ADVERTISEMENT

7 on 7 results

Stupid colleges and NFL teams that do 7on7 drills!!!!! If they only knew how useless and damaging they are!

I think running drills in practice vs doing a 7-on-7 tournament and thinking winning that tournament holds some level of significance is where the debate is.

7 on 7 drills in camp with pads and light to medium contact is far different than running around in shorts and t shirts. Like I mentioned earlier, what do we learn (couldn’t help myself) by watching a QB under no pressure throwing to receivers who can run freely with no fear of getting lit up? Timing? That will clearly change when in pads.

Route trees? Yah I guess there is something there?

I’ve seen enough QB’s who have been lauded for their 7-on-7 play that didn’t have it translate to the HS field. Guess we could say that happens to lots of positions.

I think too much gets made of the 7-on-7 tournaments.

Reactions: markmacaluso
Additionally, 7-on-7 drills represent a common regular season practice breakdown segment that can occur a couple times every week which underscores the value of this activity. Also, these may be conducted without full pads and full contact, similar to the conditions in summertime.

I'm hoping my team is also practicing change of tempo again this year. They did it in the past but stopped doing it last year.

There are times in a game you can increase the tempo of a game and really take advantage of the defense.

I saw first hand Brother Rice use it very well last year.

Reactions: Gene K.
I think running drills in practice vs doing a 7-on-7 tournament and thinking winning that tournament holds some level of significance is where the debate is.

7 on 7 drills in camp with pads and light to medium contact is far different than running around in shorts and t shirts. Like I mentioned earlier, what do we learn (couldn’t help myself) by watching a QB under no pressure throwing to receivers who can run freely with no fear of getting lit up? Timing? That will clearly change when in pads.

I’ve seen enough QB’s who have been lauded for their 7-on-7 play that didn’t have it translate to the HS field. Guess we could say that happens to lots of positions.

Who is saying winning a 7on7 is significant and = success in season? It’s practice and the tournaments(HS) are to add some competition/fun.

Reactions: markmacaluso
Bottom line is my kid is getting workouts running routes and playing some Defense coverages.I used to be negative on this 7 on 7 thing when my older boy played RB,but now My younger son is a WR/cornerback,I like it.

Imo, most ppl extend the ego that many obtain from 7s' successes to the value of them, and conclude they are meaningless.

I completely completely completely disagree.

1. The bottom line, both offensively and defensively, the drills are reps, a lot of reps, and actually against someone trying to beat you.

2. Way under appreciated are the defensive reps. Especially today, when tackling practice is bygone...I always thought defensively, playing db in 7s was like swinging a donut in the on deck circle.

3. How about the footwork reps for a new qb, route running for receivers, snaps for the center...

4. Conditioning. After these games, kids are dripping sweat, and not from running around the block; from contact drills, when your coach is watching

Yep, lots of ppl get all excited about the results...wrong ... Appreciate the 7s for what they really are, highly competitive practice, against unfamiliar faces.

JC Hilltopper,

Does JCA participate in 7 on 7's? I assume so since years ago they came out to Addison Driscoll for 7 on 7's but I don't ever see them at Red Grange??

JC Hilltopper,

Does JCA participate in 7 on 7's? I assume so since years ago they came out to Addison Driscoll for 7 on 7's but I don't ever see them at Red Grange??

We do, and traditionally do quite well in them. I've been praying for years they would do Red Grange. Imagine jca getting extra reps against montini. I doubt it's THE difference maker, but are these extra reps really...a waste of time? No chance.

Again, too often I think ppl reasonably become annoyed with the ego driven 7 awards...but let our collective heads prevail. These are good, and are beneficial.

Types of 7 on7:

AAU 7 on 7:

- Little to no redeeming value. Do not run your offense or defense, almost strictly cover zero or 2-man.

Competitive HS 7 on 7:
- If a team runs their offense and defense there is value. If a team sits in cover zero or just runs a bunch of one yard crossing routes and fades, then not much value.

Noncompetitive 7 on 7:

- Ball is usually placed on 40 or 10, rotate every 5 or ten plays.
- This usually has value as most teams run their real offense and defense fronts. Most schools will give you time to go over something after a play if needed. Focus is more on teaching than winning.

Practice 7 on 7:
- Usually most beneficial. Focus is simply on yourself and not what others are doing. Also able to control what is being run on both sides to help with coaching.

Who is saying winning a 7on7 is significant and = success in season? It’s practice and the tournaments(HS) are to add some competition/fun.

Well re-read the first post where I won’t mention names says my team went 4-0. He didn’t go as far as say it would = Success in the season but it good be taken as implied especially if you read a few others further down in the thread. It’s good for practice, repetition and getting in shape but half the players that go to these things may not even start on the team. It’s just practice.

Well re-read the first post where I won’t mention names says my team went 4-0. He didn’t go as far as say it would = Success in the season but it good be taken as implied especially if you read a few others further down in the thread. It’s good for practice, repetition and getting in shape but half the players that go to these things may not even start on the team. It’s just practice.
He simply reported his teams results at a 7on7................

I don't disagree but he wasn’t saying it meant anything....

But he wasn’t saying it didn’t mean anything either right?

Let’s say in this case he was merely reporting results without any further implications. That said, the point still stands that if someone else thinks 7v7 score results will have a direct translation on regular season game results (good or bad) they are probably putting their eggs in the wrong basket.

Now, I do agree there is value in the reps and improved timing so it’s not worthless but it’s also not a solid indication of how the team will do in full pads with all 11 players on a Friday night in September.

Please define light to medium contact?? Ty. In advance

I think he is saying if your practicing against your own team even in full pads your not trying to take out your own teammate.

True Corey.

Although there was one exception for me back in the day....There was a OT on my high school team that most everyone else couldn't stand so as a DE I used to tee off on him in practice as much as possible. You know they type (always feigning injury when it was time for sprints and hill runs, put in the minimum level of effort in practice so he was a liability by the second half of most games). He had good size and strength but lacked technique and had a slow motor. For some reason, he was in good with the HC so he got a pass. Unfortunately, he didn't finally quit until late September.

True Corey.

Although there was one exception for me back in the day....There was a OT on my high school team that most everyone else couldn't stand so as a DE I used to tee off on him in practice as much as possible. You know they type (always feigning injury when it was time for sprints and hill runs, put in the minimum level of effort in practice so he was a liability by the second half of most games). He had good size and strength but lacked technique and had a slow motor. For some reason, he was in good with the HC so he got a pass. Unfortunately, he didn't finally quit until late September.

Yeah I know the type. It’s hard to teach work ethic and for some they just don’t have it. Always wanting to take the easy road. Sounds like you experienced this first hand.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT