ADVERTISEMENT

7 on 7's this summer

My point is that they underachieve.
Yes, I’ve seen them in person.
Yes, I’ve seen their line up close.

Thought their team last year was the most talented team I’ve ever seen.

Which is why I was against all the hyperbole surrounding that team. Yes they had LB3 and some other players with impressive offer sheets, but the rhetoric was over the top from the media. Now because people couldn't tone down the absurd rhetoric other people consider the runner-up in a class larger than their enrollment (at a public school) as underachieving. That's not fair to them.

Those kids are not superhuman, they're kids just like the kids across from them on the line of scrimmage.

Last years team wasnt better than the '19 team. Macon, lovett, johnson, Lewis, powell, etc.

It sounds like you just want a reason to knock esl.

Which is why I was against all the hyperbole surrounding that team. Yes they had LB3 and some other players with impressive offer sheets, but the rhetoric was over the top from the media. Now because people couldn't tone down the absurd rhetoric other people consider the runner-up in a class larger than their enrollment (at a public school) as underachieving. That's not fair to them.

Those kids are not superhuman, they're kids just like the kids across from them on the line of scrimmage.

I agree Bones. I will also go on record to say LB3 was the best HS football player I have seen. I think we are going to see some amazing things from him in college and beyond. The only thing that could derail him is if he has a major injury. He is that good. I am looking forward to following his career and wish him the best. 👍

Sure it’s fair. They were far superior, talent wise, than any 6A team last season. Who cares what their enrollment was?

You honestly don’t think they underachieved last year? I’m sure they think they do.

Last years team wasnt better than the '19 team. Macon, lovett, johnson, Lewis, powell, etc.

I said most talented team I’ve seen in person. I didn’t see the ‘19 team play in person.

Their offensive line and skill players last year - possibly best in the entire nation and they didn’t win the 3rd largest class in the state. They drastically underachieved.

When ESTL comes up here for a big game I always try to go. Enjoy watching their kids play and talking to their fans before the games. They are great people. I just think they should be the most dominate program in the state currently and they aren’t. So, as my original post said, I’m not impressed w their 7 on 7 results over the summer.

EStl is easy to knock they lead the state in penalties every year which was pretty much what was stated in his first post. Without penalties they may never lose a game but that hasn’t been the case since they have multiple big plays a game taken away.

Sure it’s fair. They were far superior, talent wise, than any 6A team last season. Who cares what their enrollment was?

You honestly don’t think they underachieved last year? I’m sure they think they do.
I think we just have drastically different uses for the word "underachieved". They were upset in the game vs CG, it just so happened to be the championship game. imo, underachieving would have been going 5-4 and bowing out in the 1st rd of the playoffs.

Not at all. Football is more than counting players with offer sheets. It's this simplistic view that comes up with these asinine narratives. And I am sure they were disappointed in not winning, but that doesn't make them far superior.

Who was the 5th most talented team and what did they do in the playoffs?

I agree Bones. I will also go on record to say LB3 was the best HS football player I have seen. I think we are going to see some amazing things from him in college and beyond. The only thing that could derail him is if he has a major injury. He is that good. I am looking forward to following his career and wish him the best. 👍
LB3 was phenomenal. I don't know who the best is but he's up there with Treadwell, Randle-El, Martez Wilson. The most talented team I've seen was WWS 1998. There wasn't a single weakness on that team other than maybe they scored too fast. Loyola has been fielding teams where they are strong at every position. LWE 2018 with healthy Henning.

I think we just have drastically different uses for the word "underachieved". They were upset in the game vs CG, it just so happened to be the championship game. imo, underachieving would have been going 5-4 and bowing out in the 1st rd of the playoffs.
ESL had far more talent than CG. They didn’t underachieve, they were out coached.

• Wow
Reactions: johnndoe
Not at all. Football is more than counting players with offer sheets. It's this simplistic view that comes up with these asinine narratives. And I am sure they were disappointed in not winning, but that doesn't make them far superior.

Who was the 5th most talented team and what did they do in the playoffs?

I saw ESTL at Lemont in the quarters last year and was blown away with their talent level. Yet, left super disappointed as they played a super sloppy game and didn't dominate Lemont the way they could have (yes they still won by 3 scores).

I like a Coach K quote “ The goal isn’t to win the game, the goal is to play the best game possible.“ ESTL typically doesn’t play the best game possible

ESLT had the most talent out of any team in the state last year and didn’t even win 6A. As one person’s opinion, I’m not impressed w them winning 7 on 7 tourneys all summer.

I’ll bow out here. This convo isn’t going anywhere.

Last edited:
I saw ESTL at Lemont in the quarters last year and was blown away with their talent level. Yet, left super disappointed as they played a super sloppy game and didn't dominate Lemont the way the way they could have (yes they still won by 3 scores).

I like a Coach K quote “ The goal isn’t to win the game, the goal is to play the best game possible.“ ESTL typically doesn’t play the best game possible

ESLT had the most talent out of any team in the state last year and didn’t even win 6A. As one person’s opinion, I’m not impressed w them winning 7 on 7 tourneys all summer.

I’ll bow out here. This convo isn’t going anywhere.
Yeah, I see you neglected to answer who was the 5th most talented and what they did in the playoffs because you know whatever metric you use for "most talented" is BS. But carry on.

Yeah, I see you neglected to answer who was the 5th most talented and what they did in the playoffs because you know whatever metric you use for "most talented" is BS. But carry on.
ESTL was the clear #1 most talented team. I have no idea who was 5th.

Because you don't have a method. You're just talking. But carry on.
Of their 22 starters 9 had Power 5 conference offers, I didn’t bother to look up the other 13 starters but I would guess there are few FCS offers in there. Please list any team in the state with more scholarship players? I’ll be waiting for your response that D1 talent doesn’t mean anything.

Of their 22 starters 9 had Power 5 conference offers, I didn’t bother to look up the other 13 starters but I would guess there are few FCS offers in there. Please list any team in the state with more scholarship players? I’ll be waiting for your response that D1 talent doesn’t mean anything.
Same question. Who is the #5 most talented team and what did they do in the playoffs? This is a dumb narrative.

Did you see them play last year?
I did. Saw them lose to MD, saw the shootout with CBC, saw some of the Lemont game, and saw the CG game.

Didnt seem to be on another level in any of those games. I bet the Lake Forest team walked off the field after the drubbing CG gave them and thought CG is a bunch of talentless nobodies who can't play football well.

It's a moronic story you're trying to sell.

I did. Saw them lose to MD, saw the shootout with CBC, saw some of the Lemont game, and saw the CG game.

Didnt seem to be on another level in any of those games. I bet the Lake Forest team walked off the field after the drubbing CG gave them and thought CG is a bunch of talentless nobodies who can't play football well.

Lemont was completely overmatched.

It’s moronic to have the opinion that ESTL was the most talented team in 6A and underachieved? Think its at least a debatable topic. Not sure why you’re getting so offended that someone thinks what I think.

Lemont was completely overmatched.

It’s moronic to have the opinion that ESTL was the most talented team in 6A and underachieved? Think its at least a debatable topic. Not sure why you’re getting so offended that someone thinks what I think.
Completely overmatched and the score was 42-21. Yet, CG beats their semifinal opponent 40-7 and CG is a collection of talentless badminton players, let you tell it.

Yeah, its moronic to pretend ESL is somehow Alabama out there and all their opponents are the Little Giants for the sole purpose of minimizing their accomplishments or even worse turn an accomplishment into a failure. CG was a hell of a football team with good and talented players all over the field, as evidenced by the whippings they handed out almost each and every week.

I mean you can't even name the other "talented" teams, it really exposes what your goal is.

"Asinine", "dumb" and "moronic". What's with all the name calling just because somebody doesn't agree with you?

"Asinine", "dumb" and "moronic". What's with all the name calling just because somebody doesn't agree with you?
Do yourself a favor, go back and reread. I know it's difficult. Ask yourself what in the sentences is dumb, moronic, and asinine.

Completely overmatched and the score was 42-21. Yet, CG beats their semifinal opponent 40-7 and CG is a collection of talentless badminton players, let you tell it.

Yeah, its moronic to pretend ESL is somehow Alabama out there and all their opponents are the Little Giants for the sole purpose of minimizing their accomplishments or even worse turn an accomplishment into a failure. CG was a hell of a football team with good and talented players all over the field, as evidenced by the whippings they handed out almost each and every week.

I mean you can't even name the other "talented" teams, it really exposes what your goal is.
Didn’t say anything remotely close to what you just said about CG. I think they are arguably the best run program in the state with a tradition of great players.

However, my point still stands, ESTL was the most talented team in 6A …. And by a landslide.

JCA was similar in 4a last year - their talent was better than everyone else’s and it would have been a major upset if they didn’t win state.

I already explained that ESTL should have beaten Lemont by significantly more and played a tremendously sloppy game. Yet, you say that Lemont wasn’t Completely overmatched. It was men vs boys. You must have shown up towards the end of the game.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that every time you saw them play this year was streamed?

What is my goal here that’s “really exposed”?

Honestly, I just enjoy the football conversation. Surprised I shared an opinion and a poster as seasoned as you replies the way you have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alexander32

You’re making me feel guilty about saying ESL had a lot more talent than CG and that ESL was just out coached. I’m a CG homer so I hope nobody thinks I was belittling their accomplishments. No doubt CG had talent but the coaching staff had a brilliant plan to outsmart a juggernaut. I knew CG would score in that game. I’m just more stunned they were able to limit ESL from scoring more. I’m not a fan of using underachieve as a way of describing high school kids.

Didn’t say anything remotely close to what you just said about CG. I think they are arguably the best run program in the state with a tradition of great players.

However, my point still stands, ESTL was the most talented team in 6A …. And by a landslide.

JCA was similar in 4a last year - their talent was better than everyone else’s and it would have been a major upset if they didn’t win state.

I already explained that ESTL should have beaten Lemont by significantly more and played a tremendously sloppy game. Yet, you say that Lemont wasn’t Completely overmatched. It was men vs boys. You must have shown up towards the end of the game.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that every time you saw them play this year was streamed?

What is my goal here that’s “really exposed”?

Honestly, I just enjoy the football conversation. Surprised I shared an opinion and a poster as seasoned as you replies the way you have.
You really did do exactly what I said. Talent is judged by being able to do your job on the field. If CG's OL is able to move ESL's DL back 5 yards every play they're talented and/or good at doing their job on the football field. No offer sheet changes that fact.

The same way the better football team wins the game, the better football player wins their matchups.

How would you be able to determine who was the more talented team between two schools with no D1 offers? Would you throw your hands up and say "welp no one has a D1 offer so all these players are the same"? Or would you, you know, watch the game and assess the players by what actually happened?

Glad you mentioned JCA. Yes, they were the most talented team in 4A and it wasn't close. I didn't look at offer sheets to come to that conclusion, I looked at the games. But bring up Dergo and I doubt a single JCA fan will tell you he wasn't talented. When you have a moment take a look at his profile in the recruiting database, go head and count his offers.

Sorry if you're offended that I pointed out your narrative being silly, but it is.

You’re making me feel guilty about saying ESL had a lot more talent than CG and that ESL was just out coached. I’m a CG homer so I hope nobody thinks I was belittling their accomplishments. No doubt CG had talent but the coaching staff had a brilliant plan to outsmart a juggernaut. I knew CG would score in that game. I’m just more stunned they were able to limit ESL from scoring more. I’m not a fan of using underachieve as a way of describing high school kids.
I think the accurate phrase would be ESL had more players with college offers.

I don't feel like you've done what others have with that argument. I may have missed it. I have no problem with hyping up an opponent, hell I do it all the time. But not to later diminish what they've done.

My argument isn't even that ESL isn't talented. It's that the perceived gap between them and the field doesn't exist. Recently MC, GBN, NV, CG have all shown that.

Reactions: greatgig13
You really did do exactly what I said. Talent is judged by being able to do your job on the field. If CG's OL is able to move ESL's DL back 5 yards every play they're talented and/or good at doing their job on the football field. No offer sheet changes that fact.

The same way the better football team wins the game, the better football player wins their matchups.

How would you be able to determine who was the more talented team between two schools with no D1 offers? Would you throw your hands up and say "welp no one has a D1 offer so all these players are the same"? Or would you, you know, watch the game and assess the players by what actually happened?

Glad you mentioned JCA. Yes, they were the most talented team in 4A and it wasn't close. I didn't look at offer sheets to come to that conclusion, I looked at the games. But bring up Dergo and I doubt a single JCA fan will tell you he wasn't talented. When you have a moment take a look at his profile in the recruiting database, go head and count his offers.

Sorry if you're offended that I pointed out your narrative being silly, but it is.
I haven't said one thing about ESTL having D1 kids or offers. I think you are making pre-judgments on me.

I agree with your point of watching the game and assessing who had better players. Feel like we are having a very elementary debate here. Watching ESTL play they clearly had more talented players.

Saw Dergo play in person several times. Had cousins that played against him at JCA during those days.

Last edited:
I haven't said one thing about ESTL having D1 kids or offers. I think you are making pre-judgments on me.

I agree with your point of watching the game and assessing who had better players. Feel like we are having a very elementary debate here. Watching ESTL play they clearly had more talented players.

Saw Dergo play in person several times. Had cousins how played against him at JCA during those days.
It is extremely elementary. When ESL's OL pushes R-B's DL back several yards per play it's because they're better players. But when C-G's OL pushed ESL's DL back 5-8 yards per play its because ESL is still better... and you can tell by watching them get pushed back?

I am curious as to how that works.

Saw Dergo play in person several times. Had cousins that played against him at JCA during those days.
It was ClownBaby that wrote about Division I scholarships. However, if you are expecting an apology or an admission of error, it will be a long, long wait.

Not that there is anything wrong in writing about Division I scholarships. Many people have done that in the past on this site, including Edgy Tim himself.

It is extremely elementary. When ESL's OL pushes R-B's DL back several yards per play it's because they're better players. But when C-G's OL pushed ESL's DL back 5-8 yards per play its because ESL is still better... and you can tell by watching them get pushed back?

I am curious as to how that works.
You got film to back this post up or are you "just talking"?
CG down blocks, stretch blocks and cut blocks the majority of the time. I find it hard to believe that CG pushed ESL dline back 5-8 yards per play. Their offense simply doesn't ask them to ever do that.

ESL DL also averaged 40lbs more than CG's OL.

My opinion is CG was an excellent ball club who executed their game plan. A kid gave up his body to achieve their goal. No one underachieve! CG won! ESL didn’t score on two drives. One before half that started with 1 min to go and the last drive that consisted of a young QB making a play that may haunt him for the rest of his playing career. ESL had problem stopping the run game all year which is why CBC, SJB, IMG and CG all put up points. Each one of those teams had a good run game. So yes ESL had players go major powers 5 and will do well on that level. None of those guys were MLBs or NT’s that help stop the run. They were DB’s and offensive guys. Those two parts of the game didn’t underachieve. The weakness that was shown all year was also shown in the title game. Not sure why this is even a conversation. Penalties were not the reason they have lost any game in recent memory except maybe Massillon LOL! I will also add that no one was outcoached! Two teams did what they do well and one walked away with a one point victory. How are all these other narratives being created?

My opinion is CG was an excellent ball club who executed their game plan. A kid gave up his body to achieve their goal. No one underachieve! CG won! ESL didn’t score on two drives. One before half that started with 1 min to go and the last drive that consisted of a young QB making a play that may haunt him for the rest of his playing career. ESL had problem stopping the run game all year which is why CBC, SJB, IMG and CG all put up points. Each one of those teams had a good run game. So yes ESL had players go major powers 5 and will do well on that level. None of those guys were MLBs or NT’s that help stop the run. They were DB’s and offensive guys. Those two parts of the game didn’t underachieve. The weakness that was shown all year was also shown in the title game. Not sure why this is even a conversation. Penalties were not the reason they have lost any game in recent memory except maybe Massillon LOL! I will also add that no one was outcoached! Two teams did what they do well and one walked away with a one point victory. How are all these other narratives being created?

If Hissong goes down earlier in that game it easily could have been a different outcome. It was a great battle period.

Reactions: LHSTigers94
You got film to back this post up or are you "just talking"?
CG down blocks, stretch blocks and cut blocks the majority of the time. I find it hard to believe that CG pushed ESL dline back 5-8 yards per play. Their offense simply doesn't ask them to ever do that.

ESL DL also averaged 40lbs more than CG's OL.
C-G was getting like 5-8 yards a pop on the dive. Did you watch?

It's a conversation because if they can brand ESL as automatically physically better at every player they have an excuse for not being able to win, it's also a way to minimize coaching and hard work put in by the players because its all genetics. Then when ESL loses they create this narrative of underachieving (despite it being the championship game in a class up), and opposing coaching being superior and their kids being hard workers and students of film etc.

It can never be two programs similarly situated physically and one side just won. It's not just ESL it's those programs described as "athletic" and "talented".

Too many Rocky movies and Miracles on Ice in the ethos.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT