ADVERTISEMENT

What's the Scoop on Phillips

So you are saying go to school and get killed so HHS can win a ball game. They are in the CPS which mean there are in the current District. What school they attend is up to the district. As long as they are living in the CPS and going to a CPS school then there isn't a problem. Now in they lived in HF district and go to Phillips, now you have something to discuss. Or if they live in CPS and goes to a suburban school. Boundaries are clearly defined by the school District. If the CPS was unethical, they could build a super team at each school for each sport!

So you are saying go to school and get killed so HHS can win a ball game. They are in the CPS which mean there are in the current District. What school they attend is up to the district. As long as they are living in the CPS and going to a CPS school then there isn't a problem. Now in they lived in HF district and go to Phillips, now you have something to discuss. Or if they live in CPS and goes to a suburban school. Boundaries are clearly defined by the school District. If the CPS was unethical, they could build a super team at each school for each sport!

That's incredibly weak.. let them go to any school they want, just follow the IHSA rules to be eligible for athletics..

The rest of what you said is completely untrue.. Can a kid that lives in New Lenox choose between LWW, LWE and LWC to play at??? How about down by you, if you live in Belleville can you choose to play at either East or West regardless of where you live??

What Phillips is doing is like what the CCL schools do, but at least they get knocked for a multiplier..

That's incredibly weak.. let them go to any school they want, just follow the IHSA rules to be eligible for athletics..

The rest of what you said is completely untrue.. Can a kid that lives in New Lenox choose between LWW, LWE and LWC to play at??? How about down by you, if you live in Belleville can you choose to play at either East or West regardless of where you live??

What Phillips is doing is like what the CCL schools do, but at least they get knocked for a multiplier..

Please read again, the District set the boundary not IHSA. IHSA follow the boundary set by the district. So IF Belleville decided to have open boundaries with there two school then the answer would be yes they could go to either one. When LWN closed, the District decided how the kids would be split up. In that case LWE received another team and moved up to 8A while LWW moved up to 7a with a team that would have made plenty of noise in 5A again like last year. IHSA didn't determine were the kids went.

That said, CPS could build mega teams if they like but chose to be somewhat fair. In all these years Phillips is the only school with a football championship. This is hardly a conspiracy to dominate football!

I tend to agree with you LHS, but 6 D1 players is a very inordinate amount for a 4A school. It doesn't pass the smell test IMO.

I tend to agree with you LHS, but 6 D1 players is a very inordinate amount for a 4A school. It doesn't pass the smell test IMO.
How about 3 power 5 runningbacks in a single backfield in 5A? Or a guy going to Notre Dame and another to Ohio State on a 5A defense?

Please read again, the District set the boundary not IHSA. IHSA follow the boundary set by the district. So IF Belleville decided to have open boundaries with there two school then the answer would be yes they could go to either one. When LWN closed, the District decided how the kids would be split up. In that case LWE received another team and moved up to 8A while LWW moved up to 7a with a team that would have made plenty of noise in 5A again like last year. IHSA didn't determine were the kids went.

That said, CPS could build mega teams if they like but chose to be somewhat fair. In all these years Phillips is the only school with a football championship. This is hardly a conspiracy to dominate football!

You are completely incorrect and no idea what you are talking about..

First off, if Belleville did that they would be assigned a multiplier..

CPS has set a neighborhood boundary for Phillips, thus no multiplier by the IHSA... but they are still getting kids from outside of that boundary, why the IHSA allows that is just crazy..

As for your mega team comment... CPS schools other than Phillps went 0-16 in the first round, most by running clocks.. Phillps won the 2015 4A title 51-7 if I remember correctly and appears set to roll to the 2016 4A title as well... Whats that say about the talent distribution in the city??

How about 3 power 5 runningbacks in a single backfield in 5A? Or a guy going to Notre Dame and another to Ohio State on a 5A defense?
Well if you're saying Phillips isn't the only one cheating, then I don't buy that kind of excuse. If not I apologize.

Plus the fact that nobody had ever heard of Phillips football prior to 2014.. if it smells like crap, it is..

Well if you're saying Phillips isn't the only one cheating, then I don't buy that kind of excuse. If not I apologize.
Im not saying anyone is cheating. Just pointing out the selective outrage.

Well the IHSA has been trying to level the playing field for quite awhile now. It should be done consistently across the board, be it private, CPS, or downstate.

Well the IHSA has been trying to level the playing field for quite awhile now. It should be done consistently across the board, be it private, CPS, or downstate.
So one CPL championship shows the field isnt level? Or what are we basing this perceived advantage on? Can we apply it across the board?

If Phillips win say maybe 3 in a row, you may see a change. Right now, I don't see a problem with it.

You are completely incorrect and no idea what you are talking about..

First off, if Belleville did that they would be assigned a multiplier..

CPS has set a neighborhood boundary for Phillips, thus no multiplier by the IHSA... but they are still getting kids from outside of that boundary, why the IHSA allows that is just crazy..

As for your mega team comment... CPS schools other than Phillps went 0-16 in the first round, most by running clocks.. Phillps won the 2015 4A title 51-7 if I remember correctly and appears set to roll to the 2016 4A title as well... Whats that say about the talent distribution in the city??

They would not be assigned a multiplier. Boundary is specific to District, not school. As long as the District has a boundary, they are considered to have a boundary.

So its ok to play by different rules only if you win 3 championships in a row???? LOL

Never agreed that they were playing by different rules. That is your claim not mine. My response was to competitive balance.

I just have to chuckle. I have been talking for years about schools with top class talent playing schools in small school classes. Everyone was like "bones youre cray cray" "bones you dont know what you talmbout" "bones all these schools with college sized offensive lines and NFL sized LBs are the same as the guys from Roxana" so on and so forth.

Now all of a sudden, there is a problem . well ill be damned.

They would not be assigned a multiplier. Boundary is specific to District, not school. As long as the District has a boundary, they are considered to have a boundary.

That's completely false, read the IHSA bylaws..

If what you think is true, why do many CPS schools have a multiplier???

The biggest advantage Phillips has is coaching. Other CPS teams don't have it. It's no coincidence they started the turnaround when McCallister took over. While they do have 6 guys who will likely play D1 in college none of them are 5 star athletes or anything of the sort. Elmore is probably the best player on the team and he is going to a MAC school I believe. How many 4 or 5 star recruits do you think Chicago has and Phillips has none of them. Like others have said if they wanted to build a CPS ringer team they could go way better. Lot of talent in the CPS, just poor coaching.

The biggest advantage Phillips has is coaching. Other CPS teams don't have it. It's no coincidence they started the turnaround when McCallister took over. While they do have 6 guys who will likely play D1 in college none of them are 5 star athletes or anything of the sort. Elmore is probably the best player on the team and he is going to a MAC school I believe. How many 4 or 5 star recruits do you think Chicago has and Phillips has none of them. Like others have said if they wanted to build a CPS ringer team they could go way better. Lot of talent in the CPS, just poor coaching.

CPS has a grand total of zero 4 and 5 start recruits this year according to 247... highest ranked recruit is Elmore at #34... these kids get it, they have no chance of winning a title in 7A or 8A, so they take the same talent and play at a 4A school..

True, they are not in the traditional wheelhouse of CPS football talent which tends to be south of 63rd Street into the "hundreds" and traditionally goes to Simeon, MP, CVS. Solorio is cutting into Hubbards base, and Sarah Goode (old Nabisco area) might have hastened Bogan's demise.

CPS has a grand total of zero 4 and 5 start recruits this year according to 247... highest ranked recruit is Elmore at #34... these kids get it, they have no chance of winning a title in 7A or 8A, so they take the same talent and play at a 4A school..

I said in Chicago, not just the CPS.

That's completely false, read the IHSA bylaws..

If what you think is true, why do many CPS schools have a multiplier???

CPS police themselves my friend. They decide if a school has a multiplier or not. IHSA do not get involved with CPS schools.

You said CPS ringer team... did you not???

I did, there is a lot of talent in Chicago that does not go to Phillips agree? There is also a lot of talent in the CPS that does not go to Phillips. Simeon has several that would make Phillips a better team. Same for Curie. Solorio's QB would make Phillips better. Olojo would start for them as well. I could go on but my point is there is talent all over the CPS, just not as much and not as much coaching. It takes both.

Why is this though? Conferences don't get to police themselves.

Technically they do. Most things go through conference before IHSA get's involved. Once information is presented from a Conference Representative or a credible source, IHSA will then begin an investigation.

Technically they do. Most things go through conference before IHSA get's involved. Once information is presented from a Conference Representative or a credible source, IHSA will then begin an investigation.

Again, not true

CPS follows the same rules as the other IHSA member schools..

Again, not true

CPS follows the same rules as the other IHSA member schools..

NO ONE said they didn't. You just like typing stuff. I said they police themselves. CPS is who pull the plug on Currie a couple of years ago for Basketball, not IHSA. If you read that article most of your answers will be in there.

The altered topic is about Boundary in which the District is responsible for determining this information. Until CPS classify Phillips as an open enrollment school, it will not get a multiplier.

NO ONE said they didn't. You just like typing stuff. I said they police themselves. CPS is who pull the plug on Currie a couple of years ago for Basketball, not IHSA. If you read that article most of your answers will be in there.

The altered topic is about Boundary in which the District is responsible for determining this information. Until CPS classify Phillips as an open enrollment school, it will not get a multiplier.

The the IHSA needs to investigate and see where these kids live because its not within their defined boundary

Phillips VS Althoff 4A championship....then we can revisit this topic..my money is on Althoff. In my opinion they both should be playing in 6A....

.If the city of ESL was better, the whole Althoff team would be playing at East Side.

If he's that good money wasn't the issue. Maybe grades were not where they needed to be to secure the money.
He could always pull the "avoiding an certain gang/opposing gangs going near 79th/Western or on the way to/from" card, but that didnt end up working out for that CVS from Julian transfer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT