ADVERTISEMENT

Artificial Turf or Grass

Wassup13

Nov 9, 2002
After the Aaron Rodgers injury I am surprised to hear a lot of debate about playing on artificial turf vs grass. There seems to be a push back that grass is safer and maybe the NFL should switch back to grass.

Read David Bakhtiari Twitter page.

What are your thoughts??

Last edited:
After the Aaron Rodgers injury I am surprised to hear a lot of debate about playing on artificial turf vs grass. There seems to be a push back that grass is safer and maybe the NFL should switch back to grass.

What are your thoughts??
grass is 100% safer, and to me, all professional teams should be playing on it. They have the maintenance budgets to deal with it. With the injuries in football, it seems a no-brainer to have grass. Maybe if NFL contracts were more guaranteed, and not year to year, teams might protect their assets better.

Gets trickier at high school level, where you might have multiple football, soccer, lacrosse games, etc every week, and don't really have the ability to fix any issues from week to week.

Rogers is a 39 year old guy who suffered a Pickleball injury.
Foolish on the part of the Jets for making such high leverage move pursuing and obtaining a player at Rogers’ age.
History will look at this in a similar light to nonsensical trade Mike Lynn and the Vikings made for Hershel Walker.

Foolish on the part of the Jets for making such high leverage move pursuing and obtaining a player at Rogers’ age.
History will look at this in a similar light to nonsensical trade Mike Lynn and the Vikings made for Hershel Walker.
They basically gave up a couple 2nd round picks for him. Hardly the same as the Walker trade.

Reactions: AmbroseBlack
….. and the Jets agreed to a $75M guarantee over two years. Today they are where they were before the Rogers trade and out the picks and the money. I really doubt he will ever return.

Reactions: Cross Bones
This is not Pickle ball.
(Photo Credit: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...ved=0CA4QjRxqFwoTCPCD2srapYEDFQAAAAAdAAAAABAI)
BNG-Z-JETS-0912-1.jpg

I remember how anxious I was to see Penn State great RB Curt Warner play in the NFL only to see him blow out his knee on turf. I was so pissed about that and called turf the devil. Protect the players and go grass!

Professional or D1 college it should be mandatory as the money is there to maintain it. Also the technology is there with hybrid fields that have synthetic anchors and that use heat lights. Impossible at the high school level. Also sometimes a poorly maintained grass field can be as dangerous. One good rain followed by a game can lead to hazardous conditions. Glenbard West has needed to move games in the past for that reason.

and yet they complained about the grass at the Super Bowl last year and the Bears grass field is constantly complained about as well. I, personally, preferred playing on grass. As far as the NFL is currently concerned, there is no correlation to turf injuries vs grass injuries.

Reactions: Irishfan90
Rodgers injured by Bears legend, Leonard Floyd.

Is there any data that suggests one is better than the other?

and yet they complained about the grass at the Super Bowl last year and the Bears grass field is constantly complained about as well. I, personally, preferred playing on grass. As far as the NFL is currently concerned, there is no correlation to turf injuries vs grass injuries.
PowerI66. I beg to differ with you on your turf statement regarding correlation to injury. See link below

NFLPA Statement on Slit Film turf and injuries

Lotta people aren’t mentioning JK Dobbins who also tore his Achilles this past weekend - on grass.

I know it’s an equal comparison, but as an official I did a lot of games on grass and on turf - more turf lately but in Virginia there are many more grass fields.

The newer turf fields are great and very easy on an old man’s knees. But a little too spongy.

Grass fields, if kept up well, are far better in my opinion. But that’s the catch, upkeep.

Tennessee and Carolina have both moved to turf because their fields were a disaster at seasons end.

Chicago is brutal. Even Green Bay has had issues with keeping the field in good shape.

Can’t see this becoming a thing forcing to all grass. But part of the meatball in me likes the classic mud bowl look too

I said NFL, not NFLPA. Players say yes, owners and head league doctor say no.
PowerI66 you did say the NFL but while I said NFLPA the data that supports their claim is from “The Sports Medicine Review” it’s statistically more probable to get injuries on Slit Film when compared to grass by 16%.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT