ADVERTISEMENT

7A: Wheaton North Falcons vs St. Rita Mustangs

I think Marica highlights the great thing about St. Rita is how much fans/alumni/parents care. Any home game has 4 to 5 living generations there, Mrs. Quinn still cheering on the linemen to BLOCK for the last 50 years, every type of family there from work boots to penny loafers, the optimistic AND the pessimistic. To be relevant on the state football scene year in and year out (save for a handful of years) for the last 50+ years says a lot about the program and the passionate people around it.
Marica can understand how good Wheaton North is and still be disappointed in a loss.
Today will be Doc's 630th straight game

• Love
Reactions: Brin22 and RockSoup
And this Forcucci kid isn’t Big 10 quality? Some coaches in big 10 west need to start watching more QBs play in this state.

Reactions: Wolffan64
WN kudos on winning, they had a great year and played a hell of a post season.
But that's 2 championship games in a row Rita got their doors blown off from the get go.
2019 looked better only because Rita kept their starters in after Rochester was subbing and got couple garbage TDs.
Know Todd has his army but he needs to catch a lot of blame as any head coach/ OC should after not having his team ready and only scoring 6 and losing by 4 tds. Should be some real evaluations this off season.
A great run but disappointing finish.

And whoever at the IHSA decided the 1st place trophy needed to be changed to what it is now, should be fired. Forgot they did that til I saw it again yesterday.
It's fine for the 2nd place team but the old one with its size and detail to me is more representative of a trophy for winning state.

But that's 2 championship games in a row Rita got their doors blown off from the get go.
2019 looked better only because Rita kept their starters in after Rochester was subbing and got couple garbage TDs.
Know Todd has his army but he needs to catch a lot of blame as any head coach/ OC should after not having his team ready and only scoring 6 and losing by 4 tds. Should be some real evaluations this off season.

And whoever at the IHSA decided the 1st place trophy needed to be changed to what it is now, should be fired. Forgot they did that til I saw it again yesterday.
It's fine for the 2nd place team but the old one with its size and detail to me is more representative of a trophy for winning state.
You really come on here to bash the coach.
find another past time. Sad to see that.

You really come on here to bash the coach.
find another past time. Sad to see that.
Think that's far from bashing. They didnt do well these last 2, coaches have to take some of that blame.
I'm never meaning to imply he or they dont put in the work. I know that's not the case. They are beating themselves up over it I'm sure.
But the last two seasons ended the same way, so they will like every other team will and evaluate things.
All I did was state that.

Think that's far from bashing. They didnt do well these last 2, coaches have to take some of that blame.
I'm never meaning to imply he or they dont put in the work. I know that's not the case. They are beating themselves up over it I'm sure.
But the last two seasons ended the same way, so they will like every other team will and evaluate things.
I guess what I’m saying is that it’s state Championship weekend. Today isn’t the day. Coaches and kids have busted their tails to get to the game. The coaches don’t need to be called out tonight.

Kuska definitely was out-coached, but so what. There are more important things than winning at the high school level. The guy I want coaching SR instills toughness, fearlessness, relentlessness, tradition, and empathy. To me, Kuska is perfect for the school. If his losses start adversely affecting enrollment, then maybe a change is needed. But absent that, IMO he earned the right to continue coaching at SR if he wants the headaches.

Hats off to Wheaton North. I underestimated them. They are an incredibly well coached and disciplined team with a phenomenal high school QB.

Very Proud that SR did not give up after halftime.

Kuska definitely was out-coached, but so what. There are more important things than winning at the high school level. The guy I want coaching SR instills toughness, fearlessness, relentlessness, tradition, and empathy. To me, Kuska is perfect for the school. If his losses start adversely affecting enrollment, then maybe a change is needed. But absent that, IMO he earned the right to continue coaching at SR if he wants the headaches.

Hats off to Wheaton North. I underestimated them. They are an incredibly well coached and disciplined team with a phenomenal high school QB.

I always say. Who’s going to replace him? Who’s going to work their ass off and spend ridiculous hours at SR recruiting, coaching, and teaching? Coach K’s been there for 20+ years? This comes up constantly with Henn at ND. I don’t see a line of people applying to do what he does. Thank God for these guys. I hope they stay until they feel like giving it up. I think they’ve deserved that right.

I always say. Who’s going to replace him? Who’s going to work their ass off and spend ridiculous hours at SR recruiting, coaching, and teaching? Coach K’s been there for 20+ years? This comes up constantly with Henn at ND. I don’t see a line of people applying to do what he does. Thank God for these guys. I hope they stay until they feel like giving it up. I think they’ve deserved that right.
The dedication to the program cannot be underestimated. People like to take shots at guys like Kuska, Bukovsky and others. They have no idea the love and dedication they have for these programs.

Now comes the work all good coaches like Kuska never get credit for. He will be helping the kids who are not on the all star-teams get those scholarships that are the difference of going or not going to college. Monday he'll be making phone calls and sending film on players to colleges large and small. Everyone loves to tout the 7 St. Rita players that made NFL rosters in a decade or the 14 players in the last 4 years on D1 rosters. BUT it's the 18 kids playing playing DII or smaller football who may not be in college w/o football. If there was a grade given for that behind the scenes work I'd give Kuska an "A" in my book.

Now comes the work all good coaches like Kuska never get credit for. He will be helping the kids who are not on the all star-teams get those scholarships that are the difference of going or not going to college. Monday he'll be making phone calls and sending film on players to colleges large and small. Everyone loves to tout the 7 St. Rita players that made NFL rosters in a decade or the 14 players in the last 4 years on D1 rosters. BUT it's the 18 kids playing playing DII or smaller football who may not be in college w/o football. If there was a grade given for that behind the scenes work I'd give Kuska an "A" in my book.
Rita has an excellent program and Coach Kuska is a stand up guy and his players play hard for him. Great point about the players that continue playing beyond Rita and nor for the glory but because they love the game. The very least you can say is his program builds on the love they have for the game and continue to play. I would bet the kids that do not go on and play for many reasons talk about their experience as a very positive time in their lives. I also would like to congratulate Wheaton North as a community and school. I have been coaching a long time and consider Coach Joe a friend and quietly one of the best coaches and leader of a program in the state. His teams play the game the right way and they play hard. A class individual that any parent would be proud to have their son play for. He has a great staff that he lets coach and could not be happier for a staff! Final word....both of these programs had an opportunity to play for a Championship, only one wins but both coaches helped their teams to have the opportunity. Two teams that relished the opportunity and got there by not being afraid of failure. Congrats to St Rita and Wheaton North

I’ll admit I was critical of his coaching in yesterday’s game, but that kinda comes with the territory when your a coach. Professional hazard. That being said Kuska is an amazing coach. He is St. Rita through and through. He recruited both of my sons who have gone through High School and Damn near flipped one of them to Rita, and this was a kid who always said he wanted to wear the Brown and White only. And he couldn’t have been more understanding when they told him they were going to MC.

As stated above, the number of players he sent to the next level is remarkable. Coaching in the CCL, especially on the South Side, where you are vying for the services of so many athletes, and going up against MC, SR, BR, Marist, and Laurence all within a couple miles of each other...and then seeing most of these programs have successful seasons year after year...it’s the most challenging job in high school football hands down. Stand up and Cheer! Yes MC reference at the end there. 😀

Yes!!! Bring back the old trophies for the champions. The rest can keep the NCAA trophy. Also how often do private schools evaluate staff/schemes/etc, most just stay the course it appears?

You are way out of line
Up until it’s his kid people are calling out. Then again, comments like that it’s obvious he doesn’t have any. Empathy is not a skill……. It’s learned behavior from life experience. Perhaps he needs to get one? A life that is!

St. Rita’s perceived “enrollment issues” have absolutely zero to do with Todd Kuska. If anything the guy is an asset to the enrollment as he continues to put a quality product on the field year after year.

Interesting thing about enrollment at these Catholic high schools. In the past decade, BR has seen its enrollment halved. SR? Not even close to being halved. Yet everyone wants to single out SR? It’s economics and a sign of the times.

Not letting SR completely off the hook here. Whoever made the decision to fire one Mike Zunica should be barred from the hallways at St. Rita. Only to see BR scoop him up immediately and put him into high profile leadership roll. Big big mistake IMO. Just drive past BR and you’ll see the impact he’s having on 99th street.

I’ll admit I was critical of his coaching in yesterday’s game, but that kinda comes with the territory when your a coach. Professional hazard. That being said Kuska is an amazing coach. He is St. Rita through and through. He recruited both of my sons who have gone through High School and Damn near flipped one of them to Rita, and this was a kid who always said he wanted to wear the Brown and White only. And he couldn’t have been more understanding when they told him they were going to MC.

As stated above, the number of players he sent to the next level is remarkable. Coaching in the CCL, especially on the South Side, where you are vying for the services of so many athletes, and going up against MC, SR, BR, Marist, and Laurence all within a couple miles of each other...and then seeing most of these programs have successful seasons year after year...it’s the most challenging job in high school football hands down. Stand up and Cheer! Yes MC reference at the end there. 😀
Let me just get this off my chest, as I'm still here trying to console a soph. who laid it all on the line during this playoff run and is still in shock that they didn't bring the chip back to 77th & western. He doesn't understand why they stopped pounding the rock to him and the 3 headed monster to keep WN offense off the field. That is his biggest disappointment as the run setup the pass during their run.
To me, it seemed as though they were going to go to KB at all costs. Why wouldn't you? But, at the same time go with what got you there to the playoffs and during your run. Kudos the WN and great run by the Mustangs. Hats off to Kuska and the staff for all the hard work they do. They will be determined next season as my son has just left to go lifting as he said the next game will be huge in week 1 at MC....

They will be determined next season as my son has just left to go lifting as he said the next game will be huge in week 1 at MC....
Can't wait till Monday? That's impressive. But I'll bet that apple didn't fall far from the tree.

That's what I love about football, it builds men. We saw 16 great teams play this weekend. But there are a lot of kids who will never see the playoffs in high school. Reach out and give them a pat on the back too.

Let me just get this off my chest, as I'm still here trying to console a soph. who laid it all on the line during this playoff run and is still in shock that they didn't bring the chip back to 77th & western. He doesn't understand why they stopped pounding the rock to him and the 3 headed monster to keep WN offense off the field. That is his biggest disappointment as the run setup the pass during their run.
To me, it seemed as though they were going to go to KB at all costs. Why wouldn't you? But, at the same time go with what got you there to the playoffs and during your run. Kudos the WN and great run by the Mustangs. Hats off to Kuska and the staff for all the hard work they do. They will be determined next season as my son has just left to go lifting as he said the next game will be huge in week 1 at MC....
Darrion Dupree and our 18 returning starters will be waiting to welcome the Mustangs to Barda Dowling! Will be an outstanding game. Tell your son congrats on a great season and have a safe off season! We’ll see you in August.

Congrats to your son and a great season. I love your kid's attitude, and as tomloner typed, you have instilled great values and character into your son.

Getting things off your chest is a good thing and we appreciate the honesty. No other choice but to persevere and keep at it. And it definitely reads like your son is doing just that.

As for MC next year, the roles will be reversed: the Caravan will be the favorites, but I have a feeling the game will come down to the wire, like this past year.

Darrion Dupree and our 18 returning starters will be waiting to welcome the Mustangs to Barda Dowling! Will be an outstanding game. Tell your son congrats on a great season and have a safe off season! We’ll see you in August.
Should be preseason number 1. Had a hell of a season this year with that bunch.

Rice and Rita fell short despite having the most experienced talent in the area.
They were defeated by a better-coached TEAM.

It will be Carmel with the top talent for the next 3 to 4 years, and I don't see Lynch and O'Brien allowing that to happen.

What Rice lacked under Badke and Carmel has under Lynch is a structured system from freshman to varsity. Offense and defense use the same play calls and slang.This, combined with top talent, will result in multiple rings in the coming years for Carmel.

Your post in the other thread is completely accurate. TEAM triumphs over talent, or Badke would have a couple of rings.

Last edited:
So the coach takes his team to the finals and you think they need to evaluate him? Really?
I don’t get it. Only one team wins.

Rice and Rita fell short despite having the most experienced talent in the area.
They were defeated by a better-coached TEAM.

It will be Carmel with the top talent for the next 3 to 4 years, and I don't see Lynch and O'Brien allowing that to happen.

What Rice lacked under Badke and Carmel has under Lynch is a structured system from freshman to varsity. Offense and defense use the same play calls and slang.This, combined with top talent, will result in multiple rings in the coming years for Carmel.

Your post in the other thread is completely accurate. TEAM triumphs over talent, or Badke would have a couple of rings.
Completely false
Rice runs the same things at each level

St. Rita’s perceived “enrollment issues” have absolutely zero to do with Todd Kuska. If anything the guy is an asset to the enrollment as he continues to put a quality product on the field year after year.

Interesting thing about enrollment at these Catholic high schools. In the past decade, BR has seen its enrollment halved. SR? Not even close to being halved. Yet everyone wants to single out SR? It’s economics and a sign of the times.

Not letting SR completely off the hook here. Whoever made the decision to fire one Mike Zunica should be barred from the hallways at St. Rita. Only to see BR scoop him up immediately and put him into high profile leadership roll. Big big mistake IMO. Just drive past BR and you’ll see the impact he’s having on 99th street.
Halved is a little much

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT