ADVERTISEMENT

Announcers

Yes, the 1A/2A announcers were terrible, weren't even getting tht names of the towns correct.

3A/4A are better but they have still made their fair share of mistakes.

Absolutely pathetic on the IHSAs part. These guys are here for a paycheck and that is all.

Yes, the 1A/2A announcers were terrible, weren't even getting tht names of the towns correct.

3A/4A are better but they have still made their fair share of mistakes.

Absolutely pathetic on the IHSAs part. These guys are here for a paycheck and that is all.
Maybe I’m “misremembering”, but it seems like they used to at least do a little homework on the teams. And the “analysis” in the early games was all clichés at best.

Hometown radio announcing teams are substantially better than what the IHSA trots out for TV. Agree 100 percent about the overdose of cliches by 1A/2A broadcasters. It's mind-numbing and the sideline reporting is just as mediocre.
An example is TV guys constantly saying something like "this is a big play" or "it all starts in the line", while radio eschews those cliches in favor of providing pertinent data/stats that substantiate particular game situations.
TV guys only have general info (or word of mouth) of teams, whereas radio has intimate knowledge. Not only that, but as I listened to the Freeport station do the Le-Win-Camp Point game, the play-by-play man (Don Werntz) not only knew everything in detail about Le-Win, but you could tell he took the time to research Camp Point, providing interesting tidbits.
If the IHSA wants to increase it entertainment value, I would recommend its TV guys listen to Werntz on how a game should be broadcast.

and whenever a kid does his job, "that's a result of good coaching"
Maybe they’ll get more excited and actually announce as we go up in classes . But I wonder if the announcers would be the same if I watched the game on local tv instead of nfhs

Maybe they’ll get more excited and actually announce as we go up in classes . But I wonder if the announcers would be the same if I watched the game on local tv instead of nfhs
NFHS is just streaming the live broadcast. No difference.

Reactions: doctor_d
How did Rodewald ever do on his quest for an in-state AD job a few years ago or does his broadcasting this weekend answer that question?

Well, Jack McInerney, so much for your halftime analysis , "Tim Racki has an excellent game plan to stop the run".

Well, Jack McInerney, so much for your halftime analysis , "Tim Racki has an excellent game plan to stop the run".
I wonder what adjustments were made at half for Peoria . Probably just told their Oline to step up because they’ve been doing the same thing they were doing in the first half

Announcing is just like officiating. Its not what you know, its who you ..... McInerney needs a double knee replacement.
And you have the facts to back both cases up, or you’re just good at making reckless statements. And isn’t “it’s not what you know but who you know” another worn out cliche’?

How many times do they say “all season long” over the weekend?

I should have turned it into a drinking game.

If they decided to try to call each team by the wrong name they would be better off.

How did Rodewald ever do on his quest for an in-state AD job a few years ago or does his broadcasting this weekend answer that question?

Matt Rodewald is an Emmy Award-winning anchor and reporter who spent nearly 20 years in local news television and sports radio outlets such as NBC 5 Chicago and 670 The Score. For the last 10 years, Rodewald has called play-by-play for a variety of IHSA State Championship events including football, basketball, soccer, and volleyball. As varsity boys track & field coach at Yorkville, Rodewald oversaw the Foxes' highest team finish at the IHSA State Meet in 34 years and was a three-sport athlete at Geneva in football, basketball and track & field.
Looks like some boys basketball as well as Yorkville.

Bernhard is quality IMO!

I wish they would incorporate EDGY!

Rodewold is ok but can’t overcome McInerney’s blathering.
I like Bernhardt. He’s not bad. Lindo is meh but a lot better than Mac.
The female sideline reporter is 1000x better than the other guy, but I will say the other guy is cheerful.

Matt Bowen is an assistant at IC. He probably was a little busy. Dude sounds like Doug Buffone RIP.

Werntz is a freaking pro. He’s been calling high school sports for about 50 years.
The radio stations out there have about 3 different radio stations that do NUIC football games. They do it well. And the talk about what the non conference opponent needs to do to be successful.
Yep. I think it would be good for the IHSA to get the radio guys in there.

Reactions: doctor_d
I’d be 100% for normal radio guys doing the games, but they’d have to pass some kind of test to not home cook it too much. That would be the only hurdle. I get it that equal representation is the goal.

Appreciate all the feedback guys. I have my thoughts on how the weekend went as well. When we meet with the coaches, we have 30 minutes with each school. There's only so much we can get to in that time and yes we can always follow up, but it's a whirlwind of a week for these programs. Pronunciations is one thing that bothers me, so if I got something wrong, I need to know that.

I work for Central 301 now as an administrator, so it kinda worked out. Still, I had to do that full time job and prepare for 8 teams worth of notes when I was off the clock. My wife will tell you that it was 3 AM everyday when I was coming to bed and then back to work at 7am. Preparing for 1 football game takes a ton of time, but 4 in one week?

Keep in mind, there were two schools who refused to provide statistics. I really like to provide context through numbers, but this was a brand new production crew this year. I think it's safe to say they were surprised as the mountain of graphics I was asking them to get together and it didn't work out.

We always want it to get better, and we'll keep working at it. The more feedback the better, I'll pass it along and work to fix it.

Appreciate all the feedback guys. I have my thoughts on how the weekend went as well. When we meet with the coaches, we have 30 minutes with each school. There's only so much we can get to in that time and yes we can always follow up, but it's a whirlwind of a week for these programs. Pronunciations is one thing that bothers me, so if I got something wrong, I need to know that.

I work for Central 301 now as an administrator, so it kinda worked out. Still, I had to do that full time job and prepare for 8 teams worth of notes when I was off the clock. My wife will tell you that it was 3 AM everyday when I was coming to bed and then back to work at 7am. Preparing for 1 football game takes a ton of time, but 4 in one week?

Keep in minI d, there were two schools who refused to provide statistics. I really like to provide context through numbers, but this was a brand new production crew this year. I think it's safe to say they were surprised as the mountain of graphics I was asking them to get together and it didn't work out.

We always want it to get better, and we'll keep working at it. The more feedback the better, I'll pass it along and work to fix it.
Class act. Subject matter expert running this board. That could take a load off of announcers for some of the prep and pregame pre recorded segments. Production has come a long way, appreciate where its headed.

Reactions: Gene K.
Yeah the whole local radio guys argument is understandable but lets face it in many towns (and how many larger schools actually have radio coverage anymore) those local radio guys have known those programs and for decades....then ask them to turn around in a week's time and prepare for say 7 others teams they haven't covered ever. It's a lot harder than it looks and I know I've done both for a bit now. Radio and TV are night and day....radio you have much more time and TV is all 10-15 second snippets

I allow the feedback to a point and because as Matt said it's good feedback in many cases. In other cases I'm not a big fan of openly ripping people who have dedicated decades upon decades of effort (for very little $$$ I might add)....if you don't like someone fine maybe say why? Maybe what you don't like about them or what about the performance in particular you don't like? Otherwise it's more piling on for the sake of piling on....which I grow less and less tolerable with each day.

Keep in mind, there were two schools who refused to provide statistics. I really like to provide context through numbers, but this was a brand new production crew this year. I think it's safe to say they were surprised as the mountain of graphics I was asking them to get together and it didn't work out.

I’d like to apologize for any overly harsh criticisms, and thank you for your role in providing the broadcast.
Bottom line is that this is one of my favorite weekends of the year, and it’s a luxury to be able to watch it all from the comfort of my sofa.

Use the local radio guy or podcasters as guest analysts with the lower seeded team in the 1st quarter and higher seeded team in the 3rd Quarter. I am sure you could find many that would do it for a nominal fee and possibly free. It would also add an opportunity for the schools/community to get more in positive publicity.

They could add more history about the program and more insight to their team and their key players. This also takes the pressure off of the IHSA announcers, which was mentioned by JRode earlier and would make their long days a bit easier.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT