ADVERTISEMENT

5A South - Round 2

4hhsbulldogs

Oct 21, 2017
Mt. Zion at JCA

Unfortunate for Mt. Zion to be bumped from 4A to 5A this year. Very good team that played a tough schedule and ran the table in the regular season. Most playoff points for 9-0 team I believe? I will take JCA by 10 but think MTZ could give them a game. 31-21

Kankakee at Mascoutah

I don’t know anything about Kankakee. Mascoutah could very well have the best opportunity for a MVC team to advance to the quarters. I’ll take Mascoutah in the upset with another late score for the win. 38-35

Rochester at Highland

Highland meets the team that knocked them out of the playoffs in a 2017 4A semifinal. Unfortunately for them I think Rochester proves to be too much again. Both teams very welled coached. Highland has not lost at home since 2015 so maybe that plays a part. If they want to compete in this game they will need to be clean in the turnover and penalty columns. They must also possess the ball and keep that Rochester offense on the sideline. Rochester by 17. 38-21

Triad at SHG

I could see Triad giving SHG some fits in this game with their style of play. If SHG can get up early on they will cruise. If Triad can control the time of possession and punch it in when getting to the red zone they could make a game of it. With that being said I think the CS8 shows the MVC up a little this weekend. SHG by 24 setting up a Leonardbowl quarterfinal. 45-21

Last edited:
Reactions: crusader_of_90
I’d tend to agree with you for all of those picks, but I think Highland and Triad will keep it a little closer than you predict. I think Highland will stay close enough to have a shot to make something happen later in the game if they use a similar offensive style to what they did against Triad. And I think SHG will be hard pressed to put up 45 without Triad at least breaking 30. I believe Triad blocked two punts and returned two kick returns for touchdowns last week so if they can get some big plays on special teams again, they should be right there. But I still think most of your analysis of those two games is pretty good.

Mt. Zion at JCA

Unfortunate for Mt. Zion to be bumped from 4A to 5A this year. Very good team that played a tough schedule and ran the table in the regular season. Most playoff points for 9-0 team I believe? I will take JCA by 10 but think MTZ could give them a game. 31-21

Kankakee at Mascoutah

I don’t know anything about Kankakee. Mascoutah could very well have the best opportunity for a MVC team to advance to the quarters. I’ll take Mascoutah in the upset with another late score for the win. 38-35

Rochester at Highland

Highland meets the team that knocked them out of the playoffs in a 2017 4A semifinal. Unfortunately for them I think Rochester proves to be too much again. Both teams very welled coached. Highland has not lost at home since 2015 so maybe that plays a part. If they want to compete in this game they will need to be clean in the turnover and penalty columns. They must also possess the ball and keep that Rochester offense on the sideline. Rochester by 17. 38-21

SHG at Triad

I could see Triad giving SHG some fits in this game with their style of play. If SHG can get up early on they will cruise. If Triad can control the time of possession and punch it in when getting to the red zone they could make a game of it. With that being said I think the CS8 shows the MVC up a little this weekend. SHG by 24 setting up a Leonardbowl quarterfinal. 45-21

I appreciate your effort in providing this analysis of the upcoming 5A South games. Was not aware of Highland's run of home victories, but I think your analysis of the Rochester/Highland game is fairly accurate.

As for Mt. Zion at JCA, I can see no reasonable scenario in which the Braves hang with the Hillmen.

Kankakee @ Mascoutah. I believe the Kays have too much speed and athleticism for the Indians to handle over the course of an entire game. However, the trip from Kankakee to Mascoutah is a long one, both in terms of distance and time, so it will be interesting to see if that will have any effect on the Kays' play.

Triad @ SHG You very well could be correct in your analysis of this game. If the Cyclones would have put Morris away like they were on the road to doing last Saturday (leading 43-19 in the 4th Quarter), I'd say for sure SHG would win, However, they did not bury Morris and ended up holding off the Redskins' furious comeback, finally winning 43-35. No way would I pick SHG as a sure winner (or even a favorite) going forward this postseason. Unlike good teams, this Cyclone team does not know how to put the hammer down on teams when they should. A coaching or a player deficiency? Not sure. I just know that a team is never out of it when playing them. You could also be very well correct in the Knights giving SHG fits with their style of play.

Reactions: Gene K.
Coach Warnecke has built a nice program for Highland. After looking it up last night he is 42-4 at home since 2012. Now granted, the regular season foes have not been CS8 competition, but still impressive in my eyes.

How does JCA compare to last years state champ team?

Like I said I know nothing about Kankakee. The one thing about Mascoutah is they are typically faster then your other southern 4a/5a teams, so maybe that with the travel can give them a chance?

Very intrigued to see what happens at Triad this weekend. I have seen posters predicting both ways. I do know that Triad has always struggled to get back into games when down big early though.

I’m pulling for the Triad and Highland upsets. Would love to see Highland host a quarterfinal game against their biggest rival.

Coach Warnecke has built a nice program for Highland. After looking it up last night he is 42-4 at home since 2012. Now granted, the regular season foes have not been CS8 competition, but still impressive in my eyes.

Like I said I know nothing about Kankakee. The one thing about Mascoutah is they are typically faster then your other southern 4a/5a teams, so maybe that with the travel can give them a chance?

Very intrigued to see what happens at Triad this weekend. I have seen posters predicting both ways. I do know that Triad has always struggled to get back into games when down big early though.

I’m pulling for the Triad and Highland upsets. Would love to see Highland host a quarterfinal game against their biggest rival.

All.... Triad plays at SHG. Ratsy

Although very young,(JCA starts 7 Juniors and as many as 8 Sophs), I would say all around this is a better JCA team than last year. The offensive backs are as good or better than last year The defense is much better. The back 7 is as good as they have had in years. They only place where they may not be as good is on the O-Line. Last year started 5 seniors, this year 2 juniors and 2 sophs. However, the line has improved tremendously and I wouldnt call it a weakness. I believe Mt Zion is gonna have a tough time staying with the Hilltoppers on Saturday.

They only place where they may not be as good is on the O-Line. Last year started 5 seniors, this year 2 juniors and 2 sophs. However, the line has improved tremendously and I wouldnt call it a weakness.
Yeah I love how this young OL is maturing and getting better every week. It makes me appreciate Douglas & Rudy even more than I already did, which I never would have thought possible. I already had both of those guys pegged as 2 of the greatest assistant / behind the scene coaches in Illinois HS football.

IDK if this team is better than 2018 or not, but they certainly remind me of last year's team. The 2019 Hilltoppers certainly have their own identity and are fun to watch.

Although very young,(JCA starts 7 Juniors and as many as 8 Sophs), I would say all around this is a better JCA team than last year. The offensive backs are as good or better than last year The defense is much better. The back 7 is as good as they have had in years. They only place where they may not be as good is on the O-Line. Last year started 5 seniors, this year 2 juniors and 2 sophs. However, the line has improved tremendously and I wouldnt call it a weakness. I believe Mt Zion is gonna have a tough time staying with the Hilltoppers on Saturday.
I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the running backs. This years backs are indeed very good but Keenan Haley was very special in his ability to take over games.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the running backs. This years backs are indeed very good but Keenan Haley was very special in his ability to take over games.
Not to mention JCA's 2018 underappreciated senior fullback Nick Iannantone who stepped up on the biggest HS stage when Haley went down and performed at a level that many might call Legendary.

That's fair, Keenan had a great year last year. He also had a better line opening holes last year. I just think this year the back field has more weapons (Mack, Anderson, WIlliams) and is every bit as skilled as the backfield last year.

Not to mention JCA's 2018 underappreciated senior fullback Nick Iannantone who stepped up on the biggest HS stage when Haley went down and performed at a level that many might call Legendary.
Been very impressed with Nick's soph. brother Vinny, when he's gotten some chances on the varsity recently. He's going to be very good the next few years. IMO, he's good enough to get some time this year, if the opportunity presents itself.

Been very impressed with Nick's soph. brother Vinny, when he's gotten some chances on the varsity recently. He's going to be very good the next few years. IMO, he's good enough to get some time this year, if the opportunity presents itself.
Yes I was very impressed with Vinny. He's a different kind of runner then Nick more speed and quick moves. Whereas Nick had surprising speed but seemed to love running people over.

There is another younger brother who's still in grade school who according to their Mother (I think) may or may not be interested in playing football.

JCA was a force last year. I was frustrated with Highlands draw and having to go to them in the quarters. The two backs mentioned were both studs. Are they playing anywhere?

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
JCA was a force last year. I was frustrated with Highlands draw and having to go to them in the quarters. The two backs mentioned were both studs. Are they playing anywhere?

Keenan Hailey is playing at Quincy Univ
Iannantone is playing baseball at a JC

Nice. I have seen quite few games at Quincy, although it has been probably 10-15 years. I wonder if that stadium is still holding up. It was sorta deteriorating from what I remember. It seemed like they always had a good tailgate there though.

Mt Zion 14
JCA. 27
FINAL

Triad. 13
SHG. 27
FINAL

Rochester 42
Highland 7
FINAL

Highland had their chances but failed to score on at least 3 red zone trips. Rochester clearly better and had more discipline. I left after Rochester scored their 5th TD. Highland did blank Rochester in the 3rd quarter. I think Rochester handles SHG next week at home.

Mascoutah up 7-0 after 1Q.

I do think last year Highland team would have taken it to Rochester today. IMO they win by two scores. Wrong year wrong time. Good luck to Mascoutah tonight and hopefully they can hang on and represent the MVC.

Mt Zion 14
JCA. 27
FINAL

Triad. 13
SHG. 27
FINAL

Rochester 42
Highland 7
FINAL

Highland had their chances but failed to score on at least 3 red zone trips. Rochester clearly better and had more discipline. I left after Rochester scored their 5th TD. Highland did blank Rochester in the 3rd quarter. I think Rochester handles SHG next week at home.

Mascoutah up 7-0 after 1Q.

I do think last year Highland team would have taken it to Rochester today. IMO they win by two scores. Wrong year wrong time. Good luck to Mascoutah tonight and hopefully they can hang on and represent the MVC.
I agree with the prediction of Rochester over SHG. SHG didn’t look like anything special today against Triad and it seems Rochester dominated today

The game was closer than final score. Rochester clearly better than Highland. Highland showed their youth and you have to score when you get to the red zone. IMO

I’d say Triad vs SHG was a lot closer than the score showed as well. The game was decided by probably less than 10 major plays. I think SHG is best off with refs that swallow their whistles a bit next week cause they seem to struggle a bit with correctly executing some plays legally. Didn’t burn them today, but it definitely could next week

Mascoutah hangs on to win at then end.

22-18 FINAL.

4/4 on my projections.

I’ll take JCA and Rochester next week.

congrats to Mascoutah on representing the MVC. I think the conference is tougher than some give them credit for.

Reactions: Formicidae13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT