ADVERTISEMENT

Sterling football

In my classroom I have this posted:

"Your failure to plan is not my emergency"

Same applies to Viator, for a football kid to schedule the ACT during the first round of the playoffs is completely on them.

This makes me laugh. The kids/families from this school plan better than most. This specific date is important, especially for Seniors.

The Viator kids mantra is "Control what you can control."

Additionally, I would prefer to discuss the game, not the game time.

Maybe you’re right...main point is your thread is back to where it should be- talking about football! That was my goal..StV QB had real struggles when he visited LaGrange. Good luck this weekend and hope the convo stays away from the petty put downs of your town!

He struggled because the Naz D-Line completely dominated the Viator O-Line. Plus, the DB's were awesome. While they didn't score (twice) inside the 20 in the second quarter, it was more the Naz D vs Viator O. But that is 5 possessions inside the 20; 2 @ Naz & 3 @ ND with 0 points. Gotta find a way to execute or Sterling puts a hurt on them

My son took the ACT 3 times because he was looking to get his best score.
Exactly.

While I took the ACT once with a raging hangover, my girls took it several times. The October test is critical for a two big reasons. First, this is the last test that can be graded and sent to schools of choice for early decision admissions. Second, kids in Calc II or Multi-Variable Calc have just a bit more learning that can help them move the needle up to the 35-36 range for math. That leads to grant dollars or admission to the school of choice.

This makes me laugh. The kids/families from this school plan better than most. This specific date is important, especially for Seniors.

The Viator kids mantra is "Control what you can control."

Additionally, I would prefer to discuss the game, not the game time.

There are maybe 75 games planned Saturday afternoon? I see one school griping about game time because of the test. Why???

He struggled because the Naz D-Line completely dominated the Viator O-Line. Plus, the DB's were awesome. While they didn't score (twice) inside the 20 in the second quarter, it was more the Naz D vs Viator O.

An interesting side note (to me at least), one of Naz's top players on D (Austin Reifsteck) grew up in Sterling and moved to the suburbs when he was in 6th grade. It goes without saying that he would have fit in nicely on the defensive side of the ball for Sterling the last 2-3 seasons.

kids in Calc II or Multi-Variable Calc have just a bit more learning that can help them move the needle up to the 35-36 range for math. That leads to grant dollars or admission to the school of choice.

The solution is pretty simple then for those less than 1%ers trying to get that 35 or 36 on the math portion - take the test and skip the game.

Reactions: Ogre5530
This thread is approaching dumpster fire status.

Complete douchebaggery abounds.

So would Viator have scored more than 52 points to the half if they were playing Yorkville? Yorkvilke was 2-7 but put them in just about any conference other than the NIB 12 and ESCC and I bet they make the playoffs, I got to see some film of Viator too and I think Dekalb would beat them, We will just have to wait until Saturday to see if your theory holds water.

Yorkville would have been lucky to win 1 game in the DVC.

my peeps tell me that newman does not NECESSARILY play all playoff games at Sterling high...a compromise could have been made.

my peeps tell me that newman does not NECESSARILY play all playoff games at Sterling high...a compromise could have been made.

This is true. Every once in a while, Newman plays a playoff game at Rock Falls High School. Can't remember the last time it happened, though. Certainly not since Sterling HS got field turf 5 years ago. I can tell you that Newman prefers to play their games at Sterling HS. A compromise, as you call it, would inconvenience many more people than the 3 SV football players who have to make a choice between the ACT and a football game.

Reactions: OrsonSHS91
Personally, I just want to see a good game played by two teams who have put in the work and have the privilege of getting to play in week 10. I think it will be a tough game and Sterling will need to bring it's "A" game. If the boys view this as "just" a 5-4 team, then well...I guess I become a Newman fan the rest of the post season =P

Reactions: gw86
Pretty cool that a town the size of Sterling in the middle of nowhere has two teams with a serious chance of winning a state title. Whats in the water there?

This is true. Every once in a while, Newman plays a playoff game at Rock Falls High School. Can't remember the last time it happened, though. Certainly not since Sterling HS got field turf 5 years ago. I can tell you that Newman prefers to play their games at Sterling HS. A compromise, as you call it, would inconvenience many more people than the 3 SV football players who have to make a choice between the ACT and a football game.
i would call it a compromise - what do you call it? from what i'm told sterling is very good. i would think every team would want to play (and beat) their opponents when they are at full strength. stuff happens that prevents that including injury, illness, family issues...and act tests apparently...

The horse is dead. Keep ripping them all you want and saying how there could have been compromises. Bottom line is the date and time are set and there’s not a person on this board that can change it.

I’m looking forward to a good game on the field and the chance for Sterling to raise a lot of money for one of their own off it.

Don’t take this the wrong way but where the hell did all these Sterling guys come from? I seem to remember last year being the same thing. Loud and proud come playoff time, maybe a little homerish but we all are. You guys should stick around all year long on here.

Reactions: mchsalumni
By reading this thread it seems to me that Viator has already lost. They let this game time consume them. Excuses are ready. Which is unfortunate because I think they have a great team.

Reactions: Ogre5530
By reading this thread it seems to me that Viator has already lost. They let this game time consume them. Excuses are ready. Which is unfortunate because I think they have a great team.

I doubt the coaches or players at SV have given the game time "issue" more than a passing thought. It has not cut into their preparation time.

Reactions: ESCC fan
I doubt the coaches or players at SV have given the game time "issue" more than a passing thought. It has not cut into their preparation time.
If you don't think players are worried about taking the test and being able to get there for game time you're crazy.

If you don't think players are worried about taking the test and being able to get there for game time you're crazy.
I think what he was implying is that it's not affecting their preparation at all. The game time issue is resolved and it's not hard to have a sophomore coach or parent stay behind to bring the test takers to the game once they're done. At least that's what we have done in past years.

Registration for this test took place weeks ago. These scheduling conflicts should not come as a surprise to anyone with access to a calendar. Coaches, counselors, and others who advise those students should be aware of the possible conflicts and should advise those student athletes accordingly. Players should not register, and schools should not operate, under the assumption that they will be able to negotiate their way into resolving these scheduling conflicts simply because they think they have the moral and academic high ground.

Football players who register for the test should know full well that blocking out several hours on the Saturday of the first round of the playoffs could result in a conflict. Making an informed choice to put academics over sports is a good choice, but students who make that choice cannot expect everyone else's choices to revolve around theirs.

Registration for this test took place weeks ago. These scheduling conflicts should not come as a surprise to anyone with access to a calendar. Coaches, counselors, and others who advise those students should be aware of the possible conflicts and should advise those student athletes accordingly. Players should not register, and schools should not operate, under the assumption that they will be able to negotiate their way into resolving these scheduling conflicts simply because they think they have the moral and academic high ground.

Football players who register for the test should know full well that blocking out several hours on the Saturday of the first round of the playoffs could result in a conflict. Making an informed choice to put academics over sports is a good choice, but students who make that choice cannot expect everyone else's choices to revolve around theirs.

What he said

Reactions: Coachbell88
Just an FYI to back Sterling a bit. While I know SVHS to be a more than fine academic institution, the ACT is no longer the state mandated test in Illinois. It changed to the SAT last year. That makes taking the ACT an extra event in itself. I see a non-issue here.

Reactions: gw86
Just an FYI to back Sterling a bit. While I know SVHS to be a more than fine academic institution, the ACT is no longer the state mandated test in Illinois. It changed to the SAT last year. That makes taking the ACT an extra event in itself. I see a non-issue here.

State mandated or not has nothing to do with it and everything to do with a multi-million dollar contract awarded to SAT by the Illinois State Board of Education to make the test available at no charge to Illinois high school students.

The ACT is a test that colleges nationwide require and use as input in making admission decisions. The fact that it is voluntary in Illinois does not make it a non-issue in this particular case.

Reactions: Quags57
Here are the facts, some kids will miss cause of the ACT and they need it done before Nov 1st deadline for college applications. Most games during the regular season are 5/730pm start times between lower level game and varsity. This game could be played at 3pm with Newman still playing at 7pm without any issues. Sterling has not been a gracious host. This is about the kids for both schools but they make it about them. They might have a great team this year, but lets play with both teams having all starters out there that are not injuried. Schools are suppose to agree on the day and start time. Sterling gave Viator no consideration on either. Well there is a play on Friday night(so what), park down the street if there is not enough parking. In the end, no class on Sterlings part what so ever. The IHSA didnt step in as well. Typical IHSA BS. On a side note, all classes 1A-8A should be seeded 1-32, then Sterling wouldnt have to worry about playing Viator in the first round.

Here are the facts, some kids will miss cause of the ACT and they need it done before Nov 1st deadline for college applications. Most games during the regular season are 5/730pm start times between lower level game and varsity. This game could be played at 3pm with Newman still playing at 7pm without any issues. Sterling has not been a gracious host. This is about the kids for both schools but they make it about them. They might have a great team this year, but lets play with both teams having all starters out there that are not injuried. Schools are suppose to agree on the day and start time. Sterling gave Viator no consideration on either. Well there is a play on Friday night(so what), park down the street if there is not enough parking. In the end, no class on Sterlings part what so ever. The IHSA didnt step in as well. Typical IHSA BS. On a side note, all classes 1A-8A should be seeded 1-32, then Sterling wouldnt have to worry about playing Viator in the first round.

There are about 60 playoff games this Saturday afternoon, why is Viator the only school I see crying about it?

Reactions: nell95 and gw86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT