ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

It's all my fault folks, I went ahead and actually got excited about a Bear game. Shoulda known better. Invited my son over, got some wings and other snacks, then watched a big huge flop. Totally outplayed in ALL aspects of the game. No idea where they go from here.

• Haha
Reactions: LTHSALUM76
I saw a stat yesterday after the game. On 4 of the five sacks he had 2.7 seconds to get rid of the ball. On the fifth sack he had under 2. I don’t know a QB in this league that can survive that.

That game summed up the season. His skill set is to not sit in the pocket. And yet with two offensive linemen out including his center, he had 3 designed roll outs, 3! How is that taking your QB’s skill set to its max?

Green Bay on 71% of their plays yesterday went max protect. The Bears? 4%.

Tell me again how it was on the QB for that loss yesterday?

I’ve seen middle school coaches orchestrate a better game plan than that.

Maybe he’s gone, maybe not. But there isn’t a QB past or present that could’ve succeeded yesterday in that offense.
Didn’t say the loss was on him yesterday.

What I will say is the Bears can get better at QB this off-season and they should.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Not very good.

Getsy/Fields was never a good pairing.

Two things can be true at the same time. Bears have bad offensive coaching and can get better at QB.
If you admit Getsy is also the problem then how do you know Fields is also the issue? If they get an OC who can game plan around Fields strengths and is even halfway competent this team is a contender.

The offensive coaching yesterday was trumped by the defensive coaching. Choosing to sit back and let this kid pick you apart when your secondary was down a pro bowler is really bad coaching and preparation.

Reactions: 4Afan
The offensive coaching yesterday was trumped by the defensive coaching. Choosing to sit back and let this kid pick you apart when your secondary was down a pro bowler is really bad coaching and preparation.
Totally agree, I don't think the Bears blitzed more than 3 times all game.

If you admit Getsy is also the problem then how do you know Fields is also the issue? If they get an OC who can game plan around Fields strengths and is even halfway competent this team is a contender.
Do you watch the all 22 film?

Let me ask this. If you swapped Fields for Love would the result have been different?

I don't think so since the bears wedominated on both sides of the line.

You build a team from the inside out and for this draft I would trade down, get MHJ and draft linemen with all ofther picks.

Final thoughts on the Bears 2023 season.

First, it amazes me that some people here don't have heart issues or have been diagnosed as bipolar with the extreme swings that have happened throughout the year. The team starts 0-4 and people want to take a match to Halas Hall and burn it all down and start over. Then they level off and win 5 out of 7 games through November and December and all of a sudden it changes to hey, this team isn't so bad and they're putting it together and they're only a few pieces away from being a contender. Then yesterday happens and it's back to tear it all down and they need so much in order to be competitive. It's a long season, you need to remain calm and even keel or you'll go crazy.

In my eyes this team is still only a few pieces away from being a contender. I don't know what happened with the coaching and a lack of any semblance of a game plan. People are complaining about the OL, which was an issue, but you also have to remember that one of their starters went down early. Also, Romo mentioned after one of the sacks that GB twists with their DL more than any other team in the league so why didn't the Bears factor that into their protection schemes? I swear all they do is copy and paste their game plan from one week to the next and don't factor in who they're playing whatsoever. The DL couldn't get pressure, so I don't know, how about throw in a blitz here and there?! Other than that the defense did enough to win. This was the only game all year GB won when scoring 17 or fewer.

For the season, they went from 3 wins to 7, which could have easily been 10 wins. There's been improvement, most notably on the defensive side of the ball. If they can continue that growth the defense will keep them in every game next year. The offense is terrible, Getsy has got to go, he still calls a game like Aaron Rodgers is the QB. I'm fairly intelligent, but there is no chance that I should be able to call out the majority of the Bears plays on a consistent basis when watching the games. If I can do that, imagine what the team they're playing can do.

I feel that Fields is the most polarizing QB the Bears have ever had, half the fan base wants to stick with him and the other half can't stand him. I honestly fall somewhere in the middle. He should be farther along in his advancement after year 3, but at the same time I would have liked to see what he would have looked like if his progress this year wasn't interrupted by missing 4 games in the middle of the season. Can he or should he be better at this point in his career? More than likely. Has he been put in the best situation? Absolutely not. For those of you who want to replace him, which rookie QB is going to come in and perform better? This year he had DJ and Kmet that he could reliably go to, and then who? Mooney was 3rd on the team in receiving with 414 yards and no one outside of DJ or Kmet had more than one receiving TD. Forget rookies, name me any QB that would be put in the Bears situation this year and be successful.

Going into the offseason the Bears currently have $64 million in cap space which is still top 10 in the league, so they have money to spend. They need to extend Johnson for sure, other than that it's too early to say who they should go after because we don't know who will be available. That being said I would like them to go after an interior DL, depth on the OL, depth in the secondary, and a safety to replace Jackson who needs to be fired into the sun.

For a quick positional breakdown, here's what I got.

QB- If they get a new OC, I say stick with Fields.
RB- I'm happy with Herbert and Johnson. I think they can be a good tandem.
WR- Let Mooney walk as he was basically non existent this year. I want them to draft Harrison at #1, but if they trade it then look for Nabers or Odunze to be available. Maybe pick up another WR in free agency depending on who's out there.
TE- Love Kmet. Maybe resign Tonyan who is a good blocker or find another back up in free agency or the middle of the draft.
OL- Needs a starting Center and depth. Other than that they weren't as bad as people here think they were. Wright was one of the best RTs in the game as a rookie. Jenkins just needs to stay healthy and he's turning into a great option at Guard. Jones has been a great find at LT. Davis needs to stay healthy to have a real opinion on him. All of these injuries is why I say they need depth but for the handful of games all the starters were healthy they were a solid unit.

DL- needs at least one more solid DT, possibly in the middle of the draft. I want the Bears to use their other 1st round pick on the best Edge available. I like Turner or Verse.
LB- I like the core they have there and they stayed healthy for the most part.
DB- Extend Johnson. Get rid of Jackson. Hopefully they can find someone to trade him too so it's not cap hit like they would take if they cut him. I like Brisker, Gordon, and Stevenson so maybe look to add some depth.

Coaches- Getsy's gotta go. I think Eberflus needs to go based on his entire body of work. If you want to make the argument to keep him because of the improvement of the defense I can respect that. So who do they bring in? My top choice for HC would be the Lions OC, Ben Johnson who has done good things up in Detroit or the OC from Houston. If they keep Eberflus, I would like the Eagles OC/QB coach to be brought in or maybe the Ravens QB coach, Tee Martin. If Eberflus is kept he would oversee the defense but he still needs to bring in a solid DC who has the same defensive philosophy as he does. Possibly someone off his previous staff.

Poles is going about the rebuild the right way, it just takes patients, it doesn't happen over night. If they can get a WR, a Center, and an Edge this team is a playoff team, especially given next year's schedule. Won't know the dates until around the time of the draft but here is who they play and where next year.

Home
  • Detroit Lions
  • Green Bay Packers
  • Minnesota Vikings
  • Los Angeles Rams
  • Seattle Seahawks
  • Jacksonville Jaguars
  • Tennessee Titans
  • Carolina Panthers
  • New England Patriots
Away
  • Detroit Lions
  • Green Bay Packers
  • Minnesota Vikings
  • Arizona Cardinals
  • San Francisco 49ers
  • Houston Texans
  • Indianapolis Colts
  • Washington Commanders

The Chicago Bears are on the clock...

Center, Left guard Left tackle and move jenkins to right tackle
What? Wright was one of the best RT's in the league as a rookie. If you like Jenkins as a tackle then why wouldn't you leave him at guard where he's been more successful?

Do you watch the all 22 film?
Let me guess you're gonna tell me there was someone streaking wide open on one of the times he was sacked and barely had 2 seconds to throw the ball. Other than that he only had 5 incompletions. I can show you the all 22 from every team and find throws that all QBs missed.

Defense really gave up 27 points.
-missed FG
-bad clock management at half in FG range
-Melton TD overturned to FG

7-11 on 3rd downs. Couldn’t get off the field

And an inexplicable misunderstanding about what an offense can do 2nd and 13 from the two after blowing up 1st down.

Flus was embarrassingly outcoached
The scoreboard said the defense gave up 17 points and that's all that counts. What an embarrassment that game was yesterday. Talk about mailing one in. And I will remind everyone once again...the Bears went 1-7 this year against teams that had winning percentages of .500 or better. So, my judgement isn't based on the final game. The final game further solidified changes need to be made.

Eberflus, Getsy and Fields all need to go. You trade Fields and get a second round pick. Then you take Harrison with the first pick. Then you take Penix with the second first round pick. Then you use the acquired second round pick to get an O lineman. I don't know if the Bears have a second, second round pick or not. If so, you use that pick for another O lineman or a D lineman.

This was just another season of many that the Bears have sucked in for 31 years. A few good years in that time. But a whole bunch of sh*tty years. Same old thing...different people in coaching and players positions.

It's all my fault folks, I went ahead and actually got excited about a Bear game. Shoulda known better. Invited my son over, got some wings and other snacks, then watched a big huge flop. Totally outplayed in ALL aspects of the game. No idea where they go from here.
Well as long as the food was good it wasn't a total loss. Right? I had a few bloody marys and saw what I thought I might see. But I didn't think it was going to be that bad. At least I held true to my pledge to never post after drinking a few adult beverages. 😄

Can't say I agree with the thought regarding Jenkins. There are several reports saying he is playing guard at an All Pro level. Why mess with that? Didn't they do that with Long? I don't recall it turning out well.

Let me guess you're gonna tell me there was someone streaking wide open on one of the times he was sacked and barely had 2 seconds to throw the ball. Other than that he only had 5 incompletions. I can show you the all 22 from every team and find throws that all QBs missed.
question remains...do you watch the all 22 for the bears games this season?

question remains...do you watch the all 22 for the bears games this season?

I know what you are saying but all QBs are going to miss open WRs. Our QB needs to improve.

Should there be another grade for QB speed and when they should have taken off and run?

Those sacks yesterday happened so fast.

I know what you are saying but all QBs are going to miss open WRs. Our QB needs to improve.

Should there be another grade for QB speed and when they should have taken off and run?

Those sacks yesterday happened so fast.
That’s not why I’m saying at all. I don’t have issues with him missing Wr’s. That’s part of the game.

But all throughout the year there have been guys running open that he just doesn’t throw to. He takes off running for no reason.

There are numerous times where he doesn’t check the protection and gets sacked. Ala first play of the Vikings game he got smoked bc they brought 6 and the bears were in empty and only had 5 blockers.

Some things you can only see when you watch the all 22 and you don’t notice when watching live.

QB School
This guy offers the best all 22 film breakdown out there - IMO. I’ve watched more every Fields breakdown from the year. For anyone curious on Fields as a QB…watch this guys breakdown.

Reactions: Wassup13
I have some questions. I agree that 21 or 22 pass attempts does seem like a very low number in the NFL. The game was close the whole way. Did the Bears think they could win by running the ball over the pass? Or is it possible the organization already has made a decision about Fields? Are they planning on trading him and didn't want to see him get hurt? I mean no passes thrown in the whole 3rd quarter? Or did they not trust him back there? I mean what the hell?

I am not an NFL scout or coach. Never have been. But when I watched Jordan Love and Justin Fields play yesterday I saw one glaring difference. Numbers are one thing. But in those two I saw one QB throwing with confidence and the other one wasn't. Not the first time I have seen that this year either.

And another FYI as far as numbers go. Before the game yesterday Jordan Love had thrown for more yards this season than any Bears QB in a season in franchise history. Let that sink in and then tell me which QB from yesterday is better.

I have some questions. I agree that 21 or 22 pass attempts does seem like a very low number in the NFL. The game was close the whole way. Did the Bears think they could win by running the ball over the pass? Or is it possible the organization already has made a decision about Fields? Are they planning on trading him and didn't want to see him get hurt? I mean no passes thrown in the whole 3rd quarter? Or did they not trust him back there? I mean what the hell?

I am not an NFL scout or coach. Never have been. But when I watched Jordan Love and Justin Fields play yesterday I saw one glaring difference. Numbers are one thing. But in those two I saw one QB throwing with confidence and the other one wasn't. Not the first time I have seen that this year either.

And another FYI as far as numbers go. Before the game yesterday Jordan Love had thrown for more yards this season than any Bears QB in a season in franchise history. Let that sink in and then tell me which QB from yesterday is better.

In all honesty if they made a decision either way you could argue he shouldn't have played.

Let me ask this. If you swapped Fields for Love would the result have been different?

I don't think so since the bears wedominated on both sides of the line.

You build a team from the inside out and for this draft I would trade down, get MHJ and draft linemen with all ofther picks.
And double down and snag a QB if you can.

Exactly and I will add the USC QB and Mayes are not ready either.

Keep Fields and don't waste your draft pick on this QB class. It stinks!
Watching the national championship neither of these qb are ready to be a first round draft choice
The recency bias is commical around here. You're basing this on one game. People were in love with Penix after the Texas game.

The recency bias is commical around here. You're basing this on one game. People were in love with Penix after the Texas game.
I’m not necessarily gonna disagree here, but I will say this. None of this upcoming rookie QB class is ready to get behind center for the current Bears team.

Reactions: Gene K.
I’m not necessarily gonna disagree here, but I will say this. None of this upcoming rookie QB class is ready to get behind center for the current Bears team.
Fields isn't the guy, not one QB in this draft is the guy, so who is this mythical, magical QB that should be the next Bears QB?

Fields isn't the guy, not one QB in this draft is the guy, so who is this mythical, magical QB that should be the next Bears QB?
Nobody - without the scheme and supporting cast.
I’m not trying to diminish the play of talented QBs, but the successful ones are in a situation where many of their peers would be successful also.
I’d rather keep Fields

Matt LaFleur after going 10-0 with the Bears.

Against the Bears? Unless the Bears are pulling a Craig Counsell.
True ... would you move D Wright or to RG? D Wright wore down as the season wore on and also looked as "short-armed" as that local kid many didn't want to take in the draft.

Praise baby Jesus, Getsy got fired!

Eberflus to stay after "extensive meeting". We'll never know what was said but hopefully it was something along the lines of Eberflus saying he'll do whatever is needed to pull his head out of his arse and get it together.

• Haha
Praise baby Jesus, Getsy got fired!

Eberflus to stay after "extensive meeting". We'll never know what was said but hopefully it was something along the lines of Eberflus saying he'll do whatever is needed to pull his head out of his arse and get it together.
If you need to have an extensive meeting to decide to keep your coach your decision should already be made as to if you keep him. Also one of the most important things a coach does is pick his staff and after two years how many of them have been fired? The Bears are making a huge organizational decision with a rent a coach, will be hilarious when they bring in a new coach next year and he doesn’t want who ever the QB is….lol

Reactions: RockSoup
If you need to have an extensive meeting to decide to keep your coach your decision should already be made as to if you keep him. Also one of the most important things a coach does is pick his staff and after two years how many of them have been fired? The Bears are making a huge organizational decision with a rent a coach, will be hilarious when they bring in a new coach next year and he doesn’t want who ever the QB is….lol
Normally I would tend to agree with you, but this instance is different because Eberflus wasn't Poles' guy so they needed to have these discussions to make sure they're on the same page. I think he needed to outline his plan going forward and I'm sure names were thrown around for OC and DC that may have played into this.

I'm not an Eberflus fan and think he should have gone too, but then that likely means Fields is gone too and you're starting over at square 1 again.

A QB/HC failing for 2-3 years, firing everyone, and starting over has been the Bears MO for the better part of 20 years and it obviously hasn't worked. I'm willing to give at least one more year to see what happens. With what they have going on defense, two 1st round picks, a good chunk of cap space, and on paper what looks like a favorable schedule this is a playoff team next year.

I'm not an Eberflus fan and think he should have gone too, but then that likely means Fields is gone too and you're starting over at square 1 again.
I still think Fields could be gone, and could be a great selling point for the new OC. Tell the OC they have 100% control of the offense, and give them the shiny new toy to build it around.

Keep Fields, and it's yet another offensive system for him to learn. Also, if they keep Fields and he doesn't improve next season, and it's another 6-11/7-10/8-9 type season, they are probably firing Eberflus and moving on from Fields. Then it's back to square 1 with a #10-ish draft pick, not #1.

No matter how it goes, there will be 1000 draft/QB predictions leading up to the draft. Should be fun to watch at least.

Did any of you watch the Bears press conference with Poles & Eberflus? It was tough to witness. Poles seemed to be reeling a bit but Eberflus came off as a complete idiot. Very embarrassing as a Bears fan that he is our coach. There was nothing he said to instill confidence that he knows what he is doing. They fired all his offensive coaches he hired. Why is he still our coach? Terrible.
I also so no commitment by Poles that Fields is our guy. I think we might draft a QB. I could be wrong but I could be right.
I just hope we don’t screw this up with the #1 & #9 picks in the first round. If they don’t get Harrison or Odumze from Washington I will be very pissed!

Last edited:
Reactions: kkhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT