene most of the day and a full house. One of the best high school stadiums in the state.

As a player, playing at Belvidere way back in the day in the semi-finals. At that time in my life, I thought Belvidere was on the other end of the earth. Another example of a whole town showing up. The stands were packed and felt like the crowd was right on top of you.

Good luck to all this weekend. Hoping for a great month of football!

Last edited:
One of my favorite aspects of the playoffs is getting the opportunity to go on the road and play at schools/towns where you have not played. Over the years, i have been to many playoff games at many venues. Some of my favorite include.

Metamora-great central Illinois town that really gets behind their team. Had a blast in 2018 going down there in the first round. Friendly people who were great hosts.

Morris- Witnessed some great JC/Morris matchups here. I remember being in line to get into the stadium hours before the infamous Dergo game. What an atmosphere that night was.

Geneseo-Went to Geneseo as a grade schooler to watch them play Montini in the semi-finals I believe. Was my first real taste of small town football. The whole town was there, signs were in every lawn as you drove to the stadium. They absolutely destroyed the Broncos that day and I remember leaving that town in shock. That was what high school football was all about.

LaSalle/Peru- hands down the best road playoff atmosphere I've ever experienced. Huge tailgating scene most of the day and a full house one of the best high school stadiums in the state.

As a player, playing at Belvidere way back in the day in the semi-finals. At time in my life, I thought Belvidere was on the other end of the earth. Another example of a whole town showing up. The stands were packed and felt like the crowd was right on top of you.

All great venues and another I would add is Wilmington

Some of my favorites in no particular order

Mt. Carmel - Downstate. The snake pit is a great venue. Great atmosphere.

Fulton- Nothing too unique IMO except the locomotive that went around the track after a Steamer touchdown.

Carthage Illini-West - Just a fun trip. Great times at "The Wood" before and after the game.

Reactions: RockSoup
Marion(way down south) has a unique setup and an awesome field, even with a field goal net.
Edwardsville doesn’t have a track around their field, which allows the stands to be closer to the field than anywhere I’ve been before.
Mascoutah can also get pretty wild and since they are right next to Scott Air Force base, they do a lot of cool things for the national anthem. Typically, they have a flag color guard pregame and often have live singing of the anthem. I’ve never seen as many fireworks as they lit off for the anthem prior to the semifinals with Rochester in ‘19. They also had a pregame thing where the players held hands with police, firefighters, and EMS a couple years back that made it to a few national media outlets.
SHG was a very nice facility, much better than the other school in their conference I visited

LaSalle/Peru- hands down the best road playoff atmosphere I've ever experienced. Huge tailgating scene most of the day and a full house one of the best high school stadiums in the state.

As a player, playing at Belvidere way back in the day in the semi-finals. At time in my life, I thought Belvidere was on the other end of the earth. Another example of a whole town showing up. The stands were packed and felt like the crowd was right on top of you.

Agree that LaSalle Peru on a big semifinal game Saturday afternoon was as good as it will ever get. I still get chills just thinking of how cool that environment was in 2003. Been to a few Friday night regular season games at that stadium too. And it’s very cool and probably the neatest setting in the state. But putting the huge crowd, big game, Saturday afternoon environment is what made it.

Reactions: USD24
Agree that LaSalle Peru on a big semifinal game Saturday afternoon was as good as it will ever get. I still get chills just thinking of how cool that environment was in 2003. Been to a few Friday night regular season games at that stadium too. And it’s very cool and probably the neatest setting in the state. But putting the huge crowd, big game, Saturday afternoon environment is what made it.
They actually have seating on visitor side now and field turf also

Reactions: JCHillmen

I've been to all you mentioned with the exception of Geneseo, and all were great.

One I'd add was Normal Community in the 2007 6A semi-finals. This one was more the atmosphere for the game, as opposed to the venue, although the venue was very nice. Normal was on a 26-game winning streak, but that 2007 JCA team was very talented. JCA dominated from the opening kickoff. It was one of the most enjoyable and satisfying playoff experiences I can recall.

Most electric game atmospheres I've been to were the 2005 Morris/JCA game you mentioned and the 2001 R-B/JCA game at R-B. In retrospect, those games harken back to a different era with the overflow crowds and pre-game hype.

Reactions: rjjtwest and USD24
I've been to all you mentioned with the exception of Geneseo, and all were great.

One I'd add was Normal Community in the 2007 6A semi-finals. This one was more the atmosphere for the game, as opposed to the venue, although the venue was very nice. Normal was on a 26-game winning streak, but that 2007 JCA team was very talented. JCA dominated from the opening kickoff. It was one of the most enjoyable and satisfying playoff experiences I can recall.

Most electric game atmospheres I've been to were the 2005 Morris/JCA game you mentioned and the 2001 R-B/JCA game at R-B. In retrospect, those games harken back to a different era with the overflow crowds and pre-game hype.
I would add the 1999 JC/Morris game at Memorial Stadium to the list of most electric game atmospheres. Beautiful day, two undefeated teams, local rivalry, 10,000 people at the stadium. That pre game tailgate rivaled some college venues.

Last edited:
Every single time we played at LP in high school there were fights on the field. It was usually one of our only wins too.

Lasalle Perus Howard Fellows Stadium is a true pleasure, I got to play there a few games in Jr Tackle.

Got another one from the old NCIC as well.. anyone play a game up I-39 from LP at Mendota? I’m talking about their old stadium but it was right in the middle of a residential neighborhood, surrounded by houses on 3 sides. Was a bowl type atmosphere and before the game the school band would march about 8 blocks down from the HS… with beat getting louder and louder as they approached the stadium. Always a packed house, I will truly miss that stadium.

Peoria Notre Dame. Not sure if they still play at Memorial Stadium. Rochester played them there in 2012. A very cool old school stadium. Bonus points because the PA played I’m Shipping up to Boston before kickoffs.

Herrin. My son and I made the three hour trek for the semifinals to Southern Illinois. Got there an hour before the game and had to park 1/2 mile from the stadium. Great press box. Seemed like the whole town was already in their seats. One of the few times I’ve seen Rochester act rattled on the road, going 3 and out, fumble, and fumble on their 3 first drives.

Bishop Mac 2018. Got to love a field next to a bowling alley. Half time just long enough for an adult beverage. Big and very enthusiastic home crowd for this semi final game even with lousy weather. Many fans on the track or in the end zone moving back and forth during the game to get a better view.

Mascoutah. Really nice stadium and turf field and as Formicidae 13 pointed out good involvement of law enforcement and military.

Peoria Notre Dame. Not sure if they still play at Memorial Stadium. Rochester played them there in 2012. A very cool old school stadium. Bonus points because the PA played I’m Shipping up to Boston before kickoffs.

Herrin. My son and I made the three hour trek for the semifinals to Southern Illinois. Got there an hour before the game and had to park 1/2 mile from the stadium. Great press box. Seemed like the whole town was already in their seats. One of the few times I’ve seen Rochester act rattled on the road, going 3 and out, fumble, and fumble on their 3 first drives.

Bishop Mac 2018. Got to love a field next to a bowling alley. Half time just long enough for an adult beverage. Big and very enthusiastic home crowd for this semi final game even with lousy weather. Many fans on the track or in the end zone moving back and forth during the game to get a better view.

Mascoutah. Really nice stadium and turf field and as Formicidae 13 pointed out good involvement of law enforcement and military.
I remember going to a game there a while back and there was an RV parked just behind the endzone where people tailgated throughout the game. Agree, its a fun atmosphere to watch a game.

The first playoff game I ever went to was CoM at Princeton in 1998. One funny thing I remember was driving into town and seeing signs that said "Beat Mundelein". Nice town.

Have seen a few great ones, but my favorite was the 2019 semis at Willowbrook against Mt. Carmel. 10,000 plus in attendance the school said. Was very proud of Villa Park and Lombard that day.

Reactions: stl705
2009 jca at Peoria richwoods for me as a player. Watching them do their little tee-pee pile was amusing. 2010 game never happened…

Reactions: rjjtwest
Does that mean they fixed the one endzone where the corner went uphill significantly?
Yep.....on side note it's strange going to a game at Morris now sitting on the west side of the field and not seeing the giant crown in the middle of the field since they installed turf.

LaSalle/Peru- hands down the best road playoff atmosphere I've ever experienced. Huge tailgating scene most of the day and a full house. One of the best high school stadiums in the state.

As a player, playing at Belvidere way back in the day in the semi-finals. At that time in my life, I thought Belvidere was on the other end of the earth. Another example of a whole town showing up. The stands were packed and felt like the crowd was right on top of you.

Were you on the JCA team in 87?

Reactions: USD24
For some no-frills, straight-up playoff football, give me Gately Stadium on a cold, overcast November Saturday afternoon.

Several years ago, Rita at Harlem near Rockford. Very nice atmosphere. Akui had a great game.

The state title run when Rita played at St. Charles North.

Sat on the host Hubbard Greyhound's side in Round 2 at Gately. TK went for the two points after scoring with no time remaining and won 29 - 28, if my memory is correct. Great game.

What makes a bad playoff venue? :)

I’ve always enjoyed kaneland playoff games. Pretty cool games on Saturday nights vs Montini. Kaneland coming out to Back in Black is awesome

Reactions: McEvergreen
What makes a bad playoff venue? :)

I’ve always enjoyed kaneland playoff games. Pretty cool games on Saturday nights vs Montini. Kaneland coming out to Back in Black is awesome
Went to several Kaneland games when Fleck was there. Awesome fans and a great place to watch a game.

Morris in the DD era was a lot of fun. Place was always packed and games were always physical.

1980's Peoria Richwoods. Rod Butler always had great teams. The whole place reeked of greatness.

Hall in the 90's. Stands right on top of the sidelines and the fans hated outsiders. If you weren't from Spring Valley, you always wondered if you would get out alive.

Metamora when Pat Ryan was there. Great place, great fans, great food and great high school football.

Actually not a fan. Visiting Fans are sooo far away from the field.
I could see that. Track, fence, then metal bleachers set back. Can’t say I’ve ever sat back there but can’t imagine it’s a great view of the game. I’d take the home side view of the campus as one of the best in the state though.

Reactions: RockSoup
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT