ADVERTISEMENT

93 days to Kickoff: St. Laurence Vikings

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
(just an early taste of what's to come....and you'll find these here first so make sure to check back daily)

St. Laurence Vikings

Head Coach:
Adam Niissen

School Nickname/Mascot:
Vikings

Team Twitter Handle: @STLVikingFB

Conference:
CCL/ESCC Orange

Assistant Coaches:

Scott Johnson, Dominic Riccordino, Tom Dorrance, Brandon DuBoise, Steve Nye, Dan Green

2020 Regular Season schedule (if known):

vs Hyde Park
vs Eisnehower
vs Joliet Catholic
@ Nazareth Academy
@ DePaul Prep
@ Benet Academy
vs Brother Rice
vs Providence Catholic
vs DeLaSalle

Returning Offensive Starters for 2020:

Darius Wilson - 6'2, 185, QB 2021
Aaron Wofford - 6'0 170, Slot 2021
Jalen Hamilton - 6'1 180 WR 2021
Keith McBee - 5'10 170 WR 2021
Jimmy Moore - 6'4 325 OL 2021
Damarius Stewart - 6'3 330 OL 2021

Returning Defensive Starters for 2020

Aaron Wofford - 6'0 170 CB 2021
Damion Rhoden - 6'1 185 LB 2021
Antonio Vargas - 5'10 165 SS 2021

Newcomers to Watch for 2020

Ryan Carroll - 2022
Mike Gentile - 2022
Anthony Petan - 2022
Connor McQuinn - 2022
Zack Siebeneler - 2022
Ardell Chambers - 2022
Andrew Rybicki - 2022
Sterlon Henton - 2022
Brandon McCoy - 2022
Aiden Anderson - 2022
Jalen Ray - 2023
Jack Falvey - 2023

2020 Planned Team 7on7 or Team Summer Camp?

NIU - 6-13
Richards 6-20

Impact Player for St. Laurence:
Take your pick between either senior QB Darius Wilson or senior WR/DB Aaron Wofford. Darius Wilson is an explosive playmakers who will be a three year varsity starter in 2020 for the Vikings. Both Wilson and Aaron Wofford already has a handful of scholarship offers this spring and Wofford is a speedy game breaker in all three phases.

EDGY's Quick Take on the St. Laurence Vikings: The Vikings have been able to withstand a coaching change heading into last season as head coach Adam Nissen will have another off season to get his team on board with his vision for the Vikings program. St. Laurence has talent and will be a contender in the CCL/ESCC Orange in 2020, but the second half of the schedule features some brutal crossover games. If the Vikings can come out of that portion of the schedule they have a chance to make some noise in the post-season this fall.

Nate Thomas leaving was a killer. He was 80% of their offense last season. Interested in seeing who they got in the cupboard to replace him. Him leaving was a hard blow, I truly wish them the best, Coach Nissen is a good man.

Why did he leave for Thornwood?
He had a cousin who is class of 2022 come to StL, and made it one semester. I heard he was bugging him to go to Thornwood with him for a while, and he gave in. Pretty sure it wasn't the money.
We'll be fine as a program. We still have a bunch of talent, and solid numbers at the lower levels.

Reactions: McCaravan
Sad.St Laurence was really building their program back up
They will be ok - Nate's leaving does hurt but I think the program is more stable now and the fallout of Coach Blackmon's departure is hopefully done - the "curve has been flattened". They have some great athletes and if they have the beef and talent upfront, they will be able to compete with anyone. I see a 6-3 season

Reactions: Gene K.
They will be ok - Nate's leaving does hurt but I think the program is more stable now and the fallout of Coach Blackmon's departure is hopefully done - the "curve has been flattened". They have some great athletes and if they have the beef and talent upfront, they will be able to compete with anyone. I see a 6-3 season
Where are those six wins coming from?
I don’t see them beating JC,Naz or Rice and will struggle with Benet and PC. I really only see 3/4 for sure wins.

Where are those six wins coming from?
I don’t see them beating JC,Naz or Rice and will struggle with Benet and PC. I really only see 3/4 for sure wins.
Their W's= Hyde Park, Ike, Gordon Tech, DLS, PROV & JCA

Prep Bowl again?
Possibly, but then again even with a Prep Bowl championship last year, they still qualified for state last year after a very good season and a nothing-to-be-ashamed-for L to Hillcrest in the opening round of 5A. St L beat a 8A semi-final team in regular season and other very strong showings and competed every game!

Their W's= Hyde Park, Ike, Gordon Tech, DLS, PROV & JCA
I say they a decent underdog vs. JCA and PC, especially without Thomas. JCA is loaded and PC has a ton of talent. DLS has 3 D1 prospects. I’ll say 4-5 at best. We’ll see how it plays out though....I hope at least!

All.... Being a high school road trip aficionado I have wanted to visit the Vikings facility for quite some time. Although it's my understanding the local PD is directly across from the stadium. (Tailgating. lol) SHG played StL in Springfield, a semi back in I believe 2016. Their fans were a great fun group. The Vikings that year were tough as nails and the best team the Cyclones had faced all season long until the next week when Prairie Ridge pounded SHG in the championship final.

Hopefully the season actually happens and a rematch is possible in Burbank. Ratsy

All.... Being a high school road trip aficionado I have wanted to visit the Vikings facility for quite some time. Although it's my understanding the local PD is directly across from the stadium. (Tailgating. lol) SHG played StL in Springfield, a semi back in I believe 2016. Their fans were a great fun group. The Vikings that year were tough as nails and the best team the Cyclones had faced all season long until the next week when Prairie Ridge pounded SHG in the championship final.

Hopefully the season actually happens and a rematch is possible in Burbank. Ratsy
The police are great guys & laid back & more into being over at Reavis.The stadium is awesome & the announcers are great.I recall one year a game vs DLS the Vikings won.A Belt Railway Train engineer was switching cars from some of the local factories next to St Laurence.He stopped to watch the game & blew his horn during great plays!!! They even brought him some food from the concession stand.After the game the announcer wished everyone a safe trip home & said thank you& good night train engineer!!

The police are great guys & laid back & more into being over at Reavis.The stadium is awesome & the announcers are great.I recall one year a game vs DLS the Vikings won.A Belt Railway Train engineer was switching cars from some of the local factories next to St Laurence.He stopped to watch the game & blew his horn during great plays!!! They even brought him some food from the concession stand.After the game the announcer wished everyone a safe trip home & said thank you& good night train engineer!!
I’m confused.

We'd love to have you. It's not the PD across the street, it's actually a public grammar school, and ironically, the only place you actually CAN get away with a little tailgating.

Reactions: superfbfan

2016 it was - we gave up a TD on the opening kick-off and quickly went down by 14 but battled back and the Vikes were just 18 yards away from taking the lead late in Q3 - the Vikes had a great run that year beating the Chicago area southland gauntlet of Richards, Crete-Monee and Lemont to advance to Springfield. Nice stadium, atmosphere and grub at SHG - nice people too

They did play last year
JCA 34 - StL 33 - the Vikes went for 2 in the final seconds after a late TD. If I recall (I could be wrong as I was at my son's York game and was following on twitter), the Vikes led most of the game but turnovers did in the Vikes late

Reactions: USD24
We'd love to have you. It's not the PD across the street, it's actually a public grammar school, and ironically, the only place you actually CAN get away with a little tailgating.

All.... Thanks for the clarification. I was a bit far down the street with the google overhead map where the public works and police station is (or was) located. Ratsy

JCA 34 - StL 33 - the Vikes went for 2 in the final seconds after a late TD. If I recall (I could be wrong as I was at my son's York game and was following on twitter), the Vikes led most of the game but turnovers did in the Vikes late
Great game

you either had too much to drink, or you didn't hear and see their student section. i'll leave it at that.[/QUOTE
There was nothing wrong about or with StL's student section that game - just a handful of students - mostly alum and parents

Reactions: IgorStL
you either had too much to drink, or you didn't hear and see their student section. i'll leave it at that.

All..... After hours of hanging out in the field next to the Griffin woods before games my hearing on occasion can get effected. (lol) Ratsy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT