ADVERTISEMENT

Are Playoffs possible if Football is moved to the Spring?

LovetheDrake2

Jun 23, 2020
If as expected, Football gets moved to the Spring. How will it look like? Do you expect a 6 game season and then shortened playoffs? I think some sort of playoff format is necessary to give these teams a goal to shoot for during an already disappointing situation. If they start games in early-mid March, why can't they play into early June and have a 3 month season? I am sure they can play football the same time baseball and lacrosse have their seasons. Even if they take Soucie's model from a week ago, 7 game season, 2 rounds of playoffs then Championship, that is 10 total weeks. I just think we may need more time and don;'t see how you can have a football season in two months. Thoughts??

Reactions: Luca_Brasi
Anything that interfere with the Spring Sports is not going to be supported by most athletic departments and for good reason. They have to look after all of the sports not just football. I believe if there is a season it will just regular season and no playoffs.

Reactions: Hillini74
If you're a football player who also does track or baseball, and there's no playoffs for football but there is for your other spring sports...and football isn't your ticket...what do you potentially focus on?

I have been hearing a 7 game regular season then spring sports will be shortened by about half as well so like lacrosse would only get 10 games in May and June. So I would guess that no playoffs for any sport, If they move all sports to starting in January. Big Hit to IHSA budget if that happens

That will go over well taking away half of seasons for winter and spring sports too. Especially watching a lot of the country have regular seasons for all with state championship

That will go over well taking away half of seasons for winter and spring sports too. Especially watching a lot of the country have regular seasons for all with state championship
Especially when you consider spring lost an entire season already so they get to play a half of a season in two years. Unless something has changes I believe that every state surrounding Illinois is planning on playing football this fall, either as scheduled or delayed to some extent. Actually drove by a high school in Indiana on Friday morning and they were out practicing with helmets and shoulder pads.

Especially when you consider spring lost an entire season already so they get to play a half of a season in two years. Unless something has changes I believe that every state surrounding Illinois is planning on playing football this fall, either as scheduled or delayed to some extent. Actually drove by a high school in Indiana on Friday morning and they were out practicing with helmets and shoulder pads.
As much as it sucks for baseball kids, they are playing a lot of games now and will through the fall. Doesn’t make up for missing most of your varsity years, but it’s way better than nothing at all

As much as it sucks for baseball kids, they are playing a lot of games now and will through the fall. Doesn’t make up for missing most of your varsity years, but it’s way better than nothing at all

I don't know about baseball, but with lacrosse from what I have seen you are lucky to have 2-3 for every 10 or 15 players are playing club ball at a significant level. The majority are doing it to participate with their friends and have a good time and have no aspirations beyond high school. I think that is what is getting lost in all of this. The vast majority of student athletes that the IHSA is there to provide opportunities in high school is the ONLY opportunity that they are going to have to play a sport they enjoy and have fun playing with their friends before going to college.

This experience was the major decision factors in my son choosing to not leave the state for a private prep school after recruiting him last year. Now we may still go for a PG because of COVID now or at least look at it a bit more seriously, but he wants to finish out his last two years with his classmates.

Reactions: Gene K. and USD24
Start of baseball sucks.

March and April = football

may and June = Baseball

baseball can play games 6 days a week. They can get 40 games in a 6 weeks if they wanted.

this all blows. At least they hopefully get something out of this.

disagree. Put anyone on the mound (freshman B pitcher of need be) and play games.

could be like slow pitch softball with scores in the 20’s.

would be awesome!
I thought they were trying to limit the exposure time in games not lengthen them. Is there a time limit for High School Baseball games? Seems like those games would take forever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT