ADVERTISEMENT

7 on 7's this summer

tjjrr

Nov 19, 2003
Does anyone have any info on any 7 on 7's taking place this summer? I know in the past there's been a big one at Northwestern and several others throughout the state, and out of state as well. I know SHG has had them at their place a time or two, and they participated (and won) a big one in Georgia a few years back. One would think with all the receivers they have coming back, plus a returning 3,000 yard senior to be QB, (Ty Lott) that they would be taking part in a few. I have yet to see any mention of any. Seems info on them is hard to find. Anyone?

Well, you can call it whatever you like, and I realize it's not real football. With that said, I would like to see anyone try to cover the receivers they have coming back this fall, and have success. The year they went down and won the Georgia 7 on 7 tourney they competed with some extremely talented individuals from some top football places in Florida and Texas, and won the thing. Then went on to win back to back state championships in '13 and '14, with everyone saying Montini would "smoke" them in '13 and that they had "no chance". We all know how that turned out. So, back to my question, if anyone has any info it would be much appreciated.

Can we call these two hand touch or flag football? Because from a quality standpoint that’s what it is.
7 on 7 definitely has limitations but it is very useful for teams since you get a chance to work new kids into your system and they be come more familiar with it while building some chemistry and timing for the regular season. 7 on 7 All star teams on the other hand serve no real purpose other then letting guys post Twitter about the "Elite" team they are with.

Reactions: LHSTigers94
Great chance to do some meaningful summer install of an important aspect of the overall defensive package. Video the games, then a fine teaching and learning tool is in place. If summer camp participation is a problem, when the realization occurs by a hesitant player that serious coaching and position evaluation is under way, turnout could be increased. Having summer contests on the horizon can help laser-focus the camp practice plans in the skill positions. As long as not driving too far in rush hour and/or playing too many games with lots of guys going both ways, 7-on-7s are a positive IMO.

All good points. And yes it does help with team chemistry. Another important part is the reps between center and QB. One of the few spots SHG has to replace this year is the center. With all of their snaps being from shotgun (with the exception for end of the game kneel downs) it's good to get plenty of reps for those 2. And of course the db's and safeties get a ton of work as well.

Reactions: stl705
Does anyone have any info on any 7 on 7's taking place this summer? I know in the past there's been a big one at Northwestern and several others throughout the state, and out of state as well. I know SHG has had them at their place a time or two, and they participated (and won) a big one in Georgia a few years back. One would think with all the receivers they have coming back, plus a returning 3,000 yard senior to be QB, (Ty Lott) that they would be taking part in a few. I have yet to see any mention of any. Seems info on them is hard to find. Anyone?
I'm not aware of any larger team 7on7 events this summer....Ron Muhitch retired thus killing off the Red Grange 7on7...and the colleges have a few one offs but I don't see a ton of massive old school ones.....thanks COVID.

I'm not aware of any larger team 7on7 events this summer....Ron Muhitch retired thus killing off the Red Grange 7on7...and the colleges have a few one offs but I don't see a ton of massive old school ones.....thanks COVID.
I think Richards is having theirs again. Always had good teams there.

There’s a major event put on by Overtime- called OT7, this coming weekend in Vegas. Top teams from all over. I know Boom is coming.
Yeah I've got some thoughts on this and they won't be good....got no issues with my friends at Boom or the kids/parents involved....but it's now time to put 7on7 away and play for your high school team along with going to college camps etc..7on7 has had kids for months upon months...

Couldn't agree more from a traditionalist standpoint. However, like w/ basketball- the money and the platform being a necessary recruiting tool and trend is already huge and is growing exponentially. Again, couldn't agree with you more; but I'm afraid the reality is that is only increasing in size, scope, recruiting importance and not going away anytime soon. Like with almost everything that was once pure about sports, money becomes the play. Some teams are flying private to events. The metaphorical IMG effect in sports is now the norm. Unfortunately...

Yeah I've got some thoughts on this and they won't be good....got no issues with my friends at Boom or the kids/parents involved....but it's now time to put 7on7 away and play for your high school team along with going to college camps etc..7on7 has had kids for months upon months...

Give it a few more years and kids will be missing real games for 7on7 tournaments in the fall.

Brutal weather conditions for a 7-on-7 until later in the week. I hope everyone plays it smart.

Give it a few more years and kids will be missing real games for 7on7 tournaments in the fall.
.... and because these stars were discovered during the BOOM season, this will be when the NIL contracts will be negotiated and finalized

All.... Found this one. The Titan 7 on 7 July 8 in Chatham. Ratsy

Pool A
Peoria
Glenwood
Belleville (Althoff)
Pleasant Plains

Pool B
Quincy
Dunlap
Belleville (East)
Southeast

Reactions: rocketnation
Can we call these two hand touch or flag football? Because from a quality standpoint that’s what it is.
It’s good conditioning I guess but we’ll let’s just say & please with no disrespect that St.Francis De Sales,Argo(Weber & Tomlinson were gold)& Morton(not the Potters) had some pretty good teams in 7 on 7 & well………

Not sure why he tagged Wingo and Luther. Wingo is a SLUH legacy. The last of the three brothers that all were top players for SLUH.
Luther sort of made sense. Atleast he has some ties to esl. I wasn't aware of any with wingo

IMO 7on7 is only a valuable tool only if appropriately coached. Too many of these 7on7 teams care more about clout than properly teaching kids, that it actually hurts the athlete practicing shitty technique. This also goes for 7on7s that high school teams host, I see horribly coached teams hooting and hollering when their DBs are tackling a Wr on the snap of the ball because they are "pressing" with no pads on. Qbs take one-step drops on post routes and hitch 5-6 times before throwing the ball (unrealistic) etc... Then coaches are hyped when they do something good but aren't practicing good technique and realistic things. I love the competitive nature of 7on7 it's always good to compete, but doing it properly is how you get better, doing it improperly doesn't help the athlete or the team at all, I went to the Naperville North 7on7 in June, you can tell what teams cared about actually teaching kids and getting realistic game reps and which teams thought the state championship was won in June.

I’m sure ESTL dominates 7 on 7 but it’s not impressive to me. They may be the best 7 on 7 team in the nation.

7 on 7 allows for their constant self inflicted wounds to be hidden that otherwise constantly show up on game day.
I know, right. They should probably just shut down the program after 7on7 is over.

Reactions: epicbret
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT