ADVERTISEMENT

WSC Wk 1 Playoff Pick'em

RD_Watcher

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2019
The West Suburban conference has 7 teams playing a 10th game this weekend, 4 in the 8A playoffs, and 3 in the 7A playoffs. The WSS representatives in 8A got a tough draw, as LT, York and GBW are all in the same sub-bracket. It guarentees we will not see two semi-finalists again.

I'd love to give a full breakdown of each game, but I honestly don't know enough about all the opponents to them justice. Here is the insight I can give -

1. Addison Trail - I know I tracked their run to 6 wins all season, but I always knew who they were. They qualify for the playoffs with 6 wins, and the lowest number of playoff points of any playoff qualifier in the state. Their 3 losses were to the only team s on their schedule with winning records.

2. Downers Grove South - All their losses are to playoff teams - Wheaton North, DGN, and York - and none of those games were particularly close. Their sole win over another playoff team was against Willowbrook in week 4, winning by 7.

3. Willowbrook - The only playoff teams Willowbrook faced this season were AT and DGS. They clocked AT 42-0 and lost to DGS by 7. They narrowly beat Hinsdale South by 3 in week 5. They also narrowly lost to Niles Notre Dame (2-7) by 3 in week 1.

4. Downers Grove North - DGS went 3-2 against playoff teams in the regular season. We can all admit, even with some teams in down years, the Silver side of the West Suburban Conference is not a cake walk.

5. York - Two of the 4-5 teams to make the playoffs (Glenbrook South and Nazareth) lost to York in weeks 1 and 2. That gives York a 5-1 record against playoff teams in the regular season. The one loss to Glenbard West snapped a streak of WSC wins dating back to the 2021 season.

6. Glenbard West - 2-2 against playoff teams, but one of those losses was to De Smet Jesuit out of Missouri, who finished the season 7-1. The other loss to DGN seemed to be a turning point in their season, as the Hilltoppers are on a 6 game winning streak heading into the playoffs. Included in that streak is the win over York in week 7.

7. Lyons Township - LT faced 5 playoff teams this season, going 2-3 against them. The 2 wins were against Wheaton Warrenville South in week 2, and DGN in week 7. Their losses to Glenbard West by 3 points, and to York by 10 (watching the game, it was closer than the score) indicate LT may not be an easy out.

Here are the games to pick. Good Luck!
Playoff Round 1
7A - Addison Trail (6-3) @ Lincoln Park (8-1) @ Lane Stadium
8A - Downers Grove South (6-3) @ Naperville Central (7-2)
7A - Willowbrook (7-2) vs. Yorkville (6-3)
7A - Downers Grove North (7-2) vs. Kenwood (6-3)
8A - York (8-1) vs. Homewood-Flossmoor (5-4)
8A - Glenbard West (7-2) vs. (Naperville North) (6-3)
8A - Lyons Township (6-3) @ Stevenson (7-2)

The West Suburban conference has 7 teams playing a 10th game this weekend, 4 in the 8A playoffs, and 3 in the 7A playoffs. The WSS representatives in 8A got a tough draw, as LT, York and GBW are all in the same sub-bracket. It guarentees we will not see two semi-finalists again.

I'd love to give a full breakdown of each game, but I honestly don't know enough about all the opponents to them justice. Here is the insight I can give -

1. Addison Trail - I know I tracked their run to 6 wins all season, but I always knew who they were. They qualify for the playoffs with 6 wins, and the lowest number of playoff points of any playoff qualifier in the state. Their 3 losses were to the only team s on their schedule with winning records.

2. Downers Grove South - All their losses are to playoff teams - Wheaton North, DGN, and York - and none of those games were particularly close. Their sole win over another playoff team was against Willowbrook in week 4, winning by 7.

3. Willowbrook - The only playoff teams Willowbrook faced this season were AT and DGS. They clocked AT 42-0 and lost to DGS by 7. They narrowly beat Hinsdale South by 3 in week 5. They also narrowly lost to Niles Notre Dame (2-7) by 3 in week 1.

4. Downers Grove North - DGS went 3-2 against playoff teams in the regular season. We can all admit, even with some teams in down years, the Silver side of the West Suburban Conference is not a cake walk.

5. York - Two of the 4-5 teams to make the playoffs (Glenbrook South and Nazareth) lost to York in weeks 1 and 2. That gives York a 5-1 record against playoff teams in the regular season. The one loss to Glenbard West snapped a streak of WSC wins dating back to the 2021 season.

6. Glenbard West - 2-2 against playoff teams, but one of those losses was to De Smet Jesuit out of Missouri, who finished the season 7-1. The other loss to DGN seemed to be a turning point in their season, as the Hilltoppers are on a 6 game winning streak heading into the playoffs. Included in that streak is the win over York in week 7.

7. Lyons Township - LT faced 5 playoff teams this season, going 2-3 against them. The 2 wins were against Wheaton Warrenville South in week 2, and DGN in week 7. Their losses to Glenbard West by 3 points, and to York by 10 (watching the game, it was closer than the score) indicate LT may not be an easy out.

Playoff Round 1
Ok if I must…….

Stevenson
York
GBW
Nap Ctrl
Downers North
Yorkville
AT

Lincoln Park
Naperville Central
Yorkville
Downers Grove North
York
Glenbard West
Lyons Township

I don’t know if the York game was closer than the score indicated. York’s main running back went out and the backup dominated the game. Now LT probably should have won the Glenbard West game and we very strong against DGN. They lost by 2 touchdowns to Prospect. I think the first round matchup will be tough for the Lions and York is at another level.

Reactions: RD_Watcher
7A - Addison Trail
8A - Naperville Central
7A - Willowbrook
7A - Downers Grove North
8A - York
8A - Glenbard West
8A - Lyons Township

I don’t know if the York game was closer than the score indicated. York’s main running back went out and the backup dominated the game. Now LT probably should have won the Glenbard West game and we very strong against DGN. They lost by 2 touchdowns to Prospect. I think the first round matchup will be tough for the Lions and York is at another level.
I saw a team that cracked under the pressure in the 4th quarter. In my opinion, they had a chance late, but multiple penalties - including one on the HC - sent them into a tailspin. Just my thought on that specific game.

I completely agree with you - York is on a different level.

7A - Addison Trail
8A - Naperville Central
7A - Willowbrook
7A - Downers Grove North
8A - York
8A - Glenbard West
8A - Stevenson

Lincoln Park
Naperville Central
Downers Grove North
York
Glenbard West
Lyons Township

And the hometown Warriors of Willowbrook winning in a tight one 24-21

Playoff Round 1
Addison Trail
Naperville Central
Willowbrook
Downers Grove North
York
Glenbard West
Lyons Township

7A - Addison Trail (6-3
Naperville Central (7-2)
Yorkville (6-3)
7A - Downers Grove North (7-2)
8A - York (8-1)
8A - Glenbard West (7-2)
8A - Lyons Township (6-3)

Good luck to York and GW today! Fairly good showing for the WSC conference last night with AT, DGN, LT and of course the boys from Villa Park getting wins. DGS with the lone loss. I’m thinking the WSC will be 7-1 by the end of day. And a few of these teams could go on a run.

I’m proud of my Warriors! As Hildreth’s teams typically do come playoff time, Willlowbrook came out physical and ready to play. Yorkville scored first with a nice drive, but WB responded with their own score forcing Yorkville to have to defend the whole field. WB never looked back. The second half was littered with penalty flags and clock adjustments and at one point WB went from 2nd and goal on the 2 to 4th and goal on the 27, which they converted into a TD! But it was a rhythm busting display of yellow laundry on the field and it seemed to actually affect Yorkville more than WB even though WB had committed more of the fouls. But the Warriors overcame early weather, late flags and a tough opponent to win and advance! Great job boys!!

As @WBWarriorWatcher notes above - pretty good showing for the WSC in Week 1 of the playoffs. Everyone except DGS came through with a win.

We had 9 pickers this week. Three went 7-0 - @stl705, @Alexander32, @MS4EVER; four went 6-1 - @brucealmighy, @Fishwater41, @Panthers1211, @WBWarriorWatcher; and two went 5-2 - @LakeCtyNewt, @RD_Watcher.

The Board was perfect on Naperville Central, DGN, York, and GBW. We were most divided on Willowbrook, with only 5 correct picks were placed.

Some great games are on tap for Week 2.

Reactions: WBWarriorWatcher
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT