ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on ESL VS CG

Thanks for the history lesson. How come you didn't mention the 5 years prior they were 4a.
It wasn’t an attempt at a history lesson. If you are going to call someone out for not having their facts straight perhaps you should have yours straight. It doesn’t do much for your argument🤷🏻‍♂️

It wasn’t an attempt at a history lesson. If you are going to call someone out for not having their facts straight perhaps you should have yours straight. It doesn’t do much for your argument🤷🏻‍♂️
But he's right. They were a 4A team, who petitioned up to 5, and then even higher. They petitioned up more than one class, which was his point.

Reactions: Alexander32
ESL turned the ball over on the last drive..I’d say we beat ourselves
I'd say, the CG defender was right where he was supposed to be and made the play. Cary-Grove beat East St. Louis on Saturday and they did it on the football field PERIOD. Congratulations Trojan players coaches and fans on your third state championship. You definitely deserve it.

Quick question how good are CG’s juniors and underclassmen? Or should we just expect for Prairie Ridge to be very good again since that’s what’s been happening the last few years CG and Pr tend to switch off.

Reactions: juschill
Quick question how good are CG’s juniors and underclassmen? Or should we just expect for Prairie Ridge to be very good again since that’s what’s been happening the last few years CG and Pr tend to switch off.
CG’s entire offense were seniors and 8 out of 11 on D were seniors.
The junior class won the TCYFL championship as 8th graders, if that means anything.

I’ve often worried about how a team with so many seniors could reload so well. It seems CG does it as well as any team in the state year after year. CG has made the playoffs every year since 2004 and every one of those years they won their 1st playoff game. I believe LWE is right there as the only teams that can say that.

The CG coaching staff has a remarkable ability to get every single ounce of talent and production out of their players. It’s uncanny.

CG’s entire offense were seniors and 8 out of 11 on D were seniors.
The junior class won the TCYFL championship as 8th graders, if that means anything.

I’ve often worried about how a team with so many seniors could reload so well. It seems CG does it as well as any team in the state year after year. CG has made the playoffs every year since 2004 and every one of those years they won their 1st playoff game. I believe LWE is right there as the only teams that can say that.

The CG coaching staff has a remarkable ability to get every single ounce of talent and production out of their players. It’s uncanny.
Watching them run that offense was one of the highlights of my weekend. So simplistic but complicated at the same time. Absolutely beautiful.

It has often been said here that the lack of a kicking game would someday catch up with ESL.
Catch up how? Kicking had nothing to do with it, so quit making this an opportunity to take cheap shots at ESL. In fact, they came out ahead point wise by going for two. If the Flyers had won, you wouldn't be saying anything about their kicking game.

"That dog won't hunt". ~Wade Garrett

This guy lol can’t even give credit to CG. It’s all part of the game. The Trojans corner was right there and made a play. 6a champs baby!
I’ve given nothing but props to CG. They won a deserved the hardware. I personally don’t think we executed our last drive well. We flipped the ball to avoid a sack on 1st or second down with 2 timeouts left. That’s what I saw. You are right though, it’s all apart of the game. I guess I should be more agreeable with you guys. The experts.

Cary turned over the ball on their final drive and gave up a fluke kickoff return.

The score shouldn’t have been as close as it was.
1. CG didn’t give up anything, it was taken by LB3 who has done it all year. Just remember you can’t win them all. Be humbled or you will get humbled at some point.

Catch up how? Kicking had nothing to do with it, so quit making this an opportunity to take cheap shots at ESL. In fact, they came out ahead point wise by going for two. If the Flyers had won, you wouldn't be saying anything about their kicking game.

"That dog won't hunt". ~Wade Garrett
Defensively, I’m certain with time elapsing, and knowing ESL has to swing for the home run on every down- they could simply disregard the threat of ESL obtaining field goal range. Hence, they inserted a player to “follow burden wherever he goes” and, he ultimately sealed the win. Not implying they need a kicker, but having the option doesn’t hurt them either. Why disregard an entire phase of the game because you expect to blow everyone out. I would argue that Brad’s coaching decisions, and his ability to strategically dicatated outcomes on several occasions, would warrant coach of the year status…

Defensively, I’m certain with time elapsing, and knowing ESL has to swing for the home run on every down- they could simply disregard the threat of ESL obtaining field goal range. Hence, they inserted a player to “follow burden wherever he goes” and, he ultimately sealed the win. Not implying they need a kicker, but having the option doesn’t hurt them either. Why disregard an entire phase of the game because you expect to blow everyone out. I would argue that Brad’s coaching decisions, and his ability to strategically dicatated outcomes on several occasions, would warrant coach of the year status…
They never stopped Luther the entire game. Stop it. Lol

Saying that ESL beat themselves in response to a post about CG beating ESL isn’t really giving props to the other team.
Take it how you want old school. I’ve had a ton of previous post about CG high octane offense…This post wasn’t about them.

Reactions: caravan8
We don’t disregard a whole phase of the game, we can’t kick! We have hired plenty of coaches in that area, we normally don’t have the players that are good enough to do it. It’s very obvious as LB3 is our kicker.

Hats off to CG. They had a game plan and stuck to it. I’m not sure if I ever seen a team play with one down lineman. Great coaching scheme. Onside kick, genius. We knew coming In That the option would be a problem just as CG knew LB3 would be a problem. As a whole, no one stopped (if you consider winning a stop then that’s understandable) anyone given the total yards and big plays on both sides. At the end of the day, CG made 1 more play than we did and are the 6A champs. Nothing but respect for the ESL kids. Always, I mean always showing up against the adversity and leaving it all on the field. Congrats to the seniors at all levels. Best of luck at the collegiate level. We will use the off-season to gas up! Business as usual next season. All gas, no brakes “Drops the mic”

Hats off to CG. They had a game plan and stuck to it. I’m not sure if I ever seen a team play with one down lineman. Great coaching scheme. Onside kick, genius. We knew coming In That the option would be a problem just as CG knew LB3 would be a problem. As a whole, no one stopped (if you consider winning a stop then that’s understandable) anyone given the total yards and big plays on both sides. At the end of the day, CG made 1 more play than we did and are the 6A champs. Nothing but respect for the ESL kids. Always, I mean always showing up against the adversity and leaving it all on the field. Congrats to the seniors at all levels. Best of luck at the collegiate level. We will use the off-season to gas up! Business as usual next season. All gas, no brakes “Drops the mic”
Well said. Don’t think anyone lost this game.

Reactions: flyerforlife
well hopefully we can see another CG vs ESL in the future! Idk how good CG will be next year but someone said the Juniors are pretty good.

Triple option/veer teams are a pain in the @$$! No flying to the ball, but instead, you are counting guys coming out of the backfield, based on alignment. Stupid option!
This is what Sunk said after the game: “It’s tough. You play against spread teams all year, You come in and you’ve got three or four days to prepare for something you haven’t seen. You can’t simulate it in practice. You simulate it best you can, but come game day it’s a totally different speed. Like I told our guys, there’s nothing to hang their heads about, They lost to a very quality football team. My hat’s off to those guys. I think they run a great offensive system. I’m just hoping somebody up north knocks these guys off next year so we don’t have to see an option again.

This is what Sunk said after the game: “It’s tough. You play against spread teams all year, You come in and you’ve got three or four days to prepare for something you haven’t seen. You can’t simulate it in practice. You simulate it best you can, but come game day it’s a totally different speed. Like I told our guys, there’s nothing to hang their heads about, They lost to a very quality football team. My hat’s off to those guys. I think they run a great offensive system. I’m just hoping somebody up north knocks these guys off next year so we don’t have to see an option again.
Don’t worry he will see that offense again and again.

They don't rule out kicking because they expect to blow everyone out lol 🤣

They rule out kicking because THEY DON'T HAVE A KICKER.

Reactions: TigerforFlyers
I want to point out one thing for when it comes to size in HS football, especially along the offensive line. Look at CGs pad level coming off the ball, and where they were blocking those big ESL defenders. Everyone talks about size being a difference maker, but size matters when technique is the same. ESL was used to OL pass blocking and not playing as low and fast as CG. To me, that is what won CG the game, the ability of their OL to handle ESL defenders. Hissong rightly fully deserves a lot of credit, but I heard all year, including from some CG supporters about the line being undersized....

I want to point out one thing for when it comes to size in HS football, especially along the offensive line. Look at CGs pad level coming off the ball, and where they were blocking those big ESL defenders. Everyone talks about size being a difference maker, but size matters when technique is the same. ESL was used to OL pass blocking and not playing as low and fast as CG. To me, that is what won CG the game, the ability of their OL to handle ESL defenders. Hissong rightly fully deserves a lot of credit, but I heard all year, including from some CG supporters about the line being undersized....
They were undersized but they did a great job on Saturday. I was particularly impressed by 77.
On top of the line play I was super impressed by the QB’s reads. The hardest hits the FB took were when QB pulled the ball back.

Reactions: RPG24
I totally agree! They kept getting underneath ESL's pads and running their feet. It was textbook blocking and showed why leverage is so important. Kudos to the CG O-line coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT