ADVERTISEMENT

7 on 7 results

MS4EVER

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2004
MS went 4-0 @ Notre Dame earning the top seed. Unfortunately the tournament was canceled due to lightning.

I didn’t know they kept score, I thought it was just for a workout. Like the scrimmages you used to do in grade school.

Reactions: Q5clan
Maybe for some teams. I think for pass heavy teams it is important. Plus it helps you figure out how well your LB's and DB's can cover. MS has learned a lot over the years from 7's.

I agree. If you are a team that run your offense and defense during 7on7, you can learn a lot about your players. It's definitely not the only measuring stick however, there is a lot of value in it.

Reactions: Gene K.
Maybe for some teams. I think for pass heavy teams it is important. Plus it helps you figure out how well your LB's and DB's can cover. MS has learned a lot over the years from 7's.

It's important in the respect that if a team like MS doesn't doe well in them, then they'll really suck during the season. But for the most part, not that important at all.

When I say means nothing I mean nothing about going undefeated. Nobody is rushing the passer. Face it guys this is not real football. It shows if you have talented receivers, DBs and a QB beyond that it’s not worth keeping score.

I once saw a one-armed man pick off a quarterback twice in a seven-on-seven. Was incredible in two regards.

When I say means nothing I mean nothing about going undefeated. Nobody is rushing the passer. Face it guys this is not real football. It shows if you have talented receivers, DBs and a QB beyond that it’s not worth keeping score.

Whenever you compete, score should be kept. If you don't want to keep score, don't move the ball.

Whenever you compete, score should be kept. If you don't want to keep score, don't move the ball.
Some don’t move ball, some say 20 plays put ball where ever you want.

No coach cares about score just if kids are competing. Everyone plays so if you lose to team because your 3rd string guy got beat for 3 TDs who cares. It’s about development and practice

Reactions: McCaravan

No coach cares about score just if kids are competing. Everyone plays so if you lose to team because your 3rd string guy got beat for 3 TDs who cares. It’s about development and practice

Googolddsys you nailed it. Unbelievable some don’t get it. I will say again it doesn’t matter who wins or loses it’s just practice. Period!

Reactions: McCaravan
Both my boys were/are linemen, I went to one of these a couple years ago and watched him stand their and do nothing for two hours. Maybe if they were a skilled position I would have been more interested.

Me personally, I have never understood the concept of 7 on 7. No hitting, no tackling, no real scheming. I don't see how a QB gets better, receivers get better or any of that.

I see players posing with their trophies and such but then you don’t see that translating to regular games once the pass go on. Some I’m sure do.

Don’t see how you can truly assess how good a player is if he’s running around in a t shirt and shorts. And qb’s throwing to them that aren’t under any real pressure

Me personally, I have never understood the concept of 7 on 7. No hitting, no tackling, no real scheming. I don't see how a QB gets better, receivers get better or any of that.

I see players posing with their trophies and such but then you don’t see that translating to regular games once the pass go on. Some I’m sure do.

Don’t see how you can truly assess how good a player is if he’s running around in a t shirt and shorts. And qb’s throwing to them that aren’t under any real pressure

I'll charge you $500 next spring to play and I'll find a way to convince you it matters.

Every Coach cares about score! Only the losing coach make up a BS reason why that lost don’t matter! It is what it is. You play sports to win. You compete to be the best you can be. Hell, why do we keep score during the seasons? Why don’t we just scrimmage on Friday nights and not keep score? Is 7on7 the SAME as 11 on 11. HECK no, not even close! To say it’s pointless is simply not true. Whenever you enter into a tournament, you are trying to win.

Every Coach cares about score! Only the losing coach make up a BS reason why that lost don’t matter! It is what it is. You play sports to win. You compete to be the best you can be. Hell, why do we keep score during the seasons? Why don’t we just scrimmage on Friday nights and not keep score? Is 7on7 the SAME as 11 on 11. HECK no, not even close! To say it’s pointless is simply not true. Whenever you enter into a tournament, you are trying to win.
Think we are talking about 2 different things. Coaches who enter tournaments are there to win. However tournaments only account for maybe 1/5 of 7 on 7s. Most are 4 teams getting together at a school and working on schemes with everyone getting reps.

In many normal 7 on 7s (not tournaments). No one is keeping score, no turnovers, no moving ball. Offense sets ball wherever they want and has 20 plays then they switch. If one team wants all 20 from the 5 they can.

Think we are talking about 2 different things. Coaches who enter tournaments are there to win. However tournaments only account for maybe 1/5 of 7 on 7s. Most are 4 teams getting together at a school and working on schemes with everyone getting reps.

In many normal 7 on 7s (not tournaments). No one is keeping score, no turnovers, no moving ball. Offense sets ball wherever they want and has 20 plays then they switch. If one team wants all 20 from the 5 they can.

Yes I am familiar and agree we are talking two different type of 7on7.

Reactions: Gene K.
Knowing you are not getting hit changes things.

My drives on the driving range have less pressure to em than the ones on a tight fairway. But the ones I hit on the driving range make it more likely I’ll find short grass when I need to. If you only get better when the threat of getting popped is there, then the game is gonna be real sloppy going forward because they don’t hit much anymore until Friday night

Reactions: Relist8
7-7 is a great way to get in shape not much in the way of real football. If they want to keep score fine but it isn’t worth bragging about. Another words you may win at 7-7 but be crap in the season.

Reactions: mc140
I have noticed the teams that do well with the 7 on 7's in the summer do look very poised and relaxed in the season and playoffs when they must run a 2 minute offense.

It may not be necessary for those teams that are run dominant and hardly pass the ball like a Geneseo, JCA, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K. and Relist8
That makes no sense!At the very least your running routes and playing some coverages on defense.

They play 2-Man and Cover 0. It is the same thing as playing ball in the park with your friends. Except you pay hundreds of dollars.

They play 2-Man and Cover 0. It is the same thing as playing ball in the park with your friends. Except you pay hundreds of dollars.

You will notice certain teams run their actual coverages and are successful in 7on7. Yes you have some teams that run 7on7 offense and Defense however those team struggle against above average teams

I have noticed the teams that do well with the 7 on 7's in the summer do look very poised and relaxed in the season and playoffs when they must run a 2 minute offense.

It may not be necessary for those teams that are run dominant and hardly pass the ball like a Geneseo, JCA, etc.
I don't know about the last 10 years or so, but historically JCA has done fairly well in 7 on 7 competitions. Makes you wonder why they wouldn't pass another 10-15 times a game to keep teams from cheating up against the run.

I don’t know about you but I saw more coverage than man in my passing leagues. And I don’t ever recall my buddies yelling at each other for not getting enough depth in their drop at the playground. I don’t see how getting skill position reps could ever not be helpful. The passing game is all about timing. Knowing when #80 gets out of his break vs when #83 gets out of his break on the same route is the difference between a completion and a pick 6. You get that through reps, the more the better.

Your way off on this one!My kids played in a league over the winter and play with their HS in spring and definitely they will tell you the benefits of route running and defensive coverages.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT