ADVERTISEMENT

5A...woof

Possible rematch against Sterling and WSF in round 2. After playing in week 2 of regular season.
I can’t believe I’m saying that with Sterling going 4-5. What a weird year for Sterling, some good games and some ugly games, you never know what your gonna get.

Reactions: mchsalumni
Possible rematch against Sterling and WSF in round 2. After playing in week 2 of regular season.
I can’t believe I’m saying that with Sterling going 4-5. What a weird year for Sterling, some good games and some ugly games, you never know what your gonna get.
Yeah, that Jekyll and Hyde situation is crazy for a fan. But you guys are in, so ride it out.

Reactions: Sterling Warrior
That IS disrespect. But you're still right.....
It's a damn shame but I agree. Payton has an incredibly well-run program, some great talent, and absolutely takes care of business... but just no where close to the depth or size of a school like Sterling, who had 100 kids out to start the summer.

one bad weather game and it takes the best QB out of it. Trust me I know. 2019 title game.
I still get sick thinking about this game. I can't even drive west on 88 towards dekalb without wanting to veer into oncoming traffic to this day

Reactions: colin2229
I still get sick thinking about this game. I can't even drive west on 88 towards dekalb without wanting to veer into oncoming traffic to this day
I still have visions of Malik Turner when driving toward DeKalb, running that jet sweep and absolutely torching the Broncos back in 2014 or so. Makes me sick thinking about the lack of contain by the Montini DEs. @cornerrat will have the details.

Last edited:
5A has very good odds at being an all CCL/ESCC Semi Final. I personally have Sycamore breaking that up and upsetting St. Francis setting up a rematch with Naz where they will once again lose might roadrunners who will move on and defeat JCA in a close but exciting all ESCC final....heard it here first!

• Wow
Reactions: 89morrisgrad
5A has very good odds at being an all CCL/ESCC Semi Final. I personally have Sycamore breaking that up and upsetting St. Francis setting up a rematch with Naz where they will once again lose might roadrunners who will move on and defeat JCA in a close but exciting all ESCC final....heard it here first!
Providence is always sneaky good this time of year…

Providence is always sneaky good this time of year…
They are. But they also got gifted the easiest path to the semifinals and finals of anyone in 5A. If they beat Morton, they will almost certainly get to the semifinals.

The top quadrant of 8 has 2 teams who can win it all. The next quadrant has 3 or 4. The Morris quadrant has 3 or 4. And the bottom quadrant has maybe 2 (Morton and PC, but they are probably the 9th and 10th best teams in the class). So one of them will be in the semis coming off of two blowout wins in the second and third round.

It is what it is. I just would love to see the IHSA use playoff points for qualificiation but then once the 32 teams are set, some combination of media members or IHSA staff or even coaches seed the field in a common sense way where PR is #1, Morris #2, St. Francis #3, Sycamore #4, Carmel #5, etc.

Then you could be looking at a quarterfinal like this.....

1 PR
8 SHG

4 Sycamore
5 Carmel

3 SF
6 Peoria

2 Morris
7 JC

You don't even need to seed 9-32. You can do it geographically in part if you want. You can take all the 9-0 teams and the next best couple and spread them out. In this case perhaps spread Antioch, PC, Morton, and Morgan Park or Naz into different quadrants.

I get the issues with sectional seeding in baseball, basketball, etc. But I think seeding 1-8 and filling in the rest would be a great way to bracket the playoff. Perhaps create a committee of retired coaches or referees to seed, like the CFP committee.

Last edited:
Reactions: rjjtwest
I still have visions of Malik Turner when driving toward DeKalb, running that jet sweep and absolutely torching the Broncos back in 2014 or so. Makes me sick thinking about the lack of contain by the Montini DEs. @cornerrat will have the details.
I remember that game vividly. The Offensive Tackle for SH took out our highly touted defensive end, who shall remain nameless, out of the game allowing Malik Turner to run wild. I also remember trying to leave after the game and the entire town of Batavia was attempting to get into the seating area while the Montini fans were trying to get out.

No, it shouldn't. The reason they are 4-5 is because of tough schedule. Those teams deserve it more than 9-0 teams who don't play anyone.
Thank you! I agree. Now if only some of us 4-5's can go out and prove that this weekend. That'd be the great kicker!

I have no doubt there will be a 4-5 team making some noise this weekend. Maybe you can watch them next weekend after QND gets pounded as a proverbial bye week for Arthur. Look for either Naz or Sterling to bust some 5A brackets.

I have no doubt there will be a 4-5 team making some noise this weekend. Maybe you can watch them next weekend after QND gets pounded as a proverbial bye week for Arthur. Look for either Naz or Sterling to bust some 5A brackets.
I get you hate QND for whatever reason but both QND and Sterling are favored to win so that wouldn't bust any brackets.

I get you hate QND for whatever reason but both QND and Sterling are favored to win so that wouldn't bust any brackets.
If 4-5 Sterling gets to the second round meeting SF for the 2nd time this year they will stand no chance unless they play the passing game they are capable of playing. The defense will have to play outstanding as well as they have in certain games, This team is capable but it all has to come together yet. If they try running up the middle every play it could get ugly. If they play like they did against Quincy could be interesting. But let’s see if that game even happens yet, this has been a crazy year for Sterling and nothing would surprise me.

If 4-5 Sterling gets to the second round meeting SF for the 2nd time this year they will stand no chance unless they play the passing game they are capable of playing. The defense will have to play outstanding as well as they have in certain games, This team is capable but it all has to come together yet. If they try running up the middle every play it could get ugly. If they play like they did against Quincy could be interesting. But let’s see if that game even happens yet, this has been a crazy year for Sterling and nothing would surprise me.
I can’t speak to Sterling but SF is a much much better team than week 2. I know lots of teams can say that but their O is pretty well oiled right now and they can run the ball. But win R1 first.

Reactions: Sterling Warrior
I haven't watched any Sterling games on line this year. Are their broadcasts still first-rate? I always liked the fact that they showed instant replays.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT