ADVERTISEMENT

Public 106 Private 62

MS4EVER

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2004
Since the IHSA went to 8 classes there have been 168 title games. The public schools have won 106 to 62 for the private schools. For all you math fans that’s 63% to 37%. So I’m confused as to the beef and why people want a split. Maybe I don’t understand because I have a soft spot for the privates. I went to Lutheran schools from kindergarten through high school. It could be that I don’t understand because I work and cheer for a very successful public school for the last 25 years. Maybe I’m the only one who is happy with how things are. I love 8 classes. The more football players that get to experience State the better in my book. IT IS AMAZING!! Carry on gents and have a great offseason!

Since the IHSA went to 8 classes there have been 168 title games. The public schools have won 106 to 62 for the private schools. For all you math fans that’s 63% to 37%. So I’m confused as to the beef and why people want a split. Maybe I don’t understand because I have a soft spot for the privates. I went to Lutheran schools from kindergarten through high school. It could be that I don’t understand because I work and cheer for a very successful public school for the last 25 years. Maybe I’m the only one who is happy with how things are. I love 8 classes. The more football players that get to experience State the better in my book. IT IS AMAZING!! Carry on gents and have a great offseason.
How many private schools are there? I wholeheartedly agree with you, but maybe, the angry mob is upset because of the ratio?

Last edited:
Reactions: cigaros and MS4EVER
Since the IHSA went to 8 classes there have been 168 title games. The public schools have won 106 to 62 for the private schools. For all you math fans that’s 63% to 37%. So I’m confused as to the beef and why people want a split. Maybe I don’t understand because I have a soft spot for the privates. I went to Lutheran schools from kindergarten through high school. It could be that I don’t understand because I work and cheer for a very successful public school for the last 25 years. Maybe I’m the only one who is happy with how things are. I love 8 classes. The more football players that get to experience State the better in my book. IT IS AMAZING!! Carry on gents and have a great offseason!
MS
I hear you but you math doesn’t tell the whole story. Based on the number of schools privates are winning at a lot higher clip because the amount of schools. Publics have 1018 schools in Illinois and privates have 274 schools. I didn’t look up how many play football but you get the point.
Just for the record I am not for a split. I gave my thoughts to make it more fair for both. Use rankings for the top 30 and keep everything else the same. 😊

As adults, we should be doing everything in our power to ensure that as many kids have an opportunity to play this wonderful sport. The anti football adults will jump on this debate next and use it to cancel football programs.

Common sense post, therefore no one will post much in this thread. The debate is moot since proposal did not make it out of the Illinois High School Association’s Legislative Commission. Let's see how long they can keep the other threads on the subject going. It's probably about 10 months till next year's proposals get published.

Reactions: MS4EVER
Thanks for compiling those stats. Here's the problem with them and with you:

The problem with you is that you make too much sense in an environment where people aren't interested in making sense. Another problem with you is one you alluded to in your post. You are connected to a very successful school. Your school loses some and wins most. It has tasted recent extraordinary success. Your school has proven IT CAN BE DONE. You and most of your school's fans have properly acquired a sense of magnanimity due to that success. You are fortunate in that regard. Most public schools and their fans cannot aspire to being magnanimous because they aren't like your school. For whatever reason, they haven't experienced your school's level of success.

The problem with the data is that public school fans from those unsuccessful schools don't give a damn about data. They know what they know, and that is that THEIR schools often have their seasons end at the hands of private schools. To some degree, they have convinced themselves that it CAN'T be done as long as private schools are allowed to compete with them. Rather than put in the effort and resources to improve themselves, as your school has done and as a number of other public schools have done, they prefer to take the easier way out and simply legislate their way to regularizing their mediocrity.

I think the hardest thing to grapple with is that there's not a large amount of parody in high school football. There's a lot of have and have nots. Even though we have 8 classes, there were no first time champions this year, and those 8 account for 50 total championships in their history. Even the second place teams, I think all but one have at least one title. People generally associate that with privates, but it's public programs, too.

I think the hardest thing to grapple with is that there's not a large amount of parody in high school football. There's a lot of have and have nots. Even though we have 8 classes, there were no first time champions this year, and those 8 account for 50 total championships in their history. Even the second place teams, I think all but one have at least one title. People generally associate that with privates, but it's public programs, too.
Totally agree. Like I said we all know the top programs/teams year in and year out. It is no secret. Let’s quit acting like we don’t know and start playing the best all in 8A. Use the rankings to determine what class these teams fall in. Very similar to the college rankings only we allow the 30 teams to be ranked to find out where they belong. Someone said Illinois is to big? That’s a joke. College does the entire country and they seem to figure it out. I can’t wait until college opens it up for more teams. More games more fun.
How fun would it be to see ESL play Rita or LWE or GBW or MS? What about SHG playing one of them? What about Bolingbrook playing MC or what ever. Let’s face it these are the real games that would gather the most interest. I myself like to see schools that have never played each other get a chance. It’s time to shake things up in Illinois. Let’s have some fun even if it’s only a dream. Lol 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: ramblinman

The problem with you is that you make too much sense in an environment where people aren't interested in making sense. Another problem with you is one you alluded to in your post. You are connected to a very successful school. Your school loses some and wins most. It has tasted recent extraordinary success. Your school has proven IT CAN BE DONE. You and most of your school's fans have properly acquired a sense of magnanimity due to that success. You are fortunate in that regard. Most public schools and their fans cannot aspire to being magnanimous because they aren't like your school. For whatever reason, they haven't experienced your school's level of success.

The problem with the data is that public school fans from those unsuccessful schools don't give a damn about data. They know what they know, and that is that THEIR schools often have their seasons end at the hands of private schools. To some degree, they have convinced themselves that it CAN'T be done as long as private schools are allowed to compete with them. Rather than put in the effort and resources to improve themselves, as your school has done and as a number of other public schools have done, they prefer to take the easier way out and simply legislate their way to regularizing their mediocrity.
Nice stuff, Ramblinman.

Reactions: Teetime and Quags57
Nice stuff, Ramblinman.
By just a quick look at it 45 of those 62 private titles were by 9 schools so it's not all of the private schools,but also you will notice how many of the public winners were by many of the same schools.

Year after year you will notice the same schools make the playoffs and go pretty deep into them...The Loyola's,Lincolnway East's,JCA,Rochester,Mt Carmel,ESL,Naz,Batavia,IC,LeWin....and so on.Not knowing first hand of all those schools programs,I'd be willing to bet that all have great traditions,great coaches and in most cases strong feeder programs.

No doubt that next year and the years after that we will continue to see the same programs on pairings nights and making strong runs into future playoff seasons.

Common sense post, therefore no one will post much in this thread. The debate is moot since proposal did not make it out of the Illinois High School Association’s Legislative Commission. Let's see how long they can keep the other threads on the subject going. It's probably about 10 months till next year's proposals get published.
This year’s board debate didn’t begin in earnest until Lyons Township - one of the largest public schools in the state - lost in the quarter finals to Loyola. Immediately after the game, an emotion filled rant by an LT fan started it all.

So I give it until the first public school makes a small run, then gets handled by a big bad private school.

Reactions: Gene K.
Totally agree. Like I said we all know the top programs/teams year in and year out. It is no secret. Let’s quit acting like we don’t know and start playing the best all in 8A. Use the rankings to determine what class these teams fall in. Very similar to the college rankings only we allow the 30 teams to be ranked to find out where they belong. Someone said Illinois is to big? That’s a joke. College does the entire country and they seem to figure it out. I can’t wait until college opens it up for more teams. More games more fun.
How fun would it be to see ESL play Rita or LWE or GBW or MS? What about SHG playing one of them? What about Bolingbrook playing MC or what ever. Let’s face it these are the real games that would gather the most interest. I myself like to see schools that have never played each other get a chance. It’s time to shake things up in Illinois. Let’s have some fun even if it’s only a dream. Lol 😂

All.... It's possible to do something like this but the issue would be how does one power rate. Take next year for instance. Using SHG as an example. The new two year cycle enrollment will be out. The school had a enrollment of I believe 505 this year and bit more the year before that 550. Multiplied next season they could still be 4A depending how the 256 qualifiers break down among the eight classes should SHG make postseason play. (if that happens the SF goes into effect) Anyway a small 5A school regardless in 2023.

They lose 19 of 22 starters. A program I purchased at one of the Cyclones home games this year had a picture of the sophomore team all 16 of them. What I'm getting at is a power rating and a future schedule would HAVE to include what a team has coming back. How would one go about doing that in an objective way? (LFF23) Ratsy

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
All.... It's possible to do something like this but the issue would be how does one power rate. Take next year for instance. Using SHG as an example. The new two year cycle enrollment will be out. The school had a enrollment of I believe 505 this year and bit more the year before that 550. Multiplied next season they could still be 4A depending how the 256 qualifiers break down among the eight classes should SHG make postseason play. (if that happens the SF goes into effect) Anyway a small 5A school regardless in 2023.

They lose 19 of 22 starters. A program I purchased at one of the Cyclones home games this year had a picture of the sophomore team all 16 of them. What I'm getting at is a power rating and a future schedule would HAVE to include what a team has coming back. How would one go about doing that in an objective way? Ratsy (LFF2023)
I believe the people/computerized rankings take all this in to account. Each year is different and if your not ranked in the top 30 you play based on the IHSA enrollment rules. So if SHG losing a ton then the rankings take that into account. SHG might not make it in the top 30 they would play in the class based on the enrollment. Same as before.

I believe privates make up far less than 37% of the population.

Since privates are way over represented in terms of championships, I’d also be interested to see the semi and quarters. Maybe the ratio is closer to the representation in the state as a whole.

Reactions: jesuit.trained

1. A lot of schools, especially the small schools (which nobody here thinks matter) don't have the ability to get the resources needed to improve. And this includes the smaller rural private schools.

2. If you are telling these unsuccessful programs to just get better, then why do privates who aren't very good get to waive the multiplier and drop down 1 or even 2 classes? Maybe they should use their resources and just get better.

Reactions: Nit92 and juschill
1. A lot of schools, especially the small schools (which nobody here thinks matter) don't have the ability to get the resources needed to improve. And this includes the smaller rural private schools.

2. If you are telling these unsuccessful programs to just get better, then why do privates who aren't very good get to waive the multiplier and drop down 1 or even 2 classes? Maybe they should use their resources and just get better.
1. Does that include smaller rural schools like Lena-Winslow, Camp Point Central, Forreston, Arcola, Carthage, Wilmington, Nashville, GCMS, etc...? Yes, I know. You qualified your statement by saying "a lot of schools, especially the small schools". You didn't say all schools. But the point is that SOME schools do find a way. Some schools, despite limited resources, do find a way. If you ask me, we shouldn't be trying to make rules because of schools that choose not to do what it takes to achieve sustained excellence. Just. Get. Better. It CAN be done.

2. Really? Remember, private schools get multiplied UP when they prove that they are extraordinarily successful in the playoffs. The multiplier does not take effect if that doesn't happen. The multiplier EXPIRES when extraordinary playoff success in the multiplied class does not happen. When a private school drops DOWN because it hasn't succeeded, it drops down to their actual enrollment class. How is that a problem for you?

1. Does that include smaller rural schools like Lena-Winslow, Camp Point Central, Forreston, Arcola, Carthage, Wilmington, Nashville, GCMS, etc...? Yes, I know. You qualified your statement by saying "a lot of schools, especially the small schools". You didn't say all schools. But the point is that SOME schools do find a way. Some schools, despite limited resources, do find a way. If you ask me, we shouldn't be trying to make rules because of schools that choose not to do what it takes to achieve sustained excellence. Just. Get. Better. It CAN be done.

2. Really? Remember, private schools get multiplied UP when they prove that they are extraordinarily successful in the playoffs. The multiplier does not take effect if that doesn't happen. The multiplier EXPIRES when extraordinary playoff success in the multiplied class does not happen. When a private school drops DOWN because it hasn't succeeded, it drops down to their actual enrollment class. How is that a problem for you?
Of course I know schools are multiplied, that is the rule in place and it exists for a reason. But you are saying the rules shouldn't change that those schools who aren't good should just get better. If you are multiplied, you are multiplied for a reason, that multiplier should still be applied. Don't like it, just get better. It CAN be done. Loyola, IC, MC, Naz etc. seem to find a way and we shouldn't be changing the rules because some privates (Newman, QND) choose not to do what it takes to achieve sustained excellence.

Of course I know schools are multiplied, that is the rule in place and it exists for a reason. But you are saying the rules shouldn't change that those schools who aren't good should just get better. If you are multiplied, you are multiplied for a reason, that multiplier should still be applied. Don't like it, just get better. It CAN be done. Loyola, IC, MC, Naz etc. seem to find a way and we shouldn't be changing the rules because some privates (Newman, QND) choose not to do what it takes to achieve sustained excellence.
Yes, private schools are multiplied for a reason and that reason is playoff success. What happens when that reason no longer exists? Should the multiplied private schools remain multiplied indefinitely?

Who, other than you, is talking about "changing the rules?" The rules are the rules. You can't blame private schools for following them.

So even in the private world not everything is created equal. Loyola, MC, IC, Naz all have a larger body of kids to recruit than Newman or QND. I wonder how many kids live in the 30 mile radius for comparison. Population per square per mile so to speak. I am sure it’s a staggering difference. Easy to say achieve sustainable excellence when your school is in a metro populated area Vs countryside.

So even in the private world not everything is created equal. Loyola, MC, IC, Naz all have a larger body of kids to recruit than Newman or QND. I wonder how many kids live in the 30 mile radius for comparison. Population per square per mile so to speak. I am sure it’s a staggering difference. Easy to say achieve sustainable excellence when your school is in a metro populated area Vs countryside.
And within the public world not everything is created equal. Some schools are funded way better than others.

Within the private world, QND and Newman, etc are the only private option within how many miles? How many private and public schools exist within IC's radius? DOZENS. How many exist in QND's radius? Do you need more than one hand to count them?

If Loyola can recruit from within a metro area of millions, why do they have just one all-stater on Edgy's team? God, LA must really SUCK at recruiting if they only have one three star recruit.

Do you think that the PND coach would have LOVED to have Malachi Washington attend his school instead of PHS? Did attending a private school even enter into Washington's head in 8th grade? Or was the ability to attend PHS for free something that rendered moot that possibility?

Reactions: kwamizee
And within the public world not everything is created equal. Some schools are funded way better than others.

Within the private world, QND and Newman, etc are the only private option within how many miles? How many private and public schools exist within IC's radius? DOZENS. How many exist in QND's radius? Do you need more than one hand to count them?

If Loyola can recruit from within a metro area of millions, why do they have just one all-stater on Edgy's team? God, LA must really SUCK at recruiting if they only have one three star recruit.

Do you think that the PND coach would have LOVED to have Malachi Washington attend his school instead of PHS? Did attending a private school even enter into Washington's head in 8th grade? Or was the ability to attend PHS for free something that rendered moot that possibility?
What? You went way off sideways. Ramblinman I love you man but not all publics are terrible. 😊

Do not use Loyola only having one all stater as an argument, it’s ridiculous. How many Loyola seniors are going to play college football? I don’t mean just Brooks Bahr at Michigan. I mean those that are going to play FCS football at schools like Colgate or others in the Patriot league or Pioneer league. Every year Loyola has numerous kids going on to play at schools at that level. How many other schools can say they have that many kids going to play at the next level? Public or Private included. Not many.

Do not use Loyola only having one all stater as an argument, it’s ridiculous. How many Loyola seniors are going to play college football? I don’t mean just Brooks Bahr at Michigan. I mean those that are going to play FCS football at schools like Colgate or others in the Patriot league or Pioneer league. Every year Loyola has numerous kids going on to play at schools at that level. How many other schools can say they have that many kids going to play at the next level? Public or Private included. Not many.
You don't want me to use LA having only one all stater as an argument? I thought the position of you and your fellow public school apologists was that private schools can "get" anyone they wanted within a 30 mile radius. No? Now you are saying that we get a lot of kids who will play in college and at such football powerhouses as Colgate and such competitive leagues as the Patriot and Pioneer? Whatever. I can't keep up with you guys and how you always find something new to focus on.

How many other schools can say that they send similar numbers of kids as LA on to play at the next level each year? You tell me.

I'll throw a few out there and you tell me if I'm wrong. LWE, MS, Warren, and GBW for starters. Can you think of any others? I doubt that Loyola consistently sends on more than any other school year in and year out. Feel free to believe that Loyola is a football factory if you want, but it seems to me the onus of proof is on you since you are the one doing the accusing.

Do you really think that Loyola is out there looking high and low in their recruiting radius for 8th graders to develop and send on to the likes of Valpo, Butler, and Drake?

Reactions: gobears25
You don't want me to use LA having only one all stater as an argument? I thought the position of you and your fellow public school apologists was that private schools can "get" anyone they wanted within a 30 mile radius. No? Now you are saying that we get a lot of kids who will play in college and at such football powerhouses as Colgate and such competitive leagues as the Patriot and Pioneer? Whatever. I can't keep up with you guys and how you always find something new to focus on.

How many other schools can say that they send similar numbers of kids as LA on to play at the next level each year? You tell me.

I'll throw a few out there and you tell me if I'm wrong. LWE, MS, Warren, and GBW for starters. Can you think of any others? I doubt that Loyola consistently sends on more than any other school year in and year out. Feel free to believe that Loyola is a football factory if you want, but it seems to me the onus of proof is on you since you are the one doing the accusing.

Do you really think that Loyola is out there looking high and low in their recruiting radius for 8th graders to develop and send on to the likes of Valpo, Butler, and Drake?
It took me under two minutes to search FBS programs in the aforementioned conferences to find 5 Loyola grads playing at a pretty high level fbs program. Name me any other school (other than ESL) that could say the same. I’ll wait.

Reactions: juschill
It took me under two minutes to search FBS programs in the aforementioned conferences to find 5 Loyola grads playing at a pretty high level fbs program. Name me any other school (other than ESL) that could say the same. I’ll wait.
No, YOU name me those other schools. You want to do the accusing? Do your own searching if it's so damn easy.

No, YOU name me those other schools. You want to do the accusing? Do your own searching if it's so damn easy.
Sorry man but your arguments have no merit. You can’t argue your point when someone brings a rational argument. I gave you another example in another thread and you didn’t respond. That tells me enough.

Multiplier/waiver system works pretty well - when applied. Obviously the Covid year shouldn’t have counted. I happen to think they should also scrap the two year cycle and go to a rolling two year…
The 8A publics should have zero gripe. They already have 2000+ kids and you can’t multiply privates up to 9a. When you get to the 3A-5A range, there are still a few possible annual outliers that just seem to have MUCH higher ceilings than their public counterparts, but overall the current system seems to be about as good as possible.

Reactions: Alexander32
Sorry man but your arguments have no merit. You can’t argue your point when someone brings a rational argument. I gave you another example in another thread and you didn’t respond. That tells me enough.
Your arguments have no merit if you can't back them up. All you want to do is accuse without providing evidence. If you do decide to do the legwork to back up your accusations with respect to Loyola players at the next level, make sure you aren't including the other three football playing high schools with Loyola in their first name. There's only one Loyola Academy in the U.S.

Reactions: HRCJR
Your arguments have no merit if you can't back them up. All you want to do is accuse without providing evidence. If you do decide to do the legwork to back up your accusations with respect to Loyola players at the next level, make sure you aren't including the other three football playing high schools with Loyola in their first name. There's only one Loyola Academy in the U.S.
My private school education taught me to read Loyola academy of IL is not that difficult. You haven’t presented one argument that validates your point of view. I’m not trying to cast stones man, but you can’t convince me that the current system isn’t advantageous for the private schools. I want all the schools to play each other but I think the advantage that is granted by the recruitment by private schools needs to be separated during the state series.

My private school education taught me to read Loyola academy of IL is not that difficult. You haven’t presented one argument that validates your point of view. I’m not trying to cast stones man, but you can’t convince me that the current system isn’t advantageous for the private schools. I want all the schools to play each other but I think the advantage that is granted by the recruitment by private schools needs to be separated during the state series.
Separation isn't the answer. There just needs to be more equity. The multiplier and success factor has created some equity but more could be done. Some suggestions I have seen on other boards

1. Usepopulation density as a metric for that multiplier. IC pulling from 500,000 people is not the same as St. Teresa pulling from 100,000. The multiplier has a larger negative impact on small privates than the larger ones. Also, a rural public school from a town of 8,000 going against some of the suburban or larger city pulling from 100,000s of people outs the public at a huge disadvantage. The disparity is much wider at the mid to lower level classes and much wider than football in many other sports.

2. This one is interesting, only multiply the students who were not enrolled in the elementary or junior high schools that are affiliated with the private high school. If you truly want your son/daughter to get a Catholic education, it should have started before freshman year. If a kid transfers from one school (public or private) tona private that student is multiplied by 2.

These are both better options than separation.

I think his point is you cannot find another program with 5-6 players at a high collegiate level, aside from ESL.

If he can’t find one then his point is made.

Logic.

Reactions: Alexander32
I searched three rosters: Colgate, Holy Cross, Fordham, all solid FCS schools. Strictly going from one schedule to the next. All of them have Loyola Academy OF WILMETTE players on their roster. I’m sure if I spent another hour I could find 50 Loyola players playing at a high level.

I think his point is you cannot find another program with 5-6 players at a high collegiate level, aside from ESL.

If he can’t find one then his point is made.

Logic.
He hasn't tried. It's up to him to prove his point and not up to me to disprove it.

I searched three rosters: Colgate, Holy Cross, Fordham, all solid FCS schools. Strictly going from one schedule to the next. All of them have Loyola Academy OF WILMETTE players on their roster. I’m sure if I spent another hour I could find 50 Loyola players playing at a high level.
Knock yourself out.

Interesting participants here in this back and forth. Used to be, you’d almost never see two private school supporters arguing this subject on opposite ends.

Last edited:
While having been pretty absent, I do have to mention….
In order to be the best, you gotta beat the best.
When the kickoff goes, the team is the team.
I have ZERO problems playing whomever we have to play. To strut in the gym you gotta be the man. Period!

That being said… when someone brings up a 30 mile radius…. We all know it’s BS.
Yes they recruit
Yes they talk to 8th graders
Yes there are “scholarships “ no matter how you try and get around it
And finally, YES, there are kids beyond 30 miles.

Again, regardless of how the team became the team. It is what it is. GET BETTER.

Please don’t argue any of, it only makes it worse.

We field our TEAM. BEAT US.

• Angry
Reactions: Teetime and Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT