ADVERTISEMENT

Asked opponent to not play starters - Is this true?

IC is really, really beat up

I'll take your, and everyone else's, word for it.

When did all the injuries happen, toward the end of the SF game? Because, despite all those injuries and prior to their one-point loss to SF last weekend, they had a five-game winning streak and had just beaten two teams with traditionally competitive programs.

They might be beat up, but you wouldn't know it from looking at their results so far.

When did all the injuries happen, toward the end of the SF game? Because, despite all those injuries and prior to their one-point loss to SF last weekend, they had a five-game winning streak and had just beaten two teams with traditionally competitive programs.

They might be beat up, but you wouldn't know it from looking at their results so far.
They were just fine last week. Yeah they had a couple guys out, just like every other team in the state.. In my opinion it sounds like a sandbag excuse...

Reactions: CatholicHigh41

The first two weeks don't really count.

I agree with this. Despite the narrow loss last week, their record is better than many (including myself) anticipated at this point.
Loyola will simply be a bridge too far, regardless of IC’s injury status.

Hypothetically speaking, if IC had beat SF last Friday, do they still throw in the towel tonight? Or do they continue to try and build on what would have been a 19 game win streak?

And if they’re hoisting the 3A trophy in November, I don’t think they’ll care much about the LA game. I kinda think that’s what they are aiming for

Reactions: lookoutforliam
And if they’re hoisting the 3A trophy in November, I don’t think they’ll care much about the LA game. I kinda think that’s what they are aiming for
100% they will. Not taking away anything from them.. IC is a very very good football team.. and will win 4A. Would have liked to see two heavyweights duke it out though..

Reactions: lookoutforliam
Hopefully it doesn’t end up looking like the Loyola/Rochester game everyone was pumped to see. Would have been cool to see two fully healthy and loaded squads from far apart classes going to battle.

Hypothetically speaking, if IC had beat SF last Friday, do they still throw in the towel tonight? Or do they continue to try and build on what would have been a 19 game win streak?
Forgot they had such a long winning streak…StF loves nothing more than stopping an IC winning streak apparently (2019’s 40 something game streak and then 18 last week).

Not to make this an StF thread so don’t shoot me, but wild with how good ICs program has been that StF has won 4 out of the last 5 vs. them.

Anyway, I don’t expect ICCP to throw in the towel no matter how banged up they are. They still have probably the 3 best athletes on the field (Karner, Hulak, Parker).

This message board is so silly. Like a program that’s as well coached and built itself into a smaller school power as IC has, is interested in tanking a game lol. They’d just forfeit if that was true and blame it on covid or too many injuries. Show some respect guys.

As far as IC vs StF - I think it’s easily a top 5 rivalry in the state from my viewpoint. MC/Loyola as another. Rochester SGH as a third.

This message board is so silly. Like a program that’s as well coached and built itself into a smaller school power as IC has, is interested in tanking a game lol. They’d just forfeit if that was true and blame it on covid or too many injuries. Show some respect guys.

As far as IC vs StF - I think it’s easily a top 5 rivalry in the state from my viewpoint. MC/Loyola as another. Rochester SGH as a third.
It’s cool how the game has evolved into a big rivalry. Back in the SCC days it was just another conference game. Always important, but no real animosity. Throw in a stint in a conference where for the most part it was a 2 team race and all of a sudden the heat gets turned up.

I didn't even realize it was a rivalry until a few years ago, my old St Francis neighbors always hinted at Montini as the rivals. But then there was a thread maybe two seasons ago that made me smile.

I didn't even realize it was a rivalry until a few years ago, my old St Francis neighbors always hinted at Montini as the rivals. But then there was a thread maybe two seasons ago that made me smile.
StF definitely viewed Montini as their “rival…although it was very one-sided for most of the 21st century (with the exception of 2008 and 2014 where SF won state and made it to the 6A semis, respectively).

SF vs. IC “rivalry” really started in 2019 when SF was the team to break their streak, and supplanted Bishop Mac as their biggest test in the conference.

I also think there’s a level of familiarity there that makes it special…there has been so many changes over the years with conferences (Suburban Catholic became Suburban Christian then SF went to Chicago Catholic then Metro Suburban) but IC has been really the one constant, and the one team on their schedule over all those years that dates back decades. In that sense they kind of only have had each other for the most part along the way, and both programs have blossomed in their respective rights in recent history (although StF has a ways to go before they’ve had the state championship success IC has had)

We never thought about StF back in the day as they weren’t competitive in football. IC and Benet were always circled on the schedule.

• Haha
Reactions: epicbret

Montini's rival in conference was Benet and switched to Driscoll when Benet left the WSCC. It was never St Francis.

Reactions: epicbret
By the way I think a ICCP victory over Loyola would mean more than any 3A or 4A State Title.

Five years ago Montini came back to beat Loyola at Loyola and it meant much more to me than playing in the 5A State Title Game vs JCA later that year.

Reactions: RockSoup
Montini's rival in conference was Benet and switched to Driscoll when Benet left the WSCC. It was never St Francis.
Marian Central and Montini had a run together after Driscoll folded.

I can say from SF’s perspective during the Purnell era through like 2014…SF certainly viewed Montini as a rival (and was competitive in a decent chunk of those games).

Reactions: Gene K.
Marian Central and Montini had a run together after Driscoll folded.

I can say from SF’s perspective during the Purnell era through like 2014…SF certainly viewed Montini as a rival (and was competitive in a decent chunk of those games).

Yes I know Purnell well.

After Driscoll folded i don't think Montini ever felt it had a in conference rival. The only other rival I would say from that point on would be Maine South. Coach Borsello's two kids played for Maine South and Joey attended Montini. Borsellino brought the Maine South offense to Montini and these two schools played some outstanding non conference games against each other.

There were some good games with StF and Woodstock Marian.

For WS Marian I think there was a bigger rival vs the WS referees.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMurph11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT