ADVERTISEMENT

Bears, Kareem Hunt

LTHSALUM76

Aug 27, 2014
I am sure we have seen articles in both Chicago papers during the last two days about the Bears possibly showing some interest in Kareem Hunt. I think we all know the circumstances surrounding Hunt.

My question is this: What are your thoughts on the possibility of the Bears pursuing Hunt? I am kind of on the fence. I see both sides of the argument. I also think Nagy wants to bring him to Chicago.

Should they go after Hunt? Should they go after Hunt when the dust settles and he pays whatever penalty he has to pay? I am very interested in your thoughts.

I am sure we have seen articles in both Chicago papers during the last two days about the Bears possibly showing some interest in Kareem Hunt. I think we all know the circumstances surrounding Hunt.

My question is this: What are your thoughts on the possibility of the Bears pursuing Hunt? I am kind of on the fence. I see both sides of the argument. I also think Nagy wants to bring him to Chicago.

Should they go after Hunt? Should they go after Hunt when the dust settles and he pays whatever penalty he has to pay? I am very interested in your thoughts.

Never, ever.

Hunt obviously has some type of substance abuse problem. Coupled with his propensity to use physical force on others (probably while high) at this point I hope the Bears do not pursue this guy. KC tossed this guy because he was truthful when asked about the incident. The NFL should suspend Hunt for a complete season. If he got some type of major help and stayed clean for a season I suspect that some NFL team will pick him up. Hopefully not the Bears as they don't need the distractions he would bring to the team.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
I'm on the fence as well. Where do you draw the line in giving guys second chances?

I suspect Nagy is interested. I read in the Tribune that he's already reached out to Hunt. Supposedly, they spoke about how Hunt was doing personally. Nagy knows how to play the game. I don't think he reaches out to Hunt if there wasn't any interest. I also suspect Nagy is looking to upgrade at RB. Jordan Howard is strictly a between-the-tackles RB. He is incapable of running outside the tackles and is not a great fit for Nagy's offense. The Bears need to improve their running game next year, whether it's Hunt or someone else, I suspect they will be moving on from Jordan Howard.

Hope they sign him for no other reseason then I will get a good laugh at the people who just a month ago said they would never support or watch the Bears if they signed this guy, guess what they will still be watching.

Hunt obviously has some type of substance abuse problem. Coupled with his propensity to use physical force on others (probably while high) at this point I hope the Bears do not pursue this guy. KC tossed this guy because he was truthful when asked about the incident. The NFL should suspend Hunt for a complete season. If he got some type of major help and stayed clean for a season I suspect that some NFL team will pick him up. Hopefully not the Bears as they don't need the distractions he would bring to the team.
Gene. I am assuming in your third sentence you meant to say Hunt wasn't truthful to KC, correct?

I am by no means defending Hunt or what he did. But, I can't think of anyone who, if they did something like this and thought there was no video evidence, would tell the truth about it. Especially in today's world. Hunt had to know telling the truth would sink his career. At least he suspected as much. So, he rolled the dice with a lie and lost.

Let's be honest: the Chiefs cut Hunt because they at least felt they could get the same, or as close to the same production out of another running back. They were not cutting Pat Mahomes if he had Hunt's history.

So I just hope people don't think there's a moral standard set by Andy Reid & Co. when it comes to this specific player.

Reactions: Gene K.
IMO the Chiefs didn't have any choice but to cut Hunt and used the "he lied to us" as an excuse. The Bears would have a ton of crap thrown the way from the media and fans if they signed Hunt after what he did. I also believe in second chances but it's not like this guys was already on the Bears and screwed up big time. He was a 3rd round draft choice and if the Chiefs didn't want to give him a second chance maybe they know something more about his character than they are letting on.

Also a lot of people are saying the Bears could pick up a quality running back via trade, free agency or the draft instead of going after Hunt. Feel sorry for Hunt in a way as he has a problem with probably anger and alcohol but unfortunately for Hunt we currently live in a society where abusing women is not tolerated. I wonder what precipitated his outburst and who were involved as from all I have seen there was no complaint filed after the incident

I am also on the fence about Hunt, probably leaning toward NO. But I have watched that video several times and a couple of the associated videos and I am always left with the same thought "There is something very very fishy about that whole situation and the video".

Hunt is toxic like Kaepernick. Not worth the headache.
I think those situations are different. Hunt's act was abhorrent. But he is at least trying to apologize and do whatever it takes to move ahead and make it right.

Kaepernick offers no apology. I am not saying he broke any laws. But he definitely offended a whole bunch of people.

With that said, both will offer a distraction.

I will predict this. Hunt will play in the NFL again. No idea when or with who. But I think he will play. Kaepernick is done.

I think those situations are different. Hunt's act was abhorrent. But he is at least trying to apologize and do whatever it takes to move ahead and make it right.

Kaepernick offers no apology. I am not saying he broke any laws. But he definitely offended a whole bunch of people.

With that said, both will offer a distraction.

I will predict this. Hunt will play in the NFL again. No idea when or with who. But I think he will play. Kaepernick is done.
I guess distraction is a better term than toxic. I’m saying with either guy or other problematic guys for that matter you’re better off without them.

Reactions: Gene K. and go dogz
Man, the Hunt and Kaep situations couldn't be more different. I get there is disagreement about Kaep's actions, but there really shouldnt be any disagreement about Hunt's.

I guess there's some "distraction" parallel, but Kaep is the last example I'd think of when drawing Hunt examples.

Want nothing with Hunt on the Bears.

Reactions: mchsalumni
Man, the Hunt and Kaep situations couldn't be more different. I get there is disagreement about Kaep's actions, but there really shouldnt be any disagreement about Hunt's.

I guess there's some "distraction" parallel, but Kaep is the last example I'd think of when drawing Hunt examples.

Want nothing with Hunt on the Bears.
It’s really not about whether their situations are similar. It’s about a player that would draw attention to them and away from the team. Da Bears don’t need it. Hell I’m not even happy about Parkey going on the Today Show and drawing attention. He’s lucky the season was over at that point.

The more I read the papers, the more I think the Bears may make Kareen Hunt an offer, IF everything gets ironed out with him. George McCaskey is not say yes, but he isn't saying no either. Hmmmm.

I still think we are a long way from this happening. I think the Ray McDonald issue still haunts McCaskey and ultimately I feel like that kills this deal. Pretty interesting interview on the score with him yesterday.

Does the #MeToo movement have a history of mobilizing in protest of this kind of signing that could prove to be a PR nightmare for the Bears?

I still think we are a long way from this happening. I think the Ray McDonald issue still haunts McCaskey and ultimately I feel like that kills this deal. Pretty interesting interview on the score with him yesterday.
The difference between the Ray McDonald and Kareem Hunt situations is that no one within the Bears organization spent significant time with McDonald, prior to the Bears' signing him. With Hunt, Nagy spent a year with him in the Chiefs' organization. The McCaskeys may (I said may) value Nagy's personal experience enough to sign Hunt, if Nagy vouches for him.

McCaskey said these are two different situations and that they take each separately.

I hear what all you guys are saying about staying away from Hunt. And I tend to agree with you.

However, I just have to ask myself what if...

What if he were given a second chance with some team and he made the most of it through his on the field production and his off the field actions? What if he kept his nose clean and never got in trouble for the rest of his career? What if he does the above with a team other than the Bears...do we regret not being the ones to give him a second chance?

Who better than Nagy to be the coach that gives him that chance and guides him back to the straight and narrow?

I completely understand that the what if game can be played the other way. What if the Bears sign him and he returns to his d-bag ways? Totally get that.

Assuming he will ultimately play again in the NFL, I guess the ultimate question to be asked is if the Bears want to be the team to offer him a chance at redemption.

I hear what all you guys are saying about staying away from Hunt. And I tend to agree with you.

However, I just have to ask myself what if...

What if he were given a second chance with some team and he made the most of it through his on the field production and his off the field actions? What if he kept his nose clean and never got in trouble for the rest of his career? What if he does the above with a team other than the Bears...do we regret not being the ones to give him a second chance?

Who better than Nagy to be the coach that gives him that chance and guides him back to the straight and narrow?

I completely understand that the what if game can be played the other way. What if the Bears sign him and he returns to his d-bag ways? Totally get that.

Assuming he will ultimately play again in the NFL, I guess the ultimate question to be asked is if the Bears want to be the team to offer him a chance at redemption.
Sure, who doesn’t believe in giving guys second chances? But, the NFL is a business and it should be a privilege to play not a right. Ultimately it’s going to come down to Mr. McCaskey or whoever wants to invest their money on the guy. Business is about getting returns, not charity.

Reactions: go dogz
Sure, who doesn’t believe in giving guys second chances? But, the NFL is a business and it should be a privilege to play not a right. Ultimately it’s going to come down to Mr. McCaskey or whoever wants to invest their money on the guy. Business is about getting returns, not charity.

Not suggesting that the Bears' business should be about charity. Nor am I suggesting that Hunt has a right to play anywhere. What I am saying is that some team will give him that second chance. What he does with it is the big unknown at this point. If he makes the most of it, then those teams that chose not to give him that second chance may wind up regretting that decision. If he falls back into his old ways, then the team that gives him that failed second chance will be the one doing the regretting, and the ones who took a pass on him will be vindicated for doing so.

Since you want to talk about business, business is also about taking calculated risks. Hunt is clearly a risk. He's also a risk that some team will ultimately take.

Last edited:
Not suggesting that the Bears' business should be about charity. Nor am I suggesting that Hunt has a right to play anywhere. What I am saying is that some team will give him that second chance. What he does with it is the big unknown at this point. If he makes the most of it, then those teams that chose not to give him that second chance may wind up regretting that decision. If he falls back into his old ways, then the team that gives him that failed second chance will be the one doing the regretting, and the ones who took a pass on him will be vindicated for doing so.

Since you want to talk about business, business is also about taking calculated risks. Hunt is clearly a risk. He's also a risk that some team will ultimately take.
I wish good luck to anyone who takes that chance. A tiger never loses its stripes.

Are you comparing beating up women to smoking crack? Wow. Fine, hire the guy. He’ll be great.

No, I'm saying that there are millions of people (ex-cons, drug addicts, wife beaters, etc.) who have successfully turned their lives around after having been given a chance to do so.

Claiming that a tiger doesn't change his stripes is to claim that people cannot learn from their mistakes.

I can’t root for a woman beater. It would suck to have to root for the Bears but root against that piece of Sh#t.
The Bears don’t need this distraction.

Just saying.

Lions LB Trevor Bates was arrested in NY on charges that he failed to pay a taxi fare and then later punched a police officer, who suffered a concussion. Think he'll get a second chance?

No, I'm saying that there are millions of people (ex-cons, drug addicts, wife beaters, etc.) who have successfully turned their lives around after having been given a chance to do so.

Claiming that a tiger doesn't change his stripes is to claim that people cannot learn from their mistakes.
The comedian, Tim Allen, did a stretch in prison for dealing drugs. Then became wildly successful. Hitting a woman is bad enough. Going to prison is pretty darned bad too.

Remember, Michael Vick went to prison, then got a second chance to play in the NFL.

Lions LB Trevor Bates was arrested in NY on charges that he failed to pay a taxi fare and then later punched a police officer, who suffered a concussion. Think he'll get a second chance?
I've never heard of him so probably not. If he's actually really good though, yea he will (as will Hunt for the same reason). If you're washed up like Rice or just generically replaceable, no, you don't. That is the reality of these things with pro sports.

I can’t root for a woman beater. It would suck to have to root for the Bears but root against that piece of Sh#t.
The Bears don’t need this distraction.

Just saying.
Then you might have to stop rooting for a lot of guys. I am not in total disagreement with you. Like I said, I am on the fence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT