ADVERTISEMENT

#1 Stevie vs #4 SHG, #2 Providence vs #3 Nazareth

ESCC fan

Nov 15, 2003
College Football style playoff. Now THIS would be fun. Any predictions on how it would shake out? I'd pay a decent price for tickets to these games.

Was thinking same thing. Would be kind of a bummer for SHG with both backs out but this would be a ot of fun.

Never gonna happen, especially after news today of a former Don filing suit over concusions.

Great idea. I think we all know this wouldn't happen but it's fun to play out the "what if" scenarios. In this seeding I would take Stevie over SHG and Naz over Provi in double OT. I would then take Naz over Stevie.

JMO, but I would take PC over any of the others. For that matter, I would take CG over any of them as well.

Stevenson and PC have a common opponent in LA. PC lost to them WITH Boykin and Stevenson beat them. Stevenson is definitely#1

It would be a fun playoff to watch. All teams are strong and comparable in talent unlike most other years.

Go through each positional group match-up and tell me where Nazareth is at a disadvantage against these teams.

People automatically say Naz is 6A and thus third, but I'm struggling t find where they are on the wrong side of a match-up. Nazareth is the most talented team in the state.

I won't argue with Stevenson being ranked #1, they started there and were undefeated. But based on what I saw in the Champaign games I'd put my money on PC, and then CG vs. anyone else.

My opinion is we already had round 1 of the playoffs with 7-8A.title is PC v Stevenson

Me also, I can't put SHG at #4 unless they schedule tougher teams during the regular season & getting through the soft 5A south bracket is laughable. If they played a CCL or ESCC schedule then I would give them #4.

At minimum I would make SHG play Cary Grove for the final #4 seed. If they beat CG they earned it but I think CG beats SHG.

I would say the top 4 teams for the playoff would be ....

#1 Stevie
#2 Provi
#3 Naz
#4 Cary Grove.

In these matchups I think Stevie knocks out Cary Grove in a very close game and Provi beats Naz. Then Stevie against Provi, I don't know who would win that one.

Wassup
This post was edited on 12/1 9:12 PM by Wassup13

I can't stop thinking that Stevenson is one last minute fumble from not even being in the conversation.

If u go back and look at many of the champs in the top 2 classes-many have come down to one play. Whether its LWE in 05 v Maine South in OT or 2009 WWS GW in OT etc. very common

Originally posted by DeanOfSelection:

If u go back and look at many of the champs in the top 2 classes-many have come down to one play. Whether its LWE in 05 v Maine South in OT or 2009 WWS GW in OT etc. very common
Correct, but Stevie had a couple playoff games come down to the last play.

They also had a very brutal path just to get to the final. Lyons from one of the toughest leagues in the state, Loyola, a new trier team with one loss and winning at GBW which doesn't happen too often.

And couple that with having to beat HF a second time.

Close or not, their still state champs in the biggest class in the state.

LWE 2005 v WWS in semi came down to last play to. the Maine S in OT. very common.

LWE beat WWS at home 14-7 stopped Dierking 4th and inches late on their 10. nobody disputed LWE #1 in 05 cause they beat 2 great teams in close games.

14-0 against a good schedule - only 2 of he 14 played were not playoff teams. They were number 1 pretty much half the year - didn't do anything to change that. AP, edgy, sun times , tribune, herald.

Agreed and MTC was clear No. 1. But some years 8A does have the best team too.

Dean and Newt,

I'm just sayin you guys always insist on Bigger being better...this is your collective opinion and I will recognize that...I just don't agree with it all the time. These circumstances are why I wish we played a two game final elimination between 5-8A teams or go back to 6 classes, or in my very jaded opinion 4 classes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT