ADVERTISEMENT

Mediocre MC vs best GW team ever

My prediction is . . . the winner of this game will be a finalist. No disrespect for the other teams in the upper bracket, but I think the winner of this game will just be too hot to handle. I feel the same for the winner of L'ville/LWE.

MTC - The main thing standing between your prediction and reality is a possible trip to Batavia. MC possibly avoids that trip, while GW would need Auburn to beat Reavis.

Having not yet seen Batavia, they seem to be a scoring machine. Don't think either of these teams want to make that trip.

Last edited:
On paper, 2 evenly matched teams. I think MC will do their fair share of scoring, but I expect (hope) to see some wrinkles added to GW defense for this critical game. GW offense will also score, and likely score often, especially in the second half. Wouldn't be surprised to see a 35-28 game.

Not this year chuck. This is a GW team that probably half the state - or half the people who pay attention to this stuff closely - think was the number 1 team in Illinois; and if not number 1, certainly number 2. That half that believes GW was #1 includes an intelligent GW fan base on this site who were not pleased LA topped tGW in the DS Rankings (FWIW).

Meanwhile, MC finished third in the CCL - and noteworthy is that this was not just a down CCL, but one in which PC and RIta were plain and simply bad. MC scored only 13 against PC and were - well - beaten badly by LA.

As a fan of a team that used to play MC at least once a year - there were years when you have to admit - you were not thrilled about playing MC (fans' perspective - we all know the players just want to play); years we knew were our years; and years where you just weren't sure.

Unfortunately, this is one of those years where GW is UP and MC is down. I don't think we can suddenly change the narrative.

The GW fan-base here (you included) is a sage and respectful one, so you won't see them touting themselves much prior to this game.

But it's not simply a coincidence that independent observers like clown and I see GW as a two score favorite.

I hope it's a good game - yes, i'm pulling for MC to pull off the - upset - but not respecting what GW has done and who they have scheduled pre-conference over the last several years is ...enh...not smart. I'm hoping for a great game that ends somewhat similarly to Duke Miami.

Not this year chuck. This is a GW team that probably half the state - or half the people who pay attention to this stuff closely - think was the number 1 team in Illinois; and if not number 1, certainly number 2. That half that believes GW was #1 includes an intelligent GW fan base on this site who were not pleased LA topped tGW in the DS Rankings (FWIW).

Meanwhile, MC finished third in the CCL - and noteworthy is that this was not just a down CCL, but one in which PC and RIta were plain and simply bad. MC scored only 13 against PC and were - well - beaten badly by LA.

As a fan of a team that used to play MC at least once a year - there were years when you have to admit - you were not thrilled about playing MC (fans' perspective - we all know the players just want to play); years we knew were our years; and years where you just weren't sure.

Unfortunately, this is one of those years where GW is UP and MC is down. I don't think we can suddenly change the narrative.

The GW fan-base here (you included) is a sage and respectful one, so you won't see them touting themselves much prior to this game.

But it's not simply a coincidence that independent observers like clown and I see GW as a two score favorite.

I hope it's a good game - yes, i'm pulling for MC to pull off the - upset - but not respecting what GW has done and who they have scheduled pre-conference over the last several years is ...enh...not smart. I'm hoping for a great game that ends somewhat similarly to Duke Miami.

sandbagger

Reactions: JCHILLTOPPERS
As a fellow independent observer, I have to agree with JCH on this one. It seems many are looking at the last MC game and Lenti's playoff record, when evaluating this MC team. While both are relevant, I think you need to look at their full body of work this year. They scored one offensive TD against a down Provi team. BR beat them handily. Loyola beat them handily. They beat a decent Marist team by one TD. This is not a great MC team. They have a multi-game history of turning the ball over quite often. From what I saw in the three games I watched them, their O-line is sub-standard. They were able to adapt to the rainy conditions much better than GBN. I would question what happened to GBN in that game. Most expected a much better effort from them.

While the GBN result gives me some pause in my evaluation of MC (maybe they are better than I thought), it does not change the fact that GBW is the strong favorite at Duchon in this game.

Where is ramblin when I need him.

You and your merry miscreants come to the consensus that GW is the number 1 team in your week 8 DSR. A position earned through the aforementioned challenging schedule. GW finishes their season against AT and with 5 minutes left, the score is 41-7. It is logical that GW saunters to victory in the final regular season DSR, right?

But wait! Loyola pulls off the massively impressive victory over high quality opponent MC. A victory that was aided by two significant breakdowns in KO coverage and a couple of TOs by MC that lead to quick scores. Take away special teams and the two teams are basically tied going into the 4th quarter. But all of you get the vapors seeing a final score that is so massively impressive, you make the most predictable move possible by anointing your beloved as champs. In the aftermath, I tip my hat to LA, but scoff at your predictability.

So now that it's time to finally play GW after all these years, MC is described as low grade dog food. Wait, I can see the title of your next thread..."GW calls MC low grade dog food"

Either
  1. MC is of substantial quality that LAs victory warrants the vault and this weeks game is a defining classic in the making, OR
  2. MC is low grade dog food and you guys dangled the glory in front on GW only to snatch it away under false pretenses.

Who is the one changing the narrative?

The playoffs are a different animal from the regular season. Both MC and GW are experienced playoff teams. I think you have to upgrade your analysis of the regular season for both teams now that we are in the playoffs. I haven't watched MC play this year, and indirect comparisons of scores and performances against common competition is impossible. In my gut, I see MC about 7 points better than OPRF. But that's just speculation. I really don't know. But, I expect to see both teams at war on Saturday.

I watched Batavia this season, against Geneva. Batavia won that game (a big game in that area). GW'S offense is way too much for Batavia 's defense, on GW'S defense is way too fast for Batavia defense.

You and your merry miscreants come to the consensus that GW is the number 1 team in your week 8 DSR. A position earned through the aforementioned challenging schedule. GW finishes their season against AT and with 5 minutes left, the score is 41-7. It is logical that GW saunters to victory in the final regular season DSR, right?

But wait! Loyola pulls off the massively impressive victory over high quality opponent MC. A victory that was aided by two significant breakdowns in KO coverage and a couple of TOs by MC that lead to quick scores. Take away special teams and the two teams are basically tied going into the 4th quarter. But all of you get the vapors seeing a final score that is so massively impressive, you make the most predictable move possible by anointing your beloved as champs. In the aftermath, I tip my hat to LA, but scoff at your predictability.

So now that it's time to finally play GW after all these years, MC is described as low grade dog food. Wait, I can see the title of your next thread..."GW calls MC low grade dog food"

Either
  1. MC is of substantial quality that LAs victory warrants the vault and this weeks game is a defining classic in the making, OR
  2. MC is low grade dog food and you guys dangled the glory in front on GW only to snatch it away under false pretenses.

You forgot one important option....

I changed my vote mostly due to OPRF's defeat over HC.

I never really got a chance to explain it...I was in a big funk those weeks (dog's now up above). ..

When OPRF beat HC, that told me that the HC win was not all it was cracked up to be (good not great). Don't get me wrong, I think it was a very good win, but as far as I was concerned the HC win = the MC win and the OPRF win = the Rice win...relative to GW and LA, obviously. In the end, I found LA's shutout over Rice to be the most impressive win any team in the state had this season. That, for me, was the tie breaker.

I then looked at the two games, LA dominated the two while GW won in much closer games.

Obviously, the title of this this thread is more of a - get your attention - than a true fact, but no one can objectively think this is a you pick'em or even a GW-3.

As far as changing the narrative: just go back pages and review posts. GW fans rightly touted themselves from preseason through week 9 as a number 1 team in state. Meanwhile, the MC fandom went from "maybe Marist was just really good" to "what the hell was that" against LA.

Again: GW is at worst the second ranked team in the state right now; MC was third in a conference of 5 where two teams were pretty bad. No way are GW and MC equals presently.

I really wish GW was in 8a year - that would have been fun.

I'll never take a Lenti team for granted, but there were a few years when JCA played MC when I knew JCA was better on paper - for GW, this is one of those years too.

I will say this, you and chuck have different perspectives on what your defenses will do - you stated the LB's will play back and use their speed, chuck is looking for something more inventive. having played CoM, MC, and the likes for years, and watching those games for many more...MC will be very happy running the dive for 3 yards every single play...IMO, those LB's better play closer and use that speed to pursue, careful not to commit to fast inside as they are used to from that deeper position when they see a dive.

MC was kind of left for dead after week 9 in '04 after PC throttled them. Absolutely whipped them. Bounced back round 1 won at Rita who was 3-4 TDs better then them on paper. lost in semi to PC by 1 in OT to a team far superior then them. Can never underestimate Lenti in playoffs.

Really excited to see the game this weekend, curious to see if Hetlett will run Brodner 25 times. If so, I like our chances... Can't remember MC facing such high profiled back since Rattigan (NV) and Jackson (GN), both were rendered to less than 50 yards. Nonetheless, have we not learned anything over the past decade.

Go MC!

Rhattigan almost had 100 . Was stopped short on a Goal line stand though. MC is playing with house money Sat. All the pressure is on GW at home.they have one of their best teams, players, are at home vs MC who just lost by 4 TDs.

MC was kind of left for dead after week 9 in '04 after PC throttled them. Absolutely whipped them. Bounced back round 1 won at Rita who was 3-4 TDs better then them on paper. lost in semi to PC by 1 in OT to a team far superior then them. Can never underestimate Lenti in playoffs.

i cant stop laughing

You forgot one important option....

I changed my vote mostly due to OPRF's defeat over HC.

I never really got a chance to explain it...I was in a big funk those weeks (dog's now up above). ..

When OPRF beat HC, that told me that the HC win was not all it was cracked up to be (good not great). Don't get me wrong, I think it was a very good win, but as far as I was concerned the HC win = the MC win and the OPRF win = the Rice win...relative to GW and LA, obviously. In the end, I found LA's shutout over Rice to be the most impressive win any team in the state had this season. That, for me, was the tie breaker.

I then looked at the two games, LA dominated the two while GW won in much closer games.

Obviously, the title of this this thread is more of a - get your attention - than a true fact, but no one can objectively think this is a you pick'em or even a GW-3.

As far as changing the narrative: just go back pages and review posts. GW fans rightly touted themselves from preseason through week 9 as a number 1 team in state. Meanwhile, the MC fandom went from "maybe Marist was just really good" to "what the hell was that" against LA.

Again: GW is at worst the second ranked team in the state right now; MC was third in a conference of 5 where two teams were pretty bad. No way are GW and MC equals presently.

I really wish GW was in 8a year - that would have been fun.

I'll never take a Lenti team for granted, but there were a few years when JCA played MC when I knew JCA was better on paper - for GW, this is one of those years too.

I will say this, you and chuck have different perspectives on what your defenses will do - you stated the LB's will play back and use their speed, chuck is looking for something more inventive. having played CoM, MC, and the likes for years, and watching those games for many more...MC will be very happy running the dive for 3 yards every single play...IMO, those LB's better play closer and use that speed to pursue, careful not to commit to fast inside as they are used to from that deeper position when they see a dive.

Is there a font for Flustered? I do believe GW is worthy of a #1 DSR slot based on our absolute throttling of OPRF, and beating an HC team that had their full assortment of weapons and a chip the size Domers ego and wore the shirts to prove it. And we destroyed OPRF on their turf, which was a new one. But my point was not really about GW. It was you hypocritical knuckleheads and your respect for LAs victory over MC and using that to vault LA.

I will give you a 10 pt spread on paper before you add the Lenti factor. Never seen it in action but he is obviously worth two TDs in big games.

As far as this game goes, I trust Hetlett to scheme. I just finished the LA / MC game and see where they loaded the box going grill to grill with LBs on guards. Maybe Hetlett will sneak his guys up. GW has the beef up front to run gap stunts and stuff dives.

I love you guys and your DSR, but I couldn't miss the opportunity to call you on your shifting narrative.

Really excited to see the game this weekend, curious to see if Hetlett will run Brodner 25 times. If so, I like our chances... Can't remember MC facing such high profiled back since Rattigan (NV) and Jackson (GN), both were rendered to less than 50 yards. Nonetheless, have we not learned anything over the past decade.

Go MC!

You realize Hetlett hasn't run Brodner 25 times all season right? At least three teams this year dedicated significant resources to "stop Brodner" and each time, the GW QB threw for 200+. Brodner generally runs the ball 15-20 times a game and catches 2-3 passes. And scores 3.6 TDs a game. Every game. OC generally takes what is given and hasn't shown any futile allegiance to Brodner when the D overcompensates.

Brodner is a team first guy and is just as happy playing decoy and opening up the field for others. You will see him all over the field. Just don't give him a sliver of daylight. He has big boy speed and knows how to finish.

Why haven't u had JC ranked#1 in DSR?

Just giving you a hard time. In the DSR, I take the MCHSalum approach. I'm more critical of my team than all others. Don't want to be labeled a homer and be confused with the Naz fans.

And capnbill....those DSR voters are a fickle bunch. Didn't Ramblin compare them to pre-teen girls following the trendiest boy band?

And capnbill....those DSR voters are a fickle bunch. Didn't Ramblin compare them to pre-teen girls following the trendiest boy band?
Indeed

Thanks @JCHILLTOPPERS for starting this thread. That was like a good dose of therapy. I just wish you would have included the "relatively" in front of mediocre as I had chosen my words very carefully.

Cheers boys

Either

Check my vote @capnbillhitters. No waffling by me. Should be a great game on Lake Ellyn, with Bentleys, butlers and drunk GEMs roaming the streets. I say the Caravan is in for a tough few hours, will put up a fight and drop to the Prep Bowl.

Reactions: capnbillhitters
Maybe Edgy can tap you into his super secret backdoor password protected viewing site which I'm sure doesn't exist.

Or watch on the NFHS network. I'm sure you subscribe, no?

Maybe Edgy can tap you into his super secret backdoor password protected viewing site which I'm sure doesn't exist.

Or watch on the NFHS network. I'm sure you subscribe, no?
Eh...I should have been more specific. ..looking for a way to get there.

If you understand football, GW is a great team, but their skill set plays right into the hands of MC's strengths...
You realize Hetlett hasn't run Brodner 25 times all season right? At least three teams this year dedicated significant resources to "stop Brodner" and each time, the GW QB threw for 200+. Brodner generally runs the ball 15-20 times a game and catches 2-3 passes. And scores 3.6 TDs a game. Every game. OC generally takes what is given and hasn't shown any futile allegiance to Brodner when the D overcompensates.

Brodner is a team first guy and is just as happy playing decoy and opening up the field for others. You will see him all over the field. Just don't give him a sliver of daylight. He has big boy speed and knows how to finish.

If you understand football, GW is a great team, but their skill set plays right into the hands of MC's strengths...

I understand football enough to not compare Glenbard North and Glenbard West offenses and act like stopping one means you stop another.

One is a power I that relies heavily on a guy to carry 35-40 times. The other is a jet sweep single back set that relies heavily on getting speed into open spaces with play action thrown in for balance.

I am not doubting MC's strengths at all. But you seem to think we run Brodner from an I and that he pounds the LOS 35 times a game. Watch some film on GW, you will never see a power I. You will see 4 receivers involved. You will see traps and counters and all kinds of stuff. If you are saying MC's strength is defending against speed in space and a strong passing game, OK. I have yet to hear that.

This is the kind of match up that I wish GW had all season long. I live for football Saturdays at Duchon, but it seems the WS Silver has been a bust with the exception of West for the last five or so seasons. Anxious to see this game. This bracket didn't do West any favors. Strength galore. Guessing MC has a bit of a bee in their bonnet with that 16 seed and the two loses. Winner will be in DeKalb.

I knew 1927 cause have Grandfather's yearbook. looked up GW on ihsa. MC definitely wins in 1927 6-0 that's all I know.

The 1926 GW (actually just Glenbard) was better than the 27 team. The 26 won the first of many WSS titles. You would see that on the scoreboard on Saturday if you weren't playing out your school girl fantasies in Lville

At gw wws last year I told dean I was gonna be a father. He was the first person I told. It was right next to the flavored ice stand.

Dean, go to gw

Reactions: capnbillhitters
Check my vote @capnbillhitters. No waffling by me. Should be a great game on Lake Ellyn, with Bentleys, butlers and drunk GEMs roaming the streets. I say the Caravan is in for a tough few hours, will put up a fight and drop to the Prep Bowl.
Drunk GEMs after the game, either way. Never saw a Bentley or a butler though. Love the reference. Had some trick or treaters dress as GEMS a few years ago. Cap are you getting any work done??

played golf with Mr & Mrs Habercam today. She was a peach but he was more a prick......ly pear. Talked in her backswing, stepped in her line intentionally, real gangsta stuff.

Reactions: mchsalumni
Drunk GEMs after the game, either way. Never saw a Bentley or a butler though. Love the reference. Had some trick or treaters dress as GEMS a few years ago. Cap are you getting any work done??

In order to be accurate in portraying a drunk GEM, you need to have your first glass of Pinot Grigio by 9:30 a.m. Otherwise you are just a pretender.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT