ADVERTISEMENT

Automated Cameras to Stream Games

IgorStL

Nov 6, 2017
Watching the Naz StL JV game before my son's game. What chimp wrote the algorithm to get the camera to "follow the action?" There are literally plays in which the camera is focusing on midfield, and ALL 22 PLAYERS ARE OFF CAMERA. Would it kill you guys to have a person overseeing the filming of games?

My favorite are field goals. Have seen a few where the camera doesn't move with the ball. Left looking at player reactions to see if it went in or not.

My favorite are field goals. Have seen a few where the camera doesn't move with the ball. Left looking at player reactions to see if it went in or not.
This is painful. I can't go to my kid's game, and now I have to watch it on a system that has clearly never been tested.

Watching the Naz StL JV game before my son's game. What chimp wrote the algorithm to get the camera to "follow the action?" There are literally plays in which the camera is focusing on midfield, and ALL 22 PLAYERS ARE OFF CAMERA. Would it kill you guys to have a person overseeing the filming of games?
That was awful. Glad I didn’t pay for it I guess and I know Naz is already on it but come on. If you’re not going to sell tickets you need to come up with a better solution than that automatic camera. I’ll donate the yearly ticket sales I’d pay for me and mine to go to games!

You can get the whole court in on the camera, you cant get the whole Football field in, you need a live person operating the camera for Football. So many missed plays with the camera not following the play its infuriating.
No the camera followed the action on the basketball court flawlessly. Obviously it’s much much easier for the camera to follow the basketball in the much smaller arena then a football outside but it wasn’t just simply a wide shot of the full court. Sadly it was a swing and miss today but there was some sort of technical issue as it sometimes followed the play and sometimes watched the other side of the field. I agree a human filmer would be better.

Simple solution. Have an injured player, underclassman, or volunteer do the live stream camera. Problem solved.

Reactions: Wassup13
Most places it is fine.
You can get the whole court in on the camera, you cant get the whole Football field in, you need a live person operating the camera for Football. So many missed plays with the camera not following the play its infuriating.

Watching Naz on NFHS has always been an issue. Choppy streams plus person on camera forgetting to move the camera. That was all before being automated. Basketball can also be a disaster and I have seen game where the camera was stuck on one basket.

The wide angle shot is nice on obvious pass plays and kicks but needs to have some zoom function. Otherwise it’s like watching from the security cam.

Kenny McReynolds would never let this happen.

Its a lot more difficult to find a reliable competent person to operate the camera than you'd think.

It should be easy. Many people want to go see the game but are not let in.

Offer one of them in to see the game but they need to operate the camera.

Reactions: IgorStL
It's BRUTAL
Simple solution. Have an injured player, underclassman, or volunteer do the live stream camera. Problem solved.
My youngest was too small for football (his mom would not sign off) He was determined to be on the team so on the first day of school back in 2017 he asked the coach what he could do for the team and now he is a senior and is now filming his 4th season of games AND practices. Very proud of him for getting involved, staying involved and contributing! Go Dukes!

I know some schools are using NFHS cameras that are mounted in certain places and are not "manned" at all.

Yes, the automated camera isn't perfect. For schools that don't have broadcast programs, it's a good option. We (Boylan) had problems with our automated camera yesterday and ended up pulling out our camera, computer, Mixer, etc, and doing the game manually. There were two of us doing a four-man job. camera/color and Producer/play-by-play. It wasn't perfect, but we were expecting a large viewing audience so we got it done. Technology is great until it doesn't work. No complaints here. Just enjoying high school football once again!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT