ADVERTISEMENT

Sterling football

As this thread spins in a different direction from the original post, I have to ask - are there other schools who are having this issue regarding ACT and football times? There are a lot of 1:00 Saturday afternoon games.

Haven't heard. But the test is completed near 11:30 AM. So if schools have a short travel to their opponent, it is not an issue at all. I believe it is a 2-hour drive from Arlington Heights to Sterling. From what I am told, that is why a later start time was requested by Viator.

Yeah well don't believe everything you hear. SHS has a play at the school Friday night and there isn't enough parking for that and a game. Newman also plays at the stadium and they have the 7:00 Saturday slot. That means they have to play in the afternoon. Maybe the "visitors" should have known not to schedule A.C.T. On a playoff date. Ya think? Or did they just not expect to be in the playoffs?? Try not to insult people when you don't know the facts.

According to the Sterling HS website, looks like the school play is Saturday night as well.

Guess my fact finding is bad too.

Unless I'm misreading some of these posts, some of you seem to be implying that Sterling HS values sports over academics based on the fact that they wouldn't change the time of a football game. Is that where we are here?

Unless I'm misreading some of these posts, some of you seem to be implying that Sterling HS values sports over academics based on the fact that they wouldn't change the time of a football game. Is that where we are here?

I started this part of the thread to say that it appears that Sterling is not very good hosts. In my 40-plus years of high school football coverage, I have seen nearly all host schools accommodate those team traveling long distances for games. That goes from game times, to meals to helping find hotel rooms.

As far as implying that Sterling values sports over academics, I think that everyone can draw their own conclusion here.

Yes, let's not let education get in the way of Football. I guess once you get out west it's just about striving to drive that John Deere!

I guess once you get out East it's just about striving to be the biggest female hygienic product then.

I'm 99% sure the Sterling AD is not diabolically laughing about this situation. Yes we can draw our own conclusions here, kind of why I usually just lurk this board and rarely post due to my own conclusions I've drawn about much of the posting population here.

Alright let’s state some facts here.
1. ACT was offered September 9th. St. Viator played on the 8th. It is also offered December 9th. Sterling has many kids taking it on this date (also as a side note have a state championship caliber cross country runner take it on Sept 9th as he looked ahead and knew sectionals were in October).

2. Not only do administrators not want two Sterling events going on at the same time, Sterling football does have kids involved with the play. That eliminates Friday and Saturday night. Not to mention Sterling students do a great job supporting each other. Why should they be made to choose one or the other event to participate in/attend?

3. Sterling at one point offered 2 pm. That was declined. At this point IHSA stepped in. If you don’t like the way IHSA rules are when it comes to these situations, I suggest taking it up with them for next year. (Already was attempted this year)

4. As a team that does not have their own field for home games, I’m sure you appreciate coming into a clean stadium. Newman also appreciates this. The SHS is not staffed like the IHSA in the ability to magically get the stadium ready in an hour for the Newman game. Let’s also not forget the weather for Saturday originally did not look great. If there’s any delays or anything, you’re then impacting two additional schools.

Feel free to rip into this post. Not expecting to change anyone’s opinion of Sterling being a hillbilly farm town that don’t have no time fer no edumacation.

Last edited:
Viator has made mistakes all year. Along with play calling/lack of execution has put them in the position they are in. Last week vs Niles Notre Dame, they had the ball 3 times inside the 20, twice inside the 10 and came away with zero points. You cannot beat good teams like Sterling doing this.

On a side note, their RB (#8) left the game early and D-Line #44 didn't play. Not sure what their situation is this week but they need both of these kids to compete

SVHS, I watched the NND vs. Viator film and I'm curious as to the "play calling" mistakes you saw? The scheming was very sound in my opinion. What'd you see?

I also forgot to mention, once Sterling knew they were going to have a home game, they organized a fundraising tailgate for one of the assistant coaches. Knowing what was going on that weekend, they planned the tailgate around the game being at 1. This was talked about on the Friday pregame show even, well before Sterling knew who they would be playing. It’s not like this was something where Sterling was out to screw St. Viator. Again, planned on 1 so this would fit everything else going on that weekend.

Be mad at the AD or the coaches but I guarantee if you get there early you’ll be treated with some hospitality. While I won’t be there, I could recommend some places to eat as well.

Newman, being a 2A school, does not draw the same size crowds as Sterling does. Therefore, while parking will be an issue, it will not be as bad as if Sterling played on Saturday night.
Newman draws and travels better that most HS teams, no matter the class.

I also forgot to mention, once Sterling knew they were going to have a home game, they organized a fundraising tailgate for one of the assistant coaches. Knowing what was going on that weekend, they planned the tailgate around the game being at 1. This was talked about on the Friday pregame show even, well before Sterling knew who they would be playing. It’s not like this was something where Sterling was out to screw St. Viator. Again, planned on 1 so this would fit everything else going on that weekend.

Be mad at the AD or the coaches but I guarantee if you get there early you’ll be treated with some hospitality. While I won’t be there, I could recommend some places to eat as well.

Oh man, I didn't realize that you have a TAILGATE planned??? Now I completely understand.

Reactions: mchsalumni
1. ACT was offered September 9th. St. Viator played on the 8th. It is also offered December 9th. Sterling has many kids taking it on this date (also as a side note have a state championship caliber cross country runner take it on the 9th as he looked ahead and knew sectionals were in October).

2. Not only do administrators not want two Sterling events going on at the same time, Sterling does have kids involved with the play. That eliminates Friday and Saturday night. Not to mention Sterling students do a great job supporting each other. Why should they be made to choose on or the other event to participate in/attend.

3. Sterling at one point offered 2 pm. That was declined. At this point IHSA stepped in. If you don’t like the way IHSA rules are when it comes to these situations, I suggest taking it up with them for next year. (Already was attempted this year)

4. As a team that does not have their own field for home games, I’m sure you appreciate coming into a clean stadium. Newman also appreciates this. The SHS is not staffed like the IHSA in the ability to magically get the stadium ready in an hour for the Newman game. Let’s also not forget the weather for Saturday originally did not look great. If there’s any delays or anything, you’re then impacting two additional schools.

Feel free to rip into this post. Not expecting to change anyone’s opinion of Sterling being a hillbilly farm town that don’t have no time fer no edumacation.

Well said. I like #3 the best.

the tailgate FUNDRAISER was a planned joint effort between Sterling and Newman HS to assist the parents of an unborn child with serious medical issues. one of the parents teaches at Sterling HS and the other at Newman HS.

but continue to mock the whole situation if it makes you feel superior to us hicks out here in the sticks.

The purpose of the tailgates is to get everyone excited about our teams while helping to offset medical costs, travel expenses and time off work due to heart complications and surgery for Michelle & Dave’s unborn daughter. The Campbell Family will be spending a minimum of 4 weeks in downtown Chicago after the baby is born as there will be several surgeries and recovery for the baby. They also will have 3 daughters at home who will be cared for by grandparents during this time.

How you can help:

Friday, 10/27 Newman Students will have a Spirit Dress Down day.

Saturday, 10/28 Sterling Tailgate is from 10:30am – 12:30pm or until the food runs out. Food will consist of hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, dessert and pop or water. They will be collecting a free will donation at the tailgate and would love to see as many people there as possible including the Newman Faithful. They will also have bags set up and a sound system to get everyone excited for the playoffs while helping a family we all care for.
During the Newman game we will also have a free will donation jar at the entrance of the stadium and at our tailgate spots before our game. NHS will also donate all 50/50 proceeds to the Campbell family. Come one, come all help support our NHS FAMILY!

Instead of getting into an argument I invite you to the tailgate to see why it’s so important. My sister is in charge of it so if you’d like I’ll make a donation for you. All you have to do is show up and see what our community is about. There are some things we do value more than academics in Sterling. Sorry if that inconveniences your school in any way.

the tailgate FUNDRAISER was a planned joint effort between Sterling and Newman HS to assist the parents of an unborn child with serious medical issues. one of the parents teaches at Sterling HS and the other at Newman HS.

The purpose of the tailgates is to get everyone excited about our teams while helping to offset medical costs, travel expenses and time off work due to heart complications and surgery for Michelle & Dave’s unborn daughter. The Campbell Family will be spending a minimum of 4 weeks in downtown Chicago after the baby is born as there will be several surgeries and recovery for the baby. They also will have 3 daughters at home who will be cared for by grandparents during this time.

How you can help:

Friday, 10/27 Newman Students will have a Spirit Dress Down day.

Saturday, 10/28 Sterling Tailgate is from 10:30am – 12:30pm or until the food runs out. Food will consist of hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, dessert and pop or water. They will be collecting a free will donation at the tailgate and would love to see as many people there as possible including the Newman Faithful. They will also have bags set up and a sound sysytem to get everyone excitied for the playoffs while helping a family we all care for.
During the Newman game we will also have a free will donation jar at the entrance of the stadium and at our tailgate spots before our game. NHS will also donate all 50/50 proceeds to the Campbell family. Come one, come all help support our NHS FAMILY!

I'll be sure to make a donation. Prayers to your coach and his family.

Reactions: 14decoys
1. ACT was offered September 9th. St. Viator played on the 8th. It is also offered December 9th. Sterling has many kids taking it on this date (also as a side note have a state championship caliber cross country runner take it on the 9th as he looked ahead and knew sectionals were in October).

2. Not only do administrators not want two Sterling events going on at the same time, Sterling does have kids involved with the play. That eliminates Friday and Saturday night. Not to mention Sterling students do a great job supporting each other. Why should they be made to choose on or the other event to participate in/attend.

Not going to rip.

Just coming up with the fact that my sources say that the 2 PM offer never happened. It was 1 PM. Period.

Also, how messy can the place be? Few popcorn boxes? They turn a movie theater in 10 minutes.

Not going to rip.

Just coming up with the fact that my sources say that the 2 PM offer never happened. It was 1 PM. Period.

This is not meant to be a smart comment. Your source may not want to admit they turned down 2 since IHSA came in and said 1 but 2 was offered.

Reactions: OrsonSHS91
SVHS, I watched the NND vs. Viator film and I'm curious as to the "play calling" mistakes you saw? The scheming was very sound in my opinion. What'd you see?

Well, a couple of things. On the 1st possession, you have to kick the field goal. It's free points coming off of the turnover. On the 4th and 1, if you are going to run a QB sneak, then get him under the center or give the ball to #8 or run the option or wildcat. Something other than what they did. NND D line is good, very good. Lastly, and this goes for the entire season; run some play action pass! I can recall a handful of times that they've done it this season! In the first two games of the year, they ran it once; for a 30+ yard gain. It's an effective way to open up the passing game. They've been strong with the run. Use it to your advantage

Not going to rip.

Also, how messy can the place be? Few popcorn boxes? They turn a movie theater in 10 minutes.

They have movie theaters that seat 2,500 people in the burbs? I noticed you didn't touch the first point of other athletes planning ahead. Even us small town folk can figure that out.

Well, a couple of things. On the 1st possession, you have to kick the field goal. It's free points coming off of the turnover. On the 4th and 1, if you are going to run a QB sneak, then get him under the center or give the ball to #8 or run the option or wildcat. Something other than what they did. NND D line is good, very good. Lastly, and this goes for the entire season; run some play action pass! I can recall a handful of times that they've done it this season! In the first two games of the year, they ran it once; for a 30+ yard gain. It's an effective way to open up the passing game. They've been strong with the run. Use it to your advantage

Haven't seen them play beyond the ND game, so can't/won't comment beyond saying that what I witnessed on film, their scheming strategy was sound. Very sound. Your players did not execute. Period. How many balls hit your receivers hands and were not caught? One was for a TD for sure. Can't put that on the coaches, can you?!

Who calls your plays? I can tell you that the NND staff was very complimentary of the offensive game planning they scouted and was even more impressed with the in game adjustments that were made based on what the defense was showing. Coming away from the game-these opinions were further corroborated. For what it's worth.

Downers Grove North @Normal 1pm

Libertyville @ East St Louis 3pm

any issues with those 2 schools?

This is not meant to be a smart comment. Your source may not want to admit they turned down 2 since IHSA came in and said 1 but 2 was offered.

2 PM was never offered. Plus I heard the IHSA email to Viator said to take the test another day. Looks like they value education.

o_O This thread???

Can Sterling win? The game time is no longer an argument ...it sucks for SV kids but stop complaining and get ready for the game!

SV 22 Sterling 16 in OT

They have movie theaters that seat 2,500 people in the burbs? I noticed you didn't touch the first point of other athletes planning ahead. Even us small town folk can figure that out.

They are plenty of large theaters in the area here. 2,500...not sure.

As far as planning, how do you plan? My son took the ACT 3 times because he was looking to get his best score.

I married a small town farm girl...I know how smart you guys can be.

Haven't seen them play beyond the ND game, so can't/won't comment beyond saying that what I witnessed on film, their scheming strategy was sound. Very sound. Your players did not execute. Period. How many balls hit your receivers hands and were not caught? One was for a TD for sure. Can't put that on the coaches, can you?!

Who calls your plays? I can tell you that the NND staff was very complimentary of the offensive game planning they scouted and was even more impressed with the in game adjustments that were made based on what the defense was showing. Coming away from the game-these opinions were further corroborated. For what it's worth.

Agree on the receivers. I actually mentioned that after the game. You are correct, the players didn't execute. The receivers had been decent throughout the season. #6, who eventually caught a TD, probably played his worst game of the season. I'm not sure if it was lack of execution or a tough ND defense. Either way, you have to execute in the red zone or you won't win.

All scheduling hostility aside (I’m assuming no one on this board even had a say on it anyways), hoping for an exciting game. Safe travels to those that make the trek. Won’t be a scenic trip on 88 for you. As mentioned earlier, if you’re there early enjoy the tailgate and what should be a great playoff football atmosphere at Roscoe Eades Field.

Agree on the receivers. I actually mentioned that after the game. You are correct, the players didn't execute. The receivers had been decent throughout the season. #6, who eventually caught a TD, probably played his worst game of the season. I'm not sure if it was lack of execution or a tough ND defense. Either way, you have to execute in the red zone or you won't win.
ND DB’s did a great job of knocking balls out of the hands of SV’s receivers . Big 4th and goal ND doubled 6 and Gavin and Cullen did a nice job of knocking the ball loose with over under cover. SV QB is a nice player and 2 big athletic receivers.

o_O This thread???

Can Sterling win? The game time is no longer an argument ...it sucks for SV kids but stop complaining and get ready for the game!

SV 22 Sterling 16 in OT

This game will not go into over time, I see Viators QB getting too much pressure, lots of sacs and interceptions, and Sterling won't be stopped on offense, slowed down a little but not stopped, final being something like the Dekalb final 33-3 maybe 42-7 Sterling

This game will not go into over time, I see Viators QB getting too much pressure, lots of sacs and interceptions, and Sterling won't be stopped on offense, slowed down a little but not stopped, final being something like the Dekalb final 33-3 maybe 42-7 Sterling
Maybe you’re right...main point is your thread is back to where it should be- talking about football! That was my goal..StV QB had real struggles when he visited LaGrange. Good luck this weekend and hope the convo stays away from the petty put downs of your town!

I see this game being the closest Sterling has had since week 1 at Sycamore. St Viator is better than every team Sterling has played except MAYBE DeKalb. This is not your typical Round 1 match-up vs some CPL patsy.

If you're giving 30 points, I'll take Viator.

In my classroom I have this posted:

"Your failure to plan is not my emergency"

Same applies to Viator, for a football kid to schedule the ACT during the first round of the playoffs is completely on them.

Can't SV get permission to have the kids take the ACT at Sterling. They are a testing site.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT