ADVERTISEMENT

What's the Scoop on Phillips

It's implied that you are asking for preferred rules. This thread has turned to how Phillips' enrollment is determined.

We'll stipulate private to public transfer rules are different, yes?

That leaves us with enrollment determination question again.

It's not scary, as you claim, like there is some establishment against Phillips. It just needs to stand to the scrutiny that others are held to for it to before it can be celebrated.

No, it is assumed, which I am not. Also I am privy to quite a bit more information than you are so I guess for now you will have to trust me when I say that Phillips is the most scrutinized and watched program in the city of Chicago. Maybe some day we can discuss things over a beer in a local watering hole.

But how can you pom pom for Althoff and poo poo on Phillips?
You really could not have thought that was a smart argument. Even when you're obviously wrong and take a contrasometimes you have better logic.

Here, I can't see it.
No, it is assumed, which I am not. Also I am privy to quite a bit more information than you are so I guess for now you will have to trust me when I say that Phillips is the most scrutinized and watched program in the city of Chicago. Maybe some day we can discuss things over a beer in a local watering hole.
Fine.

And we're going to kick you ass this time after thanksgiving. Maybe.

Reactions: CPSFan
At the end of the day hhs is crusty because he knows what lies ahead for his tigers. If not for Philips they probably have a good shot for semi's or even a title game. It's the same old story though whining about recruiting, privates schools, and mostly things he has no control over but won't let die.

At the end of the day hhs is crusty because he knows what lies ahead for his tigers. If not for Philips they probably have a good shot for semi's or even a title game. It's the same old story though whining about recruiting, privates schools, and mostly things he has no control over but won't let die.

Oh cripes, this jagbag again.

Reactions: Robert Maszak
LHST,

I agree with you that if the kid and his parent/guardian feels this is his best fit then he should by all means be allowed to transfer there and thrive.

One fine point is that he will need a 2.3 NCAA core GPA not cumulative GPA minimum, and at that GPA level will require an 84 sum ACT which is a 21 not 18 or 19.

I think the key to this whole arguement is that it should be in the best interest of the student academically and for extracirculars regardless of if they are black white purple or red. I can't wait till we have a country that doesn't see color as a warning or a crutch.

Once you attend those type of schools you would understand. At the end of the day, there are good and bad students at EVERY school. In a school like Phillips, the bad may outweigh the good however if you are going for an athletic scholarship, 2.3 and 18 or 19 is your goal. Once you get to college you are back on a level playing field sitting in a classroom next to the kid that scored a 36 on the ACT.

You really could not have thought that was a smart argument. Even when you're obviously wrong and take a contrasometimes you have better logic.

Here, I can't see it.

Fine.

And we're going to kick you ass this time after thanksgiving. Maybe.

Youre saying one team collects talent from near and far and ignoring that the other does too. Consistency cru, consistency.

Last edited:
I would love to see the neighborhoods the kids come from, I bet the population base of that area is a quite a bit bigger than that of the normal 4A public school, which is somewhere in the area of 15000....

I would love to see the neighborhoods the kids come from, I bet the population base of that area is a quite a bit bigger than that of the normal 4A public school, which is somewhere in the area of 15000....

So are you saying that football classifications should be based on population density in the schools area? If so then every single Chicago area school belongs in 8A.

So are you saying that football classifications should be based on population density in the schools area? If so then every single Chicago area school belongs in 8A.

Not 8A, but higher than 4A.. Phillips can draw kids from a pool of maybe 50,000 boys, the rest of 4A public schools are drawing from 300-400 boys..how is that fair??

This year they have 6 D1 recruits.. the Interstate Eight is perhaps the best 3A/4A conference in the state, the 12 schools in that conference havent had 6 D1 recruits in the last 10 years combined..

Not 8A, but higher than 4A.. Phillips can draw kids from a pool of maybe 50,000 boys, the rest of 4A public schools are drawing from 300-400 boys..how is that fair??

This year they have 6 D1 recruits.. the Interstate Eight is perhaps the best 3A/4A conference in the state, the 12 schools in that conference havent had 6 D1 recruits in the last 10 years combined..

I tried to go back to 2014 and find a thread on this same complaint about unfair CPS advantage and couldn't. Care to guess why?

Reactions: Cross Bones
I tried to go back to 2014 and find a thread on this same complaint about unfair CPS advantage and couldn't. Care to guess why?

Until now, this kind of stuff only happened in basketball... dont think there has been complaining there????

At least Simeon plays 4A basketball, Phillips being in 4A football is a joke..

Which goes back to my question.... who in their right mind choses to leave Rita for Phillips
Again not everyone can afford to pay tuition and he may live in that neighborhood and be comfortable in that setting. It is not for you to understand . What is best for that kid and his family.

Again not everyone can afford to pay tuition and he may live in that neighborhood and be comfortable in that setting. It is not for you to understand . What is best for that kid and his family.

And thats fine.. my point that when a school is allowed to draw the top talent in the city and then competes in 4A, the rest of the bracket is getting screwed..

They have a defined boundary on their website, that allows them to avoid a multiplier.. but I keep hearing their players live in all parts on the city.. Is that true???

My gut tells me the IHSA is following a policy to classify them and they dont understand where Phillips is getting their athletes from..

The odd thing is, their high school isnt even located in their defined boundary if the CPS website is accurate..

Until now, this kind of stuff only happened in basketball... dont think there has been complaining there????

At least Simeon plays 4A basketball, Phillips being in 4A football is a joke..

So your fine with kids moving as long as their not good and lose their games. That sum up what you just said?

And thats fine.. my point that when a school is allowed to draw the top talent in the city and then competes in 4A, the rest of the bracket is getting screwed..

They have a defined boundary on their website, that allows them to avoid a multiplier.. but I keep hearing their players live in all parts on the city.. Is that true???

My gut tells me the IHSA is following a policy to classify them and they dont understand where Phillips is getting their athletes from..

The odd thing is, their high school isnt even located in their defined boundary if the CPS website is accurate..

I am pretty sure the IHSA is well aware of Phillips and where they draw students from. I am sure they are volunteered info daily.

Winning one championship is not a problem. Also Phillips had a couple of close games leading up to the championship game both years. Phillips beat Althoff simply because they weren't ready for physical football going into the championship game. I am sure if they meet again, being physical will not be as much as an issue as last year.

I am pretty sure the IHSA is well aware of Phillips and where they draw students from. I am sure they are volunteered info daily.

I keep hearing they have kids on the team from all over the city, which is allowed according to the admissions guidelines on the CPS website.. I would love to see the addresses of the kids on the football roster.. are they within the defined boundary??? Or just within the CPS???

Their policy seems to be that they are a neighborhood school with a defined boundary, but kids are allowed to attend there from anywhere in the city..

I keep hearing they have kids on the team from all over the city, which is allowed according to the admissions guidelines on the CPS website.. I would love to see the addresses of the kids on the football roster.. are they within the defined boundary??? Or just within the CPS???

Their policy seems to be that they are a neighborhood school with a defined boundary, but kids are allowed to attend there from anywhere in the city..

While you are at it, look to see how many kids live in the same house/ apartment throughout their time at phillips. You can't compare suburban life to city life. Complain all you want but if Phillips really wanted to "cheat" they could have a much better team than what they have now. Do you know how many kids live in the city that can play football?

While you are at it, look to see how many kids live in the same house/ apartment throughout their time at phillips. You can't compare suburban life to city life. Complain all you want but if Phillips really wanted to "cheat" they could have a much better team than what they have now. Do you know how many kids live in the city that can play football?

If I am understanding you right...Not sure what living in the same house has to do with it.. we have kids that move too.. guess what??? They transfer to a new school.. IHSA rule is you have to live within the school district to be eligible to play.. If we have a stud baseball kid and he moves to Coal City, he doesnt just keep playing baseball at HHS.. thats a clear violation

If I am understanding you right...Not sure what living in the same house has to do with it.. we have kids that move too.. guess what??? They transfer to a new school.. IHSA rule is you have to live within the school district to be eligible to play.. If we have a stud baseball kid and he moves to Coal City, he doesnt just keep playing baseball at HHS.. thats a clear violation

Transferring a kid every six month is not healthy for a kid just so your football team can win a game. Is it about the kid or fans having something to brag on. It a lot of cases, its safer for a kid to stay with the coach than it is to stay at home.

I am sure if Phillips was moved up to 5A or higher, they wouldn't have a problem. If they are on your schedule, beat them and quit crying. If you can't beat them then you don't have a good football team. Turn in the pads and try again next year!

Transferring a kid every six month is not healthy for a kid just so your football team can win a game. Is it about the kid or fans having something to brag on. It a lot of cases, its safer for a kid to stay with the coach than it is to stay at home.

I am sure if Phillips was moved up to 5A or higher, they wouldn't have a problem. If they are on your schedule, beat them and quit crying. If you can't beat them then you don't have a good football team. Turn in the pads and try again next year!

First off, you have no idea is there are kids on the team like that.. Secondly, IF it is happening, they are breaking the rules set by IHSA membership, cant just break them when it benefits your team.. And based on what their website says, as long as living within the city, anyone has the ability to attend there..

Which is the problem.. where exactly are the kids living??? Within their defined boundary??

As we saw with Jackie Robinson West, things do happen in that area...

Merely a coincidence...

This article is from last year.. this kid does not live in the schools defined boundary

Every weekday morning, Skanes rides the Green Line L near his house on the South Side to school five train stops and a short walk away. Every night, he gets a ride home from practice from his dad, Quincy. Beyond that, the football star isn't exactly running to daylight.

"I don't even come outside unless I have to, that's how tough it is where I live,'' Skanes said. "I'm cautious. You've gotta be.''

He used to live in Englewood before moving to Park Manor, two Chicago neighborhoods where residents coexist among gangs and gunfire. Asked Thursday about steering clear of danger, Skanes pointed to the practice field at Mandrake Park on East Pershing Road.

Rochester has also had a ridiculous ratio of d1 kids to their size.

Rochester has also had a ridiculous ratio of d1 kids to their size.

Yes they have, but they are all kids that live within their school district.. Cox twins the first transfers that will get D1 looks? Dooley kid moved from Pontiac in junior high, but his dad took a job in Springfield..

And you're ignoring that one is multiplied and the other is not.
Am I?

Im pretty sure I have been the one saying Phillips in 4A is a problem... But not because of Althoff. This line of thought is straight out of Bizarro World.

Theyre the same. Matter of fact Althoff is sitting in the single most talented area of the state. Not shedding any tears for them. Cru said they have how many D1 guys in a school of how many?

First off, you have no idea is there are kids on the team like that.. Secondly, IF it is happening, they are breaking the rules set by IHSA membership, cant just break them when it benefits your team.. And based on what their website says, as long as living within the city, anyone has the ability to attend there..

Which is the problem.. where exactly are the kids living??? Within their defined boundary??

As we saw with Jackie Robinson West, things do happen in that area...

IHSA has a homeless rule as well which is what a family like the one I describe would be considered. That kid can go anywhere!

This article is from last year.. this kid does not live in the schools defined boundary

Every weekday morning, Skanes rides the Green Line L near his house on the South Side to school five train stops and a short walk away. Every night, he gets a ride home from practice from his dad, Quincy. Beyond that, the football star isn't exactly running to daylight.

"I don't even come outside unless I have to, that's how tough it is where I live,'' Skanes said. "I'm cautious. You've gotta be.''

He used to live in Englewood before moving to Park Manor, two Chicago neighborhoods where residents coexist among gangs and gunfire. Asked Thursday about steering clear of danger, Skanes pointed to the practice field at Mandrake Park on East Pershing Road.

So you are saying go to school and get killed so HHS can win a ball game. They are in the CPS which mean there are in the current District. What school they attend is up to the district. As long as they are living in the CPS and going to a CPS school then there isn't a problem. Now in they lived in HF district and go to Phillips, now you have something to discuss. Or if they live in CPS and goes to a suburban school. Boundaries are clearly defined by the school District. If the CPS was unethical, they could build a super team at each school for each sport!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT