ADVERTISEMENT

West Suburban Conference Best Conference 50 yrs. ago and Still Today

mpercie

Sep 4, 2001
Tonight two West Suburban Conference teams Oak Park-River Forest and Lyons Township will play the the 4A state baseball title. This title match up should prove which confernce is best for baseball. Neither OP-RV or LT won the WSC Silver this year. Elmhurst York won the title and the Dukes took two out of three from both rivals.

Lyons will attempt to become the first school to repeat as state champions in baseball since Park Ridge Maine East (a West Suburban Conference member until 1972) won back-to-back titles in 1958 and 1959. Maine's run ended in 1960 when WSC member York won the state title in 1960.(York finished 5th in conference that year)

I would put the ESCC up against the West Suburban. Marian Catholic finished in 7th place in conference standing and Naz finished 5th. Both teams advanced to the final four in 3A with Marian winning the title. I have to believe that the ESCC may be the deepest conference in the state.

Would u say that is more an indictment on how bad 3A is? Out of the top 20 teams only 4:Marian, Naz, JC, Simeon are in the top 20. 3A is really really soft.
This post was edited on 6/12 11:55 AM by DeanOfSelection

and three of them are from the ESCC...thats why I feel it is a pretty deep conference

In all sports the smaller schools in the ESCC benefit from playing the larger schools in the conference then dropping down in class for the playoffs/state competition.
Typically, JCA has more baseball talent than the larger schools. Since the expansion to the 4 class system, they also have the luxury of feeding into the comparatively weak super sectional which is mostly schools from the CPL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT