ADVERTISEMENT

Public 106 Private 62

It's not a recruiting advantage. Recruitment does not directly result in enrollment. LA can recruit all the kids they want within their 30 mile radius, but every single one of those kids can choose to go elsewhere, and over 9 out of ten times, they choose a public school. In some cases, they choose a different private school like NDCP, CCHS, St. Pat's, St. Viator, St. Ignatius, DePaul Prep, etc. If you want to call it an enrollment advantage, have at it.
Sure
I will call it an enrollment advantage for all non athletes. Hahaha

Tell that to Coach Z at LWE who was quoted about how close his school (which is 42% larger than LA) came despite the zip code disparity after his school's 8A title game loss to LA.
So are you implying that a coach shouldn’t mention it at all? It was a competitive game which was acknowledged right?

Typical public school mentality. You think that private schools "get to pick and choose the athletes they want to attend" and, prest-o change-o, those kids just magically enroll. You take into account NO competition. It's quite understandable why you don't take competition into account, since public schools have the monopoly on free education in their districts. I understand you are who you are, but I have always found that it helps to put myself in others' shoes when I argue with them.

The examples I used are actually the perfect examples. It's folks like you who argue about the so called private school advantage. It's folks like you who want to separate private schools from public schools (I do too, but for different reasons than you) because of that so called advantage. Schools like the ones I mentioned would also be separated regardless of their lack of athletic success.

Your final shot about how just some of the kids who choose to attend private schools pay tuition is quintessential public school claptrap. You are hopeless and helpless.
1. Obviously privates compete with public and other private schools for students and marketing/recruiting play a role. Public schools also compete against each other and there are some pretty stark discrepancies between the haves and have nots at the public schools just like with the privates. Tax base, per Capita income, and even nuclear power plants make the quality of education and sports offered by some much better than others and families do use those metrics when deciding where to live.

2. No privates do not get to pick and choose students and athletes but they can deny them which helps them sell their education program to parents and be among the highest performing schools in the state/country.

3. The advantage that privates have is not really seen at that higher enrollment classes. Yes, the competitive advantage between Loyola and LWE isn't that far apart. But IC has a huge competitive advantage of IC over pretty much everyone in 3A. Just like SHG, Provi, and JCA in 4A. But after 4A, the advantage gets smaller. Competitive advantage does not always equate to a championship but there is definitely an advantage there for privates 1A - 4A. But "why don't privates win all the time in 1A?" Because there aren't that many 1A privates and look at their location, small rural towns with the exception of Hope. Sterling Newman will likely be 1A the next 2 seasons and I would expect them to compete very well in 1A. St. Teresa in 2A is has only lost 1 game since COVID and have 40+ pointed almost every game in that time period. Go ahead and tell the publics with 4,000 people and little money for facilities that compare to St. T who draws from 150,000 to "just get better." Note, they don't play Williamsville, Maroa, Tolono, and other small schools with lots of extra money.

Last edited:
No boys swim team at Marist. No swimming pool there either.
Thanks for the info. New kids on the block might have their priorities mixed up. Lot of money spent on their observatory. I didn't think their was that big of a shortage of astronomers in the Chicago area. A swimming pool would have been a better use of their money in my mind.

It's not a recruiting advantage. Recruitment does not directly result in enrollment. LA can recruit all the kids they want within their 30 mile radius, but every single one of those kids can choose to go elsewhere, and over 9 out of ten times, they choose a public school. In some cases, they choose a different private school like NDCP, CCHS, St. Pat's, St. Viator, St. Ignatius, DePaul Prep, etc. If you want to call it an enrollment advantage, have at it.
The recruitment advantage is simply being able to find what you need as a team within 30 miles. If you need a 6’4 lineman, you have 30 miles to try and convince him. If you are public boundary school, you have to hope one move into your district. Number of players is irrelevant. Type of players are the advantage. All in all, it’s not the sole reason why a team is successful any given year.

So are you implying that a coach shouldn’t mention it at all? It was a competitive game which was acknowledged right?
LWE and MS are both VERY good schools with very good tax payer support, great youth feeder systems, and tremendous facilities. Have you seen LWE's field house?

Does LWE or MS acknowledge their completive advantage when they play poor public schools out side of their demographics?

I like most there probably watched the 8A game. The game was there for LWE too win. There is no reason LWE and MS are not in the state finals every year. What competitive average do they have that other 8A schools don't have? I have several friends from the LWE area. they all say LWE did not play well in the final. We all think LA defense has a lot to do with that, but acknowledge LWE played better games all season long.

Is it OK for a LWE MS final every year if the private play separately?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
LWE and MS are both VERY good schools with very good tax payer support, great youth feeder systems, and tremendous facilities. Have you seen LWE's field house?

Does LWE or MS acknowledge their completive advantage when they play poor public schools out side of their demographics?

I like most there probably watched the 8A game. The game was there for LWE too win. There is no reason LWE and MS are not in the state finals every year. What competitive average do they have that other 8A schools don't have? I have several friends from the LWE area. they all say LWE did not play well in the final. We all think LA defense has a lot to do with that, but acknowledge LWE played better games all season long.

I am sorry but didn’t Lockport win 8A last year?

Reactions: juschill
My nieces live in Lincoln Park. Went to a Catholic Grade School. Both very smart - significantly smarter than their uncle. Could have gotten into CPS magnet HS schools. Uncles went to LA. Cousins went to LA and SICP. Mother went to Regina. Aunts went to Regina (one is on the board at Regina). They shadowed at SICP, DePaul, and LA.

They chose LA. Not for sports. But the best fit for them.

• Love
Your convoluted logic.

I much prefer the time honored judicial convention in this country of the burden of proof falling on the accuser and not the accused. If I am accused, then the presumption is that I am innocent of the accusation until the accuser can provide irrefutable evidence to the contrary. It should not be up to me to prove my innocence.

It’s not convoluted logic. Read a book. You must have gone to logic class the first two weeks then bailed.

What is he accusing? He said something didn’t exist. If you counter that something does exist then it’s on you to prove it.

How many examples would satisfy proving something didn’t exist? If he went through 200 programs would that suffice? What about 500?

Done with this thread. Welcome to my blocked list.

It took me under two minutes to search FBS programs in the aforementioned conferences to find 5 Loyola grads playing at a pretty high level fbs program. Name me any other school (other than ESL) that could say the same. I’ll wait.
Hinsdale Central. Every year. In fact, the starting QB, WR 1 and Strong Safety at Colgate are all from HC. Yale starting LT - HC. Brown DE - HC. Miami of Ohio Grad transfer from Indiana - HC. Valpo WR 1 - HC.

Those are just the starters I can think of right now.

Reactions: ramblinman

No but the poor public school will. The losing coach is usually the person that may mention a potential advantage. There is nothing wrong with that.

I don’t think privates should be seperate as I love completion period. I do on the other hand think non boundaried schools should play 5-8A. I don’t have any issues with LA!

1. Obviously privates compete with public and other private schools for students and marketing/recruiting play a role. Public schools also compete against each other and there are some pretty stark discrepancies between the haves and have nots at the public schools just like with the privates. Tax base, per Capita income, and even nuclear power plants make the quality of education and sports offered by some much better than others and families do use those metrics when deciding where to live.

2. No privates do not get to pick and choose students and athletes but they can deny them which helps them sell their education program to parents and be among the highest performing schools in the state/country.

3. The advantage that privates have is not really seen at that higher enrollment classes. Yes, the competitive advantage between Loyola and LWE isn't that far apart. But IC has a huge competitive advantage of IC over pretty much everyone in 3A. Just like SHG, Provi, and JCA in 4A. But after 4A, the advantage gets smaller. Competitive advantage does not always equate to a championship but there is definitely an advantage there for privates 1A - 4A. But "why don't privates win all the time in 1A?" Because there aren't that many 1A privates and look at their location, small rural towns with the exception of Hope. Sterling Newman will likely be 1A the next 2 seasons and I would expect them to compete very well in 1A. St. Teresa in 2A is has only lost 1 game since COVID and have 40+ pointed almost every game in that time period. Go ahead and tell the publics with 4,000 people and little money for facilities that compare to St. T who draws from 150,000 to "just get better." Note, they don't play Williamsville, Maroa, Tolono, and other small schools with lots of extra money.
1. Ok, so now we are getting somewhere. You acknowledge competition exists.

2. "privates do not get to pick and choose students" That directly contradicts what you said in a previous post when you said that they did get to pick and choose the athletes they want to attend. Glad to see you coming around on this. As for the denying of students, it only happens in any sort of large scale way at a handful of private schools where the demand outstrips the supply. DePaul Prep is a good example of that right now. Ignatius is a long standing example of that. But, denying students entry because there is no room or because the private school has no program to serve their specific needs doesn't impact athletic success other than negatively. Not sure where you are going with this as I believe the entire post is about addressing the so called private school advantage with respect to athletics.

3. The so called advantage isn't seen at the higher enrollment classes in part because there aren't all that many private schools with actual enrollments that would classify them into those classes. Loyola is the largest private school in Illinois. The only reason they were in 8A this year is because they asked to play up. Otherwise, Loyola's actual enrollment places them solidly in 7A. Some of that will change a bit next year when the multiplier will come back into play. As for IC, how did that "huge competitive advantage" in 3A work for them in 2021 when they lost to Byron in the semis? How did it work for them in 2014 when they failed to qualify for the playoffs or in 2011 and 2013 when they were first round knockouts in 3A? JCA, PC and SHG have huge competitive advantages in 4A as well? Some of that recent success is due to the multiplier decision to include a non-playoff year in the formula. Let's see how SHG does in 5A next year. In the five years immediately prior to covid, SHG was defeated in the playoffs by four public schools and a private school. As for JCA and PC, again, next year they will both be multiplied up a class. Let's see how they do then. Last time JCA was in 5A, they lost to Mascoutah in the quarters. Heck, in 2016 and 2017, JCA failed to qualify for the playoffs. PC failed to qualify in 2015, 2016, and 2021. How did their "huge competitive advantage" serve both schools then? As for St. T, prior to this year and their one score win in the 2A title game over Tri Valley, they were defeated in their previous 12 straight playoff appearances by public schools. Seems to me that those public schools did just "get better."

Why can't you allow a single private school to have their day in the sun just like some public schools experience? It's a serious question to which I would like an answer. Why is it ok for public schools like Lena-WInslow or Rochester to experience sustained athletic success but not a school like St. T (whose success in the past decade PALES in comparison to Le-Win and Rochester)?

Last edited:
Re-read my post. I clearly stated that "Competitive advantage does not always equate to championships." Sometimes good teams lose for a variety of reasons.

I have no problem with Privates winning championships but when there is a clear mismatch that leads to a lopsided score, that shows that something isn't right. Loyola did the right thing by petitioning up and playing in 8A because they wanted to beat the best to prove to the state and even the nation, they are the best. IC petitioned up to 3A because them in 2A would have been a joke, even against St. T but IC could have probably competed in 4A. SHG is a 5A school fits in perfect in 5A. Provi's lack of success is a terrible example because they usually play a majority of private school so they just can't compete with their fellow privates but look what happened when they did make the playoffs. Montini also falls in this group with Provi. Put those schools in the area 4A public conference, they probably finish 9-0.

St. T's last decade pales in comparison to Rochester and LW? Really? Since 2016

Rochester is 78-8 with three 1st place finishes with losses to Bishop Mac, St. Rita, and SHG.

Le-Win is also 78-8 with 4 championships in that span.

St. T. is 76-8 since their current coach took over in 2016-17, the school was really struggling in the years prior to Coach Ramsey. They have never lost in the 1st round, have one 1st, 1-second place finish, and lost to a loaded Nashville squad at Nashville (which is a very tough environment) and lost in the closing seconds both years and Nashville took 2nd each year. I wouldn't say their success "pales in comparison" because they have been pretty damn successful. Maybe they should do better at preparing for the playoffs and play tougher competition. Feel free to look at their scores with the teams in their conference, I guess they go by the "It's not worth winning if you can't win big." Because of their success, they are playing a very tough schedule next year, composed mostly of privates.

I am okay with all schools having sustained success and the reasons for success go beyond being public or private. I am all for privates being placed in classes where it is more competitive for them and we don't see multiple 40+ blowouts.

Re-read my post. I clearly stated that "Competitive advantage does not always equate to championships." Sometimes good teams lose for a variety of reasons.

I have no problem with Privates winning championships but when there is a clear mismatch that leads to a lopsided score, that shows that something isn't right. Loyola did the right thing by petitioning up and playing in 8A because they wanted to beat the best to prove to the state and even the nation, they are the best. IC petitioned up to 3A because them in 2A would have been a joke, even against St. T but IC could have probably competed in 4A. SHG is a 5A school fits in perfect in 5A. Provi's lack of success is a terrible example because they usually play a majority of private school so they just can't compete with their fellow privates but look what happened when they did make the playoffs. Montini also falls in this group with Provi. Put those schools in the area 4A public conference, they probably finish 9-0.

St. T's last decade pales in comparison to Rochester and LW? Really? Since 2016

Rochester is 78-8 with three 1st place finishes with losses to Bishop Mac, St. Rita, and SHG.

Le-Win is also 78-8 with 4 championships in that span.

St. T. is 76-8 since their current coach took over in 2016-17, the school was really struggling in the years prior to Coach Ramsey. They have never lost in the 1st round, have one 1st, 1-second place finish, and lost to a loaded Nashville squad at Nashville (which is a very tough environment) and lost in the closing seconds both years and Nashville took 2nd each year. I wouldn't say their success "pales in comparison" because they have been pretty damn successful. Maybe they should do better at preparing for the playoffs and play tougher competition. Feel free to look at their scores with the teams in their conference, I guess they go by the "It's not worth winning if you can't win big." Because of their success, they are playing a very tough schedule next year, composed mostly of privates.

I am okay with all schools having sustained success and the reasons for success go beyond being public or private. I am all for privates being placed in classes where it is more competitive for them and we don't see multiple 40+ blowouts.
So, when ESL beats Prairie Ridge by 50 pts in the title game, is something not right? Or is it ok in your book because ESL is a public school? When R-B beats Murphysboro 50-14 in the title game, is something not right? Or is that ok in your book because R-B is a public school. When Forreston beats Camp Point Central by 38 pts in the final game, is something not right? Or is it ok in your book because Forreston is s public school? When Wheaton North beats St. Rita by 29 pts in the title game is something not right? Or is it doubly ok in your book because WN is public and St. Rita is private? When Phillips beats Althoff by 44 pts in the title game, is something not right? Or is it doubly ok in your book because Phillips is public and Althoff is private?

As for St. T, nice try, but your spin falls way short.

First of all, I said last decade, and you want to compare since 2016. Pretty sure last time I checked, a decade was 10 years, not 7.

But, okay, you want to measure since the current coach got there. Fine, let's have at it.

Since Coach Ramsey arrived, I agree that the school has gone 76-8. Do I really need to point out to you that 5 of those 8 losses came against public schools in the playoffs? What kind of competitive advantage did St. T have against those public schools in those losses? How can you argue that St. T is not properly classified when they just won their first state title since 1979, and they did so in a title game that was decided by a 7 point margin?

Does St. T blow out opponents in the playoffs? Sure, but plenty of public schools are blowing out opponents in the early playoff rounds as well. The brackets are the brackets.

So, when ESL beats Prairie Ridge by 50 pts in the title game, is something not right? Or is it ok in your book because ESL is a public school? When R-B beats Murphysboro 50-14 in the title game, is something not right? Or is that ok in your book because R-B is a public school. When Forreston beats Camp Point Central by 38 pts in the final game, is something not right? Or is it ok in your book because Forreston is s public school? When Wheaton North beats St. Rita by 29 pts in the title game is something not right? Or is it doubly ok in your book because WN is public and St. Rita is private? When Phillips beats Althoff by 44 pts in the title game, is something not right? Or is it doubly ok in your book because Phillips is public and Althoff is private?

As for St. T, nice try, but your spin falls way short.

First of all, I said last decade, and you want to compare since 2016. Pretty sure last time I checked, a decade was 10 years, not 7.

But, okay, you want to measure since the current coach got there. Fine, let's have at it.

Since Coach Ramsey arrived, I agree that the school has gone 76-8. Do I really need to point out to you that 5 of those 8 losses came against public schools in the playoffs? What kind of competitive advantage did St. T have against those public schools in those losses? How can you argue that St. T is not properly classified when they just won their first state title since 1979, and they did so in a title game that was decided by a 7 point margin?

Does St. T blow out opponents in the playoffs? Sure, but plenty of public schools are blowing out opponents in the early playoff rounds as well. The brackets are the brackets.
Your assumption is St. T should win a title. There are several public schools that will never sniff a title however, if you put them down to 2A, they will be champs.

Since the IHSA moved to eight brackets in 2001, four schools have won a state football championship with four losses. They are IC Catholic, Montini, Joliet Catholic and Nazareth. That says something about the high level of competition that exists amongst Catholic high schools.

Reactions: kwamizee
Since the IHSA moved to eight brackets in 2001, four schools have won a state football championship with four losses. They are IC Catholic, Montini, Joliet Catholic and Nazareth. That says something about the high level of competition that exists amongst Catholic high schools.
Where any of those 4 losses to teams that were in the class the title was won in?

Your assumption is St. T should win a title. There are several public schools that will never sniff a title however, if you put them down to 2A, they will be champs.
My assumption is most definitely not that.

In the Ramsey era, they played in 1A his first year and got trounced in the title game by a public school. They then played in 3A and got bounced in round two, again by a public school. Since then it has been four straight playoffs in 2A, and they just won their first title since 1979. Why would anyone assume that they should win a title that, up until this year, has proved very elusive to them?

"Down to 2A?" 2A has been where they have been since 2018! They lost in the semis in 2018, 19, and 21 -- all at the hands of public schools. They won it all this year in a very close title game. I guess the fourth time is the charm.

Public or private, winning begets winning. For the privates, it makes recruiting easier, bringing in top talent year after year, not to mention alumni donations. For the publics, a few successful seasons builds confidence, enhances morale, and increases turnout. Confidence is critical for football teams. They expect to win, and they do. Schools that never or rarely experience success become indifferent or apathetic, stuck in a never-ending cycle.

Last edited:
Public or private, winning begets winning. For the privates, it makes recruiting easier, bringing in top talent year after year, not to mention alumni donations. For the publics, a few successful seasons builds confidence, enhances morale, and increases turnout. Confidence is critical for football teams. They expect to win, and they do. Schools that never or rarely experience success become indifferent or apathetic, stuck in a never-ending cycle.
For publics, it also encourages some families to move or find a way for their kid to go to the good program instead of the bad one.

For publics, it also encourages some families to move or find a way for their kid to go to the good program instead of the bad one.
Both for strong public and strong privates, they are going to be magnets for families regardless of athletic success. These are almost always top academic schools with well rounded educational offerings that attract families.

I just love listening to Ramblin trying to act like he understands small town football so he can justify that the private schools don't have a big edge.. its funny as hell

I just love listening to Ramblin trying to act like he understands small town football so he can justify that the private schools don't have a big edge.. its funny as hell
I don't know why some struggle with admitting the obvious.

Both for strong public and strong privates, they are going to be magnets for families regardless of athletic success. These are almost always top academic schools with well rounded educational offerings that attract families.
With the obvious difference that if a family chooses to send their kid to a private school they do not have to sell their house and move. But sure, it is similar if you disregard that...

Everything you said for public schools applies to private schools. When they win, they build confidence, enhance morale, increase turnout as well. Pretty much nothing you said for privates applies to publics. It can't bring in top talent (unless a family choses to move), there are not more alumni donations, and there is no one to recruit because publics only coach who live in their community. So it is very simplistic to say "winning begets winning" and make it sound like it the same for all programs

With the obvious difference that if a family chooses to send their kid to a private school they do not have to sell their house and move. But sure, it is similar if you disregard that...
Ah cuz no one in these threads ever disregarded the cost of tuition either :eyeroll:

I mean many families specifically plan their home purchase decisions around the public high schools, including the timing of those decisions at times. To pretend otherwise is kind of ignorant.

Is a public school with a high rate of transfer students who came into the feeder middle schools within a year or two of high school at a distinct advantage verse public schools with lesser rate of middle school retention? Yep. But not sure I see proposals to punish those schools. They attract top students (academically or Athletically) by creating strong academic culture, community, and opportunity.

Someone stated earlier that if a private school has a need for a specific type of player, they can attempt (it's no guarantee) to get that player whether they are an incoming freshman or senior. The publics can't do that. Now lets be honest, some do and some have got caught and others have got away with it. But that is beside the point, the rules allow the privates to recruit and the public schools can't.

Ramblin has a very simplistic view of how football programs work in the smaller, rural districts. It is not about championships and he thinks schools that are "just not good enough" use the private schools as an excuse as to why they can't win and only complain when they lose to a private. That is simply not the truth. It isn't about championships or even beating the private schools, it is about teams competing under the same rules. The multiplier has proven to be an equalizer and the IHSA screwed up by counting the COVID season as a season which has resulted in the success of the Privates this season and last season. Ramblin will say look at the publics winning 6 of 8 in 2021 as proof the public can win, and public fans will say look at 2022 when 6 or 8 privates won and declare the system unfair, and both sides aren't wrong.

Football is all about matchups and from time to time a good public school will match up very well against a private/non-boundaried school and pull off a win. See Byron vs. IC, Wilmington vs. Mac, Lockport vs. Loyola, Wheaton North vs. Rita and Brother Rice and various others in 2021 and even 2022 and private supporters will say "look see, the publics can compete and win" and lump all publics together into those programs and say just get better.

But like public, not all privates are the same. For example, St. Teresa has had a great run the past 5 or so years, it has not equated into championships but that does not negate the fact that they have hammered most of their opponents by very wide margins and draw from 150,000 people. Now they do provide an alternative for kids who don't want to attend DPS schools which is just fine, but they play schools that draw from a few thousand people or have to coop just to field a team. They were something like 3-6 then went to 1A state championship the next year because they dropped down to 1A along with some questionable transfers and have 8 losses since.

IC is also the same, they may not always win the championship but they play a 4A/5A/6A schedule then play in 3A where yeah they have played close games and even been upset a few times but they still have a very high winning percentage, and winning margin.

Private supporters will bring up Le Win, they shouldn't even be in the discussion as they are 1A and there are not many privates in 1A and they should not be punished by a success factor for being good. In fact, no school should be success factored. But what about Rochester? Well, almost every loss in they have had in the playoffs in from Privates, same with Richmond Burton. But very, few publics are at the level of these schools and you can't just flip a switch and get better overnight. It's tough to change the culture and develop athletes from elementary through high school, get them to buy in to the program, and hope the elite ones don't go to the area private school. But some privates are able to go from 3-6 to a state title appearance with a completely different team of athletes who were not in the school 1 year earlier.

Someone stated earlier that if a private school has a need for a specific type of player, they can attempt (it's no guarantee) to get that player whether they are an incoming freshman or senior. The publics can't do that. Now lets be honest, some do and some have got caught and others have got away with it. But that is beside the point, the rules allow the privates to recruit and the public schools can't.

Ramblin has a very simplistic view of how football programs work in the smaller, rural districts. It is not about championships and he thinks schools that are "just not good enough" use the private schools as an excuse as to why they can't win and only complain when they lose to a private. That is simply not the truth. It isn't about championships or even beating the private schools, it is about teams competing under the same rules. The multiplier has proven to be an equalizer and the IHSA screwed up by counting the COVID season as a season which has resulted in the success of the Privates this season and last season. Ramblin will say look at the publics winning 6 of 8 in 2021 as proof the public can win, and public fans will say look at 2022 when 6 or 8 privates won and declare the system unfair, and both sides aren't wrong.

Football is all about matchups and from time to time a good public school will match up very well against a private/non-boundaried school and pull off a win. See Byron vs. IC, Wilmington vs. Mac, Lockport vs. Loyola, Wheaton North vs. Rita and Brother Rice and various others in 2021 and even 2022 and private supporters will say "look see, the publics can compete and win" and lump all publics together into those programs and say just get better.

But like public, not all privates are the same. For example, St. Teresa has had a great run the past 5 or so years, it has not equated into championships but that does not negate the fact that they have hammered most of their opponents by very wide margins and draw from 150,000 people. Now they do provide an alternative for kids who don't want to attend DPS schools which is just fine, but they play schools that draw from a few thousand people or have to coop just to field a team. They were something like 3-6 then went to 1A state championship the next year because they dropped down to 1A along with some questionable transfers and have 8 losses since.

IC is also the same, they may not always win the championship but they play a 4A/5A/6A schedule then play in 3A where yeah they have played close games and even been upset a few times but they still have a very high winning percentage, and winning margin.

Private supporters will bring up Le Win, they shouldn't even be in the discussion as they are 1A and there are not many privates in 1A and they should not be punished by a success factor for being good. In fact, no school should be success factored. But what about Rochester? Well, almost every loss in they have had in the playoffs in from Privates, same with Richmond Burton. But very, few publics are at the level of these schools and you can't just flip a switch and get better overnight. It's tough to change the culture and develop athletes from elementary through high school, get them to buy in to the program, and hope the elite ones don't go to the area private school. But some privates are able to go from 3-6 to a state title appearance with a completely different team of athletes who were not in the school 1 year earlier.
And it's an overnight switch for private schools?

Wins (elim rd) by year, Nazareth Rackie era:
8 (quarters)
8 (R2)
10 (quarters)
5 (dnq)
8 (R2)
14 (6A #1)
12 (5A #1)
6 (R2)
12 (6A #2)
13 (7A #1)
13 (7A #2)
Covid year
7 (quarters)
10 (5A #1)

8 years with 5 playoff wins, with a coach who already had 7 years experience and 4 state Champs from his prior shop. Why did no one think to tell him to just flip the switch and get some recruits in year 2?!?! Only won 5 regular season games in each of the last two years. Are there many publics willing to play a schedule that challenges them to even qualify?

But it's not that simple and the continued sustained success, you can probably trace investments in the athletic program (Championship HC, field turf, lights, gymnasium expansion, etc), where success followed behind those investments. Often slowly though. This is just to get facilities that still pale in comparison to any reasonably large/well funded public school.

Sorry to say, but it's not easy to build and change culture at private institutions either. Biggest difference is private institutions with poor wholistic culture die and go away forever. Pretty rare for a public to go away forever.

Last edited:

———————-

But some privates are able to go from 3-6 to a state title appearance with a completely different team of athletes who were not in the school 1 year earlier.

I couldn’t let the errors about St Teresa in this post slide by.

Starting off with the 30 mile population density around St Teresa is around 106k or so…… not 150k.

St Teresa did NOT go from 3-6 in one season to the 1A state championship the next. (They were 2-7 in 2012…….. 1A runner up was in 2016)

Here are the St Teresa season records for the last decade.

2013: 6-4 (lost 1st round of 3A playoffs)
2014: 7-3 (lost 1st round of 3A playoffs)
2015: 6-4 (lost 1st round of 1A playoffs)

End of 2015 season, St T football head coach Tim Brilley “resigns”.

December 2015: St Teresa hires hall of fame football coach Mark Ramsey as their new head coach

2016: 12-2 (2nd place in 1A - with all the same players as the previous year)
2017: 9-2 (lost 2nd round of 3A playoffs)
2018: 12-1 (lost in 2A semifinals)
2019: 11-2 (lost in 2A semifinals)
2020: 6-0
2021: 12-1 (lost in 2A semifinals)
2022: 14-0 (2A state champions)

St Teresa has had several 1st/2nd round blowouts in the playoffs the last few years, but most #1 seeds do.

They’ve actually had some VERY close playoff games in both 1A (2016) and 2A.

I’m also not sure of what “questionable transfers” you think St Teresa has had during the last decade.

I only know of one player that transferred INTO St Teresa during his high school years over that stretch of 10 seasons.

That transfer was a sophomore that transferred in before the 2020-2021 COVID school year from Eisenhower (who wasn’t doing in person learning and also didn’t field a football team that year).

AFAIK, every other single St Teresa football player started out as a freshman at St Teresa.

It’s sad when an anonymous poster on a high school football forum has to stoop to fabricating outright lies to “support” their position.

Last edited:
Ah cuz no one in these threads ever disregarded the cost of tuition either :eyeroll:

I mean many families specifically plan their home purchase decisions around the public high schools, including the timing of those decisions at times. To pretend otherwise is kind of ignorant.

Is a public school with a high rate of transfer students who came into the feeder middle schools within a year or two of high school at a distinct advantage verse public schools with lesser rate of middle school retention? Yep. But not sure I see proposals to punish those schools. They attract top students (academically or Athletically) by creating strong academic culture, community, and opportunity.
We sold our house a few years back to the first serious buyer in great part because we were located in the Libertyville HS district. LHS, by some accounts, was considered the finest public high school in the greater area. The buyers were from Pennsylvania and they thoroughly searched mid-Lake county for excellent schools. (We had a great grammar school, as well).

"Someone stated earlier that if a private school has a need for a specific type of player, they can attempt (it's no guarantee) to get that player whether they are an incoming freshman or senior. The publics can't do that. Now lets be honest, some do and some have got caught and others have got away with it. But that is beside the point, the rules allow the privates to recruit and the public schools can't."

I'll trade you the ability to recruit for your free education. How is free education not an advantage for public schools relative to privates?

And, how often do you think that ability to recruit to fill a specific position actually happens? Seriously, how often?

"Ramblin has a very simplistic view of how football programs work in the smaller, rural districts. It is not about championships and he thinks schools that are "just not good enough" use the private schools as an excuse as to why they can't win and only complain when they lose to a private. That is simply not the truth. It isn't about championships or even beating the private schools, it is about teams competing under the same rules. "

What a crock of crap. If public schools were winning ALL of their games against private schools do you think that public school apologists would still be whining because privates and publics aren't "competing under the same rules?" Hell, if public schools beat private schools 95% of the time, public school apologists would whine about the 5% they weren't winning. 'Tis the nature of the public school beast.

"The multiplier has proven to be an equalizer and the IHSA screwed up by counting the COVID season as a season which has resulted in the success of the Privates this season and last season."

What success did private schools have last season? Pretty sure that public schools won 75% of the titles last season.

"Ramblin will say look at the publics winning 6 of 8 in 2021 as proof the public can win, and public fans will say look at 2022 when 6 or 8 privates won and declare the system unfair, and both sides aren't wrong."

Here's what Ramblin really says: Don't just look at 2022 and 2021. Look back further than that. You acknowledge that the IHSA screwed up, so why focus on a year that you KNOW is an outlier to a large degree because the IHSA screwed up? Try looking at what happened over the past several years before they screwed up.

2021: 6 out of 8 classes won by publics.
2020: No playoffs due to covid
2019: 6 out of 8 classes won by publics.
2018: privates and publics win 4 classes each
2017: 7 of 8 classes won by publics.
2016: 7 of 8 classes won by publics
2015: privates and publics win 4 classes each.

How about if you and your whining ilk try putting things in perspective rather than turning into Chicken Littles when privates win the majority of a season's state titles for the first time since 2004 and knowing full well that the IHSA screwed up in a TEMPORARY way? These things have a way of ebbing and flowing and evening out. Back in 1980 and 81, private schools won four of 6 titles. In 1992, PRE-MULTIPLIER, public schools won ALL the titles. In 2016 and 17, publics won 14 of 16 titles. From 2016 to 21, they won 30 out of 40. It HAS been done! Stop foaming at the mouth about this. Take a chill pill. Take the long view.

"See Byron vs. IC, Wilmington vs. Mac, Lockport vs. Loyola, Wheaton North vs. Rita and Brother Rice and various others in 2021 and even 2022 and private supporters will say 'look see, the publics can compete and win' and lump all publics together into those programs and say just get better."

Exactly right. Just. Get. Better. We also say things like it CAN be done and it HAS been done. Deal with it.

"St. Teresa has had a great run the past 5 or so years, it has not equated into championships but that does not negate the fact that they have hammered most of their opponents by very wide margins and draw from 150,000 people."

Are you one who hates it when private schools win by large margins, but public schools get a hall pass from you in that regard? Now your knickers are in a bunch because St T wins by large margins? Do they get that way for you when PUBLIC schools win by large margins too? Mine do...for both private and public.

For YEARS, I have bemoaned the huge playoff mismatches that take place because the classes have too wide of a discrepancy of competitiveness from top to bottom, regardless of school types. For YEARS, I have suggested here that a system should be put in place to make the classes more competitive. And you know what? Some of the exact same people who want to separate privates and publics because SOME of the privates hammer their opponents are among those who DON'T want to even out the classes competitively. Go figure. Would you be one of those? You know you are. You don't even want the success factor as a means of evening out the competitive imbalance. You're fine with blowouts as long as it's not private schools doling them out.

"IC is also the same, they may not always win the championship but they play a 4A/5A/6A schedule then play in 3A where yeah they have played close games and even been upset a few times but they still have a very high winning percentage, and winning margin."

So what? So do other public schools. ESL is the smallest school in their conference and they play a conference schedule of mostly 7A and 8A schools...when they aren't playing national powerhouses in non-con games. Rochester plays mostly 5A and 6A schools in their conference. Again, why can't private schools win big in your world? Why can't they experience similar sustained athletic success like some public schools? I've asked these questions a few times, but you choose not to answer them.

"Private supporters will bring up Le Win, they shouldn't even be in the discussion as they are 1A and there are not many privates in 1A and they should not be punished by a success factor for being good."

You are insufferable. If there WERE lots of competitive private schools in 1A, and Le-Win got bounced from the playoffs by privates every now and then, you'd be the first to whine to high heaven about it. But, because there aren't m/any at the moment, you say we can't include Le-Win as an example of a successful public school that has proven it CAN be done and a public school that Just. Got. Better? You want to have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT